Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also holy poo poo the desktop app from Oculus is terrible, trying to install that thing is a loving minefield. The fact a lot of people's first instruction is "Yeah, turn off your Firewall and literally any Windows Defender option that could be running" is hilarious. There is some sketchy Russian spyware I would trust more than those fuckers. At least I can trust the Russian poo poo to actually operate when it's stealing my information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Mulva posted:

Also holy poo poo the desktop app from Oculus is terrible, trying to install that thing is a loving minefield. The fact a lot of people's first instruction is "Yeah, turn off your Firewall and literally any Windows Defender option that could be running" is hilarious. There is some sketchy Russian spyware I would trust more than those fuckers. At least I can trust the Russian poo poo to actually operate when it's stealing my information.

Counterpoint: I've been using the Oculus desktop application since the CV1 launched and never had to do anything special for it to run just fine.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reshade is finally adding VR support so now you can finally compensate for the low resolution and blurry anti-aliasing a fair bit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stormangel posted:

Counterpoint: I've been using the Oculus desktop application since the CV1 launched and never had to do anything special for it to run just fine.

You're installing everything into the C: Drive I see, because the official support pages literally make you use console commands if you want to install it into any other disk drive and it's really annoying.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I have no idea why they'd force people to do that, unless it's some dumb streamlining thing where they don't think people are capable of changing install location...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

I have no idea why they'd force people to do that, unless it's some dumb streamlining thing where they don't think people are capable of changing install location...

Last time we had a discussion about it some facebook stan who's friend was responsible for developing that poo poo said that it was because of "security concerns".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

What's the consensus on Cosmordread? Looks like my kind of thing but it looks like it'd get repetitive real fast and the visuals look pretty meh. But...space horror rules so.

No idea, but I just noticed is on Viveport so I will check out this night.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Desdinova posted:

My Rift S worked nearly perfect, whereas my Quest 2 via Link keeps disconnecting every so often. The Rift S is a solid choice.

I use my Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop because I just couldn't get cable to work as reliably. I'm sitting on my desk with a cable connected to the power adapter and I still use VD. Part of the problem may be my old motherboard with a separate controller for USB3 and the unofficial cable, but a 80€ router was an easier solution for the problem.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I find Link to be kind of unwieldy compared to VD, which runs as smooth as butter, lack of dual display functionality not withstanding (and it's a single button press to toggle screens). The environments are really nice too, especially the day/evening apartment ones. Also, Steam really doesn't play nice with Quest 2 and Link for me; going from Steam to Link then back to Steam or stepping outside the Guardian boundary completely fucks with my position, with the view spun as much as 180 degrees from where it just was, and using the view reset in Link doesn't do anything, I have to quit out of SteamVR and Link entirely. No idea why.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
So for me changinging sound setting in SteamVR makes it lose connection to the base stations somehow? Restarting SteamVR fixes it, but basically having to go through each option I want to be changed and wait for a complete SteamVR restart is pretty annoying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I find Link to be kind of unwieldy compared to VD, which runs as smooth as butter, lack of dual display functionality not withstanding (and it's a single button press to toggle screens). The environments are really nice too, especially the day/evening apartment ones. Also, Steam really doesn't play nice with Quest 2 and Link for me; going from Steam to Link then back to Steam or stepping outside the Guardian boundary completely fucks with my position, with the view spun as much as 180 degrees from where it just was, and using the view reset in Link doesn't do anything, I have to quit out of SteamVR and Link entirely. No idea why.

Have you used Link somewhat recently? My network setup is not always ideal so I default to Link and a lot of what you're describing I used to see but haven't for a few updates.

Really, both have pluses and minuses and have bits about it that are a little hacky so its really nice to have both options.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

You're installing everything into the C: Drive I see, because the official support pages literally make you use console commands if you want to install it into any other disk drive and it's really annoying.

You can install your game library anywhere. You can go into settings and add a library location.

Stormangel posted:

I've also used the software since CV1 and had no major problems. (early ownership there was some weirdness with usb2/3 stuff with oculus reporting stuff wrong. so be faaair)

Jack Trades posted:

Last time we had a discussion about it some facebook stan who's friend was responsible for developing that poo poo said that it was because of "security concerns".

Oh. Its just facebook hate. Nevermind.

MrOnBicycle posted:

The main app has to be installed to C.

Theres a few other VR apps that have similar issues living on other drives. LIV for example is one of those applications. Yes you can tell it to install anywhere else because its a steam library title, but its entirely possible it wont work right living in another directory. Has to do with that app living on the same drive as the apps it has to interact with which also it has to interact with steamvr so something something drive letters something something file paths. Personally, Ive had no issues there, Others have.

Its dumb. But whatever.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 28, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

You can install your game library anywhere. You can go into settings and add a library location.

The main app has to be installed to C.

I like how you twisted what I said to pretend that I was wrong but then repeated my point in the same post, lmao.

EbolaIvory posted:

Theres a few other VR apps that have similar issues living on other drives. LIV for example is one of those applications. Yes you can tell it to install anywhere else because its a steam library title, but its entirely possible it wont work right living in another directory. Has to do with that app living on the same drive as the apps it has to interact with which also it has to interact with steamvr so something something drive letters something something file paths. Personally, Ive had no issues there, Others have.

And this is something you're pulling out of your rear end wholesale.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 28, 2021

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Tip posted:

I own a Rift S and a Quest 2 and I'd say the S is only worth it if you play on the PC a lot and you have an older graphics card. My 980ti struggles a bit with the Q2, I think mainly because it doesn't have the improved video encoding of later generation chips.

Wait, I'm confused. Wouldn't a better graphics card make the S more attractive, given that the S relies on it and the Quest 2 doesn't? I know that's one reason I'm considering keeping my S instead of trading it for a Quest 2 (the other being that untethered gameplay isn't a feature I care about.)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Wouldn't a better graphics card make the S more attractive, given that the S relies on it and the Quest 2 doesn't? I know that's one reason I'm considering keeping my S instead of trading it for a Quest 2 (the other being that untethered gameplay isn't a feature I care about.)

Playing games on Quest tethered to pc via Link still requires the games to be rendered by your pc gpu just like any other headset, but also requires that gpu to encode a compressed video stream which is sent to the Quest over usb. Afaik, the Quest onboard processor isn't doing any of the heavy lifting. The benefit over the S would be the resolution increase more than anything else.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

And this is something you're pulling out of your rear end wholesale.

Is it?

How about joining the LIV discord and talking to the Devs about it? I mean. This all comes from them, and the lead developer is one of my best friends so its not like I'm making poo poo up. This is coming directly from this team, and its been a bullet point in troubleshooting for a while. So if this issue exists/existed within this system of software, then its entirely possible edge case bullshit is why its like this on oculus as well.

Did I say it wasn't annoying?

Just kinda, not a huge issue and you can install the game library anywhere you want soooo.

EDIT: This all has to do with SteamVR btw (LIV stuff). I'm 100% not saying there is, was, or ever existed a reason similar to do the same thing oculus side. It COULD be related, It MIGHT be something else, It PROBABLY is just an oversight. I brought it up tonight and yeah, basically the reason for the LIV thing was an old steamVR issue that may or may not be fixed, but no "recent" cases have popped up so who knows. It "Is" still a double check step if everything else is working otherwise. Again, I don't tend to talk about poo poo I dunno about to at least some extent and I'm not disagreeing its stupid. Just saying its entirely possible SOMETHING exists like that and who knows. My point is its probably not put in maliciously. :)

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 28, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FredMSloniker posted:

When the Quest2 is hooked up via link it's literally fooling your computer to think it's a Rift S with slightly different configurations. It's all still your GPU doing the work. The Quest 2 requires more horsepower for the higher resolution and refresh (when @ 90hz).

It's a similar story to when you're doing Virtual Desktop, really it's just what plumbing it uses being different.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

In addition of what they have said, Q2 has a bigger resolution so it needs a more powerful gpu.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
trip report: AMD AGESA 1.2.0.1 Patch A, implemented in MSI beta bios 3/5/21.

This installed normally and did not do anything bad to my system that I am aware of. It also does not solve any problems, as far as I can tell: I can still only get the G2 to work if it's in the single "VR READY" USB-A slot with its adapter on, and I still have to force PCIe gen3 in BIOS or else I get lots of bullshit and bluescreens.

After going back to PCIe gen3 I played Squadrons for a half hour and it's fine and performant etc, so everything works as well as it did, anyway.

One slightly hilarious / sad aspect of this, to me: my chronic tinnitus causes me to be very cautious with headphone volumes, even the semi-external headphones the G2 has. (There's nothing magic about open-ear headphones compared to speakers, except it's easier to dose yourself with more noise than you intend to because it is so close to your ear). Anyway, this means that I usually have the volume slider on Windows around 30-50% when I am using my G2.

From what I am reading, some of the issues people have are the result of blasting the volume, and the 40w PSU that the Reverb uses can't juice both that and the displays when bass is really booming. A recent firmware update reshapes acoustic processing somehow to cut inaudible bass to try to reduce power consumption, and, I have read that this was (initially) also a problem with the rift S which could lose tracking or visuals if you jacked the power up too much.

It is curious to me they didn't just go with a 60w PSU or something, I don't think the average gamer cares about 20 watts an hour and wouldn't you want to have a bunch of extra headroom? It sounds like the G2 pushes the USB spec right to its limit, too, and AMDs implementations have some problems which is why people are, generally, having issues with the G2 on AMD systems that mostly don't happen on Intel.

What a world it is.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
the oculus pc software should be downloadable as a torrent or something thats not just an incredibly lovely download manager. that poo poo practically never downloads on less-stable connections in areas with non-cable-broadband infrastructure. when i downloaded the rift S software in late 2019 i had to go to a coffeeshop with a windows laptop, download the software there, kill the process at a specific time so all the temp files were still available, drive home, copy those temp files to my desktop and use the download manager with them. there is no loving excuse for that

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
What’s some good facial interfaces for the quest 2? Looking to have one for working out/sweating out and regular VR gaming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think the last thing any big company wants to do these days is introduce anyone who doesn't already know to bittorrent.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

njsykora posted:

I think the last thing any big company wants to do these days is introduce anyone who doesn't already know to bittorrent.

then let them download the 9gb file outright, with a link. either is better than their lovely download manager not letting their userbase have the files when both steamVR and bittorrent work perfectly fine, effectively telling people "hey, this isnt for you. go buy another brand of headset, like literally pretty much ANY other brand"

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 28, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mang Tomas posted:

What’s some good facial interfaces for the quest 2? Looking to have one for working out/sweating out and regular VR gaming.

Oculus sent me one of VRCover's soft pleather interfaces as a replacement because the default one can give you a mild rash, and VRCover also do a cloth cover that goes over the interface, which works great for me when I'm working up a bit of a sweat; any silicone or pleather cover, without something over it, is going to soak up no moisture whatsoever and fog up the lenses.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Are there any plans for Gorilla game in Ape-ril?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Cabbages and Kings posted:

This installed normally and did not do anything bad to my system that I am aware of. It also does not solve any problems, as far as I can tell: I can still only get the G2 to work if it's in the single "VR READY" USB-A slot with its adapter on, and I still have to force PCIe gen3 in BIOS or else I get lots of bullshit and bluescreens.
I believe AMD said the first AGESA addressing the USB and PCIe problems would be 1.2.0.2.

Edit: Yeah https://www.anandtech.com/show/16554/amd-set-to-roll-out-agesa-firmware-usb-fix-for-ryzen-coming-april

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Anyone using this yet? Apparently someone made AMD's CAS reshade thing work with (most) VR games and supposedly it kicks rear end when it works

https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-cas/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm in the beta for Swarm now, which is a wave shooter where you spiderman around using grapple guns. It's under NDA so I won't share details, but I can share that it's really rad and fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CjNgb9yvsA

Comes out April 8th.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mang Tomas posted:

I have this one
https://vrcover.com/item/facial-interface-foam-replacement-set-for-oculus-quest-2/

in a pink they ran for a bit. I really like it. Its super comfy.

I've had a grip of vrcover replacements and they all hold up to washing em pretty regularly. Dawn dish soap and warm water in the sink is how I always clean em.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cicero posted:

I'm in the beta for Swarm now, which is a wave shooter where you spiderman around using grapple guns. It's under NDA so I won't share details, but I can share that it's really rad and fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CjNgb9yvsA

Comes out April 8th.

Can you speak to the level of motion sickness it does or does not cause? Bc this game looks cool but barfy as hell.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Barfiness level is "moderate" so far for me. It doesn't seem as barfy as Jet Island (which I loved, other than it making me sick), but yeah there's some impact on my stomach for sure. Maybe less than might be expected based on the amount and type of motion though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Are there any plans for Gorilla game in Ape-ril?

Thanks to this pun the plan is now to delete the game >:(

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lemming posted:

I really hate this problem. I'm trying to be active and respond to peoples' reports, but it's clearly not enough. Next step is I'm going to make the in game reporting more granular, so you can choose reasons (hate speech/bigotry, griefing, hacking, etc), and then hopefully take more automatic action based on if the person gets reported in multiple rooms or something (to prevent a room just ganging up on someone and falsely reporting them) but I doubt that'll be enough either.

One idea I'm kicking around is basically flagging more trusted accounts (people who have shown themselves to be reasonable or to have reported a decent number of people or whatever) such that if they report certain things, the offender is automatically banned and kicked from the room, basically like in game community moderators. I feel like this also might be apocalyptically stupid but there's been like almost 200 thousand people playing, so any system with a single point of action is hosed from the get go

On some level I think it's because most games absolutely do not give any fucks at all about people doing that kind of thing and people just think it's fine to do. I bet huge swaths of people would cut it out if they thought any action would actually be taken, but also if I do take action they still aren't gonna know *other* people are getting banned for it, so they'll still do it like they do in any other games. It's totally hosed unless games start doing something about it as a whole, but I'm still gonna keep trying
Oh, you're the gorilla tag dev? Nice. Yeah, love playing this, my son and his friends like it too. It's a real shame about the kids constantly going "n----- n----- n----- n----- n----- n-----" etc. They're everywhere. Even my son, who probably swears too much IRL, talks about how it's full of kids just constantly swearing. Makes it harder to recommend, in spite of the awesome gameplay.

I'd definitely sign up if you're gonna start deputizing goons btw.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoatse posted:

Anyone using this yet? Apparently someone made AMD's CAS reshade thing work with (most) VR games and supposedly it kicks rear end when it works

https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-cas/

So this sharpens VR images if I’m understanding correctly? Does it require an AMD GPU?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am wondering if the 1.2.0.2 patch will solve my issues, I was looking yesterday and I saw the bios you mentioned but I don't think it contains the usb fixes from amd. Using the link with my msi motherboard is a really uneven experience. Sometimes it's ok, but sometimes its crazy choppy. My cable is supposed to be USB 3.2 but I am only getting 1.2Gbps in the test. What should it be?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lemming posted:

Harsh but understandable.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So this sharpens VR images if I’m understanding correctly? Does it require an AMD GPU?

Yes a sharpening thing

No, does not require AMD gpu

Not going to work with everything but supposed to work with mostly everything. An example of not working would be Star Wars Squadrons because of anticheat stuff

e: and not being a computer toucher this poo poo is basically magic to me and I'm fine with that but the thread I learned about it on reddit has people there that seem to understand sharpener development

https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/mek3co/reshade_works_for_vr_now_cas_will_change_your_vr/

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 29, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is knockout league a good workout? I've been playing the hell out of Thrill of the Fight and it looks like an interesting change of pace.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lemming posted:

So you’re telling me if I search for it all I’ll find is a Missing Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So far Alyx is the worst for me whacking the ceiling of my VR basement (low) room, usually when chucking nades.. It's hella immersive, I was in a shootout with combine croched behind bags of cement and after finishing them off I tried to push myself up on the cement bags and almost just faceplanted, lol.

I found not letting the game select graphics settings is key, the nvidia geforce app selects the settings perfectly and the textures always look great instead of being really low rez going by the game. No loss in noticeable performance either!