Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

i knew she was an ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Zerilan posted:

People taking power levels super seriously was hilarious from the start since they were kind of always just nonsense. The first real use of them (beyond like, farmer with shotgun: power level 5) was Raditz thinking his scanner was broken because of how strong child Gohan was, followed by Goku and Piccolo having their number go up by taking off their shoes and hat.

I like that the Nasuverse also had this whole powerlevel debate that Nasu settled by introducing ORT. "Uh, yeah, there's this alien thing from Mercury that landed in South America somewhere that just kinda chills in a sanctuary it made for itself but it's super strong and extremely dangerous and technically a vampire and also has no concept of death so it can't be killed by any of the ridiculous other bullshit that exists in this setting but it won't bother anyone unless they go gently caress with it or maybe it will some day idk but yeah it can beat absolutely everyone else in a fight at the same time if it felt like it eat my shorts"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kit Walker posted:

I like that the Nasuverse also had this whole powerlevel debate that Nasu settled by introducing ORT. "Uh, yeah, there's this alien thing from Mercury that landed in South America somewhere that just kinda chills in a sanctuary it made for itself but it's super strong and extremely dangerous and technically a vampire and also has no concept of death so it can't be killed by any of the ridiculous other bullshit that exists in this setting but it won't bother anyone unless they go gently caress with it or maybe it will some day idk but yeah it can beat absolutely everyone else in a fight at the same time if it felt like it eat my shorts"

One of my favorite things about the Nasuverse is how it lays out all these rules for how things operate and then just when you have a handle on it pulls out the rug from under you and then introduces something that violates every single one of those rules under extremely specific conditions.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
nasu kicks rear end

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kit Walker posted:

In the art book they say ORT is meant to be like an optional superboss in jrpgs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7v7UWCfntk
this is art

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

MonsieurChoc posted:

In the art book they say ORT is meant to be like an optional superboss in jrpgs.

One of the reasons I love those is that they give a sense that there's something significant outside the main narrative. In RPGs, which are also defined a lot by "power levels," that helps give the sense that there's a world out there that can insist upon its own existence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The Cat Returns is pretty cute.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i finished up watching akudama drive and that show loving rules. probably gonna be my new number 2 show, it was good from start to finish. 12 episodes and done, the pace was excellent and a whole bunch of cops got killed, good times

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I love how all the cats really feel catlike in subtle ways

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

MonsieurChoc posted:

That really is it, down to fans speculating on ways to kill it. Like the most plausible thing I heard involved a particular weapon that scaled to the threat and another artifact that can imbue a creature with a concept, making up for ORT’s lack of a concept of death

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...unchyroll%21%29

Hopefully this gets funded, the setting sounds like it'll be pretty cool.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OKAY TOP 10 DIPSHIT ASSHOLES THAT NEED TO DIE
NUMBERS 1 THROUGH 10: THIS MOTHERFUCKER

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Augus posted:

I mean I get it, but at least Arlong accepts being pirate and treats his crew well. That wannabe Captain Kuro though? He can gently caress right off.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Gripweed posted:

criminally underrated ghibli

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

christmas boots posted:

I mean I get it, but at least Arlong accepts being pirate and treats his crew well. That wannabe Captain Kuro though? He can gently caress right off.

Oda is very good at writing unsympathetic bastards that you can’t wait for Luffy to punch

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

KaptainKrunk posted:

criminally underrated ghibli

my 4 yr old loves Ponyo, sure it’s the little mermaid but it’s charming and like Totoro the whole crisis isn’t because an antagonist, just something that has to be done

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

yeah exactly, kuro's just another lovely guy

arlong knows exactly what's up and chooses to be a poo poo anyway :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

well gently caress I guess I'm just in love with this series now huh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Don't give it up Nami!

Ya-yo!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
arlong had a huge ego for a guy who set up camp in the wimpiest place in the world because he couldn't hack it elsewhere.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Augus posted:

lmao you have no idea how despicable One Piece villains can get

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Augus posted:

well gently caress I guess I'm just in love with this series now huh

Its pretty good!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
hell yeah

https://twitter.com/SSSS_PROJECT/status/1375985111624118274?s=20

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I cant wait till you get to Arlongs tragic backstory in uhhhh about three years or so

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

1. Griffith
2. Griffith

19. Griffith
20. Griffith

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Hilario Baldness posted:

1. Griffith
2. Griffith

19. Griffith
20. Griffith

Griffith did nothing wrong. The only one at fault was the idiot who forgot to put their grasses on.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I have a few hundred episodes of one piece just sitting there waiting for me - I’m maybe half way through the candy land arc

and since I’ve watched 700 of them or whatever I may as well continue but I find that my drive to find out what happens isn’t there

I feel like there are no surprises left!
but also I miss that half the main cast is off doing something different and we don’t even get a hint of what they’re up to

wolfs has issued a correction as of 09:03 on Mar 28, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/jan_toorops/status/1375666420772704256?s=20

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

christmas boots posted:

Griffith did nothing wrong. The only one at fault was the idiot who forgot to put their grasses on.

hot take thread is over there

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

One day, maybe one day, we will get a berserk adaptation that isn't truncated or just embarrassingly bad

Also lol at funimation going with Bang Zoom instead of NYAV with the original dub cast for the new seasons, it's like they knew it was terrible and didn't want to subject the original cast to it*

*The movies had the dub cast at least and they were flawed but not terrible imo, but a whole bunch of changes they made were pure :psyduck:, that Boscogn fight lmaooooo

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is that a real anime or just a mockup

oh it has something to do with that panzer girl universe?

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Mar 28, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Marzzle posted:

is that a real anime or just a mockup

oh it has something to do with that panzer girl universe?

In the Girls Und Panzer universe world peace was achieved so they repurposed all the aircraft carriers by building high schools on them because it was discovered that students learn better when their school is on a massive boat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Gripweed posted:

In the Girls Und Panzer universe world peace was achieved so they repurposed all the aircraft carriers by building high schools on them because it was discovered that students learn better when their school is on a massive boat.

i loving love science!!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
That explanation is only in one of the OVAs. In the series itself the fact that their school is on an aircraft carrier is never addressed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

When the Final Cut update drops

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

When the Final Cut update drops

What is this?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Okay so if I'm going to fomo into the anime I feel like I missed out on as a kid, which ones should I watch dubbed and subbed between:

>One Piece
>DBZ
>Naruto
>Yugioh

And where should I start/how many seasons should I watch of each (doubt I'll be watching 900+ episodes of One Piece or every DBZ series lmao)?

Also, as a basic af super heterosexual cisgendered man would I be able to stomach Sailor Moon? Likewise would my gf be able to stomach DBZ? :thunk:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Okay so if I'm going to fomo into the anime I feel like I missed out on as a kid, which ones should I watch dubbed and subbed between:

>One Piece
>DBZ
>Naruto
>Yugioh

And where should I start/how many seasons should I watch of each (doubt I'll be watching 900+ episodes of One Piece or every DBZ series lmao)?
just start watching and if it's not landing stop imo. like yeah, some of these start a bit slow (i.e. OP only gets real good at around ep 45), but if you don't like after a dozen episodes you probably won't :shrug:

it's only 20 minute episodes, so you can easily knock out 1-2 a night while falling asleep :v:

Yossarian-22 posted:

Also, as a basic af super heterosexual cisgendered man would I be able to stomach Sailor Moon? Likewise would my gf be able to stomach DBZ? :thunk:
lmfao what

Truga has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
if you’re going to do One Piece read the manga instead.

Watch DBZ Kai instead of the original Dragonball Z as it cuts out the filler but do watch the filler episode where Goku gets his driver’s license.