Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Arcanum aged really poorly, even the narrative and questing are outright primitive by today's standards, imo, and so it isn't really worth your time.
it's janky but I think it holds up on the narrative/quest front for the most part, I'd call it well worth playing. Maybe skip the insanely anti-semitic side quest about the Jewish gnome conspiracy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ambaire posted:

FF14 is a rather odd suggestion considering it's a JRPG masquerading as an MMO. If you actually watch all the cutscenes, getting from 1 to 80 is probably a multi hundred hour endeavour. Also, I don't recall any "dressed up slot machine" mechanics.

It is a very pretty dress-up simulator, though. As for skill usage.. that is based on the class; you don't really have any real choice within the class; just doing your rotation forever while allowing for boss mechanics.

I was focusing on the dressing up the character and satisfying visual spectacle angle. The game also does a great job of there always being something to do regardless of your alloted time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i know it's been answered but i'm legally obligated here

Traitorous Leopard posted:

does [ff14] get off the ground pretty quick?
lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Alright I need another game rec!

Lately, the only game that's kept my attention for a significant amount of time is Path of Exile. If I had to boil down my favorite parts:

- Love playing a dressed up slot machine. Hearing that sound of an exalted orb drop is the only way I can feel anything anymore
- Love also dressing up my character to look cool
- Love playing with skills/builds that are a visual spectacle and feel satisfying to use

Of course there are other ARPGs that could probably check these boxes, but I'm hoping for something that requires a little less time commitment to get to the good stuff since the new PoE league comes out in three weeks. Not opposed to ARPG recs, though (but I have played D3, Torchlight, Last Epoch, and Grim Dawn already).

Completely out of nowhere suggestion that meets all your criteria:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- There are rare capsule/skill/clothing drops that are behind a skill barrier and two separate RNG barriers.
- It lets you make the Dragon Ball OC of your dreams, and unlocking new clothes with mild to moderate stat effects is half of the game. (My favorite I ever made is Capsule Corp Android #4: Sports Briefs)
- You can combo punch, punch, kick, Kamehameha, Final Flash, and it's as spectacular and over-the-top as you'd expect.
- The combat is quite fun and fairly straight-forward. Basically a 3D fighter with really good and natural-feeling flying mechanics. If you liked the old Budokai Tenkaichi games, you'll love Xenoverse.
- Your character starts kinda weak and basic but that changes pretty quickly, and within a few hours, you should start really developing the FeelTM of your character and what specials you like.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 25, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Oldstench posted:

Monster Hunter: World

Okay, I'll play my screensaver :D

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I was focusing on the dressing up the character and satisfying visual spectacle angle. The game also does a great job of there always being something to do regardless of your alloted time.

I watched a couple vids and it just looks more involved than what I'm really looking for. Thanks for the rec, though!

PMush Perfect posted:

Completely out of nowhere suggestion that meets all your criteria:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- There are rare capsule/skill/clothing drops that are behind a skill barrier and two separate RNG barriers.
- It lets you make the Dragon Ball OC of your dreams, and unlocking new clothes with mild to moderate stat effects is half of the game. (My favorite I ever made is Capsule Corp Android #4: Sports Briefs)
- You can combo punch, punch, kick, Kamehameha, Final Flash, and it's as spectacular and over-the-top as you'd expect.
- The combat is quite fun and fairly straight-forward. Basically a 3D fighter with really good and natural-feeling flying mechanics. If you liked the old Budokai Tenkaichi games, you'll love Xenoverse.
- Your character starts kinda weak and basic but that changes pretty quickly, and within a few hours, you should start really developing the FeelTM of your character and what specials you like.

I'll take a look!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I watched a couple vids and it just looks more involved than what I'm really looking for. Thanks for the rec, though!

I'll take a look!
If you decide to play it, this will be helpful.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, there's still a bunch of cool stuff in it but actually playing Arcanum is a pretty punishing experience.

It's still mostly good, my main gripe is a lot of the main quest dungeons are wayyyy too long and annoying.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PMush Perfect posted:

If you decide to play it, this will be helpful.

Xenoverse 1 or 2? I'm looking at 'em both.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Xenoverse 1 or 2? I'm looking at 'em both.
2 renders the first one irrelevant to the point where I believe you can even play the full first one's story in it (maybe only in the Switch version? Not really worth bothering anyway it's basically the same story lol)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been wanting to play a mecha action game on PC but like, not the slow Battletech-style tanks-on-legs mechs but rather the fast and agile style the japanese mecha games usually go for.
The only game like that on PC I've ever seen was Front Mission Evolved and the game itself was not that great.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's a fan revival of Hawken that came out last year. I'm not sure how good it is, but the original definitely had that fast paced acrobatic feel: https://www.pcgamer.com/fans-have-gotten-hawken-on-pc-working-again-in-singleplayer/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's a fan revival of Hawken that came out last year. I'm not sure how good it is, but the original definitely had that fast paced acrobatic feel: https://www.pcgamer.com/fans-have-gotten-hawken-on-pc-working-again-in-singleplayer/
Oh hell yeah I loved that game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I've been wanting to play a mecha action game on PC but like, not the slow Battletech-style tanks-on-legs mechs but rather the fast and agile style the japanese mecha games usually go for.
The only game like that on PC I've ever seen was Front Mission Evolved and the game itself was not that great.
Zone of the Enders 2 is on PC if that works?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Should I get the new Story of Seasons or wait for Rune Factory 5? Or is there something maybe a little lesser known that would be better and maybe a little less anime-y?

I need a replacement for Stardew really.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Jack Trades posted:

Daemon x Machina is probably the best in the genre since From abandoned Armored Core.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Jack Trades posted:

Check out Vulture. Pretty sure it's free

https://mobile.twitter.com/Vulture_UF/status/1262073014163607552

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just tried the Monster Hunter Rise demo and while I love the idea of repeated monster hunts and levelling up gear, the slow/considered nature of Monster Hunter combat isn't for me. Is there a game that uses the same gameplay loop but has combat like you might find in a hack and slash like Devil May Cry? I've played God Eater 1 and Dauntless. I seem to remember enjoying the combat in Dauntless more, but the free to play stuff bothered me.

I'd also like something that works well in single player, since I don't plan to play online.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Don't know how it is, but Daemon x Machina has a Steam port, and it's the newest game by some of the Armored Core people:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256773763/movie480.webm?t=1580753460

There's Metal Wolf Chaos XD, an HD update of an old Xbox-only From Software game that never got released in the US. You play the President of America in a mech:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256718886/movie480.webm?t=1562165992

As someone else said, there's also the ZOE2 remake, Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner M∀RS:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256718638/movie480.webm?t=1528261018

There's also New Gundam Breaker, where you play as Gunpla in "Honey I Shrunk the Kid"-style levels:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256719346/movie480.webm?t=1537826197

Project Nimbus Complete Edition is a cool looking indie mecha game:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256754230/movie480.webm?t=1561522364

Arc System Works have two PSP/Vita mecha games they later ported to Steam, Damascus Gear Operation Tokyo HD & Damascus Gear Operation Osaka HD Edition respectively:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256689711/movie480.webm?t=1502240405

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256701379/movie480.webm?t=1520390260

Lastly, there are the Lost Planet games which are not explicitly mecha games but have lots of mech-like vehicles in them. Keep in mind that 1 & 2 are old Games for Windows Live games so YMMV when it comes to running them on newer hardware. Also, there are two versions of Lost Planet 1, Extreme Condition and Extreme Condition Colonies Edition, Colonies Edition is the newer version. It's like Fallout 3 where they kept the old version up for sale for whatever reason. Also Lost Planet 3 is one of those 360/PS3 era situations where a japanese developer outsourced a sequel to a western dev with middling results.

Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies Edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjXpTr5dos

Lost Planet 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X38guNDzfg

Lost Planet 3:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2029096/movie480.webm?t=1447358535

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 27, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ahobday posted:

I just tried the Monster Hunter Rise demo and while I love the idea of repeated monster hunts and levelling up gear, the slow/considered nature of Monster Hunter combat isn't for me. Is there a game that uses the same gameplay loop but has combat like you might find in a hack and slash like Devil May Cry? I've played God Eater 1 and Dauntless. I seem to remember enjoying the combat in Dauntless more, but the free to play stuff bothered me.

I'd also like something that works well in single player, since I don't plan to play online.

Have you tried other weapons in MH? Some of them are designed to be crazy high speed combo and juggle styles.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Hi there,

I'm looking for something but I'm not entirely sure of my criteria

* many builds : either at each game start if a single game is short, or with a free and complete respec if the game is long
* an interesting or innovative fight system, methodical / slow if realtime and turn-based otherwise
* something sandboxy or with many interactions
* not very grindy

Dredgers could work but I found the game sluggish. Turn-based and with an auto-explore, it would have been perfect.

Wildermyth , Gloomhaven and Low Magic Age fit relatively well. They are not sandboxes but the open world aspect is satisfying and the combat system is interesting enough for Wildermyth and Low Magic Age (and quite innovative for Gloomhaven)

Chronicon is the only hack and slash I like, thanks to the free respec, the interesting loot, the fun and dumb builds and the relatively low grindyness. But the combat system isn't extremely interesting.

Horizon's Gate was full of potential but it had too much of Final Fantasy Tactics (I didn't like Fell Seal at all for instance). I didn't like grinding jobs for the side characters, and while I liked the lean combat system, I disliked having to choose the orientation of each character after each turn. It was like a third of each turn for almost nothing.

Caves of Qud will probably be perfect, I'm waiting for the next big update.
Tales of Maj'Eyal is nice but too repetitive between each games with the fixed order of quests and dungeons, and I dislike the huge difficulty spikes hidden in the middle of uninteresting critters. I didn't like DCSS for some of these reasons but the last time I played was a long time ago and I should probably try again. I think Cogmind would fit but my screen is too small and I can't see well even my the max sized fonts.
Rift Wizard fits my criteria but it's not what I'm looking for right (hence some criteria are probably missing).
Trials of Fire is nice too.

I love deckbuilders roguelites but they are not very sandboxy or open wordly, and you can't really build what you want each game (which is something I love but not what I'm looking for right now). Chrono Ark is apparently a bit different so I bought it to see if it could do the trick.

I played (and love) most of the famous roguelikes (except CDDA) but it's not exactly the kind of games I'm looking for either.

If I manage to learn how to play Exanima it will be quite nice.

Master of Magic is perfect and I'm looking for this exact same freedom.Dominions 5 is nice but I play only in solo which is not ideal, and there is too much micro management during the endgame. I'm impatiently waiting for Conquest of Elysium 5.

Thanks!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dungeonmans is a goonmade roguelike with all kinds of stupid builds, and a meta progression system that carries over between runs.

Maybe Monster Hunter World? Huge amount of build customization, all centered around gear, so respeccing is as simple as changing your armor. Combat can be slow and tactical, and has a great semi open world aspect to it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Could I get a recommendation for a simple PS4 game that I can play couch co-op with my dad?

He is a bit older and not a gamer, so simple and easy is better. The only game he plays on the PS4 is Everybody's Golf (which he probably has 5000 hours on).

I tried Overcooked last time I visited but he wasn't a big fan.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ROCKET LEAGUE

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Loddfafnir posted:

I agree Caves of Qud might be good for you, but don’t wait for whatever the next update is. It’s been in development for a decade, there will always be another update. If you want to try it, try it now. As someone who plays it and follows the thread regularly, it already had “the next big update” with the Cave of the Eaters and I don’t anticipate another big expansion level update soon.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's janky but I think it holds up on the narrative/quest front for the most part, I'd call it well worth playing. Maybe skip the insanely anti-semitic side quest about the Jewish gnome conspiracy though.

I liked it a lot when I played 3 years ago and I'm not even a hardcore cRPG guy! A lot of the quests connect with each other in fun ways and I felt like that made them all flow nicely. Good writing. I didn't run into the Jewish Gnome but maybe that's cause I played as a gnome?

Anyway, I've been playing BOTW again and having a great time watching the creatures and their animations (watch some peblitts try to chase you and your heart will melt). I love how every character is pretty charming and/or adorable. Are there any other games with lots of fun creatures? It could be an open world RPG or a linear action game or some weird life sim. I just want to see lots of cute monsters and animations.

Last Guardian is one of my favorite games but I love meeting new creatures, which Last Guardian doesn't have a lot (great animations and behaviors for the creature though). 3d is definitely my preference but if a 2d game has enough detail it could work. I've don't really have much experience with the Zelda series, I'd see friends play them as a kid but when i would try it I'd get too bored in the first few hours to continue.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Loddfafnir posted:

Hi there,

I'm looking for something but I'm not entirely sure of my criteria

* many builds : either at each game start if a single game is short, or with a free and complete respec if the game is long
* an interesting or innovative fight system, methodical / slow if realtime and turn-based otherwise
* something sandboxy or with many interactions
* not very grindy

Dredgers could work but I found the game sluggish. Turn-based and with an auto-explore, it would have been perfect.

Wildermyth , Gloomhaven and Low Magic Age fit relatively well. They are not sandboxes but the open world aspect is satisfying and the combat system is interesting enough for Wildermyth and Low Magic Age (and quite innovative for Gloomhaven)

Chronicon is the only hack and slash I like, thanks to the free respec, the interesting loot, the fun and dumb builds and the relatively low grindyness. But the combat system isn't extremely interesting.

Horizon's Gate was full of potential but it had too much of Final Fantasy Tactics (I didn't like Fell Seal at all for instance). I didn't like grinding jobs for the side characters, and while I liked the lean combat system, I disliked having to choose the orientation of each character after each turn. It was like a third of each turn for almost nothing.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is nice but too repetitive between each games with the fixed order of quests and dungeons, and I dislike the huge difficulty spikes hidden in the middle of uninteresting critters. I didn't like DCSS for some of these reasons but the last time I played was a long time ago and I should probably try again. I think Cogmind would fit but my screen is too small and I can't see well even my the max sized fonts.
Rift Wizard fits my criteria but it's not what I'm looking for right (hence some criteria are probably missing).
Trials of Fire is nice too.

I love deckbuilders roguelites but they are not very sandboxy or open wordly, and you can't really build what you want each game (which is something I love but not what I'm looking for right now). Chrono Ark is apparently a bit different so I bought it to see if it could do the trick.

I played (and love) most of the famous roguelikes (except CDDA) but it's not exactly the kind of games I'm looking for either.

If I manage to learn how to play Exanima it will be quite nice.

Master of Magic is perfect and I'm looking for this exact same freedom.Dominions 5 is nice but I play only in solo which is not ideal, and there is too much micro management during the endgame. I'm impatiently waiting for Conquest of Elysium 5.

Thanks!

DCSS?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Could I get a recommendation for a simple PS4 game that I can play couch co-op with my dad?

He is a bit older and not a gamer, so simple and easy is better. The only game he plays on the PS4 is Everybody's Golf (which he probably has 5000 hours on).

EDF maybe? That could be a fun dad game. The rayman platformers are also a decent choice if he'd be into that. If he likes horror co-oping Until Dawn is a fun experience. Scott Pilgrim or a similar beatemup is dad friendly. Or diablo 3.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hughmoris posted:

I assume Streets of Rage 4 is on PS4? If so, then that! On low difficulty, a person can just walk to the enemies and press "punch" and occasionally other buttons by accident, and they'll do fine. The combat system has a surprising amount of depth that you need to tap into on higher difficulties, but Easy is definitely easy. My spouse sucks at games and can play it just fine.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hi thread, just got a pc that can play games for the first time in 10 years or so. I'd like a 3d game that is open world or sandbox with a focus on fun movement. I don't really know how to explain it, but something like the movement in mirrors edge, or the wire/parachute combo in just cause 2 that makes simple traversal of an environment engaging and lets you kind of zone out and just explore. Skate 3 or skiing in goldsrc games kinda come to mind as well. Maybe a driving/vehicle sim with a big open world and heavy customisation? Idk just gently caress me up really.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
One thing I have discovered in my long search to find another game like Just Cause 2.

Is that you should just go ahead and play Just cause 2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

field balm posted:

Hi thread, just got a pc that can play games for the first time in 10 years or so. I'd like a 3d game that is open world or sandbox with a focus on fun movement. I don't really know how to explain it, but something like the movement in mirrors edge, or the wire/parachute combo in just cause 2 that makes simple traversal of an environment engaging and lets you kind of zone out and just explore. Skate 3 or skiing in goldsrc games kinda come to mind as well. Maybe a driving/vehicle sim with a big open world and heavy customisation? Idk just gently caress me up really.

Saints Row 4

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

OgNar posted:

One thing I have discovered in my long search to find another game like Just Cause 2.

Is that you should just go ahead and play Just cause 2.

Lol, yeah I'll probably replay it soon to be honest. I do own the third one but have never been able to play it. I take it the later games didn't really improve the formula?

Hwurmp posted:

Saints Row 4

Thanks - that's another one with exactly what I mean movement wise but unfortunately I've already played the hell out of it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

field balm posted:

Sunset Overdrive,Forza Horizon 4, or Immortals: Fenyx Rising
e:
Also if you want more Just Cause, 3 and 4 are fine... I know a lot of folks harp on them for not being as good but really they're both decent enough to be worth the heavy discounts you can get them for.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 28, 2021

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal
Go and try Hero Siege the game is actually good. Give it a go

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

field balm posted:

You should probably grab Gamepass and try out stuff to your heart's content, but yea I'd echo Forza Horizon 4 or Burnout Paradise. Underdogs might be something like Anthem, Rage 2, or Crackdown 3.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Knightmare posted:

You should probably grab Gamepass and try out stuff to your heart's content, but yea I'd echo Forza Horizon 4 or Burnout Paradise. Underdogs might be something like Anthem, Rage 2, or Crackdown 3.

I'm that far out of touch I didn't realise game pass covered pc stuff. Thanks, getting it asap

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Cantorsdust posted:

I agree Caves of Qud might be good for you, but don’t wait for whatever the next update is. It’s been in development for a decade, there will always be another update. If you want to try it, try it now. As someone who plays it and follows the thread regularly, it already had “the next big update” with the Cave of the Eaters and I don’t anticipate another big expansion level update soon.

Alright, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

field balm posted:

I'm that far out of touch I didn't realise game pass covered pc stuff. Thanks, getting it asap

Out of the Microsoft store, not anywhere else, so be sure you check there. And I'm fairly sure you have to be running Windows 10.