Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1376163201935622147?s=19

We just need to appeal to Tory voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

When the sun is over the yard-arm, it's time to start drinking rum!

It's never not time to drink rum on a sailing boat

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

The Scottish Parliament elections are coming up and I legit have no idea how to vote. Still technically a Labour member but as if I'm voting for Starmer or Sarwar. A catastrophic defeat for them is probably long term the best thing for the UK left anyway.

But who else? Scottish greens are decent, I guess. I do feel like there's a massive gaping hole in UK politics for an actual mainstream left party. The ideological support is clearly there especially amongst the younger half of the population. If the unions switched funding to an insurgent radical party and modernised their operations to fit the service economy and appeal to young people, they'd have a real shot at getting somewhere, much like labour itself did in the early 20th c.

I'm in the same position, someone who has moved between voting labour and SNP in the past. I don't see any valid party right now. Im mostly leaning Green, but wonder how the Alba party will do in terms of vote strength. Are their SNP weordos who will stick them as a number 2 on the ballot?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lungboy posted:

Good old Marr https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1376100319885717510?s=19, you can just imagine his producer in his ear saying "don't pick up the telegraph, REPEAT, do not pick up the telegraph"
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarr9/status/1376110733524664320Is there a group of people anywhere who are just so self-confident and pleased with themselves as the UK media?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The Saviour posted:

Im mostly leaning Green, but wonder how the Alba party will do in terms of vote strength. Are their SNP weordos who will stick them as a number 2 on the ballot?

Only the transphobic ones

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an updated version of the UK's vaccination timetable? The government's schedule still claims all adults will be offered their first jab by the 31st July, but September feels more realistic (unless they prioritise the third, booster vaccination over first doses).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Trickjaw posted:

Oh dear, I'm getting dogpiled by my ex-clp. I'm still on the FB and email list, and on FB they posted an article "Keir Starmer: Who is he?" All I did was respond ' No idea. He doesn't even know.', and they've all gone crackers about how he is steady and sensible, forensic, etc.

So glad done with those loving melts.

I would be sorely tempted to post the beginning of the Atlas Shrugged speech with Keir substituted in and see who catches on.

That's just begging for it.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Venomous posted:

The Alba Party encourages people to take number 2 on the ballot.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

Is there an updated version of the UK's vaccination timetable? The government's schedule still claims all adults will be offered their first jab by the 31st July, but September feels more realistic (unless they prioritise the third, booster vaccination over first doses).

Vaccine production (should) ramp up over time, and most of that is domestic. The gov timetable probably assumes increases in monthly vaccine supply, which itself isn't unreasonable. We are pumping a bunch of money into that. And the idea of third booster shots is just a idle though of "hey we may have to do this" at the moment, not a concrete plan or a certainty. Given that 30 million of the UKs 50 million adults have been jabbed in 10 weeks, saying the other 20 million will get jabbed in 18 weeks time along with third shots isn't hopeless optimism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

I would be sorely tempted to post the beginning of the Atlas Shrugged speech with Keir substituted in and see who catches on.

That's just begging for it.
For twelve months, you have been asking: Who is Keir Starmer? This is Keir Starmer speaking. I am the man who loves his wet eggs. I am the man who does not specify his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of an opposition and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread forensics-I am the man who will not actually tell you.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Do we have to call him John Starmer or Keith Galt?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm glad that the Alba party now exists to act as a oval office magnet for the SNP zoomers, which will hopefully stem some of the support bleeding off to the greens.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Twitter full of speculation tonight that Starmer's about to sack Annalise Dodds as Shadow Chancellor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Vaccine production (should) ramp up over time, and most of that is domestic. The gov timetable probably assumes increases in monthly vaccine supply, which itself isn't unreasonable. We are pumping a bunch of money into that. And the idea of third booster shots is just a idle though of "hey we may have to do this" at the moment, not a concrete plan or a certainty. Given that 30 million of the UKs 50 million adults have been jabbed in 10 weeks, saying the other 20 million will get jabbed in 18 weeks time along with third shots isn't hopeless optimism.

*So far* they're only talking about a delay of 2 weeks in opening up the next cohort and that's allegedly just a precautionary measure to ensure there's enough doses to get second doses into the arms of the people who got their first doses in January when we started hitting >250k/day. We were actually considerably overperforming over most of this month (averaging 400k doses/day when it was only meant to be 300k) and I wonder if the supply problems (which are still worryingly vague, to be honest) was actually just a reflection of us jabbing quicker than planned, before Pfizer and AZ could stand up more production.

Anyway assuming (as has been the case so far) that they're deliberately under-promising and by late April we can get up to 500k/day then we should catch up to schedule by the end of May and easily hit the end-of-July target.

On the other hand... the vaccination centre I've been volunteering at isn't just slowing down for April, it's closing down altogether until at least May, as are almost all of the standalone centres in north and east London, a region that's already behind the national pace. That doesn't sound like the planners think that we'll just be dropping back down to 250k/day to me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sorry I've been busy today repeatedly and alternatively punching myself in the face and balls so maybe this point had already been made, and better.

Sure we all know Boris is a cheater and apparently that's baked in but wasn't this set of cheating denied at the time because it would mean that actually he'd allocated public money as mayor to someone he was sleeping with? Should this not be looked at again?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Brexiters seek to raise £1m to set up 'neutral' Museum of Brexit

quote:

Leave campaigners have begun raising funds to open a Museum of Brexit after the long-awaited project was granted charitable status.

The trustees are seeking to generate £400,000 to buy a home for the museum – possibly in a pro-Brexit town such as Dudley in the West Midlands – plus another £250,000 to set up the institution and a strategic financial reserve of £350,000.

The project is being championed by prominent Brexiters who say they want to set up an institution that will tell the story of Britain’s departure from the EU “before items and stories get lost”.

Although all those involved in the project are keen Brexit supporters and the museum has had no public endorsements from pro-Europeans, the trustees said they were only able to secure charitable status by persuading the Charity Commission that it would be neutral.

A Q&A on the museum’s website says both sides of the Brexit debate need to be presented “fairly and in a balanced way”.

Alex Deane, one of the trustees and the executive director of the Grassroots Out campaign in 2016, said: “There is a tremendous story behind this that deserves to be preserved. Unless we act fast, much of the material from the referendum will be lost. Our objective is to plug that gap at the time when it is easiest – right now, while memories are fresh.”

I'm sure the golden, animatronic Nigel Farage statue will carefully explain both sides of the Brexit story between bouts of bogflushing Euro-Hitler

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Police have been contacted as a piece of sickening racist graffiti has been stolen from the Brexit Museum.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Convex posted:

I'm sure the golden, animatronic Nigel Farage statue will carefully explain both sides of the Brexit story between bouts of bogflushing Euro-Hitler

quote:

The project is being championed by prominent Brexiters who say they want to set up an institution that will tell the story of Britain’s departure from the EU “before items and stories get lost”

Get lost in the Austerity 4, 5, 6, 7 decades.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excited for the exhibit detailing the assassination of a sitting MP by a pro-Leave terrorist

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

quote:

...executive director of the Grassroots Out campaign...

Like all good grassroots campaigns, our first priority was corporate governance.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Unfortunately we have lost all recorded opinions about Brexit from fisherman past Jan 1st 2021. However you can enjoy their opinions from 2016-2020."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry I've been busy today repeatedly and alternatively punching myself in the face and balls so maybe this point had already been made, and better.

Sure we all know Boris is a cheater and apparently that's baked in but wasn't this set of cheating denied at the time because it would mean that actually he'd allocated public money as mayor to someone he was sleeping with? Should this not be looked at again?

The Westminister bubble doesn't care: therefore, it's not a story. There's really nothing more to it than that.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*So far* they're only talking about a delay of 2 weeks in opening up the next cohort and that's allegedly just a precautionary measure to ensure there's enough doses to get second doses into the arms of the people who got their first doses in January when we started hitting >250k/day. We were actually considerably overperforming over most of this month (averaging 400k doses/day when it was only meant to be 300k) and I wonder if the supply problems (which are still worryingly vague, to be honest) was actually just a reflection of us jabbing quicker than planned, before Pfizer and AZ could stand up more production.

Anyway assuming (as has been the case so far) that they're deliberately under-promising and by late April we can get up to 500k/day then we should catch up to schedule by the end of May and easily hit the end-of-July target.

On the other hand... the vaccination centre I've been volunteering at isn't just slowing down for April, it's closing down altogether until at least May, as are almost all of the standalone centres in north and east London, a region that's already behind the national pace. That doesn't sound like the planners think that we'll just be dropping back down to 250k/day to me.

From what I've heard (via Dr John Campbell whose YouTube channel I still watch regularly) the shortage is genuine and is due to a ban on vaccine exports from India, who produce a substantial amount of the UK's AstraZeneca vaccine. As noted though we are (finally) starting to ramp up local production, and the Moderna jab is expected to start being available fairly imminently, so the shortage should be temporary.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm fairly sure he denied it in the house at least once, which means he lied to the house. But to directly answer your question; yes it should be investigated, no it won't be investigated.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Convex posted:

Dudley already has one museum dedicated to a bygone age when ~Britain ruled the world~, it doesn't need another one

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's not hopeless optimism, but the Government is committed to the reopening plan, and it feels like no slow-down in the vaccine schedule can be admitted because nothing is allowed to change the big reopening in June.

Whilst anedotes are not data, in my experience:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...this is the reality. Colleagues have had their second doses postponed by a week, probably because the centre they are booked at had to close for a week because it ran out of vaccines. I've also had all my April shifts volunteering at a vaccination centre cancelled due to the centre scaling back, and a new centre that was due to open has had its start date delayed.

If there's any uncertainty about the production ramping up, then the NHS has no choice but to limit the number of first dose appointments, because the priority has to be to ensure there's enough to do the second jabs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

From what I've heard (via Dr John Campbell whose YouTube channel I still watch regularly) the shortage is genuine and is due to a ban on vaccine exports from India, who produce a substantial amount of the UK's AstraZeneca vaccine. As noted though we are (finally) starting to ramp up local production, and the Moderna jab is expected to start being available fairly imminently, so the shortage should be temporary.

Except they were warning of supply problems and talking about pushing back the 40+ cohort in the first week of March; the India export ban only happened this week. I'm still fairly certain that a fair part of the problem is a realisation that they don't have second jab appointments sorted for many (most?) of the people jabbed in January (they started getting you to book the second one at the same time as the first at some point in February, IIRC) and the bottleneck is actually getting that sorted out - I've said all along that this would be a problem and particularly for the late-Jan early-Feb first doses. Ones before that were mostly NHS staff and those in care homes, so the logistics is easy, but by late Jan we were getting into people in the "vulnerable but still living at home" population who are the hardest to get to and from the centres.

This also matches up with them closing down the standalone centres, because that vulnerable but at home cohort are going to be more reliant on patient transport which is already set up to get people to and from GPs/hospitals - I wonder if it's possible to match up which centres are standing down with which ones weren't stood up until late Feb/early March, my feeling is that most of the big ones opened in that period but that's based on the very unscientific "that's when they started appearing in the Responder app".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm fairly sure he denied it in the house at least once, which means he lied to the house. But to directly answer your question; yes it should be investigated, no it won't be investigated.

Oddly enough the guy in charge of stuff like investigating if he had lied to the house or not at the time was last seen wandering around Westminster carrying milk.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Raeg posted:

The Alba Party encourages people to take number 2 on the ballot.

And the transphobic Scottish nationalists will overwhelmingly vote SNP 1, Alba 2, yes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

Unfortunately I suspect this is overly optimistic: most people aren't even aware of trans issues, people like MacAskill and Salmond have a pretty high profile as far as ScotPol goes. And for SNP voters in particular I think it's fair to say the National has been a total soft touch on Salmond in general so wouldn't be shocked if they at least partially endorse "2nd vote Alba".

Just guessing though.

keep punching joe posted:

I'm glad that the Alba party now exists to act as a oval office magnet for the SNP zoomers, which will hopefully stem some of the support bleeding off to the greens.

Why would you not want SNP to bleed support yo the Greens? Literally a better party in every single way, and even if you didn't think so, voting for them doesn't hurt the Nats a jot because they got 4 list MSPs last time for 1 million votes.

I know I'll vote Green on the list but the constituency is a lot harder. Might end up just not. Not loving voting for Fergus Ewing, Labour are poo poo, Tories are Tories and Liberals are Tories.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I do hope homeowners in Kent kept hold of all the bottles of lorry driver piss thrown over their walls so that they can be enjoyed by future generations

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

forkboy84 posted:

Unfortunately I suspect this is overly optimistic: most people aren't even aware of trans issues, people like MacAskill and Salmond have a pretty high profile as far as ScotPol goes. And for SNP voters in particular I think it's fair to say the National has been a total soft touch on Salmond in general so wouldn't be shocked if they at least partially endorse "2nd vote Alba".

Just guessing though.

Why would you not want SNP to bleed support yo the Greens? Literally a better party in every single way, and even if you didn't think so, voting for them doesn't hurt the Nats a jot because they got 4 list MSPs last time for 1 million votes.

I know I'll vote Green on the list but the constituency is a lot harder. Might end up just not. Not loving voting for Fergus Ewing, Labour are poo poo, Tories are Tories and Liberals are Tories

there is usually a wacky independent candidate you can vote for who is running because they have a grudge against the council over the bins or because they want to ban microwave ovens or shampoo or bring back the ducking stool or whatever

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the secret to doing that is to be against one entirely reasonable thing to be opposed to like dog fighting and then immediately switch into being against the secret satanist cabal that is moving your lawn ornaments so that they face towards saturn every night.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 28, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

The Greens will be the big losers from the existence of Alba. Alba will pick up list votes from SNP voters and people who vote Green just to get more indy folk in Parliament. I could see Alba picking up 3 or 4 seats.

We're going to see 1 defection a day now I think till polling day. Cherry has to be the day 7 big surprise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I think the secret to doing that is to be against one entirely reasonable thing like dog fighting and then immediately switch into being against the secret satanist cabal that is moving your lawn ornaments so that they face towards saturn every night.
And then the papers say "He's just got valid concerns about dog fighting. Don't you care about dog fighting?" And then when you point out that's not what we're arguing about, they say "well maybe it should be" and you get dogpiled on twitter by dogfighting advocates from both sides.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm in an "old pictures of your home town" group on Facebook, and someone posted a photo of the smoke, steam and pollution from the industrial area around the power and railway stations in the 1960s. Someone else said "Thank goodness we've moved on since then." Seems reasonable, right?

Wrong! At least according to the 'poo poo, we used to have lead in petrol'/'holy poo poo these people are allowed to vote' contingent!

A mouthbreather posted:

clean air means no work more crime

Some moron posted:

There was Full employment then . You can't eat fresh air .

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Before the Alkali, &c. Works Regulation Act we had good decent jobs burning usselves into skeletons and all the dugs we could eat.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
asbestos hash, bah gum :yum:

thems wert' deys

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Apparently this is a British thing.

A bunch of brits elsewhere on this godforsaken forum were discussing that Colin the Caterpillar is a British thing.

Apparently I should know this if I am really British.

What the gently caress goons. What are you up to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mebh posted:

Apparently this is a British thing.

A bunch of brits elsewhere on this godforsaken forum were discussing that Colin the Caterpillar is a British thing.

Apparently I should know this if I am really British.

What the gently caress goons. What are you up to?

Sell that pic as an NFT.