Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BonHair posted:

"The customer is always right" was probably always intended as "just give the fucker his discount, it's not worth your time to argue, even if he's obnoxious and wrong" more than anything.

It was originally "the customers are always right", like, if the aggregate of your customers want to buy jeans even though you think khakis are more stylish, sell jeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The customer is always right is fine when someone doesn't want pickles on their hamburger. Even if you think the burger is better with pickles, just give them what they want.

It doesn't apply when someone sends back their entree after eating 90% of it and demands a full refund because they "didn't like it."

I'm all for customers not putting up with bad service, but some customers just aren't worth the hassle and some are even money losers for the business. When I worked at a grocery store, we would have people that would return produce and other items multiple times a week. The worst offenders ended up being told by the manager to not come back. If the produce, which was totally fine by normal standards, wasn't good enough for the customer, we didn't want to keep throwing it out after the customer returns it and getting no money for it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

There's a pretty interesting wikipedia article on the history of the term. Apparently in Japan, the formulation is "the customer is a god," which sounds like the worst loving thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

There's a pretty interesting wikipedia article on the history of the term. Apparently in Japan, the formulation is "the customer is a god," which sounds like the worst loving thing.

Working retail definitely had me wanting to go Kratos.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

I like that the first and only section of that wiki article is just talking about Falling Down

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

apparently the person who coined the japanese phrase says it’s also been misinterpreted, he clarified later that he didn’t mean the customer is equal to god but that it was more a form of self motivation to do your best work as if it is for god. it’s still some “on my grind!” bullshit but closer to the English meaning in the khakis example above

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doesn't specify which god though. It makes a lot of sense to think of customers as Zeus type gods or just minor trickster types.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The customers are Zagreus, trying to escape the ever-shifting labyrinth that is your store.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I am John Galt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

Doesn't specify which god though. It makes a lot of sense to think of customers as Zeus type gods or just minor trickster types.

The word used in the wiki quote is specifically "kami", and if anime has taught me anything they tend to be assholes

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

The word used in the wiki quote is specifically "kami", and if anime has taught me anything they tend to be assholes

kami is a generic word for god or spirit or whatever

inferis has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Mar 29, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
So are all the boats that are waiting to go thru the canal still hanging out or have they decided to go around Africa?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah the saying is originally about product/service mix not about bending over backwards for unreasonable people

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Chamale posted:

It was originally "the customers are always right", like, if the aggregate of your customers want to buy jeans even though you think khakis are more stylish, sell jeans.

Exactly right. I remember a teacher once explaining that it was a phrase used at Marshall Fields to tell staff to basically don't waste time with upselling. Whatever they say they're here for, give them it and move on to the next customer. Trying to squeeze out a higher commission by persuading the customer into a more expensive purchase will anger them, hold up other customers, and lose you more in sales in the long run. And yet today it's been twisted to mean take all abuse from Karens while trying to push the upsize on everything.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Funniest part is that "Pay attention to me. Get to know me." paragraph. He's describing the modern invasive tracking done by online stores as a thing he wants.

I bet most of the people who share this stuff on their FB feeds ditched their local mom & pop stores immediately once a hypermarket opened in town.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Turkish petrol ad from 1960.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

The only customer-related motto I hear a lot in my workplace is "you don't need to feel sorry for the customer". It's about pricing (we don't sell anything essential, except for coffee).

e: And the coffee is cheap.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Comrade Helicopter strikes again!

https://www.dw.com/en/czech-billionaire-killed-in-alaska-helicopter-crash/a-57035510

quote:

The Czech Republic's richest man, Petr Kellner, has died in a helicopter crash in Alaska, his financial group PPF said on Monday.

The 56-year-old was a towering figure of the Czech post-comunist era and came in at number 68 of Forbes 2020 billionaires, with a net worth of $17.5 billion (€14.8 billion).

Kellner started his business selling copy machines. After the fall of Communism in the former Czechoslovakia, he founded the investment fund PPF in 1991, which he used to buy a controlling stake in the biggest Czech insurer during its privatization.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

"What if we modified the guillotines to have multiple blades, rotate at several hundred RPM, and convinced the aristocracy to pay millions for the privilege of putting themselves in the frame?"

The ghost of Robespierre is lmaoing from hell

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Helicopter pilots working hard to reclaim the "free helicopter rides" alt-right meme.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lobsterminator posted:

Funniest part is that "Pay attention to me. Get to know me." paragraph. He's describing the modern invasive tracking done by online stores as a thing he wants.

I bet most of the people who share this stuff on their FB feeds ditched their local mom & pop stores immediately once a hypermarket opened in town.

He wants the staff to know his order to the point they pull his cigarettes and get them ready before he even makes it to the counter

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elman posted:

Helicopter pilots working hard to reclaim the "free helicopter rides" alt-right meme.

"B-b-but I had to pay for my helicopter ride"
"Hah! Gotcha!"
:luckyducky:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

nobel peace prize to the person who first started selling helicopters to millionaires

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BonHair posted:

"The customer is always right" was probably always intended as "just give the fucker his discount, it's not worth your time to argue, even if he's obnoxious and wrong" more than anything.

It's even simpler than that: "stock what's popular"

I might think funko pops are dumb as hell (they are), but customers want them so stocking them is "right"

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

beepo posted:

This reminds me of some ill-conceived post from years ago, likely on Reddit, about how to buy a car like a boss!! It involved emailing all the local dealerships an elaborate questionnaire that would take each dealer hours to complete to pull reports, take custom photos, provide the dealers invoice price, and on and on.

If you have never bought a car, the post might seem like a great plan. Putting the onus on the dealers to win your business? Brilliant!

The only problem is that in reality, salesmen at a dealership don't want to waste time on people that aren't likely to actually pull the trigger on a purchase. Even if you try to call or email in a single specific question about a car, they probably won't bother giving an answer and will instead try to get you to come in person. It's annoying if you just want to confirm a detail, but if you aren't willing to come by in person, you probably aren't that close to pulling the trigger.

It is a wild blind spot where people cannot see things from the businesses perspective. If a dealership that isn't extremely desperate for sales gets some burdensome questionnaire (that is also going to every other dealership in town), they have no reason to believe this person will result in an actual purchase so why waste hours investing in some random high maintenance jabroni? Toss the questionnaire in the trash, or maybe share it with your coworkers for a laugh. Someone else that is actually ready to spend money will probably come by so save your time and resources for them.

People that unironically believe that "the customer is always right" is a reasonable statement and good advice for businesses to follow must never have had to deal with the public. Real boomer brain thinking that business and more specifically people in customer service roles should bend over backwards to win the business of some random pain in the rear end. Even if you are willing to spend money, if you are a hassle to deal with, why should anyone bother with you if there are others ready to spend the same money and not require a bunch of time and resources to play to their ego?

yeah this is a dumb way of buying a car that won't work, I agree.

that being said, wtf, i never expected a polemic from someone defending car dealerships here considering that they are literally the embodiment of capitalism.png. A car dealership is basically a psychological warfare gaslighting factory where they run you through multiple chambers of bullshit hoping you crack along the way from pressure. The whole movement from talking to the salesperson, to then going to the financial office to sign everything off, and all the back and forth is purely designed to throw you off balance and ensure you can't make a logical decision on should be just a straightforward sale as any other. There's nothing "customer service" about most sales reps, they are purely predatorial trying to put you into the worst financial positions possible to suck you dry.

Like, if car dealerships were actually like any other place to buy things and dealers were just "hey, I have no personal stake in this Im just here to talk you through the features" then fine, but car dealerships embody the worst of "grind sales" culture bullshit where they weaponize rapport building to get people to buy things they don't want or need.

boggles my mind that anyone would try and defend that crap here.

Oysters Autobio has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Mar 29, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

b-but it's a mom & pop psychological warfare gaslighting factory where they run you through multiple chambers of bullshit hoping you crack along the way from pressure

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Turkish petrol ad from 1960.

There should be a thread with just the worst advertising visuals of all time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lib and let die posted:

It's even simpler than that: "stock what's popular"

I might think funko pops are dumb as hell (they are), but customers want them so stocking them is "right"

Still dumb and evil because by this logic business should embrace bitcoin.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
bitcoin is anything but popular lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Do your research and know what you want before you ever walk in the door? It's the same as buying anything else really.

Not all car salesman work on commission also. I think some brands won't allow it, maybe the korean ones?

I know a boomer that will drop a bunch of cash on the table and say this is what I'm paying for this car on the lot and every time the salesman doesn't give in they take money off the pile. It's the dumbest game and it takes them multiple dealerships and a poo poo ton of time to get what they want.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

500excf type r posted:

Do your research and know what you want before you ever walk in the door? It's the same as buying anything else really.

Not all car salesman work on commission also. I think some brands won't allow it, maybe the korean ones?

I know a boomer that will drop a bunch of cash on the table and say this is what I'm paying for this car on the lot and every time the salesman doesn't give in they take money off the pile. It's the dumbest game and it takes them multiple dealerships and a poo poo ton of time to get what they want.

This is like some amped up version of the guy putting five bucks on the table at a diner and telling the server "every time I see the bottom of my coffee cup, I'm taking away a dollar"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The vast majority of car lots in the USA still absolutely work on commission. They also do as much as possible to nickel and dime the salespeople's commissions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

500excf type r posted:

This is evidence that you don't know what you're talking about.

Every single facet of vehicle buying is a massively obfuscated scam. Not saying you shouldn't do all the preparation you can, but it is in no way like buying anything else normal people will ever buy.

House buying is complicated but even that is more transparent

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Take, for example, the doc fee on every vehicle purchase. Some states will restrict how much a dealership may charge. Some states do not. The doc fee is complete bullshit. They aren't processing any paperwork or doing anything with that money. It's pure profit for the dealership and no one but the dealership gets a cut of it. Some dealers in Florida will charge nearly $1000 for the doc fee. This is not the fee for getting the title in your name. They charge for tag and title separately.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's a quick rundown on salesman commission: Dealership will say "you get 25% of commissionable gross profit" to salespeople to get them to join the team. While they aren't selling cars, they're paid minimum wage. Since they're in a pure commission position, any minimum wage payments made will put the salepeople into "the draw" where they have to pay the dealership back the minimum wage payments out of future commissions.

Commissionable gross changes depending on the dealership, but it is rarely ever just sale price minus acquisition price. First and foremost, almost every dealership will have packs or lot fees. This is just a chunk of money on each car that the dealer keeps all profit from. Packs range from a few hundred bucks to a few thousand depending on the dealership. Many times when a salesperson is saying the dealership isn't making profit on a sale, they mean there is no commissionable gross profit. The dealership always makes a profit. When there is no commissionable gross, the salesperson is paid a mini or a hundred to two hundred bucks.

In addition to packs, car dealers will bill any maintenance, car washes, etc. against the salesperson's commissionable gross.

Here's an example. Dealership has a used car for sale for $10,000. Car dealer gave $6,500 for trade in value of the car. Car salesman sells the car for sticker price to a rube. The net from the car sale is $3,500.

Before the salesperson can calculate their profit, though, they have to remove all the packs and charges. This dealership has a $1000 pack (not at all uncommon). They also charge $75 for a car wash, $50 for fuel, $250 for "photos and advertising," $500 for standard reconditioning, and lets say they had to do some repairs to this car as well that they would bill full price to a customer at $750. That's $2,625 in charges to the car before the salesman can touch profit. Note that none of these charges reflect the actual expenditure for anything done with the car. Commissionable gross is now $875 so the salesperson gets $218.75.

But wait, we're not done. Now that the salesperson is done, the customer goes back to talk to the financing people. Financing is the main source of dealership money. Here they will try to pressure the person into a car loan even if they have outside funding or cash. This is because the dealership gets a cut. If a dealership is offering you 4.5% APR on your used car, the bank is actually offering 2.5% and the dealership gets that extra 2% in their pocket. This is also when the final optional items are sprung on the customer such as extended warranties. Any negotiation in prices on these products will reduce the salesperson's commissionable gross. F&I people are paid commission on financing points and extra products they sell, so they don't give a gently caress about the salesperson's gross. This is also when they'll drop the doc fee along with TT&L charges. Once again, if the buyer is insisting that they will not pay more than $10,000 out the door, all of these things just reduce commissionable gross. In this case, the doc fee is $799, TTL $850, and the buyer finances at 4.0%. Buyer is financing everything with no money down for 72 months, but negotiates a total of $11,000 out the door.

Now lets see how the money breaks down after the F&I trip. Prior to that, the salesman thought he had $218.75 coming for the sale of this car. Now lets take a look:

$11,000 is the amount financed so the dealership is gonna get a check from the bank for this to start.
To figure out commission, now, we have to start over and take out the following:
$850 in TTL (these are taxes/fees to the state and do not really change)
$799 in doc fee
$2,625 in packs and other charges

The commissionable gross on this car is now only $226. This means the salesperson will get a mini for the deal and get a flat $50.

The car dealership actual costs and profit breakdown look like this, though:

$11,000 for sale of the car plus $675 for their portion of the financing charge means they received $11,675 for the car.
The deductions for the dealership are:
$50 mini payment to salesperson
$168.75 to the F&I guy for selling the financing
$100 in labor to pay people to wash the car and do any maintenance work on it
$100 in parts to do the same.
$850 in TTL.

This leaves $10,407.25 which means the dealership itself makes around $4k on the car that they made no commissionable gross.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Note that while all of these features may not apply and new car calculations are slightly different, this is generally how the car dealership business works. Everyone not paid commission is minimum wage. Mechanics and such are also paid commission for the work they bill. Dealerships generate decent to amazing profits for the owners and do everything possible to limit how much they pay out to everyone else. Salespeople and Finance people are at odds with each other because they have competing profit motivations. F&I will zero out commissionable gross to close a deal especially if they're loving someone on financing. Dealerships that are financing people at the prime rate (aka credit card rates) are getting massive payments based on the interest charged to the customer.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Bloop posted:

This is evidence that you don't know what you're talking about.

Every single facet of vehicle buying is a massively obfuscated scam. Not saying you shouldn't do all the preparation you can, but it is in no way like buying anything else normal people will ever buy.

House buying is complicated but even that is more transparent

I have bought a bunch of cars and motorcycles from dealers over the years and every time I went in, I knew exactly what I wanted and the in-person visit was just to test drive and buy it.

There's dumb poo poo involved with the financing, sure, but you don't have to say yes to any of their poo poo. It's their job to sell it and they make it hard to say no but there is nothing forcing buyers to be uninformed about their tens of thousands of dollars purchases in advance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
there’s much more dumb stuff than just financing. i’ve dug through all the nitty gritty with multiple car dealers.

knowing how finance works can help you get a better deal. likewise knowing what charges and feed are complete horseshit empower you.

the number one thing to know, though, is that every person there is just trying to use you to make money and doesn’t give a gently caress about you beyond that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

500excf type r posted:

theres a local dealership chain here that advertises no haggling/no commissions and a boomer coworker was complaining that he went there and tried to haggle and they wouldnt budge from the listed price on the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my old boss had a pretty good way of doing it, he would send an email or fax to like twenty fleet managers, saying here's the car i want, i don't care about the color, what's your best price and then he would go buy the one that offered him the lowest price