Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

sweeperbravo posted:

I feel relieved that she did used to wear them, likely when I was reading the comics more often and that's why I still picture her with them. As for recently I forget if I noticed it or if it was pointed out by someone on here or by Josh Fruhlinger's blog.

Her knobby rear end head still makes me uncomfortable though

Comic Strips 2021: Her knobby rear end head still makes me uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I'm so glad Jucika's getting posted again, I really liked it. It's like the Hungarian Mopsy.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

My grandparents had a few Encyclopedia Brown books at their place so I read several of them growing up, but that hasn't helped me so far. This is so weird.

Mammila's being a little, uh... welp, but, Muhammed al-Zomal seems like a cool dude.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 8th, 1940

And I noticed some comics that weren't in the comic section, and I saw something that looks a little familiar...

No signature on this one that I see, but the one from the 9th looks like it's signed by Bill Holman

Axa

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Urashima Tarō (浦島 太郎) is a Japanese legend about a fisherman who rescues a turtle and is rewarded for this with a visit to Ryūgū-jō, the palace of Ryūjin, the Dragon God, under the sea. He stays there for three days and, upon his return to his village, finds himself 300 years in the future.

Bogor

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

My grandparents had a few Encyclopedia Brown books at their place so I read several of them growing up, but that hasn't helped me so far. This is so weird.

The case in the EB strip is taken straight from the books. Yes, the kid with the teeth collection and everything.

catlord posted:

And I noticed some comics that weren't in the comic section, and I saw something that looks a little familiar...

No signature on this one that I see, but the one from the 9th looks like it's signed by Bill Holman

I think I've mentioned it before but Holman was actually doing three comics at this time -- Smokey Stover; Nuts and Jolts, which as you can see is a single-panel gag comic; and Spooky, a Sundays-only strip starring that black cat that keeps showing up in the background in Smokey.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 29, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (March 31, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and/or Jeff

The research for my Very Special Feature ate up a lot more time than I expected, so today's Life (With Skippy) is going to have to be a can that I kick down the road.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Harry Dinkle Can't Wait To gently caress" and more, every day on the wild world of the comics page.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That's him, ol Fucky Winkerbean.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Selachian posted:

The case in the EB strip is taken straight from the books. Yes, the kid with the teeth collection and everything.

Yeah, I mentioned it to my mum and she was like "oh, I remember that!" and I... don't. Why the gently caress are teeth just falling out all over the place here? I'm suddenly worried about water quality.

quote:

I think I've mentioned it before but Holman was actually doing three comics at this time -- Smokey Stover; Nuts and Jolts, which as you can see is a single-panel gag comic; and Spooky, a Sundays-only strip starring that black cat that keeps showing up in the background in Smokey.

Huh, what a damning indictment of Holbrook. I think I'll keep an eye out for Spooky though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When your main character is "kid who memorized the encyclopedia for fun" the guest cast needs to be similarly quirky. Finding teeth barefoot, toilet paper collection, speed painter who used his... I think it was elbow?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set didn't ask you.

Working Daze :words:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix would like you to not ask how they know that.

Cul De Sac doesn't seem very relaxing.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 15, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 25, 1918)

Banana Oil! (January 18, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 9, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 9, 1935)

Dark Laughter (May 15, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (May 9, 1948)

Those Were the Days (January 8, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (June 30, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 30, 1965)

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

is Everett True anti union

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Wobblies were against the war so yes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Hostile V posted:

"Harry Dinkle Can't Wait To gently caress" and more, every day on the wild world of the comics page.

He’ll get a heart attack on the way, instantly setting the Funkyverse back in place.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

you broke my grill posted:

In another strip he baps a guy over the head when they say they are for "direct action".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you broke my grill posted:

Everett True is not so much anti-union as fanatically pro-war.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Harry Dinkle sets the scene

Like a sex machine

Finally we get to the titular Funk.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There is nothing incongruous to Everett True being anti-union. He’s also anti-foreigner and anti-nontraditional masculinity. We laugh because he also despises and beats people who are generically corrupt or rude.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Everett True is a land of contrasts.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Ever since I saw Everett approve of literal KKK violence against IWW members I can't look at him the same way anymore

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh I thought he was just gonna beat that guy for having a stolen package but his name matched the initials.

So like 30 years ago I recall funky winkerbean being about a teenager in high school. My eyes just glaze over the olds doing things in that and crankshaft.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Brenda Starr 3/3/46

Smokey Stover 3/24/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

I'm assuming this is a late one, because it's awfully crude compared to Thompson's pre-Parkinson's style -- I'd have expected him to be able to do a better Zippy than that.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Monster Hunter Rise came out.....forgot to post.....

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

:ohdear:

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Green Intern posted:

He’s also anti-foreigner

I feel like Everett True has been pro-foreigner before, it's just that when the war started he immediately started bashing Germans or anyone he thought was German (or Turkish, I guess).

somepartsareme posted:

Ever since I saw Everett approve of literal KKK violence against IWW members I can't look at him the same way anymore

Wait what? I don't remember this one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

ukonvasara posted:

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 21, 1918)
:smith:

Ah well, no unstoppable source of vigilante justice is perfect.
I just want to mention that when True refers to 'beating and tarring and feathering' here, he's referring to a specific incident that came to be known as the Tulsa Outrage, where 16 members of the IWW (plus one innocent bystander) were violently rounded up by the police from the local IWW headquarters and promptly charged and convicted of vagrancy. That night they found themselves being 'transferred' back to the IWW headquarters by police when they were 'ambushed' by a local KKK sect who then took custody of the unionists and drove them out of town where they were stripped naked, tied to a tree, then whipped before being famously tarred and feathered, and finally as they watched the KKK burn all of their clothing in a bonfire they were told to never return to town.
It's worth mentioning that this wasn't (primarily) because they were anarchists or unionists, but because the IWW was vocally opposed to the war. One of their members had already been lynched for his antiwar statements, and a further one hundred and sixty of them had received significant jail terms for conspiracy to hinder the draft and conspiracy to encourage desertion.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ah oops.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (June 5-9, 2000)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Establishing a strong figure who says and does what society is too polite to, "keeps the streets clean" of everyday pests and then extending the violence to political enemies here and there to normalize it is a communication tactic straight out of the fascist propaganda playbook.
I don't want to toot my own horn here but I can remember when the thread liked One Big Happy and I said it sucked, and a few months later there was a swing to "wow One Big Happy sucks all of a sudden, was it always like this", and here we are now going "was Everett True always a protofascist icon" and, well, yeah, pretty much

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

readingatwork posted:

Everett True is a land of contrasts.

Pre-WW1 he was good. Post-WW1... True has turned bad.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (December 15, 1990)

This feels like a yikes yet I can't help but see it as rather prescient in the current social environment where language policing is constantly mistaken for tone policing and vice versa.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The "rabbit license" thing confuses me even more now.

As I said before I know there's a group of rabbits who are resisting being murdered, which makes them outlaws. But how are they outlaws? If they give up their rabbit license, they're just "long eared rodents" which makes them technically omnivorous which means they're no longer necessarily prey, and that means since they're technically predators they should be able to fight back against animals trying to eat them without being in violation of the law, same as how Rudy can get into a fight with Vin and that's not illegal. I know they can't kill the predators since it's illegal to kill an animal except to eat it, but as long as they're fighting back with non lethal methods and don't have a rabbit license then they should be totally fine. But for some reason they're not.

Really, the bigger question this begs is why anyone would want a rabbit license at all. There doesn't seem to be any actual advantage to the designation.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I hate that this Axa made me sympathize with Dirk solely because he made the very obvious observation that they're not bird people.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

I hate that this Brewster Rockit managed a decent joke after a week of dumb people misunderstanding and overreacting to the wolf/sheep/cabbage riddle.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 21, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 21, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 21, 1989)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeahh gently caress everett true now

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The truly incredible thing about the Everett True heel turn is that I've apparently been posting on these here boards long enough to have seen all of ET twice already and found myself going "why are we talking about this, I thought we all knew about wartime True", and then I realized this is some peoples' first time seeing it and also I'm a million years old.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis forgets to tell a joke three days in a row, but at least the Sunday strip is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

The truly incredible thing about the Everett True heel turn is that I've apparently been posting on these here boards long enough to have seen all of ET twice already and found myself going "why are we talking about this, I thought we all knew about wartime True", and then I realized this is some peoples' first time seeing it and also I'm a million years old.

Going by the timing of when Slammy left it's possible he was discouraged by the fact that Everett True was entering the gross phase. Now he posts Those Were The Days, welcoming our hatred.