Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

2, 3, 5 and 7 are the prime ones imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

We don't need to get complicated with tier lists. Everyone knows that the correct tier list is:

S: Playing a Yakuza game
F: Not playing a Yakuza game

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I can’t get behind 4’s ending being good. Me and my friend thought it was pants on head stupid, and Kiryu’s final boss smacks of “we have no idea who he should fight so uh, here’s this”

Add on only one city to explore and some low gameplay points during Seajima, as well as a hyper convoluted plot, and I’d play 3 over it for sure.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

We don't need to get complicated with tier lists. Everyone knows that the correct tier list is:

S: Playing a Yakuza game
F: Not playing a Yakuza game

Even the worst Yakuza game is better than most other games. Saying a mainline Yakuza entry is “bad” just means it’s slightly less good than a couple other ones.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

man nurse posted:

Even the worst Yakuza game is better than most other games. Saying a mainline Yakuza entry is “bad” just means it’s slightly less good than a couple other ones.

Very true, Yakuzzi is just a really solidly made series as a whole, their quality basically bottoms out at 'Cool' and tops out at 'Fantastic', that's probably one of the best track records you could hope for especially in such a big series.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

What sucks about 0 even though it’s amazing is that as many people’s introduction to the series it has a very slow and tutorialized start followed by two chapters of fetching alcohol for bums and grumbling over a piece of real estate. Then you hit Majima’s intro and it’s like oh gently caress okay and the game basically starts for real.

It pays dividends if you stick with it but it can be a bit heavy to get into for the first couple of hours.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Majima's intro cutscene is the length of an entire TV show episode and 100% worth it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Playing LAD and I just realized that by chapter 5 I was at about 10 hours played - I've just hit 30 hours and I'm still in chapter 7.
Normally with yakuza games I mainline the story and pick subquests that are convenient, but I've really been taking my time with this one.

I have a soft spot for 4, probably because it was my first one. I wouldn't mind doing 3,4 & 5 again but it's a 100 hour commitment without the quality of life saving and streamlining that came with the new engine.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

My start to the series was OG 1 back on PS2, when gamestop etc. were doing the "Japanese GTA" shtick, I thought it sounded cool but was sorta skeptical about that sales pitch, but it didn't necessarily burn me like it possibly did some people because I took it more like 'Japanese GTA' and less like a 'GTA: Japan' idea, plus already loving action combat stuff and RPGs, I was hooked on it, though even back then I was laughing at a bunch of the voice acting with that initial swing at dubbing. Then I never actually saw OG 2 around and wasn't all up on buying stuff online yet, so the next was 3 right when I got a PS3, enjoyed it then even with people mad over the cut parts of it, 4 was cool also on PS3, after that I didn't get to 5 next, it was actually Dead Souls off ebay for a sealed copy which I still have and played a fair deal lol, then I've played pretty much everything else after that.

I'm still extremely thirsty for a translated release or even just like an emulator fan patch for Kenzan and Ishin though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m an OG PS2 Yakuza fan as well. I grabbed 1 and 2 after word of mouth and was hooked. It was a wild ride seeing the series basically go from will we ever get the next entry localized to the relative success and popularity it now enjoys abroad.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

man nurse posted:

What sucks about 0 even though it’s amazing is that as many people’s introduction to the series it has a very slow and tutorialized start followed by two chapters of fetching alcohol for bums and grumbling over a piece of real estate. Then you hit Majima’s intro and it’s like oh gently caress okay and the game basically starts for real.

It pays dividends if you stick with it but it can be a bit heavy to get into for the first couple of hours.

I actually like how integral the empty lot and the three Dojima lieutenants stay to the plot. It being about a real estate deal at the height of the 80s bubble is perfect imo

Compared to like 3 where the game spends a lot of time setting up this threat of a resort/military base deal that just kinds of....stop mattering in the final act for reasons I don't remember? Or K1 where the main villain basically doesn't even exist until the last half hour.

Basically even the slower Kiryu-centric parts of 0 set an impossibly high standard is what I'm saying

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I ran out and bought a PS4 after the E3 where they announced localizations of 0 and Kiwami.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Virtue posted:

Majima's intro cutscene is the length of an entire TV show episode and 100% worth it.

This scene is exactly what compelled me to try out LAD in the first place- I watched a Beloved Streamer of mine play Y0 as his first foray into the series, I too knew nothing about the Yakuza games at the time, and by the end of Majima's intro cutscene I felt compelled to give the games a chance. I was floored

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

man nurse posted:

I’m an OG PS2 Yakuza fan as well. I grabbed 1 and 2 after word of mouth and was hooked. It was a wild ride seeing the series basically go from will we ever get the next entry localized to the relative success and popularity it now enjoys abroad.

I'll never stop praising Gio Corsi (Then head of Sony third-party production) for really twisting Sega's arm on Y0. For a while there Sega were being big lovely babies about the fans having not bought enough of Y3 and Y4, despite their really boneheaded sales approach for it in the west, little to no advertising, no digital versions at all, they expected people to go seek them out in brick and mortar stores and then buy like five copies each or something, for at the time a very very niche game series to the west. Y0 came out in Japan/Asia and everyone into the series was pretty blown away looking at it, people begged for it to be brought over and Sega were just turning their noses up at the prospect, until Gio Corsi leveled some Sony power at them and from what I remember got across something that was essentially like "People will buy this, if you won't do it, we can make it happen ourselves" and oop Y0 comes to the west and is a hit, hugely revitalizing the series.

Gio Corsi was also just a cool dude who never stopped trying to breathe some more life into the poor Vita.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Finished up Y7 a few days ago and now I can proudly say I’m caught up on the western releases, minus Y1 and Y2 on PS2, but including Dead Souls which I’ll totally play again because I’m just nuts for this series.

Y7 bringing back Kashiwagi and Lau Ka Long gives me hope for someone who wasn’t exactly the best character but I always felt got done dirtier than anyone else in the series, so fingers crossed there!

Kashiwagi got helicopter’d and Lau Ka Long eats a bullet to the forehead, yet we never saw Park’s body! She’s alive dammit! :argh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Married to majima, secretly...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lmao

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I just finished Chapter 1 of Yakuza 0 and...wow, what a string start. I've only played Yakuza 3 and 4 like ten years ago but this immediately feels better than those two.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One trope Yakuza is certainly guilty of is how often they have to write out a character to stop the plot from being too easily resolved.

0: Kiryu's dad spends the whole time in jail though this is understandable given how strongly it factors into the plot.

3: Daigo is rendered unconscious for the entire game.

4: Majima is arrested so he can have no input into the climax.

5: Majima is presumed dead and has little screentime.

6: Majima is out of the picture loving again. Most of the supporting cast are given the boot as well. Haruka is more of a plot device this time and spends the entire game in a coma.

7: Ichiban kind of forgets to follow up on his patriarch for a good ten chapters and gets distracted playing Mario Kart and running a Cracker factory.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the dragon engine's effect on tiger drop alone makes it all worthwhile

my reunion with saigo especially was hysterical because of it

"okay, here i come, kir-" *KRA-KOOM*

freeze-frame on him curled up in agony underneath a skull-shaped divot in the taxicab door

Jerusalem posted:

Reminds me a little of doing New Game+ in Yakuza Kiwami.

Majima: Kiryu-chan, your time away has made you weak, let's fight to prove it.
Kiryu lands a single strike that disintegrates Majima's entire ribcage and blasts him physically 15 seconds into the future.
Kiryu: My God... I really have become pathetically weak :cripes:

Oxxidation posted:

it's a shame that only yakuza 5 had an "enemies run away in terror" mechanic and tiger drop didn't trigger it automatically

imagine you're an enterprising young mugger and your pal sanshiro-kun charges this older dude, about to get a real good swing in, and then the dude blurs and sanshiro is just gone. where the gently caress did he go? why are his shoes there on the sidewalk where he was standing? and what's that twitching lump on the other end of the block, lying next to a Stop sign that's been bent completely in half?

It's a shame that the games don't environmental destruction. That'd make the Dragon Engine work for me outside of Judgment.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One trope Yakuza is certainly guilty of is how often they have to write out a character to stop the plot from being too easily resolved.

I just started playing K2 and lol'd pretty hard at Haruka, as soon as Tareda dies in the ambulance, "Don't worry Kiryu, I can just go back to the orphanage while you go on a punchathon, just come get me when you're done"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Majima intro in Zero is the point i thought "poo poo i like where this is going".

Yakuza 6 chapter 3 is maybe my favourite so far though. Never has a baseball game been so dramatic

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

7: Ichiban kind of forgets to follow up on his patriarch for a good ten chapters and gets distracted playing Mario Kart and running a Cracker factory.

I mean, Ichiban follows up on his patriarch immediately after getting out of prison, and his patriarch shoots him. Nanba then saves his life, makes sure he's going to live, then puts him rear end-first in a dustbin to wake up, so I can see why he wouldn't immediately rush off to meet him again.

He then gets drip-fed information that maybe his patriarch shot him for good reasons and didn't want him to actually die of it, but at the same time becomes aware that his patriarch needs to appear to be on the opposite side to him, so there's reasons for him not to rush off to meet his patriarch again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Majima intro in Zero is the point i thought "poo poo i like where this is going".

Yakuza 6 chapter 3 is maybe my favourite so far though. Never has a baseball game been so dramatic

The baseball management game in Hiroshima is one of my favorite parts of the series, I love how it incorporates so many substories and mini games into unlocking your team members. It really ties the whole hub together.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have no idea how Baseball works. I just used the setup provided by CyricZ, minus the expensive player and the two Tokyo ones, and grinded through the whole thing.

There isn't any real incentive to keep playing after beating the fourth team, is there? While I'll probably get my first Platinum I definitely won't master the completion list because anyone who tries getting max level in Spearfishing has no life whatsoever.

Yakuza 7 was also wise not to tie any achievements to poo poo like getting every toy from the claw machine.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Spearfishing is just an FMV shooter but I wish there was more.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I have no idea how Baseball works. I just used the setup provided by CyricZ, minus the expensive player and the two Tokyo ones, and grinded through the whole thing.

There isn't any real incentive to keep playing after beating the fourth team, is there? While I'll probably get my first Platinum I definitely won't master the completion list because anyone who tries getting max level in Spearfishing has no life whatsoever.

Yakuza 7 was also wise not to tie any achievements to poo poo like getting every toy from the claw machine.

I think one of the platinum requirements is getting 100 rbis so you want to keep crushing the easiest team

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks for the people who explained the board meetings a few pages back. The ingame explanation is hilariously bad and actively confusing. Good god. Anyway, first goal down, thanks to my main man Nick for dropping another cash infusion.

I never cared about the difference between actual money I have and how broke the character is supposed to be in the story, but the clash between his personality as portrayed and the descriptors on the personality chart are weird.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

man nurse posted:

Also Judgment belongs in God Tier

highly sus that all these tier lists miss out this god tier kamurocho game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Kiryu: I'm a little hungry from definitely not getting involved in any yakuza business. That Korean restaurant down the street looks good.
Random Tojo Guy Walking Past: Was that the Fourth Chairman who went in there just now? I'd better tell every Yakuza boss in town to come fight him with no shirt on.
Chinese Guy in Restaurant Next Door: We can't let the Dragon of Dojima just wantonly walk into restaurants, lets kidnap Haruka.
Korean Restaurent Owner: Ho ho ho, Kiryu-san! You think we could just let you see the menu without proving your strength?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vikar Jerome posted:

highly sus that all these tier lists miss out this god tier kamurocho game.

Ehh. Yagami himself is really dull, though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dollar Store Kiryu is a treasure though

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What the hell is a Tiger Drop anyway? Is it a dick punch?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you have to drop the tiger

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

find your sternum, and run your finger down your chest until the bone ends. clench your fist loosely, and let it drop onto that area that's just above your stomach and just below your ribcage

now imagine a 8" antiyakuza made of heroism and karaoke has slammed his entire body weight into that area

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm in chapter 1-3 of Yakuza 4 Remastered. Saigo (the army dude) has me trained up to Suicidal Combat. But he won't let me start it unless I have bulletproof armor of some kind. (I do) I put the bulletproof breastplate on, and he just tells me again to gear up ("lose the ladies apparel") and won't let me start the event. It's the last one! Any idea? Google doesn't seem to help much.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Chinook posted:

I'm in chapter 1-3 of Yakuza 4 Remastered. Saigo (the army dude) has me trained up to Suicidal Combat. But he won't let me start it unless I have bulletproof armor of some kind. (I do) I put the bulletproof breastplate on, and he just tells me again to gear up ("lose the ladies apparel") and won't let me start the event. It's the last one! Any idea? Google doesn't seem to help much.

Go get swat armor, he wants your defense to be higher. It's in one of the lockers I think

Edit On the western rooftops, south of the fountain garden, beneath the stairs. First-Person

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yakuza 6 Chapter 9: Hey, we're going to explain a lot of the plot, do some big reveals with some heavy character work it's going to be super serious

Yakuza 6 Chapter 9, five minutes later: RUGBY BABY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yakuza 6 is an incredibly misjudged finale. The story feels like a stand-alone sideplot rather than an ending to a long running character-arc. You can't randomly strip a character of his cast and expect him to carry the entire story himself. No Daigo, no Majima, and no Haruka either. It is a tremendous waste to reduce Haruka to an unconcious plot-device who accomplishes absolutely nothing nor exhibits any agency, especially since this is her last appearance.

Just like Team Sonic needs some guy to prod them into making less laughable games, Team Yakuza needs a woman onboard who coughs when they forgot what year it is.

The final boss is some wanker who ran Nintendo or something.

The big reveal being some boat will fly over the heads over everyone outside Japan. Why did it have to be a boat? Couldn't Kiryu's story involved the Tojo clan?

I can't fathom why Hirose could be seen as sympathetic. Dude was a oval office.

I understand why Han shows up in 7. He's the only character introduced in 6 who is well worth having around.

This reminds me of how the last Harry Potter book wasted most of its page-time on a camping trip where Harry had to wipe his arse with leaves in the forest. No magic school, no supporting-cast, just three losers in a tent. I took JK Rowling for a disappointing writer long before I learned she was a disappointing human-being.

Everything outside the poor story and bare-bones combat is great though.