Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Silver2195 posted:

Tatsuya Ishida of Sinfest?

Yeah, that weird rear end in a top hat. Sorry forgot the name.

Kavros posted:

Ishida became psychologically and ideologically bizarre in equal measure as he fell into insular, neurotic oldschool radfem TERF worlds. The end product is a weird, paranoid, pointless haze. His product now only occasionally flirts with comprehensibility, even while desperately trying to be a political missive. I took a look at it recently but it's so far gone that it was like he was trying to individually prove horseshoe theory by cracking totally and becoming a gender essentialist reactionary defending mr potato head and dr. seuss from the Woke Mob.

I mean yeah. When you go far enough in the weird vague areas of politics. The two extremes meet. poo poo like new age has lots of overlap of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

The Cerebus the Aardvark guy. He became a crazy misogynist.

Tbf he was a misogynist the whole time, it’s just easier to ignore for the first several volumes before he gets into the hardcore “woman is the void that devours male light” stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375592444625104897

can i post some michael tracey on here because holy gently caress have a look at this doozy.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

can i post some michael tracey on here because holy gently caress have a look at this doozy.

I literally thought he must have been quoting someone else. Holy poo poo

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fart Amplifier posted:

I literally thought he must have been quoting someone else. Holy poo poo

Michael Tracey has been extremely fa for a very long time

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Indeed, because of marriage equality I'm seeing men marry penguins and also their brothers. Many people are saying this!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/shvartacus/status/1096871228390789120?s=21

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

Indeed, because of marriage equality I'm seeing men marry penguins and also their brothers. Many people are saying this!

Yeah. I for one want to marry my frogs. It’s consensual because they make mating calls at me. This is clearly the next big thing LGBTQ folks want. Tracey is such a clever man to see it. https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375615719317110789 Have some more. https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375804438670098442 https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375527751764082699

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 27, 2021

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Lesbian Bi Gay Toad/frog

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Radical gender identity fundamentalists are the biggest threat to white men with 6/7 figure incomes from Substack and it's a disgrace the liberal media won't talk about this problem

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Also, he's wrong on the timeline. I feel like society itself is being gaslit by these takes. The first gender affirming surgeries were developed in the 50's. And while trans people have always been subject to violence from the state and individuals, the explicit legal push to do things like codify bathroom use to assigned birth gender is recent, as in post Obergefell v. Hodges. The things that trans people are currently fighting actually represent an increased attack on their rights from the inadequate place they already existed.

I said before that gay marriage was a conservative compromise position of the American gay rights movement, one that effectively rewrote history so that the more radical demands of the early movement were erased in favour of the more assimilationist, bourgeois motivations it has now. The same is happening in realtime with trans rights, where the backlash to gay marriage against the even more marginalized is being spun as them demanding more, even if a lot of this stuff (like a trans woman using a women's restroom) was literally not even articulated as a concern in the culture 15 years ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Lesbian Bi Gay Toad/frog

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1265426502398685184

i am a good landlord.

Beelzebufo posted:

Also, he's wrong on the timeline. I feel like society itself is being gaslit by these takes. The first gender affirming surgeries were developed in the 50's. And while trans people have always been subject to violence from the state and individuals, the explicit legal push to do things like codify bathroom use to assigned birth gender is recent, as in post Obergefell v. Hodges. The things that trans people are currently fighting actually represent an increased attack on their rights from the inadequate place they already existed.

I said before that gay marriage was a conservative compromise position of the American gay rights movement, one that effectively rewrote history so that the more radical demands of the early movement were erased in favour of the more assimilationist, bourgeois motivations it has now. The same is happening in realtime with trans rights, where the backlash to gay marriage against the even more marginalized is being spun as them demanding more, even if a lot of this stuff (like a trans woman using a women's restroom) was literally not even articulated as a concern in the culture 15 years ago.

also i am pretty sure gender affirming surgeries were in Weimar Germany or at least alot of the original ideas and science of it were from there and a little earlier. but i am not an expert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery#History

wiki says 1917 was the first primitive one and 1931 was the first full one. gillis in 1951 made the first "standard" one.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2021

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Beelzebufo posted:

Well, I think that this is because the "LGBTQ people keep demanding more!" line is a dog whistle of sorts. They say that but what they're actually mad about is that LGBTQ people are much more noticeable and more accepted by society at large. Noticing LGBTQ people, or minorities, or really anyone different from themselves makes them deeply uncomfortable, so this is just a way of saying "Get back in the closet!"

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

It’s just a repackaging of the old anti-gay marriage chestnut, “gay people have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex as straight people do!”

When you see rights that you yourself will never need to exercise as being “special” rights for the people who will, it’s easy to see every minority group as demanding extra rights.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

letthereberock posted:

It’s just a repackaging of the old anti-gay marriage chestnut, “gay people have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex as straight people do!”

When you see rights that you yourself will never need to exercise as being “special” rights for the people who will, it’s easy to see every minority group as demanding extra rights.

It's amazing to me, because even if they were "extra rights", it doesn't change anything for anyone else. Yet all the time I hear whining and complaining about how "they're going to force us to learn pronouns" and "where's my free speech" (in the context of wanting to be openly bigoted), etc.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Does Tracey actually do anything other than be a supporting character on twitter every fortnight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Does Tracey actually do anything other than be a supporting character on twitter every fortnight.
What does your heart tell you

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Wow, that’s really pathetic when you put it that way.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, I think that this is because the "LGBTQ people keep demanding more!" line is a dog whistle of sorts. They say that but what they're actually mad about is that LGBTQ people are much more noticeable and more accepted by society at large. Noticing LGBTQ people, or minorities, or really anyone different from themselves makes them deeply uncomfortable, so this is just a way of saying "Get back in the closet!"

Plus, a good portion of the people still complaining about gay rights are operating off of an older "script", one that portrays queer people as leering pedophiles that absolutely salivate at the idea of getting their hands on and "recruiting" Our Precious Children. Like, they think that's the end goal for the whole LGBT rights movement. They realize that going loud and outright accusing people of being pedophiles will get people mad at them, though, so they merely hint at it. "They keep demanding more and more, when will it end!?" usually has the unspoken implication of "they're going be allowed to gently caress our kids".

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
this thread has been nice to read regarding greenwald but im still concerned that matt taibbi's being suggests that youre unlucky maybe at 50 your brain just turns into a rock and you are cursed to be a reactionary shithead

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tbh i think it's no coincidence that all these guys turned reactionary after they got rich

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

eke out posted:

tbh i think it's no coincidence that all these guys turned reactionary after they got rich

What makes you think they turned reactionary and weren't always like this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Verviticus posted:

this thread has been nice to read regarding greenwald but im still concerned that matt taibbi's being suggests that youre unlucky maybe at 50 your brain just turns into a rock and you are cursed to be a reactionary shithead

I think he just stared into the abyss and his brain cracked hard.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Verviticus posted:

Ehhh, my 68 year old mother supports LGBTQ rights, and yes, that fully includes the T part. Some people are just jerks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, my 68 year old mother supports LGBTQ rights, and yes, that fully includes the T part. Some people are just jerks.

Same with my parents. I'm sick of people making excuses for assholes. Some people are just willfully loving mean and stupid, it's a conscious choice they made, and it's not dementia or lead poisoning or being old or anything else that "causes" them to be assholes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So do my parents. Your mom and my folks are good people.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Verviticus posted:

My bioethics teacher was one of the leading prenatal/postnatal surgeons in the country, really freaking rich, though he dressed like a bum and took the subway to campus. He was 74, loved teaching us and taking part of the overnight study sessions we had at the university before finals answering dumb questions by first-year students. Absurdly open-minded and accepting of concepts and changes that people half his age still his stumbling blocks with. He passed from Covid a couple of months ago because he just couldn't imagine not working when the demand for professionals was at its peak.

I think being old makes you a jerk when you realize you didn't get what you wanted in life and start looking for people and things to blame. Taibbi may be making bank, but he wanted more. He knows now he's just Darksyde Phil for a different crowd of paying dorks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
A lot of people were jerks all along and over time the stories just start to come out and eventually eclipse whatever they did to make a name. I think that's vastly more common than people suddenly becoming dipshits in middle age. Similarly, if you have a 70 year old accepting, warm, thoughtful person, they probably largely already had those qualities 30 years previously, too

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Pretty much. My dad has always been great, but empty nest syndrome and the pandemic keeping him at home exposed to Facebook and reactionary news 7 days a week have had an effect, in conjunction with biases he had from long ago. It's not -bad- yet, but...I am afraid.

Also, last tidbit about my departed teacher. In the class about dealing with trans patients and those who identify asother genders, a student asked him if it didn't feel weird to call in for patient Mario Esteves to come into the consultory and "have a woman walk in and greet him". He just shrugged and said "I spent all my life being forced to call creepy priests Your Holiness and sellout judges Your Honor. I think this is way, way better in every aspect."

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I think a lot of these dudes were just the same type of predatory opportunists that infect other leftists movements. They like the acclaim and respect they earn by being the leader of the revolution or w/e, but as soon as the focus shifts beyond them or their comfort zones, they react angrily.

In particular with trans rights, I think a lot of wouldbe progressive men were able to accept the non-threatening narrative of gay and lesbian people as aspirationally straight, but still carry a lot of insecurity about destabilizing masculinity in particular.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 28, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

USA Today dropped an article about 1/6 insurrectionists crowd funding their legal defenses GG sent the mob after one of the three credited journalists - an intern getting her first published story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beelzebufo posted:

I think a lot of these dudes were just the same type of predatory opportunists that infect other leftists movements. They like the acclaim and respect they earn by being the leader of the revolution or w/e, but as soon as the focus shifts beyond them or their comfort zones, they react angrily.

In particular with trans rights, I think a lot of wouldbe progressive men were able to accept the non-threatening narrative of gay and lesbian people as aspirationally straight, but still carry a lot of insecurity about destabilizing masculinity in particular.

Something similar probably goes the same way with would-be progressive women, hence the whole white feminist-to-TERF pipeline. (and both at once with Male Feminists, see the Sinfest guy)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
An intern at USA Today published a story that made the chud-sphere, and since Glenn hates women he went ahead and joined in with his usual bullshit

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1376282005479038976?s=19

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Glenn Yelled at an Inter-

Oh it's been posted twice already.

Well in any case, what a colossal dickhead move. It's pretty rich too that he's trying to paint the insurrectionists as a group of poor and impoverished citizens needing to fundraise for their defenses because they were unfairly targeted with criminal charges. :jerkbag:

EDIT: some actual content. I was only vaguely familiar with Greenwald's defense of Matthew Hale and while I still stand by the idea that everyone deserves adequate and competent legal representation, I think Glenn might have taken it a bit further than he needed to the more I read about it. This thread was pretty :stare:

https://twitter.com/DavidNeiwert/status/1130534973902020608

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 29, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can't speak for Tracey, but GG has definitely always downplayed white supremacy in the US. It's really, really hard to ignore now but he just treats them like 'oh, boys will be boys'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The article doesn't even criticize any platforms, it's describing how these people are already breaking restrictions and having to either hop accounts or use budding sites dedicated to RW causes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Motto posted:

The article doesn't even criticize any platforms, it's describing how these people are already breaking restrictions and having to either hop accounts or use budding sites dedicated to RW causes.

You fool,, those EVIL JOURNALISTS are just SNITCHES going after those poor helpless people who never did anything wrong

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1376284987197112329?s=20
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1376286953541410817?s=20

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1376513999890694145?s=20

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1376577693425274888?s=20

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 29, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Glenn's bizarro-world takes on everything relating to the Capitol insurrection really highlight the weaknesses of trying to remotely cover the domestic affairs of a country you haven't set foot in for the better part of a decade. This dude "but actually"'d AOC describing her first-hand experience in the busing that day. Total loser poo poo. Zero insight.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"journalists hate the idea of normal people having access to lawyers" is definitely a totally normal, reasonable, not bad-faith take about the vast right-wing grift machine that raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for murderers in the guise of 'covering legal fees'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think a lot of pushback on his worse takes is something he concluded meant that ... people hate journalists