Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpacePig posted:

Is there something in particular about ground beef that makes it more dangerous than a steak at medium? I tend to do burgers medium well, but I have friends that insist "the redder the better".
what other posters said RE surface area, and on industrial scales the machines used to process meat usually aren't cleaned as well/often as they should be so it compounds the issue. freshly-ground beef from a clean machine and good meat is as safe to cook rare as unground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
its called ground beef bc someone didn't make it before the 3 second rule :(

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

The middle of a steak is clean, any ecoli or other contaminants can only be on the surface. The middle of a burger could be contaminated.

This. Uncooked meat does not inherently have E. coli, so it would be something introduced to it during the butchering process, and it's hard to touch the inside of a steak without destroying it. The inside remains clean, and the outside will be directly exposed to the heat, so it's fine to eat it rare.

If you take that contaminated piece of meat and throw it in a grinder, now the E. coli on the outside is mixed with the previously clean inside. It's all contaminated.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Oh, geez, the surface area thing didn't even occur to me. That makes a lot of sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What about cube steak? That's produced by machine, too. Of course I always eat mine fried in a half a stick of butter on high heat till it's good and gray.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Well now I'm extra glad I've been making my rare burgs by grinding chuck steak at home. Plus they are delicious!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

n.b. no matter how good the steak and clean the machine, the moment you grind it the clock starts ticking. Cook and eat promptly if you want rare patties.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Poking around the latest Amazon astroturfing drama and came across this incredible trainwreck: https://arb.substack.com/p/that-time-sprinklrs-vp-of-design

Starts with your pretty standard "thin-skinned tech company can't handle someone saying a mean thing about them on Twitter" setup, ends with the literal public relations director of a $2.9 billion product sliding into a random third party's DM's to insinuate the OP was "lashing out" because of infertility issues. Truly astonishing.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

n.b. no matter how good the steak and clean the machine, the moment you grind it the clock starts ticking. Cook and eat promptly if you want rare patties.

Oh yah no, it's immediate.

That's one thing the pandemic has done for me: Increased my interest in meat science. I now cure and smoke my own bacon and it is a lot better than store bought.

For thread content: Testicles are an inconvenience. Is there a product that will increase this inconvenience? Yes!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Increased Social Domination is some real MRA poo poo

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Increased Social Domination is some real MRA poo poo

That's the problem with :females:, they wouldn't appreciate increased activity of the hypothalamic pituitary testes axis if it hit them in the face

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drunk Nerds posted:

That's one thing the pandemic has done for me: Increased my interest in meat science. I now cure and smoke my own bacon and it is a lot better than store bought.

For thread content: Testicles are an inconvenience. Is there a product that will increase this inconvenience? Yes!

Pleased to announce my new lockdown artisan good: ball inflating sourdough.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What about cube steak? That's produced by machine, too. Of course I always eat mine fried in a half a stick of butter on high heat till it's good and gray.

Bread it first, chicken fried steak owns.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Real men use Wuchereria bancrofti.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Hecuba posted:

Poking around the latest Amazon astroturfing drama and came across this incredible trainwreck: https://arb.substack.com/p/that-time-sprinklrs-vp-of-design

Starts with your pretty standard "thin-skinned tech company can't handle someone saying a mean thing about them on Twitter" setup, ends with the literal public relations director of a $2.9 billion product sliding into a random third party's DM's to insinuate the OP was "lashing out" because of infertility issues. Truly astonishing.

A series of unforced errors.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I suppose you could cook a steak blue rare and then grind it in a properly sanitized machine. I don't know why you would, but you could.

But to reiterate the point, the outside of a solid piece of meat should be assumed to be covered in pathogens. Once you've made the outside the inside, all you've got is a disease-riddled meat sponge, no matter how long it's been sitting or how clean the processing environment was.

And yes, I've had undercooked burgs, they're tasty, but they're still not a good idea.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What is a man?

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

a disease-riddled meat sponge

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You could sous vide a rare burg to pasteurize it, then sear to whatever doneness you want

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

You could sous vide a rare burg to pasteurize it, then sear to whatever doneness you want

Let me just spend two hours making a burg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wouldn't have thought it, but apparently sous vide can be good for big thick burgs. I might actually try it, the cooking time is kind of a misnomer since you're basically tossing food into a pot of water and loving off to do something fun while it sits for an hour or so.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I imagine you can also steam them, Albany style.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sentient Data posted:

You can't pasteurize below medium rare temp.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

And yes, I've had undercooked burgs, they're tasty, but they're still not a good idea.

It's fine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just go to a burg joint that has a cobalt-60 source.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Lone Badger posted:

Stop reminding me how we can't have nice things.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Brazilian food is kind of a rarity where I am

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Serperoth posted:

:eyepop: loving hell

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
https://twitter.com/tokyo_vamp/status/1375952325748068355

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Whenever I play a tall game of Humongous, I like to have about a hundred and forty seven Flushy Pus figurines

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's probably fine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've cooked thick ground beef patties to 131 in sous vide, then seared them with olive oil. Tasted amazing.

SpacePig posted:

I imagine you can also steam them, Albany style.

Offer not available in Utica.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It's probably fine.

The biggest risk from commercial ground beef is intestinal nicks during the butchering process contaminating meat that then gets mixed into the whole shebang, the risk is insanely low if you’re buying complete cuts and grinding it yourself.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The biggest risk from commercial ground beef is intestinal nicks during the butchering process contaminating meat that then gets mixed into the whole shebang, the risk is insanely low if you’re buying complete cuts and grinding it yourself.

Plus I get to grind in extra fat to get the % to 30 %. Yum!

Let's see, content, content, content: ever since I did a writeup about the bigger testicles company on GBS, EVERY ad I get is for that unbelievably horrible looking company. The videos frequently start with the pitchman saying something I really don't want my kids hearing like, "your body contains 5-20 pounds of poop right now!"

Cool, now I have two hyperactive little boys rolling around shouting "poop!" They were sitting quietly, assface!

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Mar 30, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Drunk Nerds posted:

Plus I get to grind in extra fat to get the % to 30 %. Yum!

Let's see, content, content, content: ever since I did a writeup about the bigger testicles company on GBS, EVERY ad I get is for that unbelievably horrible looking company. The videos frequently start with the pitchman saying something I really don't want my kids hearing like, "your body contains 5-20 pounds of poop right now!"

Cool, now I have two hyperactive little boys rolling around shouting "poop!" They were sitting quietly, assface!

Sounds like they're too full of poop

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Serperoth posted:

:drat:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Serperoth posted:

What joke am I missing here

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%E2nia_accident

Goiânia accident if the copy paste of the link doesn’t fix itself.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Volmarias posted:

The cobalt-60 source is a reference to the Goiânia accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Whoops, thanks!