Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm just glad I don't need to hear Matt screaming whatever Simpsons or OSWReview reference he thinks is funny this week at every single oppertunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SethSeries posted:

If folk are interested, I can actually write a real effort post as I go but the biggest thing early on that really struck me was when they were talking about Tales and it felt like Matt was legit upset, Liam was trying to smooth stuff out, Pat was going in and Woolie was indifferent. I am, like, 8 episodes in tho.

I'd enjoy the effortposts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think at a certain point Matt, aware that LPs with him and Pat did the biggest view numbers, was forcing himself to sit through games he wasn't really interested in while if Pat didn't want to be in an LP he just...wouldn't.

Which I think goes back to the Woolie Arkham Asylum thing. He is very clearly not enjoying the game. He doesn't like the combat and doesn't care about learning it. He doesn't like the stealth. He doesn't like Batman. He doesn't like the guff he's getting from chat. He's slogging through it and it shows. If you go watch his Yakuza videos (0 or 7) it's very obvious he's into those games, or even back to the Halo series where even though he was bad at the shooting he was still having fun.

I don't think any of them were ever any good about feigning enthusiasm for something they weren't into. Matt just stands out because he was in the most LPs by far.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 27, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
According to little V, he has like a year salary's worth of cameras so Woolie's not hurting for money

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

According to little V, he has like a year salary's worth of cameras so Woolie's not hurting for money

It's all on credit though, Woolie's in Nicolas Cage levels of debt.

Why there's a castle in Canada is beyond me, I had no idea they had any.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'd enjoy the effortposts.

Alright, gently caress it.

SBFC 09:

The biggest things that kinda stuck out to me in this episode are talks on Kickstarter, Dengeki Bunko and some small remarks. A big chunk of the episode is continued excitement of Mighty Number 9. Yacht Club and some Shantae stuff. I had a bit of a chuckle outside of the elephant in the room of MN9 when they all kinda out how much they've spent on personal kickstarted stuff. This was prior to them all getting burned by Kickstarter in one way or another, so a lot of these conversations are really funny with hindsight as you hear about some poo poo that never even came out. Big shoutouts to Jeremy Parish's work throughout the talk since this was around the time he and some older 1UP staff were crowdfunding a new retro games magazine, but honestly, Jeremy Parish should be celebrated anytime he comes up.

The fighting game stuff has a mix of aging poorly and kinda foreshadowing stuff. I'm not gonna talk much about Episodes 1-8 because they were background noise, but one thing I really noticed was the constant dogpiling on any anime Liam liked that was not a group consensus like. He gets interrupted like six times trying to explain what Dengeki Bunko even is before the gang kinda descends into "why can't you just make a cool thing on its' own instead of wrapping it in dumb loli anime" which, is really funny seeing as Dengeki has rollback now and I think that got praised on the podcast. The iconic "Arcana Hearts" story came up, and while I wholeheartedly agree with writing it off, I only do such because it is my level of not ok creepy anime. it's really frustrating to Liam get dogpiled for the sake of liking anime that isn't just flavor of the week. There's a line in this segment that's really funny where Woolie goes "hey there's FGC news" and Liam is like "again" in a way that just hits different considering the current fanbase gets mad tight over Pat/Woolie talking about FGs for more than five minutes.

Lastly is a bunch of anime discussion. They discuss Kill La Kill Episode 1 and Liam kinda calls them out for immediately calling everything by Gurren terminology. This is very funny considering how commonplace things like punchgirls became in their vocabulary and the huge amounts of goofy shorthand they use. I will kinda warn anyone against this episode. They talk about a prop capcom gave out that's kinda transphobic and Matt says that one of his rats was named poison because they couldn't figure out the gender so that may trigger some of the LGBT folk. It is very much a thing of 2013, but honestly, it wasn't ok then and it still isn't now. I get folk hella mad about Liam being contrarian, but I'm not really gonna act like I wouldn't feel the exact same way in his shoes.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SethSeries posted:

continued excitement of Mighty Number 9
:allears:

Aged like fine wine :discourse:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Liam stuff reminds me of how Jason on Giant Bomb gets poo poo on for having gaming interests that no one else on the staff does so they call them "Jason games" and just zone out whenever he talks about them on the podcast

It sucks there too!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Big Scary Owl posted:

Got any interesting moments to post? It's been ages since the old podcast

This is less moments and more long-form insanity, but in retrospect there were a few really big whoas:

The MGSV LP was really interesting. I didn't pick up on it at all the first time I watched it, but I re-watched the early bits again and knowing that a) Liam had a lot of problems with Pat from the getgo and b) they record in roughly 3-hour blocks, it's really cringworthy. There are what look to me like entire recording sessions where Liam gets tilted early on, and just refuses to talk to Pat for the rest of the day: there are whole hours-long blocks of episodes with Pat trying to give him setups or get him talking about something, and Liam ignoring Pat entirely and just snarkily narrating his own gameplay like it was a one-person twitch stream.

One of the early survival horror thingies- I think either RE2 or SH: Downpour. Matt started having trouble with the difficulty towards the end and basically shut down. Pat was a pretty huge dick about it too, so just like a court of law nobody was innocent, but what looked at the time like them doing the straight man/incompetent goofball bit was obviously just Matt being really pissed-off and toxic, and Pat going "Dude, don't be such a baby, it's just a loving game."

The Demon's Soul stream they did with woolie and germanspy. I think this was around the time Matt was having problems with his mom's health and stuff, so it might've been personal issues unrelated to their chemistry, but matt was basically there against his will- he said right at the beginning that he wasn't familiar with or particularly interested in fromsoft games, started drinking early in the stream, and the vast majority of his (constant) contributions consisted of loudly telling the group that he didn't know what was going on because he didn't know or care about souls games, and yelling out random kim kardashian/reality TV references that were less actual references, and more just things he was saying.

100% of the podcasts they did in the last... maybe 2-3 years. Woolie and Pat having a great time, Matt looking at his phone or staring at his hands and getting pissy when someone tried to get him engaged. Matt cheerily talking about his vacation and getting drunk for 45 minutes, then getting audibly pissed off when Pat and Woolie want to talk about obscure Canadian dog shows.

The Bully LP. Matt seemed pretty up in session 1, kinda still there in session 2, and the remaining 20 episodes or so were Pat having a blast, and Matt constantly sighing and making GBS threads on everything in sight, a-la Woolie in Arkham.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 28, 2021

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Batman of Wul-en-ar.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did Woolie enjoy playing Aegis Rim and Death Stranding? I haven't watched either of those LPs yet.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grouchio posted:

Did Woolie enjoy playing Aegis Rim and Death Stranding? I haven't watched either of those LPs yet.

Duuno about Aegis Rim but Woolie seemed to enjoy Death Stranding except when Kojima goes max Kojima.

Really both Pat and Woolie have been trying to branch out to games they would not have otherwise tried, and that's commendable. But Woolie kind of needs someone to guide him through which is why Yakuza and the Halo LPs were way better, because otherwise he engages with things purely on his terms and that doesn't always work (Arkham, or especially 3 Houses).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The best branching out so far is Pat playing Hitman, a game I'd never expect him to play but in hindsight, exactly the game to dig it's claws into that terrifying morass of a mind.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I am about 20 minutes into Episode 10: Aryan Resurrection and boy howdy.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

This is less moments and more long-form insanity, but in retrospect there were a few really big whoas:
One of the early survival horror thingies- I think either RE2 or SH: Downpour. Matt started having trouble with the difficulty towards the end and basically shut down. Pat was a pretty huge dick about it too, so just like a court of law nobody was innocent, but what looked at the time like them doing the straight man/incompetent goofball bit was obviously just Matt being really pissed-off and toxic, and Pat going "Dude, don't be such a baby, it's just a loving game."

Pretty sure that's the end game boss in the Homecoming LP, which to be fair is a giant turd.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Grouchio posted:

ironically for aegis rim, woolie enjoyed it way more than the audience did because he was mega into the gameplay + story, but INSISTED on stopping every 3 minutes of gameplay to do 10 minutes of """"theorizing"""" and talking about the story without playing the game

like theres literally dozens of episodes in the LP where there's like 10 minutes of gameplay in a 50 minute episode. at least 1 episode had zero gameplay progress.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Maybe it's because I just didn't go through a lot of LPs but the podcast seems like watching friendships die real time.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SethSeries posted:

Maybe it's because I just didn't go through a lot of LPs but the podcast seems like watching friendships die real time.

To be fair, you are going through this looking for signs of friction and a metric ton of hindsight.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

To be fair, you are going through this looking for signs of friction and a metric ton of hindsight.

Its real funny because I didn't go in with that intent, it just kinda forced my hand, but yeah. Thats a good point. I originally threw it on just to have something to study to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The best branching out so far is Pat playing Hitman, a game I'd never expect him to play but in hindsight, exactly the game to dig it's claws into that terrifying morass of a mind.
I dunno, him getting utterly hooked on satisfactory was nice and unexpected.

I'm still picking away at his factorio stream but it'd be cool if he got deeper into that too, the addition of a persistent threat is occasionally annoying but also helps me think strategically. I'm currently working my way towards gold science juice and the biters are getting much more aggressive due to the MASSIVE cloud of pollution the size of new york over my factories, I've really started kicking into high gear and about to start mass producing drones to autorepair my defensive fortifications, so I won't have to babysit them when they get damaged by spitters.

outside of my fortification lines, the biter colonies are getting progressively denser. I expect by the time I'm done with this game to see solid red on the map on the other side of the walls.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It's kind of weird to see the rest of the Arkham stuff, since I only really caught the very start and final recordings live and you can definitely see the difference there, but it didn't seem nearly as bad as some of the journey to it is.

In less complaining news:

https://twitter.com/theartoflaina/status/1376073388582559747

this is great.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Woolie doing the Grandpa Simpson "Oop" turnaround running into a room full of enemies in today's Arkham part is some top tier physical comedy.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Woolie is some next level lovely at Arkham. How do you suck that loving bad at baby's first combat system? He doesn't even have the poisoned brain fighting gamer excuse because it's built around building meter and doing a super. Dude just loving sucks rear end incredibly in the most train wreck fashion. Guy is just filling a black DarksydePhil hole at this point.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thread fulla hot takes this week.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nohman posted:

Woolie is some next level lovely at Arkham. How do you suck that loving bad at baby's first combat system? He doesn't even have the poisoned brain fighting gamer excuse because it's built around building meter and doing a super. Dude just loving sucks rear end incredibly in the most train wreck fashion. Guy is just filling a black DarksydePhil hole at this point.

Look I don't think the AA playthrough is good or that he's doing good at it but this is some wild hyperbole. Not everyone bad at a video game is DSP. C'mon.

What's happening is he's not enjoying the game so he's not actually trying to improve or giving a poo poo. It's bad, but the only out at this point is just dropping the game and Woolie's stubborn. It's bad and he's at fault, sure, but again watch him play any game he actually enjoys instead if you want to see a good Woolie LP.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 29, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
My favorite moments of the Best Friends videos were Matt's laughter outbursts (usually when Pat accidentally uses a healing or special item and gets mad about it).

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pennsylvanian posted:

My favorite moments of the Best Friends videos were Matt's laughter outbursts (usually when Pat accidentally uses a healing or special item and gets mad about it).

When Matt was enthusiastic about a game it was great, like all of the Midway games in Fisticuffs tended to have this too, them playing War Gods, Mace: The Dark Age and stuff like that.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The last great moment from the channel I remember was Matt getting really excited about the prospect of God of War time traveling to the modern day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Look I don't think the AA playthrough is good or that he's doing good at it but this is some wild hyperbole. Not everyone bad at a video game is DSP. C'mon.

What's happening is he's not enjoying the game so he's not actually trying to improve or giving a poo poo. It's bad, but the only out at this point is just dropping the game and Woolie's stubborn. It's bad and he's at fault, sure, but again watch him play any game he actually enjoys instead if you want to see a good Woolie LP.

Which is a real shame because that's only making it take longer and increasing the amount of time he's spending suffering through it.

Meanwhile, big brained players in Arkham Knight using the worst costume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSsCDSE_hGw

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It's too bad there's zero chance Woolie will get to this point in Yakuza 7 until after his sponsorship deal's done and he gets back to the game on his own at who knows when.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

SBFC Episode 10: Aryan Resurrection

Whew boy, this episode is a lot. I think its' probably my favorite episode of the ten I've listened to over the last two weeks, but it starts off with discussions of how animals just mangle and assault each other. Major topics in this are Pokemon and then some discussions around both regular kickstarter and other crowdfunding. Pokemon talk starts to drag on a bit, but gets curbed by Matt wanting to move on since he hasn't really gotten a chance to play it. Matt spends an early chunk of the episode talking about his New York trip, which I kinda want to go back and watch the video he put out on it because 2014 NYC sounds magical. Pokemon talk is mostly Liam/Pat/Woolie all going in super hard on the game before moving on to the news section.

Re-listening to these podcasts has been an incredible time capsule for how certain aspects of the industry were perceived right before the last gen console launches. Seeing public opinion on Capcom and Square being incredibly negative is really funny considering MH Rise and FFXIV are both massive PR successes for these companies and were just a few years after a resurgence of quality for both of them. The gang starts talking about how crowdfunding might be the revolution for B games and non-traditional AAA titles returning, which honestly, they were kinda right. A lot of current B games and indie developers got their successes via Kickstarter and then became sustainable on their particular brand of bullshit. They mentioned Square's initiative for Indiegogo on some of their projects and all I could really think of was that wack rear end Fear Effect game that came of it.

I forgot where the shitpost title came from, but Pat botching Alien Resurrection to Aryan Resurrection is kinda magical. It also got me thinking about how great a Terminator/Robocop double feature would be. Lastly, while this is a really good timecapsule for 2014 gaming, some ableist slurs get dropped. It's kinda unfortunate, but all the guys have since moved away from this stuff so I'm not really gonna die on this hill.

Lastly, was kinda surprised at how political the guys could get early on. They talk about the Foxconn issues with Sony and I was expecting "oh but my video games tho" and instead got them talking about how capitalism is hosed. Liam saying he wishes those folk actually got paid was nice even if the messaging was kinda bumbled.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How did Paige get her new layout/office again?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Aryan Resurrection is still the best podcast title, though Three-fifths of a Podcast and RKO That Giraffe For A Save State are strong contenders.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Goosebumps: God Arrange and Miracle Girls Festival: Let Me Bury Your Child: Stop Me From Bearing Your Child are some personal faves

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

"Cut Out The Middle Man, Just gently caress The Wig", "Escalate Immediately To Gun Violence", "Sneaky Stab Attack At The Start Of The 2nd Round", "How Hath God Blighted Pat This Week?" and "Kill New Game Plus Gunbaby Before It's Too Late" are some other standout titles,

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 29, 2021

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Welcome to Patswitchz is very strong I M O

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Which episode was it that had the email from a guy who tried to submit the podcast for an award but his boss shut him down after seeing the episode titles?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Episode 132.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo0mwyfkI6k

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

100% of the podcasts they did in the last... maybe 2-3 years. Woolie and Pat having a great time, Matt looking at his phone or staring at his hands and getting pissy when someone tried to get him engaged. Matt cheerily talking about his vacation and getting drunk for 45 minutes, then getting audibly pissed off when Pat and Woolie want to talk about obscure Canadian dog shows.

This is the one that sticks out to me as being the most obvious because I remember dreading hearing Matt on the podcast. He would start every show basically having a semi coherent solo presentation about some random thing he saw or did (yes that’s part of the how is your week thing but in Matt’s segments people rarely said anything and there was rarely any discussion about it towards the end) and then he would be very very quiet for the rest of the podcast or often just leave entirely partway through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I go to the wiki to check on the title list, see what I can find that's good and the first one my eyes land on is
"Christmascast 2017: It wasn't about Arby's, it was about abortion."
then there's "Grind your party member's kids" and "Incestuous Child Pusher is too Pure for this World" :stare: wish the magazine writer dude would've kept trying like once every two years and update us which titles made them not get a spot