Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I think a big reason I wasn't thrilled about Mass Effect was how clearly telegraphed all the combat was but you couldn't do anything about it. You learn almost immediately that the only reason the map has a big area with stuff in it is because there will be a fight in it. So every time I saw big area ahead of me I'd scan around with my gun sight and see if there were any bad guys, see it was clear, and take two steps forwards which triggered the cutscene and when gameplay started again the area was full of bad guys already shooting at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lol I thought a Persona 5 Royal stream on was something I could put on in the background while doing other stuff but I ended up fixating on it like watching an actual movie or TV show lol... I could still probably play it, not like 120 hours is worth anything

exquisite tea posted:

It is kind of a letdown how much world reactivity and dialogue choices have backslid in AAA RPGs since then. At the beginning of the last decade people were talking about what future tech could do for weaving in player choice, now we're all wishing for a game even half as divergent as Mass Effect 2.

The labor in writing scales up pretty badly, and the perceived need for full voice acting and cinematic storytelling amps up the costs... the games that have been able to do that are also the ones that ignore that.

Oh yeah that reminds me that I should play that Werewolf the Apocalypse VN that was in the Humble Monthly and which I thought was the action game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rinkles posted:

would we have this without bioware?

I'll never forget the Witcher 3 dialogue choice where it was like "shove Dijkstra out of the way" but instead of Geralt simply pushing him out of the way, he loving knocks him over, grabs his foot and twists it til it breaks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

I'll never forget the Witcher 3 dialogue choice where it was like "shove Dijkstra out of the way" but instead of Geralt simply pushing him out of the way, he loving knocks him over, grabs his foot and twists it til it breaks.

See also: "glass him" in The Wolf Among Us

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I found Liquid and I was gonna kill him but then he made his whole army go insane :stare:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I think a big reason I wasn't thrilled about Mass Effect was how clearly telegraphed all the combat was but you couldn't do anything about it. You learn almost immediately that the only reason the map has a big area with stuff in it is because there will be a fight in it. So every time I saw big area ahead of me I'd scan around with my gun sight and see if there were any bad guys, see it was clear, and take two steps forwards which triggered the cutscene and when gameplay started again the area was full of bad guys already shooting at me.

They had some kind of story difficulty I wish I had used when playing. Never enjoyed the shooting gallery segments that just kind of felt like they were in the way of the game. Sometimes it made sense and added tension to a moment or the story, but other times it was like "alright this is a videogame and we need to have all this shooting and justify fiddling in menus for numbers"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My life was saved by a guy who's pants are stained with poop, the absolute shame of it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SUNNY THAT IS NOT HOW YOU FRY EGGS SORT YOUR poo poo OUT

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
dont yell at sunny she's been through a lot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

dont yell at sunny she's been through a lot

Someone needs to call social services this is not a stable living environment

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Those eggs are the most impressive things the PS3 ever put out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

downloading the new haunted ps1 demo disc...

i'd already played the loveland demo elsewhere so that leaves 24 others to try

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

stev posted:

It's prerendered (or possibly just straight up video) tho

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

stev posted:

no way, those have to be prerendered

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ahahahaha they just retconned the MGS2 cliffhanger as being total bullshit, amazing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

ahem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

let me tell you something about mgs4,

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo Vamp I guess everyone's invited for this game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo Vamp I guess everyone's invited for this game

yeah it's a good game

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Hey VideoGames how did the other two of those dungeons go?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wuggles posted:

He got through the other two smoothly but Darklurker was tough so he finally moved on for now and did Vendrick and started the DLC. Good fun stream!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mummy sandbox

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

Imagine if AAA studios took those swollen, bloated billion-dollar budgets and thousand-person teams and instead made a dozen mid-budget games instead

that would be pretty cool, I think

I love the early 2000s and late 90s for all the single A and B list developed stuff.

Echo Night Beyond, Chulip, Chibi Robo, Koudelka, Robot Alchemic Drive, Doshin, Under the Skin, there was just so much weird stuff.

Indie games kinda take that roll now, but still, it's nostalgic as hell.

Rarity posted:

Ahahahaha they just retconned the MGS2 cliffhanger as being total bullshit, amazing

Everything to do with MGS2 is the worst crime MGS4 commits.

Relax Or DIE posted:

yeah it's a good game

Too bad it doesn't really introduce any new characters other than Sunny.

Sunny is cool though and I'm glad she's in Rising.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
CAMPBELL'S BANGING ROSE, RAIDEN GOT OWNED :vince:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's definitely something nice about mid budget games compared to shoestring indies, in my mind, though there's a lot of overlap between mid-budget big publisher games and high-budget indies, from big successful kickstarters. The extra budget allows extra scope and voice acting, while still usually being small enough that it can be aimed at a small niche audience and make a profit the developer considers acceptable. And the turnaround time is much faster than either AAA games (which are slow because they're big) or small indie games (which are slow because they don't have many people working on them) so you can churn a lot of them out, and don't have to rely on games as a service monetization--you can just hook the player into buying your next game, too. I really wish that model was industry standard, with the big blockbusters being outliers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The 4-and-beyond version of Raiden is for all intents and purposes a new character

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Rarity posted:

Do you mean the "They've all been dead for a hundred years" thing? Because I think finding out that list they got was bullshit isn't really a retcon. "They were being played all along" is hardly a novel twist for a MGS game

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

It’s always funny to have to tell my fiancee “I’m going to go watch my friend VideoGames play video games”

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol I thought a Persona 5 Royal stream on was something I could put on in the background while doing other stuff but I ended up fixating on it like watching an actual movie or TV show lol... I could still probably play it, not like 120 hours is worth anything

I say this every time someone says they don't wanna sit through all of P5 just to get to the new ending but P5R has so much stuff new stuff littered in every single scene that it's basically like playing the game for the first time again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

haveblue posted:

The 4-and-beyond version of Raiden is for all intents and purposes a new character

MGS2 ends with Raiden deciding to forge his own path, stop trying to emulate Snake, and his own man. So it makes sense that the next you see him he's very different. Especially since he was already on the path towards ninja in MGS2 what with his cartwheels and HF sword.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You might say that Raiden learned the "rules of nature"

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khanstant posted:

Seems like the Open World game formula has become so rote it's inevitable that eventually making them will become really streamlined in some development software. The tools indie devs have today to repaidly create functioning games and basic mechanics are pretty impressive considering how much work and how long it once was to even set up a simple 3d space to platform in or whatever. I don't know if there will be a straight up OpenWorldMaker2000, but surely making Open World games easily creatable through diff game engines seems like a feature set any of them would wanna have around. Then again there's also a ton of work that can't be streamlined the same way or where you're always gonna want or need someone whose sole job is doing that one thing, like cutscene animation, or other things that might take all-development to complete.

The thing with the post-GTA3 open worlds is they have a lot of content, and tools can only get you so far with that. The solution for that, that was already used by open worlds long before that, is procedural generation but you have to be willing to tolerate sameness, and for that matter Ubi and Insomniac using large scale procedural generation for their environments merely makes the load bearable for even big teams.

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 28, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't play a ton of these AAA western blockbusters but I definitely prefer the Bethesda approach of giving you something to find in just about every direction to the Ubisoft approach of "here's three quests, marked on your map. You can do them in any order cause they're all the same level. You have to walk to them through a big world, but there's nothing to see along the way besides scenery"

That might be an overgeneralization from the single Ubisoft open world game I've played (AC Odyssey) but I hated it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

wuggles posted:

I did manage all dungeons but that last boss was too tricky for me currently. The way they split into two and I could not focus on them well. Though after everything else I faced I feel like I could take them on again right now :)

I also had a lot of trouble with Vendrick but on the time I did it I held my breath for so long that I got lightheaded after I finished :D

Plus I did the memories got the dlc keys and am midway through DLC one. :3: I think I was causing pains for Regy and some other people because my healing and tactics today was really really shoddy. I order to help them I tried playing more slowly and thoughtfully and actually make some progress so perhaps I should have done that from the start! Hahah

Plus I have to play DS3 as dex speed character in prep for Sekiro.

Thank you for joining me though and everyone else here who came to watch. I cannot believe how easy it is to suddenly find 6 hours has passed in these games. They are captivating and I have a blast with them!!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
darklurker is a camera boss so i can't fault you there

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Darklurker's move where it shoots the dark orb through portals is bullshit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dark Souls 2 has a fascination with bosses with extremely lovely death runs, including Darklurker

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DOS2 has successfully won me over, and all it took was adding a mod that brings a respec machine to the first major area of the game. No more second-guessing my character build decisions three hours into the game and endlessly restarting until I burn out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
raiden gets peed on in metal gear solid 2