Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I think a year or two ago someone released an updated version of a 90s RPG about some kind of... cyberpunk island? I read the original source book years ago, and thought it was kinda cool, but forgot its name. Is the new version worth a try, anyone bought it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

busalover posted:

I think a year or two ago someone released an updated version of a 90s RPG about some kind of... cyberpunk island? I read the original source book years ago, and thought it was kinda cool, but forgot its name. Is the new version worth a try, anyone bought it?

Sounds like you're talking about Over the Edge? I haven't played either edition so I have no idea how it turned out.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

busalover posted:

Are you thinking of Hard Wired Island by Ettin?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

busalover posted:

If you are talking about Over the Edge, it is one of the great role-playing games ever made. So much fun. So chock full of fun ideas, juicy setting bits, and chaos. I've had some of my best sessions ever running it with friends. The system in the 90s version is also just about perfect and all you really need in an RPG. It's open source - the WaRP system. The supplements were all amazing with incredible plots that can go in any direction and will blow your players minds, especially if they have a D&D frame of reference. The 90s version does require you to play set in the late 80s or mid 90s to make it believable, which is why they updated the setting to more a modern take.

The new version is also really good. The system did not capture me at first, but that's because I still was expecting an updated WaRP system. It's growing on me though, but it's a gorgeous book and is full off incredible plot ideas. (I think there are suggestions for how to run it with the original system if the new system doesn't fit your tastes.)

If nothing else, get a copy of the book to just read when bored. You will be happy.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

RocketLunatic posted:

If you are talking about Over the Edge, it is one of the great role-playing games ever made. So much fun. So chock full of fun ideas, juicy setting bits, and chaos. I've had some of my best sessions ever running it with friends. The system in the 90s version is also just about perfect and all you really need in an RPG. It's open source - the WaRP system. The supplements were all amazing with incredible plots that can go in any direction and will blow your players minds, especially if they have a D&D frame of reference. The 90s version does require you to play set in the late 80s or mid 90s to make it believable, which is why they updated the setting to more a modern take.

The new version is also really good. The system did not capture me at first, but that's because I still was expecting an updated WaRP system. It's growing on me though, but it's a gorgeous book and is full off incredible plot ideas. (I think there are suggestions for how to run it with the original system if the new system doesn't fit your tastes.)

If nothing else, get a copy of the book to just read when bored. You will be happy.

Yeah that's it. I felt the same way about the original, just super-creative and great at creating a mysterious and engaging vibe. Good to know the update is worth its while.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Our prospective Over the Edge game has been in limbo hell for a bit. Kind of in a rough spot as a player since, while I've heard a fair amount of setting from the GM, they're taking advantage of the chance for outsiders to "go in blind" by... not messing with the setting section much at all before we start. Made character creation rough alongside my existing significant difficulty with FATE-esque aspects (yeah, I know OtE predates FATE) and trying to fit a group concept in a useful way.
Hopefully it eventually pans out and goes well.

I also got around to reading through all of Never Going Home last night, and I'm interested but it's very weird in structure and not well organized at all. Might try to run a one shot and see how it is with my group. (Maybe even write an F&F that's actually informed by play experience this time, and a little more engaging and better received than Red Markets has been... coming up on the parts I love most of the system but my drive to work on it is entirely gone.)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Weird question: Is there a RPG where each player controls a squad instead of a single character?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Weird question: Is there a RPG where each player controls a squad instead of a single character?

That's how the DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classics) funnel works - you generate about 4 peasants per player, and then use them collectively as a group to take on the first adventure. The survivors become 1st-level PCs and are played singly thereafter.

The funnel has been used in other games too, like Lair of the Lamb for the GLOG.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Only War immediately comes to mind since each player controls two squad members. However, one of the two is the "primary" character and the other is more of an assisting figure. Ars Magica brings bigger groups into the picture but I have no firsthand experience to know how it is.
Further afield from what you asked would be something like Legacy that mixes individual/small group with faction play. Not quite the same territory.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Squad play leans more towards board games and wargames than it does RPGs. I don't think I've ever seen an RPG with more than two characters per player.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Scion 2E has rules for having a gang, gaggle, or other military unit under your control, but that's usually in the context of like "Andrea the Dwarf Giant Has a Posse" rather than being about squad cohesion or other emergent details of small group tactics.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
drat, too bad. Wanted a WWII game where you could do that.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, for that heavy reskinning of Only War might be your best "published" option but it's not a very common one. People have a hard enough time with pools of characters, let alone individual squads of multiple to cover. Makes the roleplay side harder too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

AD&D if you actually use the rules for hirelings and followers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hirelings are more disposable resources than characters.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Hirelings are more disposable resources than characters.

Wasn't that how Gygax's home group cleared the original Tomb of Horrors, just sending in wave after wave of hirelings until all the death traps were clogged with bodies?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mycroft Holmes posted:

drat, too bad. Wanted a WWII game where you could do that.

What's stopping you from taking a one-character-per-player WWII RPG and simply having each player build a squad of character? Are you looking for mechanical support for intra-squad dynamics?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's stopping you from taking a one-character-per-player WWII RPG and simply having each player build a squad of character? Are you looking for mechanical support for intra-squad dynamics?

A Patrol hack with a randomized mix of personality traits would get you most of the way there. Or make the PCs squad and platoon level officers and NCOs, and let the PC roleplay with an trooper.

Maybe OP should go into more detail on what kind of gameplay they want.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You could pretty easily do that in Reign.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As someone who deeply, fervently does not care about playing in WWII, I now really want a squad-level WWII hack of Reign. That sounds tight as hell.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Xiahou Dun posted:

As someone who deeply, fervently does not care about playing in WWII, I now really want a squad-level WWII hack of Reign. That sounds tight as hell.

:emptyquote:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Albedo's RPG is entirely about each player playing a squad leader, the entire combat system revolves around it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Night10194 posted:

Albedo's RPG is entirely about each player playing a squad leader, the entire combat system revolves around it.
I ran across the free generic version a while back. Each player gets a main character and four simplified supporting characters.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/128371/Magenta

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Pretty sure Godlike has everything you need down to fire team rules.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Any recommendations for a VTT that handles cards and custom sheets w/ roll macros & other trackers well? Roll20 does the former but suffers with the latter, Foundry does the latter but last I checked the former is still iffy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does anyone have any idea how you hide names in Roll20's chat from appearing as the GM? As a player only the journal entries you have flagged as being for you show up, but as a GM everything does (including monsters and players). It's not a huge problem now but as sessions continue this list will only get bigger.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Doesn’t sound like it’s at all what you’re looking for since it’s like the worst possible choice for a World War 2 game, but Ars Magicka also technically fits the bill - while most of the focus in on your Magi and your Companion, any player can freely assume the role of Grogs and the combat system does specifically encourage/support players controlling groups of up to 6 NPCs, so making that core would just be a matter of expectation/emphasis

You could also almost certainly do something interesting with Cortex Prime, but that’s more of a framework than anything else, and it would be a fair bit of work (but potentially really cool, but also not necessarily at all what you’re looking for)

e: oh Ars was already mentioned

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 30, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know a lot about Coriolis? It's in a bundle of holding and that elevator pitch sounds fun

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Len posted:

Does anyone know a lot about Coriolis? It's in a bundle of holding and that elevator pitch sounds fun

I picked up a physical bundle a ways back but I've never gotten it on the table. The art and setting are great, and I found a great scifi author in their listed inspirations for the game (Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds). It's on my list of games to try at Gencon (god willing).

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Len posted:

While I haven't played Coriolis myself, I have been running a campaign in Free League's Alien, which uses a variant on the same system. Overall the Year Zero system is a fairly intuitive system that is both simple and robust.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I like procedural generation in gaming supplements because it usually makes it fun for me to whip up something that will have features I do not anticipate.

Scenic Dunnsmouth (published by Lamentations of the Flame Princess, but it's system agnostic) takes a dice-and-deck-of-cards approach to building a unique decaying backwater with plots, hooks and treasure.

I recently saw that Mothership - Dead Planet had a dice-and-tables method for making the entire floorplan of a derelict spaceship. Included are rules for procedurally generating hidden airduct connections. The rules are quick and easy.

In addition if you are looking for tables for nightmares, weird weapons caches, personalities of space cannibals, or a module for a planet like in Dead Space, then Mothership - Dead Planet is for you.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/249108/Mothership-Dead-Planet

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This has one hell of a one-star review:

quote:

Forcing players to mutilate themselves is what killed my campaign, bad module.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, making your players mutilate themselves is bad design, that should only happen to player characters.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Helical Nightmares posted:

I like procedural generation in gaming supplements because it usually makes it fun for me to whip up something that will have features I do not anticipate.

Scenic Dunnsmouth (published by Lamentations of the Flame Princess, but it's system agnostic) takes a dice-and-deck-of-cards approach to building a unique decaying backwater with plots, hooks and treasure.

I recently saw that Mothership - Dead Planet had a dice-and-tables method for making the entire floorplan of a derelict spaceship. Included are rules for procedurally generating hidden airduct connections. The rules are quick and easy.

In addition if you are looking for tables for nightmares, weird weapons caches, personalities of space cannibals, or a module for a planet like in Dead Space, then Mothership - Dead Planet is for you.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/249108/Mothership-Dead-Planet

Last Gasp Grimoire is packed full of good stuff like that, indeed it's one of my favorite aspects of the OSR movement as a whole, tons of great tables and charts to roll on scattered throughout dozens of blogs

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah or just use anything that isn't straight class based/level based and have each player use a single character sheet for their squad.

If you need them to be mechanically discreet you could have certain skills/abilities or dice and whatever 'belong' to certain squad members. If that character is incapped the squad loses access to those skills/abilities or performs worse.

I'm thinking something akin to an old cool mtg variant I saw published in Inquest back in the day, where you played as a 'team' of wizards instead of a single one. Each had a seperate HP pool, and you used point buy to get them access to basic resources like card draw, hand size, and color usage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i've been on a one piece kick lately, are there any good pbta pirate games i can use as a jump off point?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Len posted:

i've been on a one piece kick lately, are there any good pbta pirate games i can use as a jump off point?

It's not explicitly pirate-themed, but Fellowship supports One Piece really well to begin with, and even better with the "Horizon" alternate GM role.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not explicitly pirate-themed, but Fellowship supports One Piece really well to begin with, and even better with the "Horizon" alternate GM role.
It also has a Ship shared playbook, if you want the vessel and the related duties to be important.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would never have considered that, but you're totally right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Len posted:

There's also a DW setting called Pirate World. It was kickstarted and PDFs were distributed to backers, but it seems like the creator's just dropped off the Internet; it never hit print and it's not even sold anywhere. I'm sharing my copy of it.