Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sydin posted:

1. Lindsay put out a tweet saying there should be a genre for YA fiction that's ripping off Avatar the Last Airbender, and pointed to a particular movie written by Asians as an example (Raya and the Last Dragon).

A Walt Disney Animation Studios movie that was conceived, directed, and written by white people who then brought POC on board later to “touch up” the script.
People really falling for the whole “woke Disney” schtick hard.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Augus posted:

A Walt Disney Animation Studios movie that was conceived, directed, and written by white people who then brought POC on board later to “touch up” the script.

was it? i mean that wouldnt shock me at all but i am curious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

i dont think the criticism was 'raya is woke dont compare it to avatar,' the criticism was 'not everything that has asian influences is the same'

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endorph posted:

i dont think the criticism was 'raya is woke dont compare it to avatar,' the criticism was 'not everything that has asian influences is the same'

Avatar and stuff inspired by it use a mash-up of various Asian cultures as a backdrop for a story rooted in western Hero’s Journey tropes. Raya and the Last Dragon uses a mash-up of various Asian cultures as a backdrop for a story rooted in western Hero’s Journey tropes. It’s a valid comparison between two American cartoons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah. i think my only comparison is "all the nations are at war and the hero wants to bring peace" also i have seen neither so i am wrong on both probably.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Augus posted:

There were still more Asians involved in the screenwriting process than AtLA's none, and this is what the original person who touched all this off was mad about in Lindsay's comparison.

lmao I don't think Disney is woke cool your jets.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like the tweets are deleted now because account deleted, but in that thread linsey brings up other shows in that same genre definition that weren't asian-influenced. The comparison was in story structure and execution, not cultural mashup. Why explaining this wasn't the entirety of her response is beyond me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sydin posted:

There were still more Asians involved in the screenwriting process than AtLA's none, and this is what the original person who touched all this off was mad about in Lindsay's comparison.

The infamously whitewashed Last Airbender movie had an Indian-American writer/director/producer who hand-picked the actors he wanted to be in the movie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Augus posted:

The infamously whitewashed Last Airbender movie had an Indian-American writer/director/producer who hand-picked the actors he wanted to be in the movie.

Okay, and? You do realize I'm not the person who tweeted and Lindsay about this right? I was just summarizing the events for a poster who was asking for one, not trying to make any kind of statement on the validity of the complaint.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man contra's such a piece of poo poo. Oh the inconvenience TO ME of people talking about some meme man being a violent abuser, aaahhhh the dreaded cancel culture, coming for our hard working... child kidnapping rapists? Ohhhh it's so terrible.

"Accountability scary" - Except wrapped in more dumbass statements each time

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Yardbomb posted:

Man contra's such a piece of poo poo. Oh the inconvenience TO ME of people talking about some meme man being a violent abuser, aaahhhh the dreaded cancel culture, coming for our hard working... child kidnapping rapists? Ohhhh it's so terrible.

Well, I understand not wanting to be involved or see much of it, but the answer to that is to just not get involved or pay much attention to it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, that’s the poo poo I hate. Just because some cancel poo poo is dumb doesn’t make it all awful. Like just ignore the dumb or bad faith poo poo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

except the fascists arnt acting in good faith at all and will shoot you in the back of the head the second. so pushing minorities and their plights under the bus just because of corpo woke culture exists and some hope that "well this time the fascists and reactionary fucks like ted cruz, will work with us" is loving stupid. i am sorry. and no offense but your logic leans pretty strasserite.

I didn't mean to imply that we should dismiss minority plights. I'm sorry that it came across that way.

I'm just sick of the way things are right now, and I want there to be some radical change. I don't even know what a Strasserite is (and I don't really care to know), so I'm just going to drop out of this discussion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I didn't mean to imply that we should dismiss minority plights. I'm sorry that it came across that way.

I'm just sick of the way things are right now, and I want there to be some radical change. I don't even know what a Strasserite is (and I don't really care to know), so I'm just going to drop out of this discussion.

It’s basically nazibol poo poo. Also it’s fine, I get it.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Real psychic damage was done when she was held to even 1% of account

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

Not disagreeing with your main point but the hilariously obvious nepotism with the white girl playing Katara showing up in blockbusters for a hot minute is always something I remember with the ATLA movie.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nichola Peltz? Is she supposed to be the poor man's Hailee Steinfeld?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Nichola Peltz? Is she supposed to be the poor man's Hailee Steinfeld?

quote:

Peltz was born in Westchester County, New York, the daughter of billionaire businessman Nelson Peltz and model Claudia Heffner.[3]

:v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Not disagreeing with your main point but the hilariously obvious nepotism with the white girl playing Katara showing up in blockbusters for a hot minute is always something I remember with the ATLA movie.

The whole production was a mess for a million reasons, M Night being a terrible choice for a blockbuster SFX franchise starter being one. The ATLA creators have basically been overridden or pushed out of the movie and live action TV adaptations of the show because someone in charge just ignored them and wanted to do something different i.e "mass marketable"

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

mycot posted:

I don't think I ever saw her in anything other than a Transformers movie and ATLA?

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 28, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

One of the Fun Facts about labor history I find kinda disturbing in a cultural way is how redneck, which originally described striking miners who were radically pro-solidarity in anti-racism, is now a term used to describe a specific stereotype of impoverished racists from the country.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

I remember hearing that after the civil rights movement, a lot of middle class white people stopped being racist because they started exclusively associating racism with poor people. In other words, they didn't stop being racist because it was the right thing to do, they stopped being racist because they didn't want their neighbors thinking they were white trash.

Really bleak and depressing when you think about it. Also explains some of our current social dynamics.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I remember hearing that after the civil rights movement, a lot of middle class white people stopped being racist

hold up

they didn't stop, they just didn't advertise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at this point i just feel bad for contra. like every week she makes a giant thread about how shes quitting twitter and then she comes back to yell about cancel culture some more. someone desperately needs to install a siteblocker for her that they dont give her the passwords for.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

at this point i just feel bad for contra. like every week she makes a giant thread about how shes quitting twitter and then she comes back to yell about cancel culture some more. someone desperately needs to install a siteblocker for her that they dont give her the passwords for.

Yeah. Like just take a break and ignore drama or controversies and poo poo. I mean I am a hypocrite because I follow poo poo at times because I am a dickhead who laughes at assholes and weird drama.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

pentyne posted:

hold up

they didn't stop, they just didn't advertise.

No arguments here, and that’s a better way of putting it too.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

When she comes up in this context, my mind flashes back to her describing her need to read people insulting her on 4chan until she blocked it, and how she felt it was a type of emotional self-harm. It seems genuinely a little off, like she really likes the negative attention.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

In other news

https://twitter.com/theblvckhorned/status/1376195069557018629

Oh Contra, her and her fear of cancel culture!

laugh track

Contra first terf buck angel and now child rapists

Also kind of posting to make sure this poo poo ain’t glossed over because you know

Stanning child rapist kind of bad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

When she comes up in this context, my mind flashes back to her describing her need to read people insulting her on 4chan until she blocked it, and how she felt it was a type of emotional self-harm. It seems genuinely a little off, like she really likes the negative attention.

The internet is definitely self-harm and some of us share the same temptation as that demon core guy who couldn’t stop playing with the fissionable halves of an atomic bomb by lowering and raising them over and over again with screwdrivers. It sounds cynical to tell her to get therapy, but if the person she’s seeing isn’t succeeding in getting her off twitter, she needs to find somebody else.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'd feel maybe bad for her if she wasn't being a harmful idiot that keeps pushing ~CANCELLED~ garbage in all the worst ways, like being criticized for caping for terfs and truscum and poo poo is something you can entirely avoid, by not doing that!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Checking her twitter Contra just going in about cancel culture.

Not one post saying sorry for stanning child rapist.

Idk bro last time the gop did that pedo poo poo some people bothered to point out them doubling down was stupid would be hypocritical to say otherwise here

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/evan_b_3/status/1376216465683197952

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Yardbomb posted:

Honestly the part that annoys me, personally, most about her behaviour in that regard is that she was fine with it when she was using her huge userbase to harass tiny nobodies off of entire social media platforms for criticizing her. But that criticism in turn was completely and utterly unacceptable.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Annointed posted:

Not one post saying sorry for stanning child rapist.

vaguely alluding to something, and then deleting the tweet, is absolutely the textbook definition of stanning. i’ve never seen such a stan. and chudlike too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pentyne posted:

The whole production was a mess for a million reasons, M Night being a terrible choice for a blockbuster SFX franchise starter being one. The ATLA creators have basically been overridden or pushed out of the movie and live action TV adaptations of the show because someone in charge just ignored them and wanted to do something different i.e "mass marketable"

It’s still incredible to me just how poorly thought out the action sequences in that movie were

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

vaguely alluding to something, and then deleting the tweet, is absolutely the textbook definition of stanning. i’ve never seen such a stan. and chudlike too

Tell us how you really feel

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CYBEReris posted:

One of the Fun Facts about labor history I find kinda disturbing in a cultural way is how redneck, which originally described striking miners who were radically pro-solidarity in anti-racism, is now a term used to describe a specific stereotype of impoverished racists from the country.
That's just part of the capitalist machinery. "Luddite" for example is now used as a pejorative for people that are against technological advancement, but the movement it refers to were fine with technological advancement in the realm of worker productivity and labour-saving while their smashing of machines was a protest against the increasing use of automation by industrialists to lower pay and conditions for workers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1375118758033960961

Post is literally still there learn to google mate

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

couldnt find it but that’s still obviously not “stanning” lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Or how cynic means pessimistic rear end in a top hat, when the original cynic supported the perfectly reasonable and highly desirable lifestyle of masturbating all day and living in a barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Augus posted:

It’s still incredible to me just how poorly thought out the action sequences in that movie were
the earthbender floating rock scene is one of my favorite awkward movie moments ever

you've got these dudes synchronized bending all dramatically and then this tiny-rear end rock slowly floats across the screen completely deflating all dramatic tension in the shot