Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

im saint germain posted:

The kind used specifically in curry (and also beef bowls) is called fukujinzuke - it is indeed crunchy, but all the times I've had it, it was notably milder than sushi ginger (unless it's particularly weak), and a bit sweeter. (Granted, you can put it on anything.)

Fukujinzuke doesn't have any ginger in it. It's made from a mix of pickled vegetables that varies slightly by region.

For reference, the pickled ginger found on beef bowls (gyudon) is called beni shouga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Tired Moritz posted:

Maybe that's a bad angle but that's a hank hill rear end if I ever saw one.

I think it's straight up anatomy failure. The torso is about half again as long as it should be, even by anime standards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea that figurine is a bit much given that Makoto's character wasn't very comfortable with her biker costume as it was.
Probably the thing I hate most about P5. These girls are supposed to be wearing what represents letting themselves cut loose and run wild, and they’ve been given outfits that make them actively uncomfortable.

It’s the same kind of problem as why the nude modeling thing sucks so much.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Drakenel posted:

I think it's straight up anatomy failure. The torso is about half again as long as it should be, even by anime standards.

Persona characters are just weird beanpoles in general, their neck in particular are absurd.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ann especially makes no sense because the game flipflops constantly on whether or not shes confident in her looks. like shes a model and at one point ryuji pervs on her and she laughs at it and during the beach scene she makes fun of him for staring at her bikini, which all gives the vibe of 'confident in her body' but then also shes embarrassed by the panther outfit and theres the nude modeling gag. now obviously 'nude modeling' is a step above the other stuff but like, they put that scene in the game specifically to have a gag where she's shy about her body, and the panther thing especially is just bizarre. and theres other times ryuji pervs on her and shes shy and mad instead of laughing it off.

like there's two angles you can go here

1) shes a half-white girl who plays to the stereotypes of blonde girls/american girls by being flirty and confident and is punished for this by kamoshida ('she was asking for it,' etc) and the thieves allow her to show the anger and intelligence she's not allowed to express as part of her shtick, and also that shes allowed to be who she is without being treated as an object

2) people project 'flirty/confident' onto her just due to her being an attractive half-foreign girl and shes actually just kind of normal and if anything is slightly ashamed of herself, and the thieves allow her to develop that confidence while still being true to herself and not making herself the object people see her as

they kind of just split the difference which in the end makes her feel like they do nothing with her. it isnt helped by how all over the place her s. link is.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

royal, lol - can't imagine how much the cat must tell you what to do in vanilla

Basically every time you can only do stuff in leblanc, you couldn't do anything.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

PMush Perfect posted:

Probably the thing I hate most about P5. These girls are supposed to be wearing what represents letting themselves cut loose and run wild, and they’ve been given outfits that make them actively uncomfortable.

It’s the same kind of problem as why the nude modeling thing sucks so much.

I didn’t like it when it was just Ann and immediately after tearing down a creep for sexualizing her she gets thrown into a skintight leather catsuit, but there was a line about Haru after her costume was revealed about how each person’s costume was a reflection of what a hero looked like to them and it made more sense to me. The costumes are all so disparate and it’s a reflection of each character’s influences. Honestly Makoto’s costume is the one that least feels like that because I don’t really know what it is trying to resemble. Like she likes action movies and cop/crime dramas but skintight leather doesn’t quite fit as well those influences it does for Ann, who looks like a European spy heroine, or Futaba who looks like a hacker.

I know what the actual answer is (game made by mostly dudes who like women in skintight costumes)

Endorph posted:

ann especially makes no sense because the game flipflops constantly on whether or not shes confident in her looks. like shes a model and at one point ryuji pervs on her and she laughs at it and during the beach scene she makes fun of him for staring at her bikini, which all gives the vibe of 'confident in her body' but then also shes embarrassed by the panther outfit and theres the nude modeling gag. now obviously 'nude modeling' is a step above the other stuff but like, they put that scene in the game specifically to have a gag where she's shy about her body, and the panther thing especially is just bizarre. and theres other times ryuji pervs on her and shes shy and mad instead of laughing it off.

I think someone earlier in the thread said this but Ann is comfortable when she’s in control. She models on her own terms, she’s wearing her bikini at the beach, but the Panther costume just sort of appears, and the times where the boys decide that Ann must go use her body to get poo poo done it’s very much not her in charge. I think that post brought up the car ride in the desert where she felt sweaty and gross and the boys were all trying to look down her shirt as the same sort of situation. It’s understandable and I would bet that a lot of people whose job it is to look good feel the same way. When it’s on your terms and you have the power, you know you’re hot and feel confident in that, but when someone else is trying to push you or take away your control then you start to feel insecure and unsafe.

Now, just because I can make a solid character-based reading doesn’t mean I don’t think the game leans wayyyyyyy too much on this. I think the nude modeling jokes are too much, and how close they come to the Kamoshida arc is uncomfortable. I think that much of the time the game tries to make things in character and make sense from a story perspective so that they can justify it but just because you can justify it doesn’t mean you should do it

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YaketySass posted:

Persona characters are just weird beanpoles in general, their neck in particular are absurd.

Spare a thought for poor Giraffe Yosuke.

One thing I did like is that P5 actually varied character models a bit, at least for the guys, so Ryuji looks like he actually works out and Yusuke's a skinny twig. In P4 you might think Kanji was really buff but his model just give him a terrible hunchback and when he's actually shirtless he's about as bulky as any other dude other than Naoki.

Endorph posted:

My (possibly wrong) take on it is that Ann is totally cool with it when she's in control and she's aware that it's going on. Like showing off for magazines? Her call. Turning up the Charm on Shadows? Okay. Ryuji gawking openly at her on the beach? Yeah sure. But underhanded tricks like Kamoshida or the guys staring over her shoulder in the desert? Not her jam.

So yeah, the Yusuke modelling thing was not her thing because she was basically being pressed into it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My (possibly wrong) take on it is that Ann is totally cool with it when she's in control and she's aware that it's going on. Like showing off for magazines? Her call. Turning up the Charm on Shadows? Okay. Ryuji gawking openly at her on the beach? Yeah sure. But underhanded tricks like Kamoshida or the guys staring over her shoulder in the desert? Not her jam.

So yeah, the Yusuke modelling thing was not her thing because she was basically being pressed into it.

That goes for most people, honestly. I know I'm irritated by the catcalls from the teenagers I work with, but a dirty joke when everyone is in on it doesn't feel like an insult.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I didn’t like it when it was just Ann and immediately after tearing down a creep for sexualizing her she gets thrown into a skintight leather catsuit, but there was a line about Haru after her costume was revealed about how each person’s costume was a reflection of what a hero looked like to them and it made more sense to me.

No wonder Yoshizawa's shares so many elements with Joker's

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harrow posted:

No wonder Yoshizawa's shares so many elements with Joker's

Hers clicked for me instantly because of the transformation sequence: she’s a magical girl! I dunno if there’s a particular character that it’s most modeled after but that transformation was 100% Sailor Moon and friends.

Honestly the one that made the least sense to me was Akechi’s good boy costume, mostly because when I saw it my first and only thought was “oh poo poo it’s Sgt Pepper’s bandleader”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My issue with the 'what a hero looks like to them' thing is that why don't Makoto and Ann recognize that instead of going 'oh gross this outfit makes me uncomfortable.'

Like you can have ann go 'I mean it's a little tight but wow its just like the bad guy from the show I grew up watching!' instead of 'i hate this'

I do like that Ryuji and Makoto both look like Fist of the North Star extras and Ryuji makes a fist of the north star joke in Makoto's intro dungeon that Makoto picks up on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also Haru's general vibe is very Princess Knight Sapphire/Rose of Versailles. Rose of Versailles is set in france and Milady, Haru's original persona, is from the french novel the three musketeers. And Princess Knight Sapphire has a generally french aesthetic.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

I do like that Ryuji and Makoto both look like Fist of the North Star extras and Ryuji makes a fist of the north star joke in Makoto's intro dungeon that Makoto picks up on.

Isn’t their Showtime a Fist of the North Star reference, too?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Isn’t their Showtime a Fist of the North Star reference, too?

Literally yes

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

My issue with the 'what a hero looks like to them' thing is that why don't Makoto and Ann recognize that instead of going 'oh gross this outfit makes me uncomfortable.'

Like you can have ann go 'I mean it's a little tight but wow its just like the bad guy from the show I grew up watching!' instead of 'i hate this'

I mean, liking a costume on someone else doesn't mean you'd want to wear it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I thiiiink there's a line or two where Joker or Ryuji's outfits get ribbed, or they rib reach other, so there might be an inkling of an idea about feeling embarrassed about literally wearing your raw personality on your sleeve or it not geling with other people, but having girls just be embarrassed in that way is the lamest direction to take.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I mean, liking a costume on someone else doesn't mean you'd want to wear it.
yes but she just defaults to 'i dont want to wear this!' and not 'i like this costume but i dont want to wear this,' is my point.

the fact that she finds the costume cool and its based on a character she admires, is tucked away in like one s. link throwaway line and one mementos line you might not even see. the average player just experiences it as kyaaa, im in a skimpy outfit. which is boring!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I don’t recall Makoto actually disliking her outfit the same way Ann does. She gets a little embarrassed because someone comments on it looking super hardcore punk apocalypse, which she seems to not really tell people she’s into (see her reactions elsewhere when Fist of the North Star gets mentioned and she kind of gets embarrassed/confrontational over knowing it). Ann straight up is uncomfortable because she’s just been through poo poo with Kamoshida and isn’t aware the outfit is her own cognitive choice, just that it’s been put on her by something she doesn’t understand.

I definitely think there needed to be a follow up of Ann and her costume, because I get what it’s going for and the game is relatively consistent in Ann liking to look sexy for other people based on her own control of that sexuality. Which her costume and whip are pretty much a dominatrix outfit which yeah. Perhaps it could’ve come up with Makoto, Ann talking to her when she shows her embarrassment (not discomfort) over it by sharing that her own costume comes from some show she watched as a kid. Heck look at Carmen, she’s utterly in control of two lovestruck men, Ann’s spiritually awakened persona is a woman taking control of others through her looks and mind and power.

I kind of wish that Akechi was uncomfortable in his outfit. It’s exactly as childish as Makoto’s punk apocalypse thing (in that it’s literally based on their childhood tv watching). He’s a feather man ranger but fancy, that’s the gag with his costume I’m pretty sure. A princely hero for the detective prince’s second coming.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 28, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's some Mementos dialogue where Makoto mentions that she's getting used to the outfit but then she's like "ugh but I don't want to be used to it" or something like that. I think she's probably the most uncomfortable with her outfit out of everyone. Ann at least has a scene or two where it seems to have grown on her.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I kind of wish that Akechi was uncomfortable in his outfit. It’s exactly as childish as Makoto’s punk apocalypse thing (in that it’s literally based on their childhood tv watching). He’s a feather man ranger but fancy, that’s the gag with his costume I’m pretty sure. A princely hero for the detective prince’s second coming.

I suppose for him it's consciously a facade, so even if he is uncomfortable with it, he plays it off like it suits him. He mentions as much in the third semester when Joker notices he's in his Dark Akechi outfit, saying something along the lines of, "No need to pretend to be the noble detective prince anymore."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 28, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Harrow posted:

There's some Mementos dialogue where Makoto mentions that she's getting used to the outfit but then she's like "ugh but I don't want to be used to it" or something like that. I think she's probably the most uncomfortable with her outfit out of everyone. Ann at least has a scene or two where it seems to have grown on her.

Feels a bit like Makoto wants to be the strict no-nonsense one of the group and her outfit reflects a part of her that is very much not that, because it’s literally her enjoyment of hyper action anime like Fist of the North Star or the Dragon Kung-Fu movies made manifest.

She also plays along with the Showtime with Ryuji but shuts him down at the end from the actual reference and fun times.

Ideally you could explore her need to be serious and in control in some sort of, I dunno, side story about her and her issues. Perhaps touch on how it relates to her perception, love and interaction with/of Sae and the Police Force as a whole. Surely there’s some already existing system in Persona for such a story to be told. Some sort of, social interaction story system.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ideally you could explore her need to be serious and in control in some sort of, I dunno, side story about her and her issues. Perhaps touch on how it relates to her perception, love and interaction with/of Sae and the Police Force as a whole. Surely there’s some already existing system in Persona for such a story to be told. Some sort of, social interaction story system.

If only...

Really though this is another thing I really liked about the third semester in Royal and a reason why it has me optimistic for the future of the series (since it wasn't directed by Hashino and he's done with Persona now). It actually re-centers the characters' actual conflicts and focuses on their actual character development and what it means to them. What a concept!

I can see why Makoto's confidant is what it is, a story about her need to save people wrapped in trappings of her learning a bit more about her peers--but it's just such a disappointing side-track from her actual backstory, motivations, and central conflict.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Makoto’s social link is kinda dumb because parts of it resemble a show where an alien comes to earth and has to have poo poo explained to them.

I went on one of those mini-dates with her to Dome Town and she was like “I’ve never been to one of these before I wonder why hoo-mans like them so much”, which is just not an interesting character beat at all. The social link plays with it a little but you quit early on and go follow a different line which is weird for a different reason, but there are still moments like that elsewhere. It’s not even that she’s never been to an amusement park, which would make sense for someone who was mostly raised by a single father who was a police officer, but they really brush over all of the interesting stuff and turn her into a character from 3rd Rock From The Sun

There are also moments where she does something surprising, like being scared of ghosts and it’s just there to be a moment where she jumps into the protag’s arms instead of an interesting character beat. Makoto is such a Velma how did that happen?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 28, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Makoto’s social link is kinda dumb because parts of it resemble a show where an alien comes to earth and has to have poo poo explained to them.

I went on one of those mini-dates with her to Dome Town and she was like “I’ve never been to one of these before I wonder why hoo-mans like them so much”, which is just not an interesting character beat at all. The social link plays with it a little but you quit early on and go follow a different line which is weird for a different reason., but there are still moments like that elsewhere. It’s not even that she’s never been to an amusement park, which would make sense for someone who was mostly raised by a single father who was a police officer, but they really brush over all of the interesting stuff and turn her into a character from 3rd Rock From The Sun
its kind of just the general flaw of these games where they take one character trait and hammer on it and play it up until its kind of absurd, even if the character has other traits. some characters get this worse than others but like, yusuke cant just be a little broke he has to constantly talk about starving, that kinda thing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Endorph posted:

its kind of just the general flaw of these games where they take one character trait and hammer on it and play it up until its kind of absurd, even if the character has other traits. some characters get this worse than others but like, yusuke cant just be a little broke he has to constantly talk about starving, that kinda thing.

To be fair, that’s not actually because he has no money. It’s because he’s got terrible priorities with his money. He buys expensive art supplies and lobsters, he has money he just doesn’t use it on food.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair, that’s not actually because he has no money. It’s because he’s got terrible priorities with his money. He buys expensive art supplies and lobsters, he has money he just doesn’t use it on food.
see thats a funny joke but the issue is they do like 99% 'i have no money' and 1% 'i spend all my money on useless stuff' so everyone just takes it as 'i have no money'

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

December Spoilers:

the scene where Shido reveals his guilt is incredibly funny because the two guys in the frame are wilding out instead of like, tackling him or telling the cameraman cut or doing anything other than flailing with a dumbass look on their face

Edit:

Even larger end of game spoilers:

honestly I think what makes me maddest about how this game treats Ann is that she is still by far my favorite character in the game. If you listed off the most noticeable character traits (hot half-American teenage model who wears a leather catsuit) you would think “oh no what am I getting into” and despite the moments where the game lives down to that expectation, she rocks because her characterization remains consistent: she’s kind, she cares about her friends, she grows into someone who wants to keep future young women out of the lovely situation she found herself in. You watch her grow through the whole game. The stakes for her in that first palace are so real and the moments where she takes control are awesome, and in the sequence where you get everyone back out of their malaise in the Velvet Room I saved her for last because I knew that her talking about giving up would tear me up and it did. Mad props to the VA there, I think the line “I never want to feel that way again” is probably my favorite line in the game, not because of the words but the delivery.

I have more thoughts about the end but I still haven’t actually beaten the boss yet. I just needed to say that because every time I see Ann/Morgana’s Showtime attack I see that boob jiggle and shake my head

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 28, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Speaking of Ann, do Royal or Strikers ever do anything with Shiho at all? It was really questionable how the sexual abuse victim who tried to commit suicide over it was pretty much forgotten aside from a small mention in Ann's S Link.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nope! She gets mentioned once in a passing remark in Strikers, that's it.

In Royal, she appears a little at the start of the new semester, but it's of little consequence.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of Ann, do Royal or Strikers ever do anything with Shiho at all? It was really questionable how the sexual abuse victim who tried to commit suicide over it was pretty much forgotten aside from a small mention in Ann's S Link.

she is mentioned once in strikers that I can remember because she is wanting to buy her something like a souvenir while they are out. I think she is mentioned in Royal as well but I cant remember

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Random question.

I'd been thinking of the rejection scenes in Persona 5 and how brutal some of them are. Particularly the ones for Haru and Kasumi.

Do they come off equally as bad in Japanese?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
weren't the P4 ones known for being even more painful?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

amigolupus posted:

She has more than a small mention in Ann's confidant--her recovery and how Ann tries to help are the focus of a few of the rank up scenes and she appears in the rank 9 one.

As for Royal, she makes another appearance but the details are spoilers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

describing anything in ann's s.link as having 'focus' is a bold move

and iunno, those scenes just feel like the cliffnotes of a shiho s. link given through the medium of an ann s. link. joker being there feels, if anything, slightly voyeuristic - why did she bring a guy who didnt even know her along to some of the most raw moments of shiho's life? i think the game really just needed a proper shiho s. link.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A few of the individual scenes have a focus! It's just that they don't really link together in any way to create, y'know, a narrative.

Endorph posted:

and iunno, those scenes just feel like the cliffnotes of a shiho s. link given through the medium of an ann s. link. joker being there feels, if anything, slightly voyeuristic - why did she bring a guy who didnt even know her along to some of the most raw moments of shiho's life? i think the game really just needed a proper shiho s. link.

Yeah, that rank 9 scene especially seems weird. Why is Joker even there? He really shouldn't be. It makes sense for Ann to want to talk to Joker about Shiho and how she feels about Shiho's recovery, but actually bringing him there for that particular moment? Odd choice.

A Shiho confidant would've been great. She should've been the Tower confidant, ditch gun kid. His abilities are great but, I dunno, have Akechi teach Joker how to do a down shot and call it a day. Or make Gun About a thing you can play with your teammates like darts and billiards to get better at guns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gun kid is cool and should have been in strikers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I could be biased against gun kid because his English voice acting is some of the worst in all of P5 and it made me laugh when some random other kid in his confidant actually sounded like a kid and I was like "why didn't they just cast that actor as Shinya"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not to subs/dubs things (and P5 has notably worse translation than P4 or P5S, which IIRC was a time constraints thing), but it's really rare that i see english-language voice actors do grade-school aged kids well

but yeah i always like the "MC's little bro that you mentor" character in these kinds of games and Mishima does not count

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 28, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

describing anything in ann's s.link as having 'focus' is a bold move

I get what they were going for with Ann's SLink, though it could have been done better. Describes a lot of P5's writing when you get down to it.

I'm not sure that Shiho needed a whole SLink to herself, but it is really awkward that Joker's just kind of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I still think that Shiho was intended to die and that's why she barely shows up afterwards. They changed their minds but didn't have the time to add in more scenes for her.