Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I do wish they hadn’t gone the Hatoful route by using incredibly realistic close ups of bugs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Maybe they're bringing the franchise into the 3rd dimension with a first person view.

Aspid Prime :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's a VN dating sim and I just maxed out Zote's boner

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I started playing Ori and the Blind Forest: The Willow of the Wisp because I was so sick of waiting for any small morsel of information about which year this game is going to come out. It's pretty good.

Of course, one reason it's good is because they ripped off some of the things Hollow Knight did. One thing they learned from HK, which I really hope Silksong also learns, is they don't leave it until an age has passed before you have most of your core abilities. I'm only a couple of hours in and I already have a ranged attack, wall-climb, a double jump, a dash (which also serves as a triple jump), an ability that breaks fragile ground, and the propel-yourslf-from-any-projectile ability. I'm already moving around like a mid-late game Hollow Knight main character whatever his name is. In HK this takes many hours and I bet is the reason a lot of people that would otherwise have enjoyed the game bounced off it in the first few hours. I did the first time I played it.

Well that's my story. Knowing my luck I'll finish the game and be done with 2d metroidvania games for a while and that's exactly when Team Cherry will hit with the announcement that Silksong is coming out in 2 weeks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey I don't know how relevant this is for the thread but I've started a playthrough of the game completely blind up on the LP forum and figured people might be interested?

I'm enjoying it so far even though it's completely apparent from the first hour of the game that it really isn't a game for me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well good job dude! I figured by "it really isn't a game for me" you'd mean you were getting your face stomped over and over for the first hour but you're extremely good at it for a first timer. Having a buddy there to decide exactly how much to tell you is a pretty cool format for a blind LP.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I'm enjoying it so far even though it's completely apparent from the first hour of the game that it really isn't a game for me.

You are knocking it out of the park! If you're not having fun with the game, that's one thing, but there's a lot to explore and I think you will have a good time with it. Well, some of, some of it is extremely spoopy :ohdear:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cactus posted:

I'm already moving around like a mid-late game Hollow Knight main character whatever his name is.

it's hollow knight, op. they're all hollow knights

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Cactus posted:

I started playing Ori and the Blind Forest: The Willow of the Wisp because I was so sick of waiting for any small morsel of information about which year this game is going to come out. It's pretty good.
You played the first one too right? I felt like the sequel was easier then the original but I played Ori and the Blind Forest, then Hollow Knight and Celeste and then Ori and the Will of the Wisps so I might just be better at platforming.

If people haven't played the Ori games they are beautiful and melancholy and fun but definitely not as difficult as Hollow Knight. Worth a playthrough for sure.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I played the first one but stopped about a third to halfway through

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Martman posted:

Well good job dude! I figured by "it really isn't a game for me" you'd mean you were getting your face stomped over and over for the first hour but you're extremely good at it for a first timer. Having a buddy there to decide exactly how much to tell you is a pretty cool format for a blind LP.

It's a lot of fun. The difficulty is absolutely fine but the whole loneliness and not knowing where to go basically has me at peak anxiety the entire time I'm playing. If it weren't for the format I would have quit out a while back.

That's not to say that it's bad of course, as I said, I'm having lots of fun! But I just don't deal with being alone in games very well.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

It's a lot of fun. The difficulty is absolutely fine but the whole loneliness and not knowing where to go basically has me at peak anxiety the entire time I'm playing. If it weren't for the format I would have quit out a while back.

That's not to say that it's bad of course, as I said, I'm having lots of fun! But I just don't deal with being alone in games very well.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a blind LP do the whole of hallownest and half of Greenpath with a detour down to Queens Station (edit: AND Hornet lol) without dying not even once. Well done! I like the way you always heal after every encounter, people who don't do that make my teeth itch the same way FPS players do when they run around gun half-empty and don't reload.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kinda surprised no one mentioned the surprise release yesterday. Ho hum.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Kinda surprised no one mentioned the surprise release yesterday. Ho hum.
We were too busy mourning Mario's death dude, read the room!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i just noticed this thread is over 2 years old now

maybe a little premature

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

repiv posted:

i just noticed this thread is over 2 years old now

maybe a little premature

Well, at the time, Silksong talk was taking over the Hollow Knight thread.

Nowadays I guess this is the Hollow Knight thread. When it actually releases we're clearly going to need a new, dedicated thread.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
This thread is very confusing, I only just realized that's it's all an elaborate April fools joke pretending that silksong isn't out already.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Hey I don't know how relevant this is for the thread but I've started a playthrough of the game completely blind up on the LP forum and figured people might be interested?
wtf this MFer beat Hornet on the first try

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well at least we're getting Hollow Knight: Fyremoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdAiCJ0q7nU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cactus posted:

it might just be a reskin but those are some very impressive sprites

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cactus posted:

Well, its a solid excuse to replay the game. And maybe it'll make me remember Abyssal Shriek exists.

(For some reason games like Hollow Knight and Mega Man X, I get so comfortable with using the basic attack that I basically don't end up incorporating special weapons into my moveset)

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Cactus posted:

I thought this was at least some HK clone game that would help pass the time

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s almost identical to Hollow Knight...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, its a solid excuse to replay the game. And maybe it'll make me remember Abyssal Shriek exists.

(For some reason games like Hollow Knight and Mega Man X, I get so comfortable with using the basic attack that I basically don't end up incorporating special weapons into my moveset)

Same. It wasn’t until I started watching speedruns that I started working spells into the fights.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm the same, I suffer from the if it isn't taught to me in the first few hours of the game, I'll forget it ever exists syndrome. I got through most of Hollow Knight barely remembering I had spells (except the hadoken, because that was taught to me at the beginning) and Nail Arts? What are those?

That's one of the things I've liked about Ori and the Will o the Wips, you get taught (I'm assuming) most of your core abilities at the very start, or within a few hours of starting. If it throws something at me at the twelve hour mark I'll likely forget all about it and never use it.

Edit: I booted up Hollow Knight this afternoon while I was waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 to update, just to kill time. I had a save file where I'd Beelined through Deepnest to get the tram pass so I loaded it up and started playing. I decided to put dashmaster on for speed and go get the dream nail. Suddenly everytime I dashed I got this weird rocket-bang noise. I puzzled about this for a bit and wondered about for a bit, bang-dashing around.

Anyway I couldn't ignore it anymore so I alt-tabbed to find out wtf and discovered that red dead had opened after updating and every time I pressed the Rtrigger to dash, Arthur was shooting his loving gun.

Anyway Hollow Knight is a better game than Ori because I wanna carry on playing it now but opening Ori is just filling me with a feeling of meh, even though Ori does that one thing better, Hollow Knight does everything else better.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 4, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1lCAI0iII

drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD8V4HBo-ZA

Cactus posted:

Anyway I couldn't ignore it anymore so I alt-tabbed to find out wtf and discovered that red dead had opened after updating and every time I pressed the Rtrigger to dash, Arthur was shooting his loving gun.

:allears:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 5, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cactus posted:

Edit: I booted up Hollow Knight this afternoon while I was waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 to update, just to kill time. I had a save file where I'd Beelined through Deepnest to get the tram pass so I loaded it up and started playing. I decided to put dashmaster on for speed and go get the dream nail. Suddenly everytime I dashed I got this weird rocket-bang noise. I puzzled about this for a bit and wondered about for a bit, bang-dashing around.

Lol

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

this is all so ridiculous why would anyone?

Not even drunk.

not even drunk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anybody want more Path of Pain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Gpq1KgH3c

The mod community is pretty wild

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1382000636363956229?s=20

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Surely this will be the one

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Foehammer posted:

Yeah, they're definitely going to show Elden Ring this time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HMS Beagle posted:

Yeah, they're definitely going to show Elden Ring this time.

lol if Elden loving Ring drops before this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They better show Sports Story. That was supposed to be out almost a year ago.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody want more Path of Pain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Gpq1KgH3c

The mod community is pretty wild

Nope

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Foehammer posted:

I hope so, although with Hollow Knight having sold several million copies and having been recognized as a top-tier game its sequel wouldn't be undeserving of attention in a regular Direct. But I guess they save that royal treatment for first-party games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Foehammer posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

womp womp