Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

howe_sam posted:

Martin Sheen is pretty famously a vocal activist for social justice, so it's not really shocking that his son would take up that mantle.

I got the name of his dad and his brother switched around, but there's nothing I said in there about social justice. He was part of the loving Brat Pack.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I got the name of his dad and his brother switched around, but there's nothing I said in there about social justice. He was part of the loving Brat Pack.

What does being in the brat pack have to do with him doing indie movies for years and years now?

E: Looking at his IMDb, not only are his last few movie roles all indie stuff, but he's also been writing, directing, and producing indie films recently.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 28, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

Do you seriously think the Welsh actor Michael Sheen is related to the Estevez family?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

does captain america comics get retconned because that says steve gets the serum in 41, and t:rwb says bradley's platoon is experimented on in 42

The confusion for Truth, both for the writers and the readers, comes from the fact that it was not supposed to be in continuity at all but was made continuity after the fact. Officially in the Marvel Handbook it is considered the second super soldier experiment. Steve was still Cap and was fighting before Pearl Harbor. The creation of The Invaders in the Marvel Universe is a direct result of the Pearl Harbor attack. So by making Truth canon when it wasn't supposed to be they had to rework it a little bit to fit the continuity as it existed.

Also in Truth they actually find a copy of the comic based on Steve's adventures at one point. I think the characters in the book kind of write it off as just being a comic but they even mention it was about a guy named Steve Rogers.

Brubaker also wrote contradicting stories on whether Isaiah or Steve was first but the official Marvel canon is that Steve was first.

There was a short term Cap villain in the Jurgens run that was a soldier that got the serum before Steve and died but was resurrected. But that's the only one in the books the predates Steve officially.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Booooo, oh well, way to stick the landing Marvel.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
If the two Cap teams come into direct conflict (which I imagine they will with Walker being all "don't get in my way") I have to imagine that Walker, at least, gets some serum at some point. Otherwise any fight between Walker, Battlestar and our boys is gonna just be Bucky throwing them both through a building, "off the charts" stats or no.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think clearly the pressure of not living up to Cap is going to get to Walker and he's going to go to the Power Broker to get powers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

If the two Cap teams come into direct conflict (which I imagine they will with Walker being all "don't get in my way") I have to imagine that Walker, at least, gets some serum at some point. Otherwise any fight between Walker, Battlestar and our boys is gonna just be Bucky throwing them both through a building, "off the charts" stats or no.

The Power Broker and his apparently effective supersoldier serum that the Flagsmashers stole is right there. I can't imagine he won't end up shooting up with it before too long. Probably, what, in episode four or five to set up an episode six showdown with Sam over the shield?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

howe_sam posted:

Do you seriously think the Welsh actor Michael Sheen is related to the Estevez family?

I got his father, his brother and another unrelated actor with the same last name mixed up. a whole lot of mix ups.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

emilio estevez's dad is joe estevez, you can't trick me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

emilio estevez's dad is joe estevez, you can't trick me

It's Ramon Estevez actually

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Given that they both seem pretty equally effective against the Flag Smashers, I don't know that Bucky's exactly a given win.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Given that they both seem pretty equally effective against the Flag Smashers, I don't know that Bucky's exactly a given win.

I mean, in any sort of conflict like this the winner is "whoever we need to win in order to serve the narrative"

But yeah, Walker is gonna get juiced at some point and my own personal prediction is he will turn into Nuke and he will die.

Nuke I'm like 60% on, John Walker not surviving episode 6 I'm 90% on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I mean, in any sort of conflict like this the winner is "whoever we need to win in order to serve the narrative"

But yeah, Walker is gonna get juiced at some point and my own personal prediction is he will turn into Nuke and he will die.

Nuke I'm like 60% on, John Walker not surviving episode 6 I'm 90% on.

I'm personally 100% on him living, I'm just about 60% on him staying around as U.S.Agent, 20 on Nuke, and 20 on him just leaving all together never to be seen again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm personally 100% on him living, I'm just about 60% on him staying around as U.S.Agent, 20 on Nuke, and 20 on him just leaving all together never to be seen again.

Nah, he dead.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TwoPair posted:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why turn him into another character? John Walker doesn't need to become Nuke. He's a good character as is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Codependent Poster posted:

Why turn him into another character? John Walker doesn't need to become Nuke. He's a good character as is.

If you kill Walker, you can't have him in a possible Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts scenario that's the logical next step for Zemo presuming he gets out of F&WS alive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that's a major leap to take.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jng2058 posted:

If you kill Walker, you can't have him in a possible Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts scenario that's the logical next step for Zemo presuming he gets out of F&WS alive.

Why not keep him alive but as the character he already is, USAgent? You can even still put him on the dark avengers team if that happens. Other than "they are both blonde military guys who are Captain America analogues" the two characters aren't that similar and we already have a Nuke.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They'd actually make a great team. Walker could take the lead and Nuke could keep an eye on anything happening behind them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Walker already has a long established alter ego beyond Captain America. I don't remotely understand why people want to see him become Nuke.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I forget, is the Netflix stuff still considered cannon? Do we even know?

If so, Nuke is hella dead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

We don't know. There's a rumor that Charlie Cox will be in the next Spider-Man movie but even with that it isn't clear if he'll have the same continuity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There've been enough small crossover bits -- Peggy Carter appearing in Agents of SHIELD, Jarvis in Endgame -- that the TV properties are technically "canon" as far as...hell, I don't know what you'd call it...the narrative? The diegesis? Goes?

Unfortunately, "the diegesis" amounts to jack on an executive level. If the film division (which includes the new TV division now) wants to ignore something from before, it will.

That being said, I think it's way more likely that Feige will add in those olds elements at some point, in lieu of negating them. They're entirely aware that the Netflix stuff has its own base and have been pretty careful about completely alienating them.

The only property that we can be pretty certain will never ever get referenced again is probably Inhumans.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

omg chael crash posted:

They happened up until the point they decide to contradict something.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think we'll get Inhumans eventually, but I doubt it'll be as their own flagship property. I'm guessing we'll see them pop up in cosmic stuff at some point as the backdrop for other stuff, or as incidental characters. I would be surprised of they bother with all the Terrigen Mist/Terrigenesis stuff, though. That always struck me as a weird and fiddly amount of extra steps to explain why these aliens have superpowers, so it'll either not be mentioned or it'll be ignored completely in favor of them just being moon aliens with moon powers cause gently caress you, why wouldn't they

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doctor Doom/Inhumans/Galactus as the Fantastic Four trilogy of movies would be pretty great.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

There've been enough small crossover bits -- Peggy Carter appearing in Agents of SHIELD, Jarvis in Endgame

Both of these are characters that appeared in Agent Carter, which is the only one of the tv shows Kevin Feige was a producer on. Well of the old crop. Carter was also in the films first, so the only real crossover is Jarvis. That's it, in the 8 years since they started making tv shows vaguely set in Marvel world one character has meaningfully crossed over, for like a single 20 second bit.

So they could use the older tv bits.....but I doubt they will. This new crop with the movie actors is a bit of a different beast.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
neither of those were netflix shows either

i didn't know feige was involved with peggy carter though, that's interesting

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dr. List was in AoS and AoU but I can’t remember which one he was in first

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think we'll get Inhumans eventually, but I doubt it'll be as their own flagship property. I'm guessing we'll see them pop up in cosmic stuff at some point as the backdrop for other stuff, or as incidental characters. I would be surprised of they bother with all the Terrigen Mist/Terrigenesis stuff, though. That always struck me as a weird and fiddly amount of extra steps to explain why these aliens have superpowers, so it'll either not be mentioned or it'll be ignored completely in favor of them just being moon aliens with moon powers cause gently caress you, why wouldn't they

It'd be funny if somehow Ms. Marvel becomes a backdoor for Inhumans rather than the other logical way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

It'd be funny if somehow Ms. Marvel becomes a backdoor for Inhumans rather than the other logical way.

The Inhumans show will be referenced in Ms. Marvel

as a terrible in-universe TV show

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm kind of surprised anyone is still holding out hope that they'll integrate the Netflix stuff into the MCU propper, it seems pretty clear to me they're just waiting for us all to forget about it all before they move forward. I liked the shows and all but, outside of maybe Punisher, Marvel Studios could do better in recasting and reusing those characters. The Heroes for Hire crew are some of my favorites, I'd rather they not be saddled with TV actors/writing/etc if there's a chance they could make the jump to the movies.

Like Mike Colter is fine but Terry Crews would be ideal to me and there could be someone even better out there that I haven't thought of, MCU has had some inspired curve balls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm kind of surprised anyone is still holding out hope that they'll integrate the Netflix stuff into the MCU propper, it seems pretty clear to me they're just waiting for us all to forget about it all before they move forward. I liked the shows and all but, outside of maybe Punisher, Marvel Studios could do better in recasting and reusing those characters. The Heroes for Hire crew are some of my favorites, I'd rather they not be saddled with TV actors/writing/etc if there's a chance they could make the jump to the movies.

Like Mike Colter is fine but Terry Crews would be ideal to me and there could be someone even better out there that I haven't thought of, MCU has had some inspired curve balls.

They better not have a Kingpin played by anyone other than Vincent D'Onofrio.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Again, y'all are understating the fanbase for these shows, one that Marvel is absolutely aware of. Not every single casting choice was a slam dunk but Daredevil, for instance, is one of their bigger names and Charlie Cox was absolutely acclaimed in the role by viewers and critics.

They gain absolutely nothing by recasting these characters and a lot of goodwill by bringing them back. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when it will happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Again, y'all are understating the fanbase for these shows, one that Marvel is absolutely aware of. Not every single casting choice was a slam dunk but Daredevil, for instance, is one of their bigger names and Charlie Cox was absolutely acclaimed in the role by viewers and critics.

They gain absolutely nothing by recasting these characters and a lot of goodwill by bringing them back. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when it will happen.

I would love for Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter or Mike Colter to come back, but could probably get over it if they were recast, because it's not like Marvel Films has flubbed casting a single protagonist.

Kingpin getting recast would feel like a slap in the face.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Defenders do feel like characters you should just fold in. With the possible exception of Iron Fist there was positive reception to all of them and nothing bad did irrevocable harm. Could you cast a better Luke Cage or Daredevil? Yeah, maybe. Is it worth the hassle? I dunno.

The Inhumans are the real question for me because like Agents of SHIELD basically had a ton of them in a way similar to mutants and the Royal Family are kinda sorta important and that show was real bad. So I dunno what you do there. I'd love it if Chloe Bennett showed up in Ms Marvel and they just said "oh yeah, inhumans and terrigan mist has been happening and here's one more". But I'm not holding my breath.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

They better not have a Kingpin played by anyone other than Vincent D'Onofrio.

Ok yeah I'd put him over Bernthal, but Charlie Cox was only fine to me. I honestly don't understand the continuing hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

STAC Goat posted:

The Defenders do feel like characters you should just fold in. With the possible exception of Iron Fist there was positive reception to all of them and nothing bad did irrevocable harm. Could you cast a better Luke Cage or Daredevil? Yeah, maybe. Is it worth the hassle? I dunno.

The Inhumans are the real question for me because like Agents of SHIELD basically had a ton of them in a way similar to mutants and the Royal Family are kinda sorta important and that show was real bad. So I dunno what you do there. I'd love it if Chloe Bennett showed up in Ms Marvel and they just said "oh yeah, inhumans and terrigan mist has been happening and here's one more". But I'm not holding my breath.

She's too busy playing a Powerpuff Adult right now.