Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beach Bum posted:

The Aluminum Rapid Pump "Racing" jacks are also excellent for low cars. I have the 1.5t for the Fit/Civic and take it with me to the track for tire changes.

I have that one as well (mostly because it was the cheapest one they had in stock at the time), and it works very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

simplefish posted:

Pro tip for you all

Between finding out your strap wrench is too big for your filter and jamming a screwdriver in it because the shops are shut and you need the car tomorrow... don't forget which way is clockwise.

And if you break your screwdriver "loosening" it, stop because you're doing something wrong.

I now have a gouge 180 degrees around it so can't try the screwdriver trick again to loosen it.

I was going to screw 2 screws into the end of the filter to slot a lever in but decided instead of making a bad job worse I'd just beg a ride and buy a smaller strap wrench.

Also, taping sockets inside your strap wrench to decrease the diameter doesn't work.

simplefish posted:

My strap wrench broke almost immediately whrn I used it.

I tried putting screws in the end of the oil filter but they just bent when I put a lever between them.

Adjustable plumbing grips worked for 1/4 turn but slipped

So I screwed a screw into the side to give the grips purchase and got the filter off - finally!

You know, a basic oil change

It has a spring thing in! Who knew?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

simplefish posted:

You know, a basic oil change

It has a spring thing in! Who knew?

Yikes.

This is why you only put them on hand tight.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus. For some reason I can see this happening to me when I go to change the oil filter on my S10. PO probably gorilla'd it in. I mean the spark plugs were in waaay too tight, so what can I expect.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kavros posted:

So if my standard is like a 2004 CRV I can just kiss that kind of openness goodbye, but in exchange might not die in grody crashes?

I like the Subaru Impreza for good visibility.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Car alarm has been going off randomly through the night in my 2005 avalon, Google says hood latch, does that sound about right?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kavros posted:

So if my standard is like a 2004 CRV I can just kiss that kind of openness goodbye, but in exchange might not die in grody crashes?

You will have to accept things have changed somewhat, at least on more modern vehicles. This came up in A/T’s Car Buying thread recently, and Volkswagen was noted for their interior packaging, which I would agree is nice, but I haven’t been too bothered by other cars either.

But really I think KYOON’s advice to go drive some cars you’re interested in is sound. I’d take a look at the interior pictures too.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I think I'll do that, and per charles' suggestion check Subaru. Apparently also Volvo?

A good followup question I have are: which SUV's have the driver's seats the highest up off the ground?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kavros posted:

Pretty much, but if you sit in things you might be able to find something that is relatively open. I find that my Golf wagon has pretty good visibility and openness for a modern car, for example.

Charles posted:

I like the Subaru Impreza for good visibility.

Yeah I'll say this for the much-loathed (by me) Crosstrek: the sight lines are pretty good.

Kavros posted:

A good followup question I have are: which SUV's have the driver's seats the highest up off the ground?

Are you thinking that higher off the ground = better visibility because that is not necessarily the case

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kavros posted:

I think I'll do that, and per charles' suggestion check Subaru. Apparently also Volvo?

The car buying thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Not trying to be rude, just saying that’s where these questions should probably go.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I need to pick up some new jack stands, was hoping to grab something locally. Anyone have strong opinion on the Masterforce from Menards? They looked better than what's in stock at the other stores.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...1774-c-9113.htm

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you thinking that higher off the ground = better visibility because that is not necessarily the case

I forget what website/managezine it was in, but someone put a 5 year old child in front of a new Suburban (obviously parked). Couldn't see them. At. All. The top of their head barely reached the bow tie emblem, IIRC?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think you're thinking of the new Escalade

https://twitter.com/andyjayhawk/status/1316038292769566723

but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find the new Suburban is exactly the same size. Gotta keep up

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Same platform so I'd bet that it's got similar visibility issues.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I need to pick up some new jack stands, was hoping to grab something locally. Anyone have strong opinion on the Masterforce from Menards? They looked better than what's in stock at the other stores.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...1774-c-9113.htm

I don't have any personal experience with them, but the pin is a nice touch. Looks like comparable Torin stands are a decent bit more expensive too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...80ae25e77d0bddb

I know with all the fallout last year with Harbor Freights stands more like this came into favor too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...a69847ab83e40d9

But I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're eyeing up, I guess give the welds a careful look. Not that you asked for a reminder, but make sure everything is secure before going under a vehicle held up by jack stands.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nitsuga posted:

I don't have any personal experience with them, but the pin is a nice touch. Looks like comparable Torin stands are a decent bit more expensive too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...80ae25e77d0bddb

Looks like those two and these (which I have) are likely all made int he same place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074R12H5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Agreed. Ideally I want both high visibility and height. As I've started researching cars and car stuff in advance of starting to buy "the first super indulgent car I bought because I, me, myself alone and without the nagging and overruling presence of my family, really wanted it and exactly it" and I've realized that because of my growing up in and driving overly large farm trucks, I prefer height.

Not going to start isolating models or doing the buying process yet, just trying to gain general automotive knowledge and the lore behind each brand so I can get a sense of how cars have changed and what things I don't know I want yet.

It results in some stupid questions but wellll

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks guys, went ahead and picked those up. They looked pretty well made in person.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I think you're thinking of the new Escalade

https://twitter.com/andyjayhawk/status/1316038292769566723

but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find the new Suburban is exactly the same size. Gotta keep up

https://www.wthr.com/mobile/article...60-3363f0954b3b

This is probably what they're thinking of. You have to go 13 children deep to see past the hood of an Escalade.

My 2017 Kia Soul has seats that are very high up, without being a huge vehicle, but the view out the rear is better in the Impreza (thick C pillars).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They should mandate those school bus swing arms on the front of escalades imo

for the children

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any idea why this might be happening?

If it helps, here’s what’s directly above the leak.

Is it something I can fix myself, or do I have to take this thing to service again? :gonk:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What are the relevant measurement points on a McPherson strut to determine how high it will ride on a different vehicle and whether it's going to make the caster/camber all wacky? Background: I have a friend who is dialing in a new mill and needs some test projects, I had mentioned to him how the strut mounts on my SVX are no longer available and he said "Hey show me what they look like and I'll make a set." Given that molding and pressing the rubber portion of a traditional strut mount sounds like it would be hard to do safely I'm thinking of having him make a pillow ball camber plate (I'll buy the pillow ball bearing part since a spherical bearing is way beyond the capabilities of this mill), and I'm thinking while I'm at it I'll see if I can figure out another Subaru model whose struts would give roughly the same ride height so I'm not relying on the dwindling supply of SVX parts in Subaru warehouses and not stuck with the aftermarket options for the SVX which are limited both in variety and in quality, since there's probably a total of 5 people who would shell out for Bilstein/Ohlin quality struts on a 30 year old car that costs about as much as the suspension would.

I know some people have put second generation Impreza struts on there so the mounting bracket works, but I don't know if they had to add camber bolts or custom strut mounts to adjust the caster/camber/toe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is it something I can fix myself, or do I have to take this thing to service again? :gonk:

Your door seals appear to be rotted to poo poo. It's a little annoying but not difficult to fix, you can DIY it for sure. Not sure what kind of car it is except some kind of Honda. You'll want some kind of plastic trim removal device to pry out the old one or a plastic knife will do. Don't use metal tools. The new one has little plastic pushpins on it that hold it in place, you just line up with the holes and go. Drape the thing all the way around and get it lined up, then start with the tricky corner at the top on the hinge side when you secure it.

Book time is about half an hour to do it, so even if you're not sure what you're doing it won't take more than an hour.

edit: if one is hosed they're probably all hosed, you should replace the others while you're at it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Any idea why this might be happening?

If it helps, here’s what’s directly above the leak.

Do you have a sunroof?

This looks like when my sunroof drains got blocked

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

simplefish posted:

Do you have a sunroof?

This looks like when my sunroof drains got blocked

Likewise when one of mine got disconnected. Water would just piss from the A pillar when I stopped with the nose facing downhill in the rain, and sometimes just from braking depending on wind.

Usually easy enough to fix if you're comfortable taking off interior panels, just watch out around the side airbags if equipped.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No sunroof, no.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Your door seals appear to be rotted to poo poo. It's a little annoying but not difficult to fix, you can DIY it for sure. Not sure what kind of car it is except some kind of Honda. You'll want some kind of plastic trim removal device to pry out the old one or a plastic knife will do. Don't use metal tools. The new one has little plastic pushpins on it that hold it in place, you just line up with the holes and go. Drape the thing all the way around and get it lined up, then start with the tricky corner at the top on the hinge side when you secure it.

Book time is about half an hour to do it, so even if you're not sure what you're doing it won't take more than an hour.

edit: if one is hosed they're probably all hosed, you should replace the others while you're at it.

Got it, looks like it's a matter of replacing the door seals on a 2011 Honda Civic. I might try my hand at it by looking the steps up on Youtube first. Is there anything else that could contribute to it? Maybe something around the windshield like in the third picture?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You know what, I just answered my own question.

Some sort of weather stripping along the windshield has separated from the body, and it's opened up a hole that water flows into. Apparently it's kind of a pain to replace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo25FJl5EUE

:negative: Maybe I can get away with just a bit of duct tape.

This one looks a lot more doable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I99Hqyo2b4M NM I think that's only part of it. Ughhh I'll do more research, thanks guys!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 28, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Motronic posted:

What? That's a lot less than "not ideal" and more like "why the hell would anyone suggest something this dangerous and amazingly stupid".

Sorry, rereading it what I wrote was really dumb. Obviously ever get under anything supported with a bottle jack. What I meant was use jacks to raise it up without getting under anything, then lower it on a single log. And by log I meant a large squared off, like short housing supports that are wider than they are tall.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Windshield leaks are very rare on modern cars because generally the windshield is glued in and the trim is just for looks, sure about that? It's probably the door opening or weatherstripping, especially if the windshield hasn't been replaced recently.

"Modern" in this case means like, made after 1984, too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

Sorry, rereading it what I wrote was really dumb. Obviously ever get under anything supported with a bottle jack. What I meant was use jacks to raise it up without getting under anything, then lower it on a single log. And by log I meant a large squared off, like short housing supports that are wider than they are tall.

Cribbing. You're describing cribbing (kind of, and properly done cribbing is fine). But you're also trying to lift something using bottle jacks and lumber.

This is still a hard no. Especially in the context of someone asking which proper floor jack to buy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kastein posted:

Windshield leaks are very rare on modern cars because generally the windshield is glued in and the trim is just for looks, sure about that? It's probably the door opening or weatherstripping, especially if the windshield hasn't been replaced recently.

"Modern" in this case means like, made after 1984, too.

Sorry, I'm fuckin' hopeless with cars. I guess I might be looking in the wrong place, then? Just to confirm, the part where the windshield's side connects to the body is weathertight, right? And circled in red is what you're figuring is actually letting the water in?

Is that not the same part as this, then? And as a short-term fix until the part comes in, I could just put some duct tape over the holes here?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Sorry, I'm fuckin' hopeless with cars. I guess I might be looking in the wrong place, then? Just to confirm, the part where the windshield's side connects to the body is weathertight, right? And circled in red is what you're figuring is actually letting the water in?

Is that not the same part as this, then? And as a short-term fix until the part comes in, I could just put some duct tape over the holes here?

Yeah, unless you recently had the windshield replaced or damaged, I'd bet it's waterproof. The part with obvious cracks that you're seeing there is likely not the actual leak - it appears to lead under a trim piece above the door (the wide blue portion at the top of the image - tap on it with a finger, I'd put money on it's plastic). If that's the case, it's not actually sealing much / anything - the door seal is what actually keeps the water out.

Duct tape might mitigate a little, but I wouldn't bet on it, and if I can offer some advice - the longer you can go in life without having to clean duct tape (residue) off of a car, the better.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think you could narrow down the source of the leak by running a hose on the suspected entryways. You should be able to distinguish between a windshield leak and a door leak by running the water down the windshield first. Then moving up on the car to the front door.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got it. So the door seal on a Honda Civic is what stops water from leaking in and soaking the A pillar cover? (that part that’s soaked in my photo)

So it’s basically the exact part that’s getting replaced in those videos that I need to fix. Alright, I’ll see if I can hunt those parts down. By the way, when they call parts “right” and “left”, is that from the head-on perspective, or from the driver’s perspective?

vvv thanks!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 29, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Got it. So the door seal on a Honda Civic is what stops water from leaking in and soaking the A pillar cover? (that part that’s soaked in my photo)

So it’s basically the exact part that’s getting replaced in those videos that I need to fix. Alright, I’ll see if I can hunt those parts down. By the way, when they call parts “right” and “left”, is that from the head-on perspective, or from the driver’s perspective?

It’s from the perspective of driving the car. Drivers side is left in the US.

Edit: but come to think of it that doesn’t matter. Left is left, no matter where you’re sitting.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 29, 2021

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I need some information about car/ truck batteries.

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado that I bought as a mobile ham radio truck/storm spotter vehicle. .

I need a new battery for it, as the one in there now is just starting to die.

it would be nice to have a battery that I can run the radio off of for a while without running the truck.

Now I was recommended this battery here
Optima Red Top Battery, Group Size 75/86, 720 CCA but I thought you weren't supposed to use deep cycle batteries as starter batteries?

With this actually be a good battery for what I need or is there another one that I should look at?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nitrogen posted:

Now I was recommended this battery here
Optima Red Top Battery, Group Size 75/86, 720 CCA but I thought you weren't supposed to use deep cycle batteries as starter batteries?
Red tops aren’t deep cycle. If I recall correctly, yellow and blue are.

I’ve been using a red top for 6 years and it hasn’t died despite my best efforts (I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to recharge it from <6v).

It’s definitely weaker than it was, but I’d still trust it for daily use.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

gently caress yeah passed inspection.

Ball joint and sway bar linkage needed changing.

I said just do it because the parts seemed cheap and the mechanic said 1 hr of labour in total, including changing a bunch of bulbs.

But in future, were I to do this myself, is it a tricky thing with lots of swearing without specialised tools, and precise alignment stuff?
Or is it a pretty easy thing to do at home?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Grab a dual battery tray for a dmax. Run a deep cycle with your starter battery. Run an isolator and cut-out switch between the two. Power your radio accessories off of the deep cycle.
I'm personally not a fan of optimas. Interstate and yeet it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Krakkles posted:

Red tops aren’t deep cycle. If I recall correctly, yellow and blue are.

I’ve been using a red top for 6 years and it hasn’t died despite my best efforts (I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to recharge it from <6v).

It’s definitely weaker than it was, but I’d still trust it for daily use.

Ohh.
Today I learned. Thank you. I thought all batteries that had that form factor were deep cycle.
Are Optimas ok in the heat? I live in North Texas where it gets pretty hot.
This is why I like asking stupid questions. I'll possibly do this.

cursedshitbox posted:

Grab a dual battery tray for a dmax. Run a deep cycle with your starter battery. Run an isolator and cut-out switch between the two. Power your radio accessories off of the deep cycle.
I'm personally not a fan of optimas. Interstate and yeet it.

IS there a good writeup on how to do this? I'm pretty handy, but I'm not sure why a battery setup for an Isuzu would be workable for a Silverado. I could just be totally ignorant and missing something though.