Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kesper North posted:

Ah yes, notably sane and reasonable people, directors.

Werner Herzog would say anyone who doesn't is a coward.

Werner Herzog would say we're all in a constant state of dying.

I love that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

She’s going to drive off in a R34 Nissan Skyline to a Wiz Khalifa song.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
My favorite line reading of hers is probably ”I will not grill you a cheese!”

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Watching her crush a phone with one hand after falling for yet another voice mail prank was one of my favorite Archer moments.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If the show continues without her they will need someone new in charge of the agency, now I'm sure most people think oh well that's going to probably be Lana but I got a better idea that helps keep some of the elements in previous seasons in place while altering the dynamic to allow for new potential story lines.

Who do you think Malory would leave in charge if she ever died? The people we got now all got some kind of issues that make them unfit or wouldn't work as the boss so she would need to turn to someone she might trust to keep things in line at the agency while helping
Archer deal with her passing so he wouldn't totally self destruct. Where am I going with this? Easy.

Archers real father.

Yes the man we only semi saw once give young Archer a gator toy. We really don't know much about him or what he's like but if Malory had a thing with him that gave birth to Archer I'm going to wager he was in the spy business as well and while the two had a thing their differences and perhaps their similarities kept them apart.

Having him show up and keep the agency together and help everyone deal with their grief while being a strong character himself might give some of the best stories possible.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Honestly while the last season was really good by the end, I don't see any point in keeping it going without Mallory. That's a massive hole to fill. It was a mistake to keep Sealab going after Harry Goz died, and it would be the same kind of mistake here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShakeZula posted:

Honestly while the last season was really good by the end, I don't see any point in keeping it going without Mallory. That's a massive hole to fill. It was a mistake to keep Sealab going after Harry Goz died, and it would be the same kind of mistake here.

:same:

Her stuff for S12 is already recorded, at least. I think a two hour or three episode send off for the show after that would be good, but keeping it actually running without Mallory would be a mistake. She’s such a huge part of the cast and their relationships that you could do like one good arc about her absence and them moving on, but you have a major risk of it losing its way long term.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't some other VA for another show die recently

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Season 12 to start airing August 25th.

https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1400522217851482113

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Wait... I had something for this....

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Season 12 key art revealed:

https://twitter.com/archerfxx/status/1417167358146355204

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Who’s the guy on the bottom left? Looks familiar but I can’t place it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looks like Captain Murphy maybe?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
He looks like Archer with grey temples.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
John Fitzgerald Archer, I wager.

No relation.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
And now a trailer:

https://twitter.com/archerfxx/status/1420776133063286785

Pampage!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
haha are they the eco-terrorists this season

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ego-terrorists, I think you'll find.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"Kill them as caterpillars I say" she truly was one of the best :unsmith:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
She was the show's butterfly.

Sugar.

Baby.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I can’t imagine the show without Mallory. :[

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is season 13 confirmed yet? If so I wonder if they'll actually kill Mallory in the show.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Three coma seasons for George Coe, I'm sure this death rates five coma seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No posts for the new season?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh.

Well.

Should probably watch it tonight.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

muscles like this! posted:

No posts for the new season?

I liked it! The show is headed in an interesting direction and I'm on board.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

It took the show a little bit last season to find its footing again, but once it did it felt like classic Archer. Thankfully that trend continued here, as both of these episodes were very good.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I liked the Frisky Dingo callback. The sandman is coming!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The first two episodes were good. Unremarkable, but good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Two episodes that were good but certainly not in the top ten of the show or anything.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm really enjoying it but it's classic stuff

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Two perfectly acceptable Archer episodes. Total comfort food.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I really don't like Lana's husband. It was cool when he shook up the dynamic by being an emotionally healthy person, and even when he turned out to actually be as toxic as everyone else, but the vacillating between the two really rubs me the wrong way.

Especially because it feels like he's being set up to replace Mallory for any potential post-Jessica Walter seasons, which I would rather he did not.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I really don't like Lana's husband. It was cool when he shook up the dynamic by being an emotionally healthy person, and even when he turned out to actually be as toxic as everyone else, but the vacillating between the two really rubs me the wrong way.

Especially because it feels like he's being set up to replace Mallory for any potential post-Jessica Walter seasons, which I would rather he did not.

Cyril is probably the logical choice to actually fill the shoes. That or they just join another crew every season and like the coma seasons every season is new wacky stuff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The thing with Robert is he's not inherently funny while nearly every thing Mallory says is hilarious. I guess they could make him a better straight man if that was the plan. I'll miss Mallory a lot.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I want to hit Robert with a pan and shove him off the back of a boat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

I want to hit Robert with a pan and shove him off the back of a boat.

:same: and I can’t tell if it’s because the character is crappy or because Stephen Tobolowsky plays that kind of guy perfectly.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think the season was written and the audio recorded well before Jessica's passing, so I don't think this is intentionally so.

(And I would not like that either.)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Not a bad idea to have a plan in case your 80+ year old voice actor ends up with a problem where they can't work anymore or what happened and dies.

Not too uncommon to have a plan for a cast death when you have older actors. Killing the character off may have even been a plan, It seems like the next step in Archer's character progression, he's now lost everyone he actually cared about.

Well she needs to die in show but you can't find a new voice actor for that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I love this show but I genuinely don't know if I would bother coming back for future seasons without Jessica Walter. The amount of heavy lifting the show would have to do to fill that hole just doesn't seem worth the effort.