Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I saw a Frozen White :siren: NEW :siren: M3 today,

Grille is awful but not as horrible in person as in pictures (might have been that the E92 seating position is the perfect altitude).
Car is huge looking, I imagine the next M5 will be the size of a H1 Hummer given that this car seems to be roughly the size of the outgoing 5 series.
In that color, it looked okay/didn't make my eyes bleed. But it certainly is considerably less hardcore looking than previous generations.

Driver of the car ogled my car as I ogled his, he turned right onto the street I was sitting on waiting to make a left turn, so I got to see the thing from a nice range of angles with no obstructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sorry you had to see that friend :(

I put my m3 up for sale yesterday and immediately realised I’d made a terrible mistake so decided to sell some shoes and watches instead.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I saw an M3 in the wild today. Press color that looks like a tennis ball. Headed towards a great little road in SoCal. I wondered who was reviewing it, since it may have been a press car.

Makes up for the day before when I saw a car, no idea what kind, tumble over a freeway median. It was from the opposite side towards my direction but a little behind me and the only reason I saw it was from checking my blind spot. Could find no news about the accident but traffic was hosed for hours.

Enjoy your cars everyone but drive safe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Enjoy your cars everyone but drive safe.

So am I supposed to post a burnout or not?

Edit: How did SPY look in person?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I finally got around to do the clutch delay valve delete on my 2008 335i.
All of the procedures I've found on line indicate this is an easy job. It very well may be if you don't rocket one of the clips across the garage and end up leaking out a fair amount of brake / clutch fluid before you can reinstall the clip.

The CDV just sits inline between a flex hose and a hard line going to the slave cylinder. In theory, you should be able to pop them apart and back together quickly. If you got just a little air in the line, the bleeder right there would probably be fine.

I lost enough fluid there was no way pumping the clutch pedal would bleed the line, it just popped to the floor.

Thankfully, I just got this bad boy last week:

The power bleeder was an absolute life saver and made this super fast.

I have seen many complaints that the bleeder is a total pain to get to. This is one of those jobs where (I feel) an offset box wrench is 100% required.

There wasn't a ton of space for actually rotating the wrench, maybe about 10 degrees, but actually reaching and getting it on the bleeder wasn't difficult. I'm not sure it would be possible with a normal wrench without significantly more swearing.
Where the flex line meets the hard line at the middle -bottom of the picture is where the CDV used to live.

Mmmmm, forbidden chicken stock:

Don't worry, it didn't come out that dirty, I just use that container for everything.

Clutch feel is so much better with the CDV gone. Before, there was always this weird feeling like you had to be a little slow in letting it engage.

So my own takeaways:
1. Offset wrenches will save you
2. Have a power bleeder on hand

Up next is probably a rear diff service. It's got about 126,000 miles on it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

So am I supposed to post a burnout or not?

Edit: How did SPY look in person?

Yes, do a burnout just not through a wall or a crowd of people.

SPY was eye catching in the good way that you remember yellow ferraris looking good, if that makes sense.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That i4 is kinda neato but it's too bad they "revealed" it as yet another concept mock-up and no real numbers for anything

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Finally got all my parts (Except for brakes but I'm not worrying about that until its back on the ground and rolling)

gently caress I don't remember e36 m3 control arms being nearly 600 dollars for a set!

Soon, precious.

Gratituitous M2 shots because Hockenheim Silver

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to really dislike my Prius for a number of reasons and was dreaming of buying a 128i or something else stupid during my 10 hour drive in it today. Luckily for it the odds of me finding a manual at a reasonable price aren't good so it probably gets to stick around.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

Finally got all my parts (Except for brakes but I'm not worrying about that until its back on the ground and rolling)

gently caress I don't remember e36 m3 control arms being nearly 600 dollars for a set!

Soon, precious.

Gratituitous M2 shots because Hockenheim Silver

Hell yes.

Also I bloody love hockenheim me

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Ahhh, snow's gone, Z4M time
Hello, I want your car

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

is there a trick to getting an e36 coupe window back on the felt/rubber channel towards the front of the car? google is all about the regulator sliders and it's obviously not that. i undid the bolts on the rear track assembly and it didn't seem like wiggling did anything but maybe i didn't wiggle it right? I guess I can remove the track, get the glass in the channel and reinstall the track but that seems finnicky.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-m3-129/
is kind of making me want to get some black wheels/kidneys/fender vents...
and
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-m3-173/
is kind of making me want to buy an E46 while they're still "cheap"...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hello, I want your car

Thanks but man no way

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So guys, I kind of messed up. I rented a M2 for a few days and I accidentally scratched one of the rims. When I rented the car from the BMW Rental spot, the rim that I scratched was already marked as scratched on the damage report. They were pretty specific in the form that I signed where the location of the original scratch was.

Do you think I'll still be responsible for the damage even though it was damaged before?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Expect to be responsible and charged for the damage, if not it's your lucky day. Next time be more careful as rental companies love to pay for a wheel several times over before replacing it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Unfortunately, yes. The Welt is anal about rim damage.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-m3-129/
is kind of making me want to get some black wheels/kidneys/fender vents...
and
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-m3-173/
is kind of making me want to buy an E46 while they're still "cheap"...

I go back and forth on all the black everything. I think that the original chrome stuff will be appreciated later on in life though. It would need to be the gloss black grills if you do it though. Too many are cheap garbage that turn cheap and faded.

My M3 is getting a whole bunch of fresh work done. I let my neighbor drive it to work for the annual service (oil change) which I actually skipped last year because I barely drove it. He is doing the brake fluid flush at no charge which was cool of him (based on the dates it was due). He talked me into getting the air conditioner thing fixed, the condenser or evaporator or whatever it is. He called me and was like let's get it fixed properly, the shop is kind of slow, I will make you a great deal on the service. Book time for the job is something hilarious like 18 hours because the entire dash has to come out, and the whole intake plenum. I bought some new spark plugs I was going to DIY myself this spring and I said if he would install those at the same time I would go for it. So...the book time/parts/misc on the job is usually like $4100. He is doing it all for $2100. He has taken care of me on a lot of other stuff and I needed to get it fixed properly so I just went for it. He is going to send me a photo of the carnage so I will post it for :allbuttons: to behold. Once I get the car back I am going to find a place that will respray the front bumper and then I am going to drive the nuts off of this thing this year. Next year I will be doing the connecting rod bearings and engine mounts.

After that the car should be pretty much bulletproof, and should stay put as far as value goes so I am pretty pleased with that.

Unrelated: said friend just traded in his employee leased X5 35i on an X3M. He only has about 200 miles on it. Once the 1200 mile break in period is done we are going to drive it and see what it is made of :dance:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh yeah, the AC issue is what drove me to trade in my 328. It broke right before the one hot week Philly got that year, and we were doing a road trip the next month. That repair is worth it on an M, not so much on a 328 with 100k. 18 hours is about what my independent quoted me on it, he actually sounded happy I traded it in instead.

The good paint shop on the Mainline was about $650 to have my rear bumper painted after an old codger rolled into it, and they did a great job on both the Black Sapphire Metallic F30 and the Barbera Red E90. Both times my BMW was very likely the cheapest car in the shop!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Thanks but man no way

Apropos of nothing I had to fend off a guy who was cleaning up the parking lot of the place where I got a lunch bagel today, he couldn't believe I got this thing new in 2008, and he was flailing around apoplectic after I pulled out into opposing traffic with some wheelspin and waved to my rearview mirror

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

King poo poo

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I had to do the AC evap about a year ago and didn’t have an option since I’m in Phoenix. The tech told me there’s an access panel in the firewall to get to it but the V8 blocks it. It cost me $2700 so you’re definitely getting a great deal.

I did the OEM gloss black grill inserts a few years back when my hood got damaged on the highway. I didn’t black out the all the pieces though. It looks fine. Honestly I’m done with mods on the car. Short term plan is to pick up an i8, use that for a couple years, and find a blue manual E90 sedan. Space gray bores me to tears.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So one of the run flats on my 228 is toast. The remaining tires have about 8/32 tread left. With that much tread can i get away with replacing just one tire, or should I do two?

Assuming I decide not to just get 4 non RFTs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Get 4 non RFTs and bask in how amazingly smooth your car rides.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

4 new PS4s.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just buy cup 2s and have the time of your life whilst you marvel at that beautiful velvet sidewall and the smiling bibendum within

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bape Culture posted:

Just buy cup 2s and have the time of your life whilst you marvel at that beautiful velvet sidewall and the smiling bibendum within

Time of your life = about 30 minutes though right?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They last really well to be fair. I do a set per year and I’m a loving idiot. Seriously impressive tyrss

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

But seriously, if I didn't want to waste the rest of the tires I have, could I get away with just replacing one based on the remaining tread?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Personally I’d do an axle at a time on anything like this :)

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

But seriously, if I didn't want to waste the rest of the tires I have, could I get away with just replacing one based on the remaining tread?
I’ve heard that places like Tire Rack can shave down tires to match tread depth

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=259

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

got off on a technicality posted:

I’ve heard that places like Tire Rack can shave down tires to match tread depth

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=259

I had TireRack do this for me with a replacement for a flat, taking about 2/32" off IIRC, and it worked well.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Cool, appreciate the info. My inner tree-hugger hates the idea of putting tires with this much life left in landfill. When it's time to replace them all, then I will look at fun and cool non-RFTs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

They last really well to be fair. I do a set per year and I’m a loving idiot. Seriously impressive tyrss

I ran the Cup 2s on my RS for 3 years before buying replacements (although, to be fair, winter tires were on for half of that time). Are you seriously spending $1500+ on tires every year?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bape tracks his car a lot i think

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So I am still having this problem. I have checked literally everything:

- Replaced lower control arms and ball joints
- Replaced rear left toe arm to make alignment easier
- Replaced right front wheel and had left front wheel straightened

This is extremely frustrating: I have been to the dealer and four separate indie shops and none of them can make heads or tails of this.

The only other symptoms I am having are a faint whum-whum-whum while driving, and also that at higher speeds, I seem to have slightly more resistance turning the wheel left than turning the wheel right. It's very modest though.

It's getting to the point where I am thinking of selling off the E92 instead of putting more money into a car with a problem I can't seem to solve.
Update on this: thanks to those of you who suggested I check the bearings, at least one of my front bearings is definitely bad, and I'm going to replace both of them. Surprised that the shop which has done my wheels and tires a million times never saw this. I hope this fixes the problem, stay tuned...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Cool, appreciate the info. My inner tree-hugger hates the idea of putting tires with this much life left in landfill. When it's time to replace them all, then I will look at fun and cool non-RFTs.

I tried to sell the Run flats off my F80 when I replaced them. I literally couldn't give them away and ended up dropping them off at Discount Tire.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Assuming you have storage space just throw them up on eBay and leave them there. Mine sold locally after a couple months and I recouped most of what they would have cost new.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KillHour posted:

I ran the Cup 2s on my RS for 3 years before buying replacements (although, to be fair, winter tires were on for half of that time). Are you seriously spending $1500+ on tires every year?

Yea mate. It doesn’t even register on the dipshit race car meter graph tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

fknlo posted:

I tried to sell the Run flats off my F80 when I replaced them. I literally couldn't give them away and ended up dropping them off at Discount Tire.

Yeah, I also failed at giving away perfectly good run flats in the past. Great news though, TireRack is shaving my new tire for $35. Thanks, thread!