Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shamino posted:

No car purchases make financial sense outside of like a 15 year old toyota tacoma or 10-15 year old prius, both with 200k+ miles on them where the value really can't go any lower because it's absolutely bottomed out. It also doesn't make financial sense to buy movies, eat steak, drink beer or go on vacations. Everyone has something they enjoy and all spending shouldn't be looked at through a purely utilitarian lens. I'm not saying to load yourself up with debt to have a fancy car but don't live on lentils and dumpster finds either.

The Toyota Echo I bought new for $12.5k in 2000 worked out, with no major issues in 268k miles,. I only sold it because I had a LA commute and decided to lease a EV. If only Toyota made a BEV version of a Prius.

Downsized out of that in Feb., once production completed on the game I was producing. But all good.

<DUMB TYPO>

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

The Toyota Echo I bought new for $12.5k in 2020 worked out, with no major issues in 268k miles,. I only sold it because I had a LA commute and decided to lease a EV. If only Toyota made a BEV version of a Prius.

Downsized out of that in Feb., once production completed on the game I was producing. But all good.

How the hell do you put 268k miles on a car in one year?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m guessing he meant to type 2000, especially since the Echo hasn’t been sold here since 2005.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah they meant 2000. There have been at least 2 super high mileage Echoes in AI, haven't there?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People try to do an apples-to-apples comparison in a vacuum and as you said it's very difficult to do so. Obviously buying a used car is best with money, but you've already decided to buy a new car. The best point of origination is "do I think I'm likely to want a new car in five years or fewer" and if the answer is yes, you should probably lease assuming you can get the money factors and deals to line up. If you think not, then you should look to buy outright.

Plus to maximize value on an owned car you basically have to do a private party sale which is a loving incredible pain in the rear end compared to a lease turn-in and transfer. I like buying and selling cars but there's something to be said for outright simplicity.

For disclosure I drive an 11 year old Toyota Prius. If I keep this car it will probably "live" another 10 years for very little cash. My yearly maintenance on the Prius is a couple hundred bucks, I fill it with gas maybe once or twice a month for 30-40 dollars tops. I had a serious crash at one point and to replace the entire front end was less than six thousand dollars (covered by insurance). My wife drives an XC90 that we lease. When our family was smaller she leased an XC60. I originally was against it because it seemed like wasted cash but honestly it hasn't been at all. This was the first year I thought there was nothing new to be gained by getting a new XC90 and so maybe we would just pay cash out for it, but then you look and there are all kinds of improvements. Family life changes. This is best case scenario, what if you got a lemon! I definitely think leases are just another tool. If the car is trouble free and you don't wreck it and you keep it for six years the buying route will seem smart.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd say that safety is not really a reason to get a new car every 2-3 years at this point. Leasing also requires you to know pretty much exactly how your next 3 years (or whatever period) will look like, both financially and miles wise. I did the math on my car and it's already way cheaper per month than if I had leased it. I put all the monthly costs (service, depreciation, tyres, future inspections, insurance) into an index fund while the money "waits" to be spent (I try to pay for things yearly). I didn't factor the "opportunity cost" of the money I used to pay cash for the car, but meh. Don't need the money for years anyway and at this point in time the car is still worth more than I ended up paying for it due to incentives and great trade in deals.
Another important thing is that it's a KIA, so I have 7 years and/or 150000km full warranty. I wouldn't do this if it was something with poo poo warranty.
Still not a 100% apples to apples comparison due to not including potential profit from having the money still in index funds, but even then it'd be cheaper per month. The big thing in all of this is that I'll still have a car at the end of it, which I wouldn't with a lease.

I also hate being tied to monthly bills and having less liquidity.

All that being said, I'd probably lease EV's due to the reasons given above - reliability and the tech moving fast.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Shamino posted:

I'm not saying to load yourself up with debt to have a fancy car but don't live on lentils and dumpster finds either.

I keep checking the dumpsters for Nissan leafs, hoping to get lucky one day soon.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd say that safety is not really a reason to get a new car every 2-3 years at this point. Leasing also requires you to know pretty much exactly how your next 3 years (or whatever period) will look like, both financially and miles wise. I did the math on my car and it's already way cheaper per month than if I had leased it. I put all the monthly costs (service, depreciation, tyres, future inspections, insurance) into an index fund while the money "waits" to be spent (I try to pay for things yearly).

How do you "spend" the depreciation? Like, you're putting money into an index fund to counteract depreciation and then counting the return on that money as a pro for purchasing vs leasing? I don't think that makes a lot of logical sense.

quote:

I didn't factor the "opportunity cost" of the money I used to pay cash for the car, but meh.

Yeah ignoring one of the major factors does tend to skew the numbers one way or the other.

quote:

at this point in time the car is still worth more than I ended up paying for it due to incentives and great trade in deals.

This is very unlikely, even given the current automotive price climate. And the thing about that price climate is that it's occurring at the same time as greater than normal lost opportunity costs, e.g. I just checked and my one year Vanguard rate of return is 44.6%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrOnBicycle posted:

The big thing in all of this is that I'll still have a car at the end of it, which I wouldn't with a lease.

I also hate being tied to monthly bills and having less liquidity.

All that being said, I'd probably lease EV's due to the reasons given above - reliability and the tech moving fast.

Plenty of psychological reasons to not lease a car for sure, and not saying it's inherently a good idea, it's just that when it comes to new cars leasing can be a better financial decision. I'm a bit confused about the statement that a a lease give you less liquidity. How does that work? You paid cash for a new car, you absolutely hosed up your liquidity.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Murder suspects caught after failing to carjack a Tesla. They couldn't figure out how to get it in drive. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...7o5y-story.html

Least surprising line of the article:

quote:

One minute later, Hudson approached and pointed a firearm at a Tesla owner, who was showing his car off to a friend.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Stop that poo poo right now, it's been around for years and your friend obviously has seen it on youtube before. Now tell me where the taxis are."

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Trying to carjack a Tesla is all kinds of stupid. The guy with the phone key in his pocket just runs away so it can't be put in drive, there are recording cameras everywhere and even if you did drive it away the owner can just sit there showing the police where it is on a map all the time so they could just wait till you stop somewhere and then swarm in and arrest you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Trying to carjack a Tesla is all kinds of stupid. The guy with the phone key in his pocket just runs away so it can't be put in drive, there are recording cameras everywhere and even if you did drive it away the owner can just sit there showing the police where it is on a map all the time so they could just wait till you stop somewhere and then swarm in and arrest you.

True, but I would say going to murder someone over a rap song while bringing your 6-year old along is even more stupid.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Plenty of psychological reasons to not lease a car for sure, and not saying it's inherently a good idea, it's just that when it comes to new cars leasing can be a better financial decision. I'm a bit confused about the statement that a a lease give you less liquidity. How does that work? You paid cash for a new car, you absolutely hosed up your liquidity.

bird with big dick posted:

How do you "spend" the depreciation? Like, you're putting money into an index fund to counteract depreciation and then counting the return on that money as a pro for purchasing vs leasing? I don't think that makes a lot of logical sense.

Yeah ignoring one of the major factors does tend to skew the numbers one way or the other.

This is very unlikely, even given the current automotive price climate. And the thing about that price climate is that it's occurring at the same time as greater than normal lost opportunity costs, e.g. I just checked and my one year Vanguard rate of return is 44.6%.
Monthly liquidity really. My rationale is that since I don't have any immediate need for money (long term goal is buying a house, and I already have a savings goal for that which we are on target for) and the fact that buying the car is cheaper at the end of what would be a lease period of 3 years while I still have a car in the end was hard to argue with. Maybe lease deals are much better in the US, but for the cost that the miles I was doing combined with the fact that I don't know if I have to commute <15000km a year or 25000-30000km a year yet I couldn't justify going with a more expensive option and locking myself into a certain amount of km. The main reason is that I haven't really decided where I want to work, or what speciality I want to go into (and where).
Worst case, I pay $35 parking a month and $450 insurance and $40 tax a year as fixed costs.

Like I said before, it's a situational thing where I wouldn't have done it if I didn't find myself in these particular circumstances. :)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This is potentially interesting. Like I don’t think anyone will likely be able to duplicate these numbers but even coming close could be a pretty great deal.

I actually qualify for nearly the exact same incentives as he got (only $250 less for me) so it’d all come down to the MSRP of the vehicle and how much I could negotiate off it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

How does the EVSE tax credit in the US work? I know it's 30% up to $1,000, is that up to $300, or up to $1,000 on a $3333 install?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

borkencode posted:

How the hell do you put 268k miles on a car in one year?

2000 ...typo

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

How does the EVSE tax credit in the US work? I know it's 30% up to $1,000, is that up to $300, or up to $1,000 on a $3333 install?

It’s 33% with a max of $1,000 in return so the latter.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

This is potentially interesting. Like I don’t think anyone will likely be able to duplicate these numbers but even coming close could be a pretty great deal.

I actually qualify for nearly the exact same incentives as he got (only $250 less for me) so it’d all come down to the MSRP of the vehicle and how much I could negotiate off it.

If you go through a broker it's definitely repeatable. That's what I did and it's sitting in my driveway now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TwoDice posted:

If you go through a broker it's definitely repeatable. That's what I did and it's sitting in my driveway now.

You got one for under $400 including tax? Someone in that thread said he couldn’t even repeat it at the same dealership. Right now my local dealerships lowest MSRP e tron is still 4K more than the example so the best id likely be able to do is get close but the dealerships here are so lovely I don’t see getting the ~13% discount off MSRP that he got.

I was looking at Mach e GT and Performance model Ys but for ~$400 this could push me into the Audi.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

You got one for under $400 including tax? Someone in that thread said he couldn’t even repeat it at the same dealership. Right now my local dealerships lowest MSRP e tron is still 4K more than the example so the best id likely be able to do is get close but the dealerships here are so lovely I don’t see getting the ~13% discount off MSRP that he got.

I was looking at Mach e GT and Performance model Ys but for ~$400 this could push me into the Audi.

I didn't want the lowest trim level, so it's not exactly the same lease, but here: leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Audi&miles=7500&msd=10&msrp=77515&sales_price=69764&months=36&mf=.00074&dp=0&dealer_fee=500&acq_fee=995&taxed_inc=15750&untaxed_inc=0&rebate=0&resP=50®_fee=500&sales_tax=6.25&demo_mileage=0&memo=&acqFee_check=true&monthlyTax_radio=true&cap_tax=true&bmw_demo_25=true

It was a way better deal than I could find on a Mach E or Model Y.

stealth edit: pasted the wrong link

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Looking at brokers on leasehackr it seems like they can't do out of state deals for Audi which sucks because I'm only 3 hours from the Bay but I'm in NV.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Looking at brokers on leasehackr it seems like they can't do out of state deals for Audi which sucks because I'm only 3 hours from the Bay but I'm in NV.

I got mine shipped from out of state. but I'm on the east coast.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, I think those base ones don't even have adaptive cruise which is nuts, yours is probably equipped the way I'd want one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TwoDice posted:

I got mine shipped from out of state. but I'm on the east coast.

That's good to know it's at least possible, I'll keep digging around.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261921001562?via%3Dihub
Saw this in my news flow. Way too tired to read it now, but seems interesting.

Edit:
VVV: From the motoring tests that I've read, the KIA vehicles are pretty much the one of the best case scenarios when it comes to PHEV range and accurate fuel efficiency. Helps their argument, but also makes what they base their argument more accurate. I gotta read the whole article when I'm not dead in the head, as they brind up some interesting points and problems. Just from reading a small part of it, improving fast charging is probably a much better way to go than to make bigger batteries. I mean if you could charge your battery as quickly as you fill up your car with gas, I doubt anyone would care if you couldn't go ages between charging. Especially if, as they state, most people don't come close to using their whole battery during their commutes.
Anyway, just glanced through some of the pararaphs.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 29, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261921001562?via%3Dihub
Saw this in my news flow. Way too tired to read it now, but seems interesting.

Interesting that they used the Kia Niro as the test case (clever).

I didn’t see the carbon contribution for creating the biofuels.

In the USA ethanol is based on corn and uses quite a bit of energy to produce and distill.

Brazil is a different story, due to sugar cane,.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

Brazil is a different story, due to sugar cane,.

And mast deforestation.

If we have to use bio fuels, we should burn that energy in power plants but definitely not in passenger vehicles since a big plant tends to be a lot more efficient than a tiny one just for a car.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

And mast deforestation.

If we have to use bio fuels, we should burn that energy in power plants but definitely not in passenger vehicles since a big plant tends to be a lot more efficient than a tiny one just for a car.

Yep, that report really omits a bunch of side effects and the carbon numbers for biofuels are basically a fiction.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjp793/us-electric-vehicle-charging-station-network-tes

Vice, but a good read

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

quote:

Voltswagen
:imunfunny:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The things they link as a CCS to Chademo converter is actually a DC fast charger for cars with 3.3kw onboard chargers, but a DC port of some kind. It would be nice to know if it's possible to make a CCS to Chademo adapter though.

edit:
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger/
This thing for reference

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

If I start going on long trips I may buy the adaptor to use the Tesla Level 2 stuff in an emergency. The adaptor is about $150.00

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

If I start going on long trips I may buy the adaptor to use the Tesla Level 2 stuff in an emergency. The adaptor is about $150.00

I'll definitely spring on the TeslaTap myself if I decide to swap my Model 3 Performance for an R1T. There's a lot more hotels with Tesla destination chargers than the alternatives.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 6, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Ugh that vice article. I hate not being able to tell these guys that Rivian does have plans to open their network. It just takes time to vet all the other manufactures cars. :smith:

What plugs?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Standard CCS

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Standard CCS

My Kia thanks you ... and then the vans become available I am game to convert into a RV.,

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
:shh: don't get yourself in trouble somehow. But it's awesome to hear that