Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
would we have this without bioware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is kind of a letdown how much world reactivity and dialogue choices have backslid in AAA RPGs since then. At the beginning of the last decade people were talking about what future tech could do for weaving in player choice, now we're all wishing for a game even half as divergent as Mass Effect 2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The cost of the part of the game the player doesn't see got too high

Plus it's hard to make a sequel to a game with multiple endings

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah there are many practical reasons why this fell out of favor, it's still a disappointment though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

What are they going to do, NOT spend a hundred million dollars on graphics???

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i mean this last gen we didn't even have any sequels to interconnect between!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rarity posted:

And the poop guy is also here, wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDubgcSUxXQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Game worlds become larger, scope grows wider, game systems get more expansive, staff sizes increase, development cycles grow longer, budgets balloon, individual writers can't exert as much control over the world state or narrative as they once could. It's hard not to see the dearth of reactive AAA RPGs as a response to this process over the last 10 years. I wish Mass Effect was more influential, then we'd maybe see some more 30-hour games that take less than a decade between entries.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fighting the FROGs with Meryl's team and you know the Metal Gear Solid franchise turned into Call of Duty so slowly I didn't even notice

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
JOHNNY WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF COMBAT NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO poo poo YOURSELF

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lol did you know the trivial pursuit “moops” card from the seinfeld bubble boy episode was a real misprint in the 1972 edition of the jeopardy board game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A misprint of what?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cardiovorax posted:

A misprint of what?

Moops isn't a proper noun, it should've been "moops"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

A misprint of what?

"Who invaded Spain in the 8th century?"

The Moors

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Ah, those Moops.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This reminds me of Mario Odyssee, like, character doesnt have a glide or anything but has plenty of tools to yeet themselves into the air and then throw some poo poo around to get horizontal about it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Game worlds become larger, scope grows wider, game systems get more expansive, staff sizes increase, development cycles grow longer, budgets balloon, individual writers can't exert as much control over the world state or narrative as they once could. It's hard not to see the dearth of reactive AAA RPGs as a response to this process over the last 10 years. I wish Mass Effect was more influential, then we'd maybe see some more 30-hour games that take less than a decade between entries.

Seems like the Open World game formula has become so rote it's inevitable that eventually making them will become really streamlined in some development software. The tools indie devs have today to repaidly create functioning games and basic mechanics are pretty impressive considering how much work and how long it once was to even set up a simple 3d space to platform in or whatever. I don't know if there will be a straight up OpenWorldMaker2000, but surely making Open World games easily creatable through diff game engines seems like a feature set any of them would wanna have around. Then again there's also a ton of work that can't be streamlined the same way or where you're always gonna want or need someone whose sole job is doing that one thing, like cutscene animation, or other things that might take all-development to complete.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It is kind of a letdown how much world reactivity and dialogue choices have backslid in AAA RPGs since then. At the beginning of the last decade people were talking about what future tech could do for weaving in player choice, now we're all wishing for a game even half as divergent as Mass Effect 2.

I think Tyranny was supposed to be like this, although I never got up the interest to actually play it past the first 15 minutes.

Old game now but Alpha Protocol was really cool for the different ways your actions effected things, shame about the actual gameplay part though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just getting back into AA: Trials and Tribulations. I'm still on the first trial and just met Dahlia Hawthorne. She's obviously not hiding anything.

Also I love that Winston Payne was a feared prosecutor.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I don't know if there will be a straight up OpenWorldMaker2000,
Depending on how you feel about RPGMaker, it already exists. Most of these are open world games, after all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just met the creepy robo girl squad. I assume these are the Beauties people have been talking about

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Depending on how you feel about RPGMaker, it already exists. Most of these are open world games, after all.

Not sure if I've ever played a complete RPGMaker game, hell, I never completed any of the ones I started. I did get far enough once, even added in cutscenes I stole from ff7 PC and there was a boss, a couple rock pushing puzzles, and all custom enemies and items and poo poo -- i shared it with my friends and the other nerds at school making rpgmakers rpgs and one of them liked it so much they ripped me off and told some other kids he made it.

Anyway, what open world RPGMaker games are there?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Anyway, what open world RPGMaker games are there?
Vampires' Dawn 1 and 2 are well-known and actually saw a full Let's Play here. They're also entirely in German, though - Germany had a crazy big RPGMaker community at one point, apparently.

There are wide number that made it to Steam. There's enough RPGMaker trash on there that I specifically had to exclude the tag from the store because it kept flooding my recommendations with the stuff. Labyronia RPG and such are open-world, I think? Not sure.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Aren't the Kemco games made in RPGMaker? Though they all ape the old SNES aesthetic.

On a different note, it's nice to see that Phoenix has always been self destructive. Mia is trying to keep you from going to jail for murder dummy!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

Just met the creepy robo girl squad. I assume these are the Beauties people have been talking about

You assume correctly.

Super fun watching your reactions to these games btw

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, all I can say to that is that I doubt he'd have asked any of them to get naked if they had been men. Fetish is probably the point here.

I mean.....there are forced shower scenes for naked Norman Reedus in Death Stranding so no, I think he's totally cool with objectifying men too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rarity posted:

xedo posted:

You assume correctly.

Super fun watching your reactions to these games btw

not if rarity means the frogs

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mulva posted:

I mean.....there are forced shower scenes for naked Norman Reedus in Death Stranding so no, I think he's totally cool with objectifying men too.

Its impossible to objectify Norman Reedus because he is the opposite of sexy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

fridge corn posted:

Its impossible to objectify Norman Reedus because he is the opposite of sexy

Tell my mom that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rinkles posted:

not if rarity means the frogs

No I mean the animal robot girls

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The other thing about the Mass Effect 3 ending is that, for every single person "in the biz" who is like "gamers are so entitled" and made fun of the backlash, you know there's a dark boardroom of Kotik-like figures who said "okay you guys are never allowed to do something like this again you have to run all major story decisions through this focus group from here on out"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I always felt like too much attention was paid to ME3's ending being a mess and not the rest of the game generally being a mess, also.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, all I can say to that is that I doubt he'd have asked any of them to get naked if they had been men. Fetish is probably the point here.

Wouldn't guarantee that, this IS metal gear.

Everything about B&B corp is stupid though. They also get called Snakehound to make the comparison REALLY obvious but they're like, the lamest part of Foxhound/Dead Cell/Cobra taken to form a character less than the sum of their parts.

Also, Drebin just randomly giving you their elaborate backstories that not even Snake gives half a poo poo about.

exquisite tea posted:

I'd miss it more if the choices in Mass Effect weren't generally incredibly dumb "Do I want to be good or bad" choices instead of "which is the choice I think makes more sense"

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 28, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I feel like the only person on earth who played Mass Effect 1 and was like "eh this is okay I guess"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

I'd miss it more if the choices in Mass Effect weren't generally incredibly dumb "Do I want to be good or bad" choices instead of "which is the choice I think makes more sense"

counter point: more games need mid-dialog defenestration prompts

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I feel like the only person on earth who played Mass Effect 1 and was like "eh this is okay I guess"

eh not that different from my take, which was kind of bad but not unplayable/wouldn't recommend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Even on a dead forum with like 20 people on it you could probably find at least someone who agrees with whatever your opinion is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I played Mass Effect 2 and it was fine but had no desire to play the sequel or the previosu one.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The other thing about the Mass Effect 3 ending is that, for every single person "in the biz" who is like "gamers are so entitled" and made fun of the backlash, you know there's a dark boardroom of Kotik-like figures who said "okay you guys are never allowed to do something like this again you have to run all major story decisions through this focus group from here on out"

It was so weird that people tried to turn it into a culture war thing. The series had been pitched from the beginning on the gimmick that you decisions mattered and continued on through the series, and at the end the grand total of change your decisions caused was what color the explosion was. Of course people were pissed. i simply do not understand the people who were like, "actually bad things are fine and if you complain that's doing a gamergate"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Imagine if AAA studios took those swollen, bloated billion-dollar budgets and thousand-person teams and instead made a dozen mid-budget games instead

that would be pretty cool, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

cheetah7071 posted:

Imagine if AAA studios took those swollen, bloated billion-dollar budgets and thousand-person teams and instead made a dozen mid-budget games instead

that would be pretty cool, I think

Yes but think of how the poor stockholders will react if each release doesn't set sales records and become a decade long multimedia franchise. And that's truly the most important factor in the end.