Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
while we're on the subject everyone should watch Kamen Rider serieses Kuuga, W, OOO, Fourze, and Build. It's like pro wrestling AND anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Also just watch all of the Kamen Riders. I still haven't finished watching the older ones because they can be hard to track down, but they are buck wild. I will never get over the time the hero just threw some mooks off a roof and they loving died.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DoctorWhat posted:

while we're on the subject everyone should watch Kamen Rider serieses Kuuga, W, OOO, Fourze, and Build. It's like pro wrestling AND anime.

Which one should I start with and where can I watch it?

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

That's a whole wild strain of its own. In the communities that believe in real, no-fooling demons and possession there's often a belief that any non-Christian spirituality is opening the door to the devil. That's how you get whole rants about yoga corrupting souls. Oprah Eat, Pray and Loving her audience into Satan's arms

It was baffling how quickly she went from being raised with a very mild suggestion of Christianity, but presently deeply spiritual and a firm believer of laws of attraction, spells, ask the universe etc. to extremely anti-spiritual and pro-devils are a real thing and they get you if you say namaste, after a long weekend of watching YouTube videos about it. They'd provided her with some big list of celebrities who were in league with the devil and how you could tell from hand signals they used in instagram posts and stuff.

In conclusion another win for the youtube algorithm I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I followed that tweet from Allison a few pages ago and saw through a few clicks to other people’s profiles that Comic Tropes is in the hospital for covid. I hope he’s ok.

https://twitter.com/CTropes/status/1375676477925072902

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I followed that tweet from Allison a few pages ago and saw through a few clicks to other people’s profiles that Comic Tropes is in the hospital for covid. I hope he’s ok.

Oh no, I was actually just wondering if this guy was okay a little while ago because I noticed his output had dropped hard and never even thought to check social media. I hope he bounces back, because covid can gently caress you up in so many weird ways even after it goes away.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

IronicDongz posted:

more like "not showing the wave of twitter randos that they can make me say whatever they want if they post angrily enough"
@mention in timeline this morning, offended at comment. this world is afraid of me. i have seen it's true face. the tweets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will be muted. the accumulated menace of all their outrage and fury will foam up about their waists and all the clout-chasers and keyboard warriors will look up and shout "apologise!"...

...and i'll look down, and whisper "this account doesn’t exist"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Junpei Hyde posted:

you can stop now
dang it. sorry.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

goldenninjawarrior posted:

In conclusion another win for the youtube algorithm I guess.

It's depressingly great at leading people down a rabbit hole.

One of the single biggest contributors to the growth of QAnon was supposedly just the sheer number of people who were now stuck at home just seeing what YouTube had to offer. You could watch trending numbers roll along with the lockdowns like clockwork.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Is Stronger good? I've seen some funny stills from it but nothing else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Annointed posted:

Disregard twitter embrace tiddy

Man I wish I could. But everyone's streams are so chill and games I'm not interested in watching. Plus I'd love team things but if you're gonna have two women in the video then you've gotta carve out even more space for their avatars to be in it as well so I doubt that'll happen.

Gura played Terraria and that's awesome! ...But I can't help but wish she had been able to rope someone else into playing it along with her too. I'm just not really a solo-person Let's Play fan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i got past the part of one piece where luffy punches the greedy shark man and let me tell you: this show is real good

only 920 episodes to go!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is terrible to hear! I hope his situation improves soon. :smith:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
as someone who wont watch it or read anything further about it, the saya cartoon seems similar superficially to the avatar

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
pretty late but here's a fun video about scuffed weird GBA games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpOiuJkJTz8

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i whisper this take into a folded paper boat, containing my prayers and wishes, that it will upset someone. i push it out onto the lake and it drifts away. i will never know one way or the other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Oh no, I was actually just wondering if this guy was okay a little while ago because I noticed his output had dropped hard and never even thought to check social media. I hope he bounces back, because covid can gently caress you up in so many weird ways even after it goes away.

Same. I just figured he was taking a break. Hoping he recovers and doesn’t get lingering symptoms. My uncle is a distance runner and he’s still feeling tired and winded five months after he first got it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twitter is a honeypot effort by a cabal of billionaires to try and make suffering portable and an endemic part of society.

You a POC? What up, we love nazis.
Are you trans? Oh wow, tons of my friends are TERFs!
Do you have a mental illness? If not, we can give you PTSD, just give us time!

Farg posted:

as someone who wont watch it or read anything further about it, the saya cartoon seems similar superficially to the avatar

Farg posted:

i whisper this take into a folded paper boat, containing my prayers and wishes, that it will upset someone. i push it out onto the lake and it drifts away. i will never know one way or the other.

Oh no, these posts are so good that they make me feel guilty about what I've just done.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DoctorWhat posted:

Actually just watch Ex-Aid and receive the blessings of god gracefully.

Or wait for Amazon Video exclusive New Shin Kamen Rider.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's depressingly great at leading people down a rabbit hole.

One of the single biggest contributors to the growth of QAnon was supposedly just the sheer number of people who were now stuck at home just seeing what YouTube had to offer. You could watch trending numbers roll along with the lockdowns like clockwork.

It’s almost like Silicon Valley is loaded to the gills with Neo-Nazis!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

bobjr posted:

I’m surprised Dr. Phil stuff doesn’t get more attention because it seems like he does lovely or unprofessional stuff a lot.

iiluminaughtii did a two part video on him and his shady business practices, misleading (or straight-up faked) portrayals of people on his show, and history of (alleged) abuse of multiple people who were close to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5L1bhJTYco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOMYSukpak

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Same. I just figured he was taking a break. Hoping he recovers and doesn’t get lingering symptoms. My uncle is a distance runner and he’s still feeling tired and winded five months after he first got it.

Yeah like my nose just has not worked right since getting over Covid, like every breath is just a little less effective. Lungs are fine, it's just the nose. I've also been way, way more prone to getting sick though, infections and the like. It suuuucks.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Jamie Faith posted:

lmao I noticed I just got a new avi lmao can't believe I made someone so butthurt they paid 10 dollars for that. :discourse:

I unironically like the text tho

:laffo: :discourse:

also aaa i dunno who that comic tropes person is but i hope they get well soon!! :ohdear:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Nuebot posted:

Yeah like my nose just has not worked right since getting over Covid, like every breath is just a little less effective. Lungs are fine, it's just the nose. I've also been way, way more prone to getting sick though, infections and the like. It suuuucks.

If you want some nose not working right, I had parosmia for about 8 months after covid, and fabric softener still smells a little foul more than a year later. I even picked up smoking again to try to cover up the nasty smells all around me.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Smdh at no one pointing out that both raya and avatar are ripoffs of journey to the west

.... No one in this spat knows what journey to the west is, do they :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

treat posted:

If you want some nose not working right, I had parosmia for about 8 months after covid, and fabric softener still smells a little foul more than a year later. I even picked up smoking again to try to cover up the nasty smells all around me.

Oh yeah I smell weird poo poo all the time and it's kind of concerning. I only really noticed it was just me when I saw my neighbor getting his mail and was like "Does the air smell weird today to you?" And he looked at me like I was crazy, and it turns out the weird chemical smell was entirely just. Not real, or just in my nose. It sucks because it's always just completely innocuous poo poo like fresh night air, or evening rain that smells strangely caustic.

Booky posted:

:laffo: :discourse:

also aaa i dunno who that comic tropes person is but i hope they get well soon!! :ohdear:

They've been linked here before but he does a bunch of neat videos about comics! Specifically, before the pandemic really hit, he'd been doing a lot of neat videos about comic history and persons of interest within the industry. If that's stuff you're into I highly recommend it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Nuebot posted:

They've been linked here before but he does a bunch of neat videos about comics! Specifically, before the pandemic really hit, he'd been doing a lot of neat videos about comic history and persons of interest within the industry. If that's stuff you're into I highly recommend it.

oh really?? that sounds neat, i'll check him out later ty! :)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

A big flaming stink posted:

Smdh at no one pointing out that both raya and avatar are ripoffs of journey to the west

Seeing as how some of the original people that brought the issue up with Lindsay were of Chinese descent, I'm going to hazard a guess and say they're probably aware of Journey to the West.

I also don't mean that to sound sarcastic. My grandma told me stories about Sun Wukong as a kid.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

all stories are, in themselves, based on Water Margin

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Which one should I start with and where can I watch it?

It depends on what kinds of shows you like.

Kuuga is very different from the others. It's a meditation on the utility and futility of violence and heroism with a serious horror tone. It's available legally in the US via Shout Factory TV and Tubi.

The rest can be found as torrents with fansubs by Over-Time. Try OZC for blu ray grade quality.

W, OOO, and Fourze are the "Foundation X Trilogy". Much more toyetic and with a brighter general tone (although OOO is darker and more Kuuga-esque), W is a noir pastiche about vengeance, grief, and found family; OOO is a deep dive into the nature of desire, yearning, codependance, and anhedonia; Fourze is all about the power of friendship and connections persevering in the face of systems designed to dehumanize you and set you against your peers. Stop by the Toku Thread in ADTRW for deets.

Lastly, Build is straight up shonen wrestling. Power levels, an AMAZING villain, plot twists and changing loyalties and melodrama, and significant homoeroticism. Actually all of the shows are homoerotic to some degree. It's bait, but it's good bait.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is Stronger good? I've seen some funny stills from it but nothing else.

Stronger is Showa-era (pre-90s) and is not my area of expertise. It has a female co-lead but production and marketing stuff left her half-baked and not given due dilligence.

Oh, also the 90s direct-to-video film Kamen Rider ZO is available on Toei's youtube channel. It's a great primer on the basics of Rider!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Finally watched the Snyder cut of Justice League. I liked it! I agree that it was a little on the short side though.

Also, it was kind of weird that they kept calling the villain Steppenwolf instead of Kalibak, because that was clearly Kalibak and not Steppenwolf.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm trying, but all I feel is depression. Our post-truth society never fails to disappoint.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Alaois posted:

all stories are, in themselves, based on Water Margin

Though I must have missed the episode where Thomas the Tank engine rips the heart out of a woman in order to avenge his murdered brother I nonetheless agree with this statement.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jamie Faith posted:

Eh I don't like shows where all the heroes gang up on the villain. It feels weirdly anti-climatic to me. If anything, the heros should be the ones who are outnumbered imo
in one piece it pays off with the incredible fight at thriller bark against Oars where they worked together to take down a skyscraper-sized foe.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oars is peak one piece
and then when they try to work together to do the same thing against the Pacifistas and it super doesn't work and they get owned so hard they get separated for like 3 goddamn years, showing that just having teamwork doesn't mean you'll win, was amazing too

sabaody archipelago was peak one piece tbh

Augus posted:

i got past the part of one piece where luffy punches the greedy shark man and let me tell you: this show is real good

only 920 episodes to go!
arlong is an incredible villain and the way the series, eventually, gets around to contextualizing why he's such a bastard is pretty drat good too.

I recommend reading the manga instead of watching the anime(unless you're watching One Pace for a more reasonably paced version with cut filler) since the manga has the chapter intro storylines which are often great and also tend to give more context for future things. like what happened with buggy after he got defeated, I think that one did get animated but most of the rest don't and it's a bummer.

A big flaming stink posted:

it's that series that ripped off DBZ, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm trying, but all I feel is depression. Our post-truth society never fails to disappoint.

The night Randi exposed Peter Popoff, people called the show asking how they could get in touch with the wonderful psychic preacher in the video they showed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh, also the 90s direct-to-video film Kamen Rider ZO is available on Toei's youtube channel. It's a great primer on the basics of Rider!
Good movie, wasn't expecting that much stop motion in a direct-to-video movie. Need to watch the rest now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kamen Rider J is the immediate follow up and is also fun! The same channel has the first couple episodes each of many Rider series, including from 2000 on; however, in my opinion, Kuuga has much better subtitles in the Shout Factory release than on the episodes on Youtube, and Shout has the whole series.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

bobjr posted:

I’m surprised Dr. Phil stuff doesn’t get more attention because it seems like he does lovely or unprofessional stuff a lot.
I think that we're going to see a lot of younger people who don't have much knowledge about the dude beyond memes call him out now. Bhad Bhabie just exposed the lovely "therapeutic boarding school", Turn-About Ranch that he sends every single "troubled teenager" on his show to, as being an abusive work camp. I've had a long time obsession with reading about these types of residential behavioral schools specifically because I used to watch the British 2000s reality tv, "Brat Camp" about Turn-About Ranch. The show really freaked me the gently caress out. The adults wore them down physically so they were too tired to argue, stripped them of any individuality, and dismissed any emotional outbursts that weren't "Thank you for doing this to me. I used to be very bad, but now I am so much better.". Super cultish... And this was a show that positioned the camp as the good guys that were never in the wrong.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 28, 2021