Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

You aren't excited about Rocket Lake?

Personally another Lake microarchitecture paper launching interests me dramatically less than just about everything else going on in the CPU world.

Intel has been so boringly failing on the competition front that RISC-V survived to the “exists in your hands” stage without being flattened by team blue.

Which reminds me I need to finish writing an OP for a non-x86 architecture thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

spunkshui posted:

Well, I cant vouch for RGB software outside of iCUE because since I was starting from scratch with no glowing lights I stuck to one company.

Oh well if it's from reputable vendor Corsair it must not have any security vulnerabilities.

Wait, what's this CVE-2020-8808? Well, they're so reputable, I'm sure that it was some obscure issue where someone could possibly fool the drivers into accessing some tiny chunk of should-be-off-limits memory, but it's probably not anything super serious.

CVE-2020-8808 posted:

The CorsairLLAccess64.sys and CorsairLLAccess32.sys drivers in CORSAIR iCUE before 3.25.60 allow local non-privileged users (including low-integrity level processes) to read and write to arbitrary physical memory locations, and consequently gain NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM privileges, via a function call such as MmMapIoSpace.

Base Score: 7.8 HIGH

Hmm, it turns out that any process could just ask the iCUE drivers to read or write arbitrary memory and bypass the entire Windows security model. That seems pretty bad, but they did patch it a couple of months after it was reported.

I'm sure that was just a one-time "whoops, we completely forgot to put any security in our software that runs in a highly privileged context" issue, though, surely that wouldn't be something that would be part of a longer running pattern. Oh, wait, both CVE-2018-12441 and CVE-2018-19592 detail other issues with Corsair software that allow any unprivileged user on the system to execute arbitrary commands with system-level permissions.

Eh, gently caress it, who needs security when you have fancy flashing lights.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Well here I was enjoying blinking lights but apparently my computer will bluescreen and be taken over by viruses.

Oh wait non of that poo poo happened.

You know what did bluescreen twice this pandemic while I was teaching on zoom? My 7th generation Microsoft surface that I haven't hosed with at all.

Thankfully I'm teaching off 2 computers so we only lost the notes on screen and I could still talk to the class.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 28, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Space Gopher posted:

Oh well if it's from reputable vendor Corsair it must not have any security vulnerabilities.

Wait, what's this CVE-2020-8808? Well, they're so reputable, I'm sure that it was some obscure issue where someone could possibly fool the drivers into accessing some tiny chunk of should-be-off-limits memory, but it's probably not anything super serious.

Hmm, it turns out that any process could just ask the iCUE drivers to read or write arbitrary memory and bypass the entire Windows security model. That seems pretty bad, but they did patch it a couple of months after it was reported.

I'm sure that was just a one-time "whoops, we completely forgot to put any security in our software that runs in a highly privileged context" issue, though, surely that wouldn't be something that would be part of a longer running pattern. Oh, wait, both CVE-2018-12441 and CVE-2018-19592 detail other issues with Corsair software that allow any unprivileged user on the system to execute arbitrary commands with system-level permissions.

Eh, gently caress it, who needs security when you have fancy flashing lights.

Addressable RGB is something that was basically just smashed into firmware with zero fucks given about security. It is presented to the system as just some tiny chunk of memory reserved by the firmware, controlling it from the OS requires reading and writing directly to physical memory. With the average hardware vendors budget allocation for software development being "zero fucks given", security in RGB software is a permanently lost cause and will always be an automatic failure.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

spunkshui posted:

Well here I was enjoying blinking lights but apparently my computer will bluescreen and be taken over by viruses.

Oh wait non of that poo poo happened.

You know what did bluescreen twice this pandemic while I was teaching on zoom? My 7th generation Microsoft surface that I haven't hosed with at all.

Thankfully I'm teaching off 2 computers so we only lost the notes on screen and I could still talk to the class.

I hope this is a bit, it's hard to imagine anyone genuinely being this offended by people pointing out that rgbzzzzz are poorly engineered cheap tacky trash

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spunkshui posted:

Id be cool if intel made something interesting for us to talk about lol

I'm trying to think about whether to get a 10850K or a 3900X, which are about the same price right now in my market, and I've already got a board for either

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: RGB? More like Rainbow of Security Holes for you and me

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

BobHoward posted:

I hope this is a bit, it's hard to imagine anyone genuinely being this offended by people pointing out that rgbzzzzz are poorly engineered cheap tacky trash

I’m just pointing out that if your system is unstable at stock speeds it’s probably because you don’t know what the gently caress you are doing.

Not the glowing lights.

Edit: Unless of course you foolishly brought red LEDs.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 28, 2021

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

K8.0 posted:

RGB is the worst trend because you need to run amazingly bad software to disable it. Since RGB lovers like you have made it impossible for sane people to build a computer that doesn't vomit rainbows without losing a bunch of performance and stability, I'm arguing it should be turned around on you. If someone has to suffer for RGB idiocy, it should be the RGB lovers.

Yeah one time I wanted to turn every component in my PC the same color and it was 6GB of lovely bloatware in total...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I’m just pointing out that if your system is unstable at stock speeds it’s probably because you don’t know what the gently caress you are doing.

Not the glowing lights.

Do you fundamentally disagree that RGB software can be buggy or cause instability for some people? Because it seems like you're calling the software infallible, which is a lol

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Inept posted:

Do you fundamentally disagree that RGB software can be buggy or cause instability for some people? Because it seems like you're calling the software infallible, which is a lol

I can have my computer be pitch black or lit up with zero RGB programs running.

Bios controls mobo on off switch, and all my corsair poo poo has a "hardware lighting" setting that tells it what to do when the software is NOT RUNNING. The LEDs can be off, or even running some basic lighting with no software at all.

If you cant do that you bought the wrong poo poo or just don't understand how to use it.

edit: I get that people have had problems, but me and my wife have a ton of LEDs on our computers and its just been a fun pandemic experience. We actually had zero LEDs in our computers this time last year. I think people should be more open to LED stuff. Its improved a lot since the "strap this poo poo to the top of your ram" days.

Sorry this is super off topic ill stop.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 28, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Corsair icue controls rgb via their own usb rgb controller. So you can avoid all the mobo mfg software and use icue. I use phanteks leds with my corsair rgb controller. Icue may be poo poo but it is the least poo poo software available.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
I hate to be the "button on the case" guy, but it would be neat if case manufacturers integrated their RGB dongle controller into the front/top of the case. As buttons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inept posted:

Just use openrgb if you hate the other options.
https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ColTim posted:

I hate to be the "button on the case" guy, but it would be neat if case manufacturers integrated their RGB dongle controller into the front/top of the case. As buttons.

Some cases do have this; I had a be quiet! case for awhile that had a button that let you either either turn it off, set it to be constant, or would have it "breathe" or something I think, can't recall. No software required or anything else. I could adjust colors and patterns in BIOS and then use the button to basically turn on or off.

Edit:

spunkshui posted:

I can have my computer be pitch black or lit up with zero RGB programs running.

Bios controls mobo on off switch, and all my corsair poo poo has a "hardware lighting" setting that tells it what to do when the software is NOT RUNNING. The LEDs can be off, or even running some basic lighting with no software at all.

If you cant do that you bought the wrong poo poo or just don't understand how to use it.

edit: I get that people have had problems, but me and my wife have a ton of LEDs on our computers and its just been a fun pandemic experience. We actually had zero LEDs in our computers this time last year. I think people should be more open to LED stuff. Its improved a lot since the "strap this poo poo to the top of your ram" days.

Sorry this is super off topic ill stop.

I don't currently have any RGB going, but when I did, I liked to have it sync'd and changing color spectrum based on what my CPU temperatures were at, which I thought was pretty funny.

I just don't get the amount of vitriol and anger it causes people; if someone doesn't like it, that's fine, just don't buy it or turn it off if the hardware does have it. Doesn't seem worth the venting/stress/etc.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 29, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I just don't get the amount of vitriol and anger it causes people; if someone doesn't like it, that's fine, just don't buy it or turn it off if the hardware does have it. Doesn't seem worth the venting/stress/etc.

Imagine coming into the thread to post "Just turn it off lol" after a page describing why "Just turn it off lol" often isn't a great solution.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arzachel posted:

Imagine coming into the thread to post "Just turn it off lol" after a page describing why "Just turn it off lol" often isn't a great solution.

There isn't really any other "solution". Use software, unplug the LEDs, or buy parts that don't have them which basically no longer exist outside of the very bottom of the stack. Consumers like the lights on their toys and they are cheap, so they are going to stay around.

"I want high end parts without RGB!" is in the same tier as "I want a small car with a manual!". The enthusiasts may want it, but there aren't enough enthusiasts to matter.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
There are plenty of devices that can function without needing problematic software running, as well. Install software, set everything up how you like it, then delete software is a valid option in a lot of cases.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Buy a Mazda

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Arzachel posted:

Sure it is! There are plenty of products still available that either do not have RGB, or enable the option of turning it off via BIOS/switches so that no software installation is ever required. Now, the specific product you or someone else want might not be available without RGB, hence the RAAAGE, but then I would ask: what makes the opinion of someone who hates RGB worth any more than that of someone who likes it?

Cygni posted:

There isn't really any other "solution". Use software, unplug the LEDs, or buy parts that don't have them which basically no longer exist outside of the very bottom of the stack. Consumers like the lights on their toys and they are cheap, so they are going to stay around.

"I want high end parts without RGB!" is in the same tier as "I want a small car with a manual!". The enthusiasts may want it, but there aren't enough enthusiasts to matter.

DrDork posted:

There are plenty of devices that can function without needing problematic software running, as well. Install software, set everything up how you like it, then delete software is a valid option in a lot of cases.

Yeah, these posts sum up my thoughts on it all perfectly.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The motherboard competition is heated and diverse enough that it's not uncommon to find a niche board for your tastes, as long as you're willing to deal with the obscure idiosyncrasies of say, a Supermicro gaming motherboard

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What graphics cards don't need Windows rgb software running to disable the leds? My palit and MSI cards both start in Christmas tree mode and stay there until Windows loads the app.

Although it's kinda irrelevant as I swapped the coolers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The secret is... a case with no windows!

On Intel news, Francois is getting really angsty on Twitter. And Anand has their B560 mobo overview up.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

Motherboards might have that option (and generally have the least poo poo RGB implementations) but I don't think I've ever seen a GPU or memory module save it's LED settings.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

movax posted:

The secret is... a case with no windows!

I have a case with no windows and by default my motherboard blasts animated rainbows out of the rear ventilation holes including while the PC is turned off :suicide:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
at this point, 95% of professionals use laptops and another 4% use full-on workstations

The build your PC community is basically gamers, and not the neckbeards of yore. RGB is a thing for the same reason fancy keyboards are a thing, people like customized stuff. You can either embrace it or just hate the world.

Or go full-on neckbeard and build a remote VM gaming setup that can double as your "home lab".

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Sure it is! There are plenty of products still available that either do not have RGB, or enable the option of turning it off via BIOS/switches so that no software installation is ever required. Now, the specific product you or someone else want might not be available without RGB, hence the RAAAGE, but then I would ask: what makes the opinion of someone who hates RGB worth any more than that of someone who likes it?

Yeah, these posts sum up my thoughts on it all perfectly.

Because you’re complaining about something that isn’t reality.

RGB can be shut off and even lit up without running software.

Tell me what the actual product is that you want that you can’t shut off the RGB?

Be specific.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Motherboards might have that option (and generally have the least poo poo RGB implementations) but I don't think I've ever seen a GPU or memory module save it's LED settings.

All corsair memory modules have a hardware lighting setting.

You can tell the module exactly what to do while the software is not running.

Rainbow, solid, even off.

I know corsair isn’t the only one slinging glowing poo poo but there’s certainly one of the biggest names.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Arzachel posted:

While I can't speak directly to CPU coolers (since I don't have one), many motherboards, like the one I have from ASRock, will let you set compatible RAM RGB modules directly from inside the BIOS. Presumably it'd be the same for CPU coolers you have connected up to it, as well. It might not give you as many options or all the fanciness of some of the software systems, but simple patterns, colors, and the option to just turn them the gently caress off are all present and persist until you clear CMOS or edit it via some other method.

"I want to do fancy poo poo but all the software systems I'd need to do it are trash-heaps and most of them don't play well together" is a totally valid criticism of the marketplace.

"I can't buy any modern components that don't puke rainbows without continuously running trash-heap software" isn't.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 29, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

spunkshui posted:

Tell me what the actual product is that you want that you can’t shut off the RGB?

Be specific.

I think you were responding to the wrong person? I'm not anti-RGB.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

spunkshui posted:

Be specific.

I have an Nvidia-branded reference 2070 Super with a light-up logo (which is, amusingly, RGB but software locked out of the box to Nvidia's branded green color, because it's apparently cheaper and easier to spec RGB hardware than... a couple of green LEDs). That light-up logo comes on at boot. It can be dimmed or turned off with third-party software, but it doesn't maintain that state. The LEDs can't be easily removed or unplugged, because they're surface mount.

The light spill out my case isn't bad, so I live with it, but it is exactly what you claim doesn't exist.

MeruFM posted:

The build your PC community is basically gamers, and not the neckbeards of yore. RGB is a thing for the same reason fancy keyboards are a thing, people like customized stuff. You can either embrace it or just hate the world.

"You can customize your PC to be anything you desire!"
"oh, you want it to not light up like a seedy third-rate nightclub, and also not run software that just bypasses all security because it was a few dev days faster to ship? No, you're not allowed to want that! You have to embrace the custom lifestyle!"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

I have an Nvidia-branded reference 2070 Super with a light-up logo
but it is exactly what you claim doesn't exist.

But you certainly could have bought a different 2070S with different light setups (or even one without lights at all!).

That's the point people are making: it's not impossible to buy components that aren't brain-dead about their implementation of RGB. That some makes and models are is an unfortunate extra item to check on the list of properties when selecting a component, but it's not like they simply don't exist.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

movax posted:

On Intel news, Francois is getting really angsty on Twitter.

That guy is hilarious. On the one hand, probably not wrong in a lot of his critiques of Intel management. On the other, the size of his ego and bombast is amazing to behold. Get a grip, François, by your own descriptions much of your work while at Intel can be summarized as "game benchmarks to make Intel look good".

Also funny is that despite taking the piss out of Intel management, he's still Intel's biggest stan and it burns him so bad that someone else built a bigger badder OoO engine than Intel can, so he keeps trying to piss on it:

https://twitter.com/FPiednoel/status/1375460658674757642

lmao François what could that glass jaw possibly be? Apple only supports AArch64, where all instructions are 4 bytes, meaning it should be trivial to build an 8-wide decoder with zero glass jaws

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

"oh, you want it to not light up like a seedy third-rate nightclub, and also not run software that just bypasses all security because it was a few dev days faster to ship? No, you're not allowed to want that! You have to embrace the custom lifestyle!"

I didn't say you can't want it, just that you'll just be angry at the world when it doesn't meet what you want, especially when there's basically no incentives from the producers otherwise. Maybe if they make a line of non-rgb stuff and upcharge 20% because it'll be a much lower selling part.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 29, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

I have an Nvidia-branded reference 2070 Super with a light-up logo (which is, amusingly, RGB but software locked out of the box to Nvidia's branded green color, because it's apparently cheaper and easier to spec RGB hardware than... a couple of green LEDs). That light-up logo comes on at boot. It can be dimmed or turned off with third-party software, but it doesn't maintain that state. The LEDs can't be easily removed or unplugged, because they're surface mount.

The light spill out my case isn't bad, so I live with it, but it is exactly what you claim doesn't exist.

"You can customize your PC to be anything you desire!"

If you went out and purchased a specific 2070 with RGB you can’t control that’s your own loving fault.

There’s a poo poo ton of different 2070s some of which have zero RGB at all.

So no, it is not an example of what you’re claiming.

DrDork posted:

"I want to do fancy poo poo but all the software systems I'd need to do it are trash-heaps and most of them don't play well together" is a totally valid criticism of the marketplace.

"I can't buy any modern components that don't puke rainbows without continuously running trash-heap software" isn't.

This is accurate.

MeruFM posted:

I didn't say you can't want it, just that you'll just be angry at the world when it doesn't meet what you want, especially when there's basically no incentives from the producers otherwise. Maybe if they make a line of non-rgb stuff and upcharge 20% because it'll be a much lower selling part.

This biggest irony here is that there are vendors catering to the zero lights crowds with products that don't have any flash.

He bought the one with green lights instead.

Theres one in stock right now! https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-rtx-2070-tri-frozr/p/N82E16814137490 (its only $1999!)

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just unplug or clip the rgb poo poo off. Come on, this isn't difficult. My main system has only RGB rams because I just don't care. X570 Ryzen thing.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Quick question before going back to RGB chat: Looking into mobos, the 'MSI Z590-A Pro' seems decent, any reports?

Also, it seems to have a 8pin and 4pin connector, while the 560 boards only have 8pin. I can't even remember if my current PSU has 8+4 pins, I think it has 4+4 pins. How long has this been a thing? I may go with 560 instead of 590 if I don't need to buy a new PSU, if I can find a board that fits all of my needs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

spunkshui posted:

If you went out and purchased a specific 2070 with RGB you can’t control that’s your own loving fault.

There’s a poo poo ton off different 2070s some of which have zero RGB at all.

So no, it is not an example of what you’re claiming.

lol

He answered your challenge just fine. Why is it so hard to accept that the majority class you are representative of dooms the minority class to buying tacky, hacky bullshit which they'd love to avoid if they could?

And no, it's not his fault. When even the reference designs have bad RGB, there's not much recourse for people who just want solid functional hardware.

On reference designs: as an engineer, if I have to put together a PC from enthusiast parts, I try to stick to obviously copypasted reference designs. This is a natural side effect of having been employed on the chip design side (in a different area of the industry than PC graphics or CPUs), and hearing about the messes made by low margin board OEMs attempting to go beyond cloning our reference designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ill admit most 2070s have, and brag about, RGB.

The first one without RGB I found online was referenced by some online forum posters disappointed it didnt have RGB lol

GPU prices have me pretty salty in general.