Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I went to a 'sixth form residential week' at Nottingham Uni in about 1976. I remember the desolate, windswept, concrete buildings.
There was a big storm and trees were falling down on the path in front of us walking back from the physics lecture theatres to the residences.
I expect it might be a bit different now, 45 years later!

150 the number of shelves of books my mother thinks she is going to move single handedly in recycling bags when she moves.

It's getting on for 4000 litres of books.

(She won't listen to reason and stump up for professional removal firm to do the packing. Next time I go over, I'm going to make her just try one shelf of books and see how well that works.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My first choice of uni was Nottingham, as it was doing a course on Artificial Intelligence that I fancied doing.
Didn't get the grades, didn't invent skynet and not ruling over you all.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Stop dissing my home city :argh:

I just wish they'd demolish Broadmarsh already, and build something nice to replace it (and not student flats like every other building project lately).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the drunkest I ever got was in Nottingham on a friend's stag do, thanks to jelly shots at Cucamara

I got out of a taxi at a big junction because I was going to puke everywhere (so I've been told, I don't remember a thing) and it drove off because there was a massive queue behind. I still have utterly no idea how I got back to the B&B we were staying in, not knowing what it was called and having never been to Nottingham before so I couldn't give directions

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If anyone is old like me and wants a blast from the past, some one who will go down in legend has bought the building where the pink flamingo used to be during lockdown, has turned it back into a bar, and the theme is 2 for 1 on drinks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

Stop dissing my home city :argh:

I just wish they'd demolish Broadmarsh already, and build something nice to replace it (and not student flats like every other building project lately).

Is the whole place closed down now? It felt like it was on the outs when I moved out in 2010.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Convex posted:

Is the whole place closed down now? It felt like it was on the outs when I moved out in 2010.

They've demolished the car park and were in the middle of renovating the whole thing when the company that owned it went bust

The city council has taken over the site but is hilariously broke due to setting up a council owned green energy company which went bankrupt so we'll see what happens

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
I had the AZ stab a while back, thought it was no biggie as I was alright the rest of the day and evening then felt like utter poo poo for three days. Also felt like I lost a dead arm contest the whole time.

Should be getting lined up for the second one soon so that should be fun.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i understand the second one has much lower reporting of side effects and less severe when there are. I can't speak good english right now apparently

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's better than dying imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
always talking about poo poo you know nothing about

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

We went to Nottingham once and bae accidentally ended up driving on the tram tracks

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 28, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
neun und neunzig sex arschen dooo doodoo dodoood odooooooooo :sax:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I had a mate who went to uni in Nottingham and I went to a couple of decent night's out there at a weirdly big indy disco I think was called rock city?
I saw Skyclad there when I was like 13. They were good.

That is my Nottingham story.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

I went to Nottingham Rock City for a gig, and afterwards had a kebab.

They put rice in their kebabs in Nottingham. That's bad.

That's my Nottingham story.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

We went to Nottingham once and bae accidentally ended up driving on the tram tracks

Literally done the exact same thing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Daylight savings needs to gently caress of and summer time should die a horrible painful death, I never really minded it before but now it must be destroyed

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rumda posted:

Daylight savings needs to gently caress of and summer time should die a horrible painful death, I never really minded it before but now it must be destroyed

No, to the contrary.

It should be summer time all year. Winter time is bullshit.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Ian Austin in being complete dogfucker shocker

https://twitter.com/lordianaustin/status/1375951399440285700?s=21

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

sebzilla posted:

No, to the contrary.

It should be summer time all year. Winter time is bullshit.

No then the worst part of all this would be all year round. Being another hour offset from my girlfriend.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/dailymirror/status/1375945909872246790?s=21

Ah, well, nevertheless

:Edit: weirdly this reminded me in a very profound way that Boris Johnson is the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Literally everyone knew this though, and no one gave a poo poo cos its bloody Boris innit, fuckin lad.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

I saw Skyclad there when I was like 13. They were good.

That is my Nottingham story.

ooooooooooooo did you do The Widdershins Jig - we did that at the Astoria (London, not Nottingham) - the whole place erupted and we were all in a big circle doing it. That one and Moongleam and Meadowsweet (for my soppier moments) are my favourite songs by them (though I sometimes worry a little about the lyrics in the latter - my notion of England having been somewhat tarnished by the right).
(That was almost 30 years ago ... doesn't seem like that at all. I feel old LOL)

Soppiest, wettest pagan thrash metal song ever. (Beware the 'false finish' and keep playing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb1P3XXHTWY

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 28, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"serial love cheat" is an extremely weird phrase.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I would be amazed if Boris wasn't also a parallel love cheat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Which wife or wives was Boris cheating on this time? I legitimately don't know. Or care enough to check Wikipedia.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

There's a chart!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

There's a chart!

But what on earth do they see in him?
They must be mad, desperate or both!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm sorry, Musical Tottie?

At first I thought Boris was alleged to have hosed a potato

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I'm sorry, Musical Tottie?

At first I thought Boris was alleged to have hosed a potato

Violinist was the rumour doing the rounds last summer.
That chart is woefully inadequate, if Ms Arcuri's story about their affair being 4 years is anything to go by.
Also, Boris doesn't seem like someone who restricts himself to double-dipping, if you'll excuse the crude metaphor.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Violinist was the rumour doing the rounds last summer.
That chart is woefully inadequate, if Ms Arcuri's story about their affair being 4 years is anything to go by.
Also, Boris doesn't seem like someone who restricts himself to double-dipping, if you'll excuse the crude metaphor.

Oh! I thought there was some posh git who had literally named their daughter Musical Tottie and was baffled

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I hate this vile putrescent gently caress.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/27/boris-johnson-branded-irresponsible-over-back-to-the-office-call

quote:

Boris Johnson branded irresponsible over ‘back to the office’ call
Scientists alarmed as prime minister suggests people have had enough ‘days off’ while Labour pushes the right to work from home

Boris Johnson has sparked new controversy over when employees should return to their workplaces by suggesting people have had enough “days off” at home during the pandemic, and should try to go back to their offices.

etc

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But what on earth do they see in him?
They must be mad, desperate or both!

Apparently he's quite charming.
He's also wealthy, powerful and the type to lavish affection and gifts.

Most people don't give a gently caress about someone's politics. Or the fact that he looks like a third hand cabbage patch kid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

Apparently he's quite charming.
He's also wealthy, powerful and the type to lavish affection and gifts.

Most people don't give a gently caress about someone's politics. Or the fact that he looks like a third hand cabbage patch kid.

I wasn't even thinking about his politics. To my shame in my 30s I dated someone for a few months who was drop-dead gorgeous but then turned out to be very right wing (I took to throwing hastily scribbled cartoons of Hitler at him when we rowed). Took me a while for my head to overcome my lust and bin him off.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I wasn't even thinking about his politics. To my shame in my 30s I dated someone for a few months who was drop-dead gorgeous but then turned out to be very right wing (I took to throwing hastily scribbled cartoons of Hitler at him when we rowed). Took me a while for my head to overcome my lust and bin him off.

We've all done it!

I've never dumped anyone, always been the dumpee.

I still think my wife is only with me because most people are shockingly awful and she's at least content and all the mazlow's hierarchy stuff is basically sorted. Plus if she ever really was bored I'd support her to go do whatever with whoever anyway because /shrug. Love her to bits and being possessive is boring.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

At this point I've realized that "do you think human rights are optional?" is such a deep dealbreaker I should have started with that, every time.

Eh. I figure starting with "I don't date racists" would work powerfully for a filter on one of those dating apps.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

We've all done it!

I've never dumped anyone, always been the dumpee.

I still think my wife is only with me because most people are shockingly awful and she's at least content and all the mazlow's hierarchy stuff is basically sorted. Plus if she ever really was bored I'd support her to go do whatever with whoever anyway because /shrug. Love her to bits and being possessive is boring.

I got dumped one time - the guy said he was 'getting back with his ex'. I was crying and laughing at the same time. "Why are you laughing" he said. "Because", I said, "that's the line I always use when I dump someone - 'getting back with my ex'. I had some notion back then that it was the kindest way to dump someone because everyone knows you can't compete with an ex..
(Actually I've never got back with an ex, I always make sure I'm 'off with the old before on the with the new' but most people don't seem to operate like that.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/DemRulesUK/status/1373789803884519428?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, guess I can stop wondering what Tom Watson has been doing since stepping down as an MP, he's an artists model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I would be amazed if Boris wasn't also a parallel love cheat.
Given that he had at least one backup (the violinist), he's a RAID cheat.

endlessmonotony posted:

Which wife or wives was Boris cheating on this time? I legitimately don't know. Or care enough to check Wikipedia.
Think it was the wife who had cancer, while he was also starting to see Carrie.