Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

homeless snail posted:

All that said, I played Rise for 10+ hours before I even bothered crafting armor, it's not exactly a treadmill

I don't even really think about skills and stuff until high rank, I just get the stuff that has good number and looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That loving Sned posted:

A VMU would probably help 🙂

But can you say you really experienced the Dreamcast without a rumble pack, keyboard and mouse, broadband adapter, fishing rod, maracas, microphone for Seaman, and trance vibrator?

E: there's a bunch of unreleased stuff too, like a wand-shaped controller with motion controls and a VMU with MP3 support

You forgot the most important peripheral

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The absolute best thing is the 3DS Dreamcast theme, where the VMU beep is sound that plays when you wake the system and how they took a Dreamcast into a studio to get the sound of the CD drive in the best quality.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i’m looking forward to what they do with the games after 3d all-stars is delisted *they do nothing and never mention it again, owning me*

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Delist it and then drop galaxy 2 as dlc according to the internet

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

b_d posted:

i’m looking forward to what they do with the games after 3d all-stars is delisted *they do nothing and never mention it again, owning me*

Release them again individually w/ the QOL changes that should have been there in the first place.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Alternatively, give Sunshine and Galaxy the 64 camera.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It kinda seems like MHR is more like Generations than World. Is Capcom abandoning the World format? Cause I thought it was really good and a major improvement.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm holed up in my bunker, shotgun ready for when the nintendo goons come and try to take my copy of 3D Allstars. Come and get it Miyamoto.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pollyanna posted:

It kinda seems like MHR is more like Generations than World. Is Capcom abandoning the World format? Cause I thought it was really good and a major improvement.

Rise is very much a continuation of the "old" style MonHuns like Generations, but it has many of the improvements that World had, so it's the best of both worlds.

*You don't need pickaxes or bug nets to gather
*Gathering in general is much faster. Just grabbing from a thing once just gives you multiple things
*Monsters appear on the map without needing to chuck Paint Balls at them or collect their tracks like in World

And the weapon designs are not dead boring like they were in World.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Takoluka posted:

The absolute best thing is the 3DS Dreamcast theme, where the VMU beep is sound that plays when you wake the system and how they took a Dreamcast into a studio to get the sound of the CD drive in the best quality.

Oh my god what is this and how do I get it???

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah Rise basically brought over all the worthwhile stuff from World while leaving all the bullshit it brought behind. Best of both worlds indeed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Rise feels slightly off to me being a big World fan but the first hammer has a cool effect when you charge it so I'm sold

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I discovered a new type of Korok after ~150 hrs of BOTW across 1.5 playthroughs. I noticed a nut sitting in a hole in the side of a tree, shot it with an arrow, and a Korok popped out! Now I have to look closely at every large tree I pass by...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Oh my god what is this and how do I get it???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakXXcPfmak

The 3DS has a theme shop where you can buy it, can't remember where it's located, but it's not through the regular eshop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mmm, some of the stuff I liked from World seems like it'd be hard to pull off on the Switch. No loading zones, expansive enviroments, a base that doesn't feel claustrophobic, etc. If they still have cool stuff like the Zorah Magdaros event, the discovery of Xeno'jiiva, Bazelgeuse showing up out of nowhere for the first time and freaking you out, that goddamn chef :allears:, the first time you get to the Rotten Vale and meet one of the coolest characters in the game and also see Rotten Vale holy poo poo, then I might be up for it anyway!

Oh my god, it's been four years since World. :smith:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much they pulled off with RE Engine!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Any racing games that aren't Kart racers or Formula 1 sims? I just want to race on a course without having to shift a thousand times or having first place sniped by a drat blue shell.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Pollyanna posted:

Mmm, some of the stuff I liked from World seems like it'd be hard to pull off on the Switch. No loading zones, expansive enviroments, a base that doesn't feel claustrophobic, etc.

Have you looked at the demo, or any gameplay videos? I’m legitimately struggling to think of anything World does better than Rise, it’s not a step back at all.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Wildtortilla posted:

I discovered a new type of Korok after ~150 hrs of BOTW across 1.5 playthroughs. I noticed a nut sitting in a hole in the side of a tree, shot it with an arrow, and a Korok popped out! Now I have to look closely at every large tree I pass by...

I spent the last half of my playthrough just wearkng the Korok mask at all times. There's way too many of them fuckers and I was driving myself insane with anything at all that came in groups of 3 or looked a little out of place.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pollyanna posted:

Mmm, some of the stuff I liked from World seems like it'd be hard to pull off on the Switch. No loading zones, expansive enviroments, a base that doesn't feel claustrophobic, etc. If they still have cool stuff like the Zorah Magdaros event, the discovery of Xeno'jiiva, Bazelgeuse showing up out of nowhere for the first time and freaking you out, that goddamn chef :allears:, the first time you get to the Rotten Vale and meet one of the coolest characters in the game and also see Rotten Vale holy poo poo, then I might be up for it anyway!

Can't speak for Zorah, Xeno, or Bazel, but there are plenty of monsters wandering around other than your quest target, and also the zones are indeed huge and expansive like in World. Plus you can grapple around everywhere and ninja your way up mountains. It owns. I don't miss World at all.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

cool stuff like the Zorah Magdaros event

:confused:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pollyanna posted:

i mean for the record there's no loading zones, areas are fully connected. the maps aren't as 'lush' exactly as the world ones but you can scale them entirely using wirebugs and they still look super pretty and are nothing like the mostly empty arenas connected by loading transitions from earlier games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I can't decorate my house with small animals though which is a massive hit to Rise

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gathering Hub is kinda small and cramped.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s wrong with Zorah Magdaros?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Walla posted:

Any racing games that aren't Kart racers or Formula 1 sims? I just want to race on a course without having to shift a thousand times or having first place sniped by a drat blue shell.

There's Virtua Racing, Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, and Grid 2. There's also a legally distinct NASCAR game I forget what it's called.

Comedy option: Asphalt 8/9

Don't buy the Gear.Club games.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I can't directly tell but I think the desert zone in Rise is bigger than Wildspire Wastes. At any rate, the zones are pretty big.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll check out the demo once my fixed joycon comes in, then.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Monster Hunter Rise kicks major rear end and has fully turned me into a MonHunHead. It's one of the nicest looking games on the Switch and it runs super smoothly even when playing online with a full party of 4 people and 4 dogs and tons of animations and particle effects going on at once

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pollyanna posted:

Depends on what you mean by "the World format". There's actually two teams doing MH development at Capcom. There's the "main" team who does all the numbered entries (and World which is essentially MH5), and the "portable" team who does the portable games: Freedom/FU, Portable 3rd, Generations and now Rise.

The portable team seems to have a lot more leeway to experiment with wacky stuff, but that's usually contained to those individual games. Just like how Generations styles and Hunter Arts are just for Generations, I would not expect stuff like Switch Skills or the Wirebug to be carried on forward.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

b_d posted:

They’ll bring them back, but only for the new Switch.

Wildtortilla posted:

poo poo I don’t remember if I got that one. I’m not planning to get all of them or anything, but always on the lookout for stuff like that.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

There's Virtua Racing, Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, and Grid 2. There's also a legally distinct NASCAR game I forget what it's called.

Comedy option: Asphalt 8/9

Don't buy the Gear.Club games.

Thanks I'll have to check these out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There’s a bunch of indie games racing games too but...there’s a shitload, and quality varies wildly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I was always a Satisfye grip guy but recently converted to the Skull n co grip case. Comes with three different sized attachments and actually fits in the dock. Both are great and in my opinion essential that you have one or the other.

https://skullnco.com/products/gripcase-for-nintendo-switch

I agree. It’s a fantastic grip case.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pretty good posted:

I got like 40 hours into PS1 FFT twice, a couple years apart, and gave up both times because I accidentally loaded the wrong savestate and hosed my virtual memory card in the process :sadwave:

What emulator are you using that doesn't use a separate file as the memory card? ePSXe and a few others do so the memory card is independent of save states. Or it was the last time I ran it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure Retroarch and other multi-console emulators still bundle save files and save states together. At the very least I know BizHawk does.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1376298083823194117?s=19

Nothing is better than a dog

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

japtor posted:

There’s a bunch of indie games racing games too but...there’s a shitload, and quality varies wildly.

It's all about Isle of Mann TT 2; imagine the Nurburgring, but about ten times bigger, and loving up kills at least a few people every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

But yes iirc although I imagine it'll be a few months more before we see it, (or Tony hawk)

That reminds me, I am very excited for Tony Hawk to come to Switch. :D