Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zzulu posted:

I'll watch the movie with the sharkman ripping people in half, why not

The shark guy is what sold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Dramatic moments cut off with stupid one liners in the trailer. God drat am I tired of this poo poo. Feeling anything is trash.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2021

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
You gotta admire WB/DC's whole "let's try that again" approach.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I hate that trailer but the movie might okay if it's not so try-hard (literal cut to a spit take after a joke delivery? go gently caress yousrself).

I kind of miss original Suicide Squad days when DCEU was just a billion dollar trash fire rather than "oh yeah this is fine but not great".

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Eggnogium posted:

I hate that trailer but the movie might okay if it's not so try-hard (literal cut to a spit take after a joke delivery? go gently caress yousrself).

I kind of miss original Suicide Squad days when DCEU was just a billion dollar trash fire rather than "oh yeah this is fine but not great".

yeah. the Snyder Cut made me realize that superhero movies can now only be unintentionally funny. I like James Gunn but this goof-em-up template is getting really old

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

yeah. the Snyder Cut made me realize that superhero movies can now only be unintentionally funny. I like James Gunn but this goof-em-up template is getting really old

I think we will have to see when it is released. I think the jokes were pretty solid, just that the editing in the trailer made some of them feel stilted. Maybe they are still tweaking the pacing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is the Snyder cut worth watching

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

kiimo posted:

yes, just take three nights to do it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I like James Gunn but this goof-em-up template is getting really old

Remember when Gunn was upset that Scorsese said cape poo poo wasn't cinema, and then the trailer for his new cape poo poo movie features a "bag of dicks" joke. Lol.

kiimo posted:

Absolutely. It's broken up into parts, so you can pause and take a break if you need to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

Legitimately good advice.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

Remember when Gunn was upset that Scorsese said cape poo poo wasn't cinema, and then the trailer for his new cape poo poo movie features a "bag of dicks" joke. Lol.

Absolutely. It's broken up into parts, so you can pause and take a break if you need to.

The end of chapter 3 is right around 2 hours in and a pretty good halfway point to break up the film in two if you don’t want to do the whole 4 hours in one go.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Also there is 5 minute sequence at the end that feels like 19 hours so you may want to watch that bit in a separate viewing with a wooden rod to bite down on when the cringe levels get to high to handle.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

Movie looks great, glad Marvel and DC get to share Gunn. I never would have guessed this would be the career path for the guy who wrote Tromeo & Juliet and made Slither.

Wait wait wait.

Gunn wrote Tromeo and Juliet?

I loved that film. It’s so bad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

kiimo posted:

It's an ok movie. Nothing insulting or extremely bad like some people are saying. And I'm someone who hated BvS, never watched the first LJ and is still annoyed with the Snyder hashtags and the weird obsessive fans.

It took me all day to finished it lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He also partially wrote Troma's Terror Firmer

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Tromeo and Juliet is great and it has what is to me the single most memorable line of dialogue out of any Troma movie. "They found a peanut all right, honey. They found a peanut of death!" pops into my head every now and then and I've only seen the movie once like 20 years ago

Gunn was also a writer on the Suda 51 video game Lollipop Chainsaw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is this SQ related to the last one?

I generally don't like superhero movies (I'm not anti-comic or anything and there are some I enjoy, but now it just feels like rubber stamped commodities), but that looked totally fun to me and WAY more enjoyable than whatever the last SQ movie was.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BonoMan posted:

Is this SQ related to the last one?

I generally don't like superhero movies (I'm not anti-comic or anything and there are some I enjoy, but now it just feels like rubber stamped commodities), but that looked totally fun to me and WAY more enjoyable than whatever the last SQ movie was.

Seems like a very loose sequel. Has like four of the same characters played by the same actors, but I doubt you'd need to watch it to add anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Dick jokes are cinema.

And it’s fair and valid for someone to get hurt when someone calls your work not cinema.

It’s dumb for randos to get all shorty about it though when it has nothing to to with them

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Dick jokes are cinema.

I guess it depends on who is delivering the dick joke, and the context of said dick joke.

quote:

And it’s fair and valid for someone to get hurt when someone calls your work not cinema.

It's an argument of semantics and nothing to get upset over imo. Which is why I personally find it funny.

quote:

It’s dumb for randos to get all shorty about it though when it has nothing to to with them

I like to revel in silly, meaningless schadenfreude.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LesterGroans posted:

Seems like a very loose sequel. Has like four of the same characters played by the same actors, but I doubt you'd need to watch it to add anything.

It's some sort of a soft reboot.

By some reason they are trying to save the movie after the last fiasco. I have no problem with it, I wanna see if James Gunn can make it work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I'm excited for it because its a rated R James Gunn super hero film, which is going to be super gory.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/fallwestmike/status/1375610911667412995

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

I liked the original, and this looks like more of the same (but better).

Looking forward to this. That said, I can see why it wouldn't appeal to people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

The shark guy is what sold me.

Shark guy's VA is Stallone which is :discourse:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gonna have to assume all of Stallone's shark guy lines are just recordings of him in a normal day recorded without his knowledge.
He definitely just sometimes randomly goes "HAND :)"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They've been on an upward trend in terms of quality, after a really, really rough and botched start.

I just hope this means we'll eventually get a Secret Six adaptation with Matt Damon as Catman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

Dont watch the last 10 minutes, ie the epilogue. But its alright and has some good moments/ideas esp regarding Cyborg

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vagabundo posted:

They've been on an upward trend in terms of quality, after a really, really rough and botched start.

With the glaring exception of WW84, yes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

I laughed at the bag of dicks/dicks on the beach joke because I'm trash.

Me too friend, me too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Me too friend, me too.

Let us wallow in our filth.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I understand folks that aren't into the action-comedy tone a lot of comic movies have adopted, but I'm not sure I understand anyone who expected different from a James Gunn movie featuring Harley Quinn.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I was ambivalent about the 1st Suicide Squad, loved Birds of Prey, and the giant Starro reveal at the end of the trailer has me all in.

And excepting the exceedingly strange epilogue, I really like the Snyder cut. He removed all the poo poo Whedon added that made zero sense, especially all the quirky "jokes" and greatly expanded character backstory stuff. Still could have probably used a heavier razor in the edits and dropped it down to about 3-ish hours.

Vagabundo posted:

Agreed

thrawn527 posted:

With the glaring exception of WW84, yes.
Very hard agree

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

teagone posted:

I think Cena and Melchior(?)’s delivery really sells it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I understand folks that aren't into the action-comedy tone a lot of comic movies have adopted, but I'm not sure I understand anyone who expected different from a James Gunn movie featuring Harley Quinn.

I think people are wary because the Josh Whedon style of "comedy" the Marvels have adopted is poo poo. Probably why Guardians and Thor 3 stand out because they were helmed by funny guys. I'll definitely be giving this a shot since it looks like they let Gunn make a DC Guardians flick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

DC Guardians flick.

I'm pretty sure they attempted to brute force the original Suicide Squad film into a Guardians shaped mould when they got that trailer firm to re-edit the entire thing, this time they're being way more upfront about it. :v:

teagone posted:

AceOfFlames posted:

I think Cena and Melchior(?)’s delivery really sells it.

Good news, they're currently filming an entire HBO Max spinoff series about Cena's character. James Gunn spent a big chunk of his pandemic downtime writing it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacemaker_(TV_series)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 28, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not only that but he shot all of it too.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I would watch a show about a guy that would do literally anything for liberty and peace, even eating a beach full of dicks.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Good news, they're currently filming an entire HBO Max spinoff series about Cena's character. James Gunn spent a big chunk of his pandemic downtime writing it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacemaker_(TV_series)

Well now we know for sure Cena is going to be one of the first to die in the movie.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

AceOfFlames posted:

Well now we know for sure Cena is going to be one of the first to die in the movie.

"While completing work on The Suicide Squad (2021) in August 2020, during lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, writer and director James Gunn began writing a spin-off television series centered on the origins of the character Peacemaker, portrayed by John Cena in the film."

So who knows? But the trailer makes it look like he's part of the A squad, the main players of the movie. I imagine everybody in the B squad dies within the first 20 minutes of the movie, except for Joel Kinnaman's character.