Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Redczar posted:

He has COVID at the moment btw, which goes to show how dangerous it can be. Even when someone is completely isolated they can get it

Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Redczar posted:

He has COVID at the moment btw, which goes to show how dangerous it can be. Even when someone is completely isolated they can get it

Pin.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

MrNemo posted:

The US is super lovely on Latin America policy, Biden should not pushing domestic policy responses in places like Bolivia where the side currently on the receiving end of legally questionable treatment (and I mean legally, not morally) had launched a coup against a legitimate government. I would say I think that's preferable to relaunching full sanctions on Cuba and informally trying to drum support for a boots on the ground invasion of Venezuela as well as probably giving tacit backing to an incompetently attempted foreign coup.

Can you point me to the details that make the treatment of Añez legally questionable beyond "the wapo editorial board said so"?

Also, you do realize that even in opposition, most of the democrats were endorsing the coup in Bolivia, and that Biden also already reinforced his commitment to the one true president of Venezuela? Even AOC managed to get caught in a nice selfie with the american arm of the coup propagandists and then, when distancing herself afterwards, it led to a whole shitton of "omg AOC siding with authoritarian dictators over the people of Bolivia" posts among blue checkmark resistance twitter. I mean, I don't think you will find anyone on even on the scariest parts of the left claiming that Trumps twitter account was more of a dove on foreign policy than Biden, but we really shouldn't be giving Biden (or the democrats at large) the benefit of the doubt when 99% of the time so far they end up supporting the same horrible actual policies. And on top of that, you know, the fact that the democrats are supposed to be the good guys in this scenario...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Redczar posted:

Can someone reword this so it can be the thread title

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Can someone reword this so it can be the thread title

Latin America: Covid is so contagious, even lonely introvert Juan Guaido got it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Spice World War II posted:

Can you point me to the details that make the treatment of Añez legally questionable beyond "the wapo editorial board said so"?

Also, you do realize that even in opposition, most of the democrats were endorsing the coup in Bolivia, and that Biden also already reinforced his commitment to the one true president of Venezuela? Even AOC managed to get caught in a nice selfie with the american arm of the coup propagandists and then, when distancing herself afterwards, it led to a whole shitton of "omg AOC siding with authoritarian dictators over the people of Bolivia" posts among blue checkmark resistance twitter. I mean, I don't think you will find anyone on even on the scariest parts of the left claiming that Trumps twitter account was more of a dove on foreign policy than Biden, but we really shouldn't be giving Biden (or the democrats at large) the benefit of the doubt when 99% of the time so far they end up supporting the same horrible actual policies. And on top of that, you know, the fact that the democrats are supposed to be the good guys in this scenario...

The only person who stood their ground for Morales was Bernie.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/UrbanNathalia/status/1376831890766848010?s=19

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Are there any good books about the history of South and Central America from the beginning of the 20th century onwards?

https://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-History-Latin-America-Translation/dp/082231374X This is okay for a generalized treatment, although it does spend quite a lot of time in the 19th century as well. Unfortunately there really aren't any books that can give a good look at the entire region; Latin America is huge and has a number of different histories. You're much better off reading more specific books rather than trying to find one book that will cover everything.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
Born in Blood and Fire is a great one that’s general but it goes back to colonial era

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I would argue that you can't talk about contemporary history without going to the past.

I've plugged it before but for Colombia I really found Historía Mínima de Colombia de Jorge Melo very informative, though you have to read in Spanish.

I have no idea if it's a series but that title is common enough that you find it for several countries.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Open Veins is an incredible book, but I kind of assume that anybody posting itt has already read it?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Legacy of ashes if you want a quick reference to make your blood boil.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

How are u posted:

Open Veins is an incredible book, but I kind of assume that anybody posting itt has already read it?

Seconding this

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So all three heads of Brazil's military have resigned after Bolsonaro sacked the defense minister. That seems...bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What happens if someone invades Brazil now?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What happens if someone invades Brazil now?

As long as they say they are coming in to kill commies, the government will let them loot and burn as they please. Might even pay them a little cash on the side.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

u brexit ukip it posted:

So all three heads of Brazil's military have resigned after Bolsonaro sacked the defense minister. That seems...bad.

Oh, I am just a student, sir, and I only want to learn...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy gently caress.

https://twitter.com/rooitv/status/1377729288951230465?s=21

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Chile is having a normal one
https://twitter.com/carrizo_ortiz/status/1379156416779419656?s=21

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Today's report was just embarrassing. How are you feeling, Minister?

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Just an ingeniero comercial girl in a cargo público world.

(I know he’s not a ‘commercial engineer’ but he sure acts like one)

The Paris whining stuff is mind-blowingly embarrassing. Like, I get that there is zero introspection on the part of the government, but stop publicly throwing temper tantrums when you get rightfully called out about how poo poo you’ve been

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Instead the government would rather make sure only the right journalists ask the right questions. Seriously, El Libero?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1389633131234439177

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Columbian police are shooting protestors on the ground for protesting tax hikes:

TW: Man gets shot

:nws:https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1389704407449808899?s=20:nws:

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Chile is having an election and my doom drinking became cautious celebration drinking about half an hour ago

Edit: eh gently caress it. I don’t even live in Santiago Centro but I’m going to toxx that Alessandri isn’t re-elected

Redczar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 17, 2021

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
literally a handful of votes away from confirming a communist mayor in downtown Santiago (for reference, unlike other LatAm capitals the Santiago district doesn't swing more leftwards than the rest of the country by a significant margin, it's a swing district that's gone back and forth between the center-left and the right over the last few decades. If confirmed, the communist victory in Santiago is huge, because unlike previous wins like Jadue's in Recoleta (who got reelected tonight by a landslide), they didn't field candidates under a "pact of omission" with the center-left - in fact, everyone was expecting an easy win of the right because there was a single conservative candidate against like 4 or 5 leftist candidates

for the rest of it, crossposting my take from c-spam:

SexyBlindfold posted:

Re: chilean elections, results are only halfway in, but things don't seem too bad. Some real shitheads getting in, but overall the right is still short of the 1/3 it needed to effectively have veto power in the drafting of the new constitution. A fairly good showing for the communists too. Jadue was re-elected as mayor by a landslide, so this is a boost for his presidential chances.

Quoting my doomer post from the other day:

SexyBlindfold posted:

Some pointers to keep in mind for tomorrow (+day after) night when I'm getting drunk off my rear end obsessively refreshing the Servel page:

- The magic number is 2/3

- My absolute dream result would be for Marcela Cubillos to eat poo poo

- If by some chance Jiles's husband (whom, she made this very clear, she does not gently caress) wins the governorship of the capital, then Jiles is set to win the presidency by a landslide, no matter what the polls say. It'll likely go to Orrego or Parot, though, and if it goes to Edwards we live in hell. If Oliva wins, C H I L E Z U E L A .

1. so far the right doesn't have the 1/3 it needs - it's debatable whether the other 2/3rds could be considered "the left", since by far the biggest winners tonight were independents (mostly left-leaning ones, granted, but you get all sorts), but since the constitutional proposals from everyone save for the right were fairly similar, a broad consensus should be possible.
2. she's winning by the largest majority in the country lmao
3. Jiles's husband ate poo poo so I guess he'll remain a virgin (???). Orrego (christian democrat, centrist) and Karina Oliva (Frente Amplio, left) are going to the runoff. Oliva will likely get obliterated, but it's highly significant that the right wasn't even able to make it to the runoff for what was likely the most important race of the night.

e: communist mayor in downtown Santiago holy poo poo

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Machi (shaman / spiritual leader among the Mapuche) Francisca Linconao won a landmark case against a lumber corporation in 2009, was framed by the authorities for the deaths of the Luchsinger-Mckays (a couple of wealthy landowners in the Araucania region) in 2014, faced charges of murder, arson and terrorism which could have resulted in a life sentence, was acquitted in 2017, and has been elected as a member of the Constitutional Assembly in one of the seats reserved for indigenous peoples.
dope

https://twitter.com/frparrag/status/1394117942447677447

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

It WILL happen that one of Cubillos or her scum mates will say or do something stupid related to Linconao, and when they do I hope Hugo Gutiérrez does something drastic

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

In a night of surprising things, one of the most surprising might be that the gender parity rule has, for the moment, benefitted men more than women

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Despite Sharp being the most useless mayor Valparaiso has ever seen, he got reelected again. In general not feeling any of these winners.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
After 24 hours of continued anxiety at the low turnout for such an important election, last night once the results were starting to come in was quite the relief.

Also, just want to put my word in: gently caress Cubillos, and gently caress district 11. At least their influence is dampened greatly and we get to see them cry.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 17, 2021

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Honestly thought we were going to eat more poo poo but #ChileFuimos :woop:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hot drat, congrats, Chile!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What was the reason there were so many left-leaning independents who didn't sign up with a party? Lista del Apruebo are sellouts and Apruebo Dignidad is too left wing (for some people)?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Badger of Basra posted:

What was the reason there were so many left-leaning independents who didn't sign up with a party? Lista del Apruebo are sellouts and Apruebo Dignidad is too left wing (for some people)?

Let's see - the results can be a bit confusing if you go by lists because the lists for the Constituent Assembly don't exactly match up with the lists for the other votes (governor, mayor, etc) - for example, the far right Republicanos were in the same ticket as the mainstream right for constituents, but ran against each other for mayor and governor. You have quite a few "pure" independents (i.e. no party affiliation AND no list) winning seats for mayor and governor, but nearly all constituents were part of a list (this is discounting the 17 reserved seats for indigenous peoples, who were not elected by a system of lists but by simple majorities + adjustment for gender parity).

You might also get lost since there are independent candidates *within lists*, that is, candidates running under the umbrella/support/sponsorship of a political bloc but who aren't technically members of any political party. This has been extremely common in Chile for a while now, and sometimes it's merely a marketing trick to brand yourself as a political outsider, and other times it's because the bloc's trying some outreach towards other sectors - for example, Joaquín Lavín, presidential front-runner for the right wing, has always technically ran as an independent under Chile Vamos (or its equivalent at the time, I can't loving keep up with all the name changes), but it's understood by everyone that he's UDI. In contrast, the top national majority in last night's constituent vote went to Daniel Stingo, a well-known TV commentator who gained prominence for his sharp criticism of the government during the protests and pandemic, but he had no party affiliation or previous involvement in politics. He was signed at the last minute to run under the Apruebo Dignidad ticket (the same that includes the communist party, among others), and was listed as an independent for the AD list on the ballot, but he's not counted as an "independent" seat in the final tallies, he's counted as Apruebo Dignidad, so a seat for the left.
(It helps to keep in mind that, historically, Chile's never really had situations like Argentina or Mexico, where a single party achieves political hegemony (through whichever means), so in chilean electoral politics the political bloc matters more than the party, and the party matters more than the candidate, with some notable exceptions.)

But for the purposes of most graphics and news sites tallying the results, "Independent" members-elect of the constituent assembly refers to those who either chose to run on their own, without a list (those who got elected this way are in the low single digits, I believe) or ran under a list that does not correspond to any of the already-established political parties and blocs (that is, everyone who isn't Frente Amplio, Communist Party, ex-Concerta, or Chile Vamos / Republicanos). The top dogs of such independent lists were Lista del Pueblo and Independientes No Neutrales, who concentrated most seats labeled as "independent", and I think a couple of minor lists landed one or two seats in total.

Ah gently caress it - to make it clearer, lemme break down the numbers by constituent list -

Total seats: 155 (17 reserved for indigenous peoples, who ran in separate ballots per ethnicity, so that leaves 138 seats to be assigned via the list system)

37 seats - Vamos por Chile - basically Chile Vamos (RN (Piñera's party), Evópoli (RN-lite), and UDI (further right)), which is the mainstream right, and at least for the constituents it also included Republicanos (José Antonio Kast's recently created far-right party, mostly comprised of UDI deserters who got angry when the mainstream right moved from outspoken pinochetism to dogwhistle pinochetism). As with all other lists, they also fielded a lot of independents. They did well in district 11, as expected, and extremely poorly almost everywhere else. The right was hoping to gather all the Rechazo voters (which, I mean, it's pretty obvious, since who else were they gonna vote for) but also to regain their 'normal' conservative vote, which floats around 40% and 50%. The general thought was that the half of the right-wing electorate that had gone for the Apruebo, well, they had their fun, they went with the crowd to feel hip and cool, but now that it wasn't an abstract "do you want things to be good y/n" question and it was time to put names and faces on the board, they'd go back to voting as usual. But throughout the country, they barely managed to score higher than the Rechazo numbers, and this was in districts where they'd made 50% of the vote four years ago. So either all right-wingers stayed home, or those who went for the Apruebo did not come back. And that's across the board, because not only did they get absolutely dismal results for constituents, they also lost about 40% of the mayorships they held, and that's running against a left divided two, three and four times over in first-past-the-post races.
So, basically, Piñera's done it, the absolute madlad, el mismísimo conchesumare, he did what not even Allende's nefarious and totally real Plan Zeta could do. He killed the right wing.

28 seats - Apruebo Dignidad - this list includes the Frente Amplio (a coalition of microscopic leftist parties mostly born out of the 2011 student protests and mainly composed of former student union activists, and therefore locked in a perpetual cycle of petty infighting and party splits), a good chunk of independents, and the Communist Party of Chile. Forecasts were pretty grim for AD in general and for the Frente Amplio in particular, since their opinion polling had tanked due to their ineffective and uncertain role in the opposition, their perpetual slapfights, and the general drama and disrepute brought by Pamela Jiles (I'm not even sure if she's technically part of the FA, nobody's sure if they're technically part of the FA, you might technically be part of the FA). But it seems their target electorate has assumed that being a perpetual dumpster fire is part and parcel for a political organization populated mostly by cuicos progres, and they actually grew their numbers from the previous election by a significant margin - at least when you add the votes from the communists, who might end up being the senior partner in the bloc if it carries over to actual pursuit of policies. For all the poo poo the list could get from ~the twitter left~, it was still considered a fairly decent choice if you're young, LGBTQ, a feminist, a communist, or all of the above. The results are a boost for both the communists and the FA towards the presidentials - Jadue was re-elected by a landslide, the PC showed it could field highly competitive candidates throughout the country, and Boric could end up eroding a lot of Jiles's support if he ends up running in a primary (though the chances of him making the cut are slim - i can tolerate a lot from my candidates but i'll die before i vote for someone from punta arenas, loving hellhole penal colony with its banana-milk soaked hot dogs).

25 seats - Lista del Apruebo - basically the ex-Concertación parties - that is, the big-tent center-left coalition that ran Chile for 22 of the last 30 years. Over the last few years it's been slowly shrinking as it turns into a corncob, mostly because it completely failed to elevate any national (or local, really) figures after Bachelet, and their inablity to truly come to terms with their own responsibility in creating the system that the populace raged against from october '19 onwards. Not only did they severely underperform, most of the candidates who did get in were independents.
In the lead-up to the elections, the matter of a unified presidential primary of the entire opposition (including Jadue and Jiles) was a pressing issue, and there were various high-ranking ex-Concerta officials clutching pearls at the possibility of primarying along communists and populists (the ex-concerta's current presumptive presidential candidate, Heraldo Muñoz, could be best described as "center-left Jeb(!)"), but now that the results have sunk the establishment center-left even deeper into irrelevance, the mere thought of limiting their primary to their own single-digit-polling candidates appears laughable.

24 seats - Lista del Pueblo - the big surprise of the night, a list of left-leaning independents who ran with a fairly similar program to Apruebo Dignidad but with a bigger emphasis on having no partisan ties and fielding candidates with a more working-class background. None of the other left lists could expect to rely too hard on the political momentum from the protests (beyond a broad anti-right sentiment), since it was clear that the anger was directed towards them as well (mainly towards the Apruebo list, but towards the FA and PC as well, since they're still considered part of the political establishment to some degree). La Lista del Pueblo had no such issue, since save for a couple of exceptions they're all new faces, and from a sector that seldom sees political representation to boot, even among the left, so they capitalized on that.

11 seats - Independientes Nueva Constitucion (or Independientes No Neutrales, same thing) - If Lista del Pueblo is the rough ideological non-partisan equivalent of Apruebo Dignidad, Independientes No Neutrales is the rough ideological non-partisan equivalent of Lista del Apruebo (and the moderate wing of Vamos x Chile), at least the way I see it. In this case, however, there's no real contrast in the social origin of the candidates - most are upper-class professionals who lean closer to centrism, and who had fairly lukewarm takes during the protests. Still, some of them were fairly well-known figures (like charity worker Benito Baranda), so they managed to snatch a few extra seats due to the way the proportional system works. Chances are good they'll band together with some members of Apruebo and Vamos x Chile to form a moderate faction, but even if they did that they'd have trouble getting the numbers for anything more than a soft veto (remember that if an article doesn't make it into the constitution, that issue' becomes susceptible to be treated through normal legislation, which would be unfavorable to centrists and the right if Congress is expected to lean heavily to the left.

13 seats - Other independents - this one's a mixed bag, I haven't had time to pour over the names but at first glance there's a mix of smaller left-leaning lists supported by various grassroots movements, a couple of no-list individuals, some greens, some centrists, etc.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 17, 2021

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

So, basically, Piñera's done it, the absolute madlad, el mismísimo conchesumare, he did what not even Allende's nefarious and totally real Plan Zeta could do. He killed the right wing.

This is a great summary. The devastation of the right wing is so much that it’s even spilled over into the DC. They are a relatively popular, incredible centre party who always carry some weight in political debates. However they only got one delegate elected. While they’re technically part of the opposition, they’ve always been ready to betray that at the most inopportune moments. Seeing them run around today in a panic today has been incredibly cathartic.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Just some quick plots I banged out by webscrapping the servel website. Most surprising to me is that even among Barrio Alto, the turnout was quite low(in absolute terms from all voting age eligible voters, not relative, because obviously they still turned out way more than others), which I shouldn't really be thankful for, but I am, as it helped achieve what has been achieved. I am gonna be working on the data some more during the next few weeks as my free time permits. Anyone have anything they'd like to see plotted?

3 out of the 28 districts participation that shows a rather diverse class background

Mostly range from upper-middle class to straight up rich

Mostly middle class with a balance of upper and lower

Mostly lower class and some lower middle class

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Medieval Medic posted:

Just some quick plots I banged out by webscrapping the servel website. Most surprising to me is that even among Barrio Alto, the turnout was quite low(in absolute terms from all voting age eligible voters, not relative, because obviously they still turned out way more than others), which I shouldn't really be thankful for, but I am, as it helped achieve what has been achieved. I am gonna be working on the data some more during the next few weeks as my free time permits. Anyone have anything they'd like to see plotted?

3 out of the 28 districts participation that shows a rather diverse class background

Mostly range from upper-middle class to straight up rich

Mostly middle class with a balance of upper and lower

Mostly lower class and some lower middle class

Dope - The low turnout is rather worrying, but I suppose we'll know in the next election how much of it was due to the pandemic and how much of it could be due to voter apathy (or even the possibility of the right wing staying home for an election they loathed and being not quite as dead as apparent by last night). i'd be interested in seeing some numbers on the votes for city council (concejales), which is often touted by political analysis wonks as the true measuring rod for political party strength (at least in Chile, I suppose in the civilized world it's done by state legislatures and poo poo like that), and overall I'd tend to agree. I'm particularly interested in independent wins for city council, and overall results compared to the previous election. I'd also be very interested in comparing the combined Vamos Chile constituent vote in each district (or commune) with how the Rechazo fared there in 2020 and with the last legislative election - I'd like to get a better shape of that elusive right-wing electorate that voted apruebo but otherwise remained loyal to the right. Since that'd be numbers-intensive, just taking a few sample communes (a couple from the capital, a couple from the provinces) would be fine :)

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Pase de Movilidad and Copa América, huh

Vamos Chile :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So the president of El Salvador wants to have Bitcoin accepted as legal tender in his country:

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-america-latina-57373067

For those who don't speak Spanish, I'll sum it up to some main points:
- A major part of the country's economy comes from remittances, so using a digital currency could shave off fees and taxes paid to send the money.
- Bukele argues that a digital currency could also expand access to the financial system for the poor.

IMO it makes some sense, but no way in hell would I use Bitcoin as opposed to something more stable.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 6, 2021