Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hey man I still watch superhero movies and some anime, so who am I to judge. I recently watched an anime called "jujutsu kaisen" about people fighting curse-monsters and I didn't hate it. I would never admit this to any real people (non-internet-people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

In the nicest way possible - if someone follows wrestling as a child and carries it forward into adulthood they may have issues. Maybe not they probably just really like wrestling but also its a bit weird for an adult to care about who wins wrestlemania no?

They're just soap operas.

I was going to say male soap operas but that's not fair but you get what I'm getting at.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There is no media that people enjoy that other people will not make fun of.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gaius Marius posted:

Boxing is super fun to watch but is almost inscrutable at a higher level unless you watched it for years, and the sport has been cannibalizing itself for decades with how it's set up.

I'd like boxing if it was more like the movies. Real boxing has too much boring stuff like "defense" and points instead of just trying to knock each other out. Same with MMA - the reality of it is always a big letdown and I don't find any of it worth watching.

also re: wrestling - I get it, but it doesn't really do anything for me. Also it's always on too late at night. Wrestling video games can be pretty fun though.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Boxing is two meatheads thumping each other in order to determine whose dick is the least tiny.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fighting is very pure and simple. It's two people struggling, two people trying to overcome a challenge through technique, talent and willpower. There are no gimmicks with balls, sticks or tools. Just your own body vs the other guys. You're dressed down to your basics and you can only rely on yourself.

It's very entertaining.

Like a really good fight between two experienced top level athletes? It can be completely enthralling

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

the return of beards in the late 2000s was really unfortunate. i would like to see a return to clean shaven culture

ya beards are gross and for fat guys

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Aramek posted:

They're just soap operas.

I was going to say male soap operas but that's not fair but you get what I'm getting at.

Absolutely, and i know this doesn't make me sound like a nice person but its very difficult not to think "yes i enjoyed wrestling too but then i hit puberty".

Then again people probably feel the exact same way about videogames. gently caress these people.

Basically no-one should seek moral high ground by mocking something that interests another person but we do it anyway.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zzulu posted:

Hey man I still watch superhero movies and some anime, so who am I to judge. I recently watched an anime called "jujutsu kaisen" about people fighting curse-monsters and I didn't hate it. I would never admit this to any real people (non-internet-people)

Why not? Own that you like things

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
everyone tell me the absolute best anime they've ever watched - i'm kinda anime curious (only really seen cowboy bebop and dragonball z), i'm only giving it one chance though, if it sucks i'm never watching anime again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tatami galaxy

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Princess Mononoke.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

Tatami galaxy

11 episodes hmm we could have an early winner

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Mine is a movie, so would be quicker to watch. :coolfish: Also widely considered good by critics etc.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

doverhog posted:

Princess Mononoke.

It's either this or Spirited Away.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

everyone tell me the absolute best anime they've ever watched - i'm kinda anime curious (only really seen cowboy bebop and dragonball z), i'm only giving it one chance though, if it sucks i'm never watching anime again

akagi

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808. Three episodes of about 45 minutes each. Make sure you watch the version with the UK soundtrack, it kicks rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlhSd1zibnI

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i didn't like almost every anime i tried to watch :( (apart from Akira, and like the first few episodes of Death Note.) i generally like the aesthetics and the art, but everything else just doesn't seem to click with me

i also didn't like every single superhero film i tried to watch :( (apart from kinda sorta liking Snyder's Watchmen a little bit, but it's def a case of Less Bad for me.)

i kind of like pro wrestling though. but in this sort of passive, drive-by way. like if i see it on tv or if i see a random video of it posted somewhere, i'll watch it and i'll think it's cool but i don't actively go looking to watch it. it's just stupid and i like it :3: could do with less horrible people in leadership though

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah I feel like I should like anime, but I really hate all the campy and childish stuff and all filler episodes.

What I’m saying is I’m the guy who liked cowboy bebop but hated Ed. I’m weird and this opinion is astonishingly unpopular whenever I express it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sweevo posted:

Boxing is two meatheads thumping each other in order to determine whose dick is the least tiny.

Dudes rock

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

then you get punched Cte! No.

I have some myoclonic jerks when I’m tired, it could be worse. I’m just speaking to the “people only do it because they want to hurt people and it’s thuggish poo poo” attitude.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah I feel like I should like anime

yeah same here, anime is something that a lot of my friends enjoy and i kinda wish i would too, but nope

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Even women’s boxing?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Even women’s boxing?

Especially women's boxing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah I feel like I should like anime, but I really hate all the campy and childish stuff and all filler episodes.

What I’m saying is I’m the guy who liked cowboy bebop but hated Ed. I’m weird and this opinion is astonishingly unpopular whenever I express it.

There's plenty of anime that should suit your needs. Gundam Thunderbolt, Monster, Kaiji. "Filler" episodes are only really a thing in Shonen anime like Dragon Ball Z and the like

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Mob Psycho 100

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Monster is like 80% filler. It's story is also really low grade. Not like a hbo like a starz show

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have no idea how anyone could actually like Monster. I tried watching it once and I would have seriously had more fun watching wood be pressure treated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Monster is like 80% filler. It's story is also really low grade. Not like a hbo like a starz show

I've only read the manga, does the anime add stuff?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No idea if they added anything but it's a hell of a lot faster to read a manga then to watch 100 hours of boring anime

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
the 20th Century Boys movies were terrible too, maybe Urasawa's stuff just doesn't adapt well.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

strongest man kurosawa and akagi are some of the funniest/most memorable stuff ive read/watched

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

akira is well made but its also boring poo poo about some kids on motorcycles shouting at robots

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
HP Lovecraft was actually less racist than the average white American man of his time and the people who think the opposite should do a little research into how insane things were back then.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

HP Lovecraft was actually less racist than the average white American man of his time and the people who think the opposite should do a little research into how insane things were back then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

This is just completely untrue. Lovecraft's personal life is fascinating and explains a lot about why he felt the way he did and why he wrote the way he did. It's absolutely something any lovecraft fan should look into to add to the depths of their understanding of his work.

Being like, oh he wasn't super racist for the time is some real bullshit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

seriously i dont get why anyone cares about lovecraft. i tried to read it and its so boring like holy poo poo id rather read warhammer fanfics than this. oogie boogie rear end octopus monster

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I think Lovecraft doesn't resonate as much anymore because the unknowable horrors represented the emerging godless, non-anthropocentric view of reality and we're just immersed in that now. So it's not scary or disturbing. I'm dissolving in Chthulhu's intestine irl and I don't care

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i honestly don't even think it's tied to a particular period, the unknowability of certain things like our own motivations and conscious minds or why anything exists is a constant in human history but a big octopus man just isn't a good way to represent that. even if it's supposed to be scary because it's indifferent to mankind a big octopus man just isn't a good representation of that, it isn't even actually indifferent in the story, it's actively malicious

solaris basically has the same theme but done in a much better way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Red Line. For a series it's hard to beat 90's Berserk.