Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

FoolyCharged posted:

I really love that ending for some reason. It's very bleak and desolate in a way that matches the rest of the game and the sole survivor bit fits with the shift into horror genre the game does. It would be a real shame if almost all of it got retconned later on...

Master Chief's isolation and loneliness is, or maybe I should say 'was intended to be', a major theme. At the time of the game's release, he was described as the last surviving Spartan (note: not even close to true) and him being the sole survivor of Halo compounded that survivor's guilt.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fun fact about that helmet tease - if you hack the camera to be able to see inside the ship during that scene, his helmet doesn't actually come off. It just puts an extra helmet in his hands to put next to him, and the actual model, since it was never meant to be shown like that, just keeps the helmet as per normal since the cutscene camera can't see his head when it happens anyway.

Hahahah, I'd never seen the gif before

Deformed Church posted:

I really like the comedy bits, Halo just doesn't have enough backing it up to take itself that seriously. I feel like they kind of lose that throughout the series, it gets pretty joyless later on.

Since I mentioned it in the commentary, I'll bring up Supernatural here and the reason I like it despite it being an obviously stupid show. The first season of that show is absolutely intended to be a dark, serious YA novel style monster hunter show, with a couple funny episodes thrown in for variety. Someone running it realized that there's no longevity in doing "serious vampire hunters" and they decided to lean into the ridiculous nature of it. They went for making a show that was "fun" instead of whatever definition of "good" they were originally intending, and hey they got 15 seasons out of it. And that's definitely something that lots of videos games, including later Halos, miss out on. Especially as studios become bigger and design starts being more corporate directed, it seems like they expect "fun" to be an intrinsic quality of a game, or a by-product of making something "good", rather than an actual goal you can work towards during development.

Outpost22 posted:

Does anyone know how Sgt. Johnson survives that ending?

I will actually be posting a video to explain what happens between Halo 1 and Halo 2, and Sgt. Johnson is a really big chunk of that.

And I just want to give a bit of a refresher warning on posting spoilers. Sgt. Johnson surviving doesn't exactly count since Halo 2 isn't going to treat it as any kind of surprise or twist, but it's very close since it's something we haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think my favorite gag is probably the way the game starts off with the serious drama about if the covenant get Cortana they can find earth.

And then you get to the end of the game and guilty spark starts laughing at humanity for being dumb enough to put all this info in her.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin the surprise for those unfamiliar with the sequel. I actually played the second one before the first, so my exposure to Sgt Johnson was a little different. I look forward to the interstitial videos coming up that explain things.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why didn't the Halo builders make the sentinels out of the same stuff Guilty Spark was made out of?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I mean he was probably nowhere near the Autumn when she blew. He's insane, not stupid. The second he realised it was over he probably teleported to a safe distance.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, but the sentinels explode after a couple gun shots, Guilty Spark is just immune.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Listen, they were building a three hundred Kilometer wide superweapon with it's own built in garden, they had to cut costs somewhere. It's the same reason they don't like to use guardrails.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Next you'll tell me having the superweapon designed to stop a doomsday event specifically require an outsider show up to fire it was a bad idea. What, you think they'll chose to live and just blow it up or something?
Or hell, they could just get eaten not knowing it existed to fire. Or get eaten before they can fly over.

....We really didn't think these plans through did we?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ablative posted:

Also there are a lot of guys with that character model, so even if it was they could just say it wasn't actually Johnson.

This is true - remember, the "Canon" Sergeant Johnson went with Keyes on his mission to where we first meet The Flood. We meet more marines, complete with a Johnson-model/voice Sergeant *after* we know that mission was launched, in Assault on the Control Room. Though I can't remember if that one's set to be Johnson, or if it's one of the couple of instances where the Sergeant's identity is randomized between Johnson and Stacker. I think it's set to Johnson.

Fact is, we meet more than two marine Sergeants over the course of the game, but there are only two Marine Sergeant 'characters' in the game, just like there are a set number of Marine 'personalities'. Mendoza, Bisenti, Jenkins, Chips Dubbo... I swear to god I remember there being more than 4 non-sergeant marine voices, but I can only remember the four.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

This is true - remember, the "Canon" Sergeant Johnson went with Keyes on his mission to where we first meet The Flood. We meet more marines, complete with a Johnson-model/voice Sergeant *after* we know that mission was launched, in Assault on the Control Room. Though I can't remember if that one's set to be Johnson, or if it's one of the couple of instances where the Sergeant's identity is randomized between Johnson and Stacker. I think it's set to Johnson.

Fact is, we meet more than two marine Sergeants over the course of the game, but there are only two Marine Sergeant 'characters' in the game, just like there are a set number of Marine 'personalities'. Mendoza, Bisenti, Jenkins, Chips Dubbo... I swear to god I remember there being more than 4 non-sergeant marine voices, but I can only remember the four.

You can even get a Johnson at the end of 343 Guilty Spark.

There are definitely more Marine but I don't think they're ever like, addressed outside of voice actor credits? Maybe?

And Johnson's survival is gonna be nice and sane compared to someone else's...

EDIT: And before I forget, in addition to using the Autumn to blow up the ring, the off-camera Marines raided the ship for supplies in the book too, so that's another good reason to land it.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 28, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad you were able to finish this fight.

Edit: Also here's Guilty Spark's time in space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZUpggRKOms

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 29, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Oh, now that we're done the game I can finally post that devs react to speedrun video we mentioned a whole bunch of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ndZbg8Mr-Q

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Haha there’s a great moment around 19:50 where one of the devs just says “noooo shitttt” in the most impressed way possible

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So this thread inspired me to buy the MCC collection on steam. And I might have to re-learn how to play mouse and keyboard because for a game that codified controller play for FPS, man am I not able to dial in the sensitivity. On one hand I want it fast so I can turn worth a drat, but OTOH, it means my sniper is more effective as a club than an actual sniping implement.

Also, just for fun I played through most of Halo 1 on legendary with cheats turned on, and man, that isn't even fun if you can't technically be killed.

loving Jackals just shoot you with an unending stream of bolts from the plasma pistol. No cool down, no respite, it's nuts. I don't know if Grunts are all the special forces version, but they are all wearing purple even on the pillar of autumn. There are way more elites in every encounter, and they are all mad as hell. Hunters are actually the least challenging enemy, if you can get it down to jsut the two of them, but it is an absolute slog to get there.

Turn around and play on normal mode with no cheats, and I feel like a badass. Still need to get my legs back under me, but at least I feel like I can actually hit things.

I don't know if any goons would be down to play in some friendly matches, but it might be fun.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Alternate Warthog Run

Did you know about this alternate Warthog Run in Halo?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Until now I never realized how much the warthog needed a shitton of Jerry cans strapped to it for no reason.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

FoolyCharged posted:

Until now I never realized how much the warthog needed a shitton of Jerry cans strapped to it for no reason.

Hey come on now. They're full of water so that the warthog can use its internal electrolyzer to refill the hydrogen fuel cells. Plus, the design needed a splash of colour.

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know if any goons would be down to play in some friendly matches, but it might be fun.

I'd still love to organize Goon customs and maybe use them for multiplayer videos, but I think only one other person expressed interest.

Also, I have some Halo 2 videos all queued up, but it'll be couple weeks still until actual gameplay.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
gently caress it, I'll play too.

Doubly so if those whacko mods ever get released

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

gently caress it, I'll play too.

Doubly so if those whacko mods ever get released

Is that the one with the :flaccid: sniper and the extra dangerous D20 grenades, and the reverse pistol and all the other messed up stuff?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I have no idea what you guys are talking about

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CzarChasm posted:

Is that the one with the :flaccid: sniper and the extra dangerous D20 grenades, and the reverse pistol and all the other messed up stuff?

Yes. It is all my life needs to survive the pandemic.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about

Guy on YouTube, name of InfernoPlus, did Massive Crimes to Halo Custom Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxIjGjMJz0

It's... A thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Put the Mako in Burnout EA you cowards.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

Guy on YouTube, name of InfernoPlus, did Massive Crimes to Halo Custom Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxIjGjMJz0

It's... A thing.

That guy needs a hobby. Well, a different hobby. He clearly has way too much power to be trusted with.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Alright, no actual LP content today, but I am posting some old Halo 2 promo videos to start the hype.

Halo 2 - Announce Trailer - The original announce trailer for Halo 2 from late 2002. For an unplanned sequel they were moving pretty quickly considering that's only a year after Halo 1 came out. Despite being mostly just the MC walking around with radio chatter in the background, there's a lot of implied plot points and new content in this video. Enough to keep us nerds talking for years when we should have been paying attention in computer class.

Halo 2 - Theatrical Trailer - This is the "theatrical" trailer, that was shown in movie theatres in late 2004 as part of the last big marketing push. Most of the content for this trailer actually comes from an E3 video, which I won't be posting just yet. Having it be a pre-roll trailer that you had to buy a ticket to see was a little bit of a dick move, since if you're paying attention, something weird happens to the URL at the end of the trailer....

Halo 2 - TV Commercial - And this is the regular old TV commercial also shown in late 2004. This trailer is mostly made up of actual gameplay clips and dialogue from the final game, which can give you an idea of what to expect. There is actually a minute-long version of this commercial out there, but I didn't include it because the best original resolution I could find was 180 vertical pixels (!) after removing black bars and my upscaling efforts looked awful.

Hopefully this gets you guys excited for Halo 2, but again, try not to post any "spoilers" for those who don't know what's going on. Some of what's in the trailers should be recognizable if you had read the books up until this point, and that's safe enough, but these are teasers and you're supposed to feel teased!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

if you had read the books up until this point

I don't know all that much about the Halo lore and all its additional materials and stuff.

I'd like it if at some point someone could make a post about all the non-game stuff that's out there such as books and how they tie in to the story. Are they retellings of the games? Original stories? And so on.

Perhaps it's still a bit early to ask for that and any post like that would be too spoilery, in that case feel free to hold off until later.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know all that much about the Halo lore and all its additional materials and stuff.

I'd like it if at some point someone could make a post about all the non-game stuff that's out there such as books and how they tie in to the story. Are they retellings of the games? Original stories? And so on.

Perhaps it's still a bit early to ask for that and any post like that would be too spoilery, in that case feel free to hold off until later.

So at this point, there's only 3 books. The Fall of Reach, which is a prequel to Halo 1, mostly covers the Master Chief's backstory, but also some of the human history and background of the Human-Covenant war. I do plan on covering some of this in a bonus video, but it'd be worth a read if you have time. It's a surprisingly good sci-fi book. It's also available as an animated movie/visual novel which is I think available on Netflix. The second book is The Flood, which is almost entirely a novelization of Halo 1, but with a bunch of extra detail of what the Covenant and other humans on the ring were up to. I don't really have much to say about that one. The third book is called First Strike, and it covers the gap between Halo 1 and Halo 2. I'll be posting a video next week that covers pretty much that entire book, so you'll get the important details from that.

Part of the problem is while it's not a lot now, the amount of non-game Halo content will start to explode. More and more books, whose connection to the main games' story are thin or convoluted. There's graphic novels/comics, a whole collection of Halo-themed anime shorts, some other live-action videos, and also the RTS, mobile, and arcade Halo games. As much as a Halo nerd as I make myself out to be, I haven't consumed it all, and I'm not familiar enough with some of it to know exactly how it all fits with main storyline (if at all). I am going to try and do bonus videos to cover particularly important details and tie-ins, but trying to cover all of it is basically like trying to write a book report on The Silmarillion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Halo 2 - TV Commercial - And this is the regular old TV commercial also shown in late 2004. This trailer is mostly made up of actual gameplay clips and dialogue from the final game, which can give you an idea of what to expect. There is actually a minute-long version of this commercial out there, but I didn't include it because the best original resolution I could find was 180 vertical pixels (!) after removing black bars and my upscaling efforts looked awful.
Now, this commercial I do remember appearing a lot on TV back in the day. It managed to give us a good look at things to come and had some very clever use of in-game dialogue to help hype up the game. That final line from the Prophet of Truth makes more sense in-context, but it works wonderfully as a hook to a game trailer.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
When do we learn why the Covenant can’t reload their guns?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

White Coke posted:

Same reason you don't just replace the battery in your phone when it gets low. Rechargeable batteries.

Chief just doesn't have the right cord.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

So at this point, there's only 3 books. The Fall of Reach, which is a prequel to Halo 1, mostly covers the Master Chief's backstory, but also some of the human history and background of the Human-Covenant war. I do plan on covering some of this in a bonus video, but it'd be worth a read if you have time. It's a surprisingly good sci-fi book. It's also available as an animated movie/visual novel which is I think available on Netflix. The second book is The Flood, which is almost entirely a novelization of Halo 1, but with a bunch of extra detail of what the Covenant and other humans on the ring were up to. I don't really have much to say about that one. The third book is called First Strike, and it covers the gap between Halo 1 and Halo 2. I'll be posting a video next week that covers pretty much that entire book, so you'll get the important details from that.

Part of the problem is while it's not a lot now, the amount of non-game Halo content will start to explode. More and more books, whose connection to the main games' story are thin or convoluted. There's graphic novels/comics, a whole collection of Halo-themed anime shorts, some other live-action videos, and also the RTS, mobile, and arcade Halo games. As much as a Halo nerd as I make myself out to be, I haven't consumed it all, and I'm not familiar enough with some of it to know exactly how it all fits with main storyline (if at all). I am going to try and do bonus videos to cover particularly important details and tie-ins, but trying to cover all of it is basically like trying to write a book report on The Silmarillion.

Maybe I just didn't wait long enough but when I watched it around the time Halo 5 came out it just stopped short halfway through the story.

I read Fall of Reach, Flood and First Strike a ton so I could give a quick wordy summary if you want.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

Planned obsolescence. Gotta keep Sanghelios Arms in business you know.

McTimmy posted:

Maybe I just didn't wait long enough but when I watched it around the time Halo 5 came out it just stopped short halfway through the story.

I read Fall of Reach, Flood and First Strike a ton so I could give a quick wordy summary if you want.

Oh weird, I watched it back when it came out too, but I didn't remember that it didn't even get to the part about Reach falling.

If you wanted to talk about stuff from The Flood that wasn't in the game, that'd be cool. I've read it a few times, but I never find it all that interesting compared to some of the others. But I'd rather you leave Fall of Reach and First Strike alone as I do plan on covering a lot of their content in my own bonus videos.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Ablative posted:

Same reason you don't just replace the battery in your phone when it gets low. Rechargeable batteries.

Chief just doesn't have the right cord.

My assumption has always been that the big purple crates they are carried around in also serve as there recharge station. It would certainly help explain there seemingly small carrying capacity despite their bulky size. Not that being comically inefficient isn't par for the course for the Covenant.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Planned obsolescence. Gotta keep Sanghelios Arms in business you know.

Oh weird, I watched it back when it came out too, but I didn't remember that it didn't even get to the part about Reach falling.

If you wanted to talk about stuff from The Flood that wasn't in the game, that'd be cool. I've read it a few times, but I never find it all that interesting compared to some of the others. But I'd rather you leave Fall of Reach and First Strike alone as I do plan on covering a lot of their content in my own bonus videos.

Here ya go!

The Flood

I'll be skipping most of the Master Chief does game levels because, well, you should know what happens. When something interesting happens I'll say it.

As Master Chief rampages through the Pillar of Autumn, he shoots the poo poo out of a Spec Ops Elite that's clearly not there in-game. And Jackals too. Anyway, a Grunt patrol happens upon the Spec Ops Elite and their leader, Yayap, decides rescuing him will keep his Grunts out of danger so takes the time to save him and survive.

Meanwhile a stealth Elite is tracking Captain Keyes. He sneaks into Keyes's escape pod, but Keyes spots his clever disguise and blows his brains out. And he just floats in the pod the entire way down.

And finally some ODSTs are having a party. Major Silva, head of all ODSTs despite being a Major, and Lieutenant Melissa McKay kill some Covenant and then drop pod down to Halo. Silva has the Pillar of Autumn's Second AI with him, Wellsley.

Keyes and his command staff and Marine escort go on the run, but one of them realizes that the Covenant aren't just glassing them because they somehow knows Keyes is important. Because of the Stealth Elite, you see. She tries to mutiny and gets hogtied and betrays them to the Covenant. The Covenant respond by executing everyone but Keyes. Traitor and all.

So, where those marines come from during the mission is anybody's guess.

Meanwhile Major Silva and McKay fend off a huge Covenant attack then take over a nearby Covenant base to use as their operating center.

Yayap the grunt is recruited by the Elite he rescued, Zuka 'Zamamee. Zamamee wants to go after Master Chief but gets told no by his commander and a Minor Prophet on board the Truth and Reconciliation.

Master Chief joins up with the rest of the crew, Silva berates him because he's a jackass and thinks ODSTs are better than Spartans. They launch the attack on Truth and Reconciliation and rescue Keyes. Keyes then berates Silva for acting like a jackass to the Chief but Silva lets drop that his men were once murdered to prove a point about the Spartans.

McKay around this time leads an attack on the Pillar of Autumn to scavenge for supplies.

Zamamee gets called in and is given the go-ahead to hunt Master Chief. The hunters outside the security room on Silent Cartographer are his doing, but they fail.

McKay and her convoy are ambushed by Covenant on their way back home but managed to push through, though with some loses.

Yayap infiltrates the human base by being taken prisoner.

Master Chief attacks the Control Room.

Zamamee launches an attack on the UNSC base, but despite sneaking Stealth Elites in using a Pelican and prisoner, they get repulsed even without the Chief's help. He frees Yayap and Yayap coerces him into leaving because they lost.

Master Chief goes into 343 Guilty Spark. He tries to help the crazy marine but can't do anything.

McKay sets up a counterattack ambush on the Covenant as revenge but the battle gets interrupted by the Flood showing up. The humans win, barely, and McKay takes a prisoner. Jenkins! Oh, and Jenkins is semi-lucid and suicidal because he's a flood hellbeast. Fun.

Master Chief fights through the Library. Halfway through, he finds a dead Sergeant surrounded by spent brass and so mulched the Flood couldn't even use his body anymore. Then Two Betrayals and Keyes. Captain Keyes has been fighting the Flood hivemind by slowly sacrificing his memories one-by-one until he can't even remember his own name. Then he gets punched.

The AIs chat and make a plan to take the Truth and Reconciliation. McKay leads a mission underground to seal up the Flood access points just long enough for the humans to evacuate.

Chief heads to Pillar of Autumn while Silva, McKay and the marines make their attack on Truth and Reconciliation. They successfully take the ship over and capture the Minor Prophet but Silva's a glory hound and wants to keep Flood samples on hand to research despite their still being active Flood on board. McKay and Jenkins realize how horrible this is and Jenkins suicidal trashing convinces McKay to blow up a vital conduit and destroy the ship. Great.

Zamamee and Yayap meanwhile have headed to the Pillar of Autumn because otherwise they'd have been executed for their failures. Zamamee takes a fake identity to do so and Yayap stops a Flood sneak attack. When they realize Master Chief is on board Zamamee makes his ambush. He's the Elite on the elevator before the Warthog run, though in the book he has a Shade. He dies.

Yayap then leaves to the outskirts because really staying was suicide. Then he dies anyway.

Yup, everyone but the Chief and Cortana are dead. Just like in-game.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

00 - Sgt. Johnson and the Journey Home

Ok, let's get Halo 2 kicked off here, although there's no actual gameplay yet. This video is an explainer to fill in the gap story-wise between the end of Halo 1 and the start of Halo 2. We'll be back at it with the first actual level next week.

McTimmy posted:

Here ya go!

The Flood

Thanks for that, I definitely forgot some of that stuff. Probably the most interesting part for me is the perspective of Pvt. Jenkins being taken over by the Flood but still being conscious. Blehhhh.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I love that the vice admiral is so insignificant that he's represented with a Lego figure in the recap.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The Halo devs react is hilarious especially when they get to the Library. "This is painful to watch and it's a speed run."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's Bungie so I don't know why I'm surprised it wound up being so convoluted.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

AradoBalanga posted:

I love that the vice admiral is so insignificant that he's represented with a Lego figure in the recap.

Hey at least he got his own box. Most of the other human characters got rolled up into miscellaneous.

Cythereal posted:

It's Bungie so I don't know why I'm surprised it wound up being so convoluted.

That's streamlined too. There's a bunch of time dilation nonsense, a callback to Fall of Reach plot arc, and a whole doomed romance between a Marine and a Navy pilot that I totally left out.

Also, one of my favourite things about First Strike is that it's also used as marketing material for new content in Halo 2. There's a part where the Spartans find new prototype weaponry (the new guns in Halo 2) and spend multiple paragraphs talking about how great they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I hope there was at least a paragraph dedicated to the concept of "What if two guns?"