Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

everyone tell me the absolute best anime they've ever watched - i'm kinda anime curious (only really seen cowboy bebop and dragonball z), i'm only giving it one chance though, if it sucks i'm never watching anime again

naoki urasawa’s “monster”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

oh lol i didn’t read posts my bad

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

This is just completely untrue. Lovecraft's personal life is fascinating and explains a lot about why he felt the way he did and why he wrote the way he did. It's absolutely something any lovecraft fan should look into to add to the depths of their understanding of his work.

Being like, oh he wasn't super racist for the time is some real bullshit.

I mean, these were the people who hadn't even seen the civil rights movement. The general reaction from people much later on in the 60s was insanely bad. But I guess that's assuming that things were always getting better on a given timeline. I'm thinking people back in the 30s were just quietly thinking black people weren't human and glad that they didn't have to deal with it because as far as they knew everyone agreed with them and certainly wouldn't dream of saying something to the contrary.

Parallel I guess was me as a kid in the 90s being glad racism is over. And looking around now like :yikes:

I can't tell if that means it's going in cycles or if it's just a matter of perception and how open people are about their horrible opinions.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

akira is well made but its also boring poo poo about some kids on motorcycles shouting at robots

akira’s beautiful no doubt, but i can’t remember a drat thing about the plot. i guess it’s been a while.

i like reading manga way more than watching anime most of the time. baccano is a great anime tho

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Stephen King deserves the reverence that a lot of people have for lovecraft for writing horror. At least king writes something a normal person would ever want to read, and does a lot more with the "unknowable horror monster" concept with all the todash stuff. He's just unfairly dismissed because he's still alive and writes a lot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The version of The City on the Edge of Forever that aired is better than Harlan Ellison's original script.

(It's safe to write this because he's dead now and can't reach through the computer and kill me.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Stephen King deserves the reverence that a lot of people have for lovecraft for writing horror. At least king writes something a normal person would ever want to read, and does a lot more with the "unknowable horror monster" concept with all the todash stuff. He's just unfairly dismissed because he's still alive and writes a lot.

One of King's recent books, Revival, is just an admitted HP Lovecraft takeoff to the point that character refers to HP Lovecraft's stories to explain what's going on. And it's significantly better than HP Lovecraft's stories. It does the idea of somebody getting a glimpse of a horrifying fundamental truth of the universe way better

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

neither steven king, nor lovecraft, nor any of that stuff is good. there are so many great books out there that you shouldn't feel like you have time for stuff that's so mediocre

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gaius Marius posted:

Being like, oh he wasn't super racist for the time is some real bullshit.
He was super racist, but his time was Deluxe Extra Mega Racist to the point a lot of people don't even believe it today when you tell them the black neighborhood bombing scene in the Watchmen tv show really happened.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Shibawanko posted:

neither steven king, nor lovecraft, nor any of that stuff is good. there are so many great books out there that you shouldn't feel like you have time for stuff that's so mediocre

yeah but Black Library stuff goes out of print fairly quickly so it's easy to get caught up on everything they have currently available and then what are you gonna do?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shibawanko posted:

phuo: it's OK to read what entertains you. I don't care about it being haute literature or whatever, if I like it i'm going to read it. No other authors have been able to make me reread a series of books as much as the dark tower did, so to me, King is a great author. I read to have fun, not feel like i'm doing work.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Steven King. But I'm sure that has a lot to do with my parents letting me read Carrie when I was a kid. It may have been the first book I read with a bunch of swear words. Funnily enough hat's also why I still like Ugly Kid Joe because it was the first cassette I bought with a lot of swears in it.

Maybe I just really like swearing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

phuo: it's OK to read what entertains you.

Correct, it is okay for people to read what entertains me.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

docbeard posted:

Correct, it is okay for people to read what entertains me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

JollyBoyJohn posted:

everyone tell me the absolute best anime they've ever watched - i'm kinda anime curious (only really seen cowboy bebop and dragonball z), i'm only giving it one chance though, if it sucks i'm never watching anime again

Cowboy Bebop is boring and Ed might be the most annoying character in the history of television, but the music is nice.

I saw and enjoyed a few episodes of Attack On Titan, but I didn't care enough to follow the show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

One of King's recent books, Revival, is just an admitted HP Lovecraft takeoff to the point that character refers to HP Lovecraft's stories to explain what's going on. And it's significantly better than HP Lovecraft's stories. It does the idea of somebody getting a glimpse of a horrifying fundamental truth of the universe way better

I like that it actually explains what that horrifying fundamental truth is, or at least the glimpse of it that the character gets, and so the reactions the people who got a taste of it have makes perfect sense. Like, poo poo, I don’t know anyone who would handle that well.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

All these anime recommendations and not one Legend of the Galactic Heroes mention. loving shameful.

nishi koichi posted:

akira’s beautiful no doubt, but i can’t remember a drat thing about the plot. i guess it’s been a while.

i like reading manga way more than watching anime most of the time. baccano is a great anime tho

Read the Akira manga.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

what kind of madlad recommends a 150 ep series for someones first anime?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

what kind of madlad recommends a 150 ep series for someones first anime?

I was just thinking well if they want them to never give anime another shot that's a good way to do it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I hate it when movies use fake glasses that just have glass for the lenses. It's way more noticeable than empty frames. Just use empty frames. Or prescription glasses, gently caress it, give the actor a headache, I don't care.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My head wants to say Fullmetal Alchemist (either one, but I prefer Brotherhood) but my heart is going to tell you to watch G Gundam.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

christmas boots posted:

My head wants to say Fullmetal Alchemist (either one, but I prefer Brotherhood) but my heart is going to tell you to watch G Gundam.

G Gundam kicks rear end, but I think there are better starter Gundams. It's 50 episodes long and heavy on that episodic format that has fallen out of fashion in TV nowadays. I'd suggest Gundam Thunderbolt or Gundam 0080 first, because they're both fantastic and only 4 and 6 episodes, respectively. For longer series Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 or Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans would my recommendations to new people.

Or Reconguista in G but only if the person asking for recommendations is very, very cool.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There are better starter Gundams but G really isn’t at all representative of the rest of the series

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Or Reconguista in G but only if the person asking for recommendations is very, very cool.

Hell yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

christmas boots posted:

There are better starter Gundams but G really isn’t at all representative of the rest of the series

Oh yeah, I meant starter Gundams as in like, Gundams that are good starters for anime generally, not Gundams that are good starters for the Gundam franchise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Off the top of my head I can't think of another TV show that expects the audience to pay attention as much as Reconguista in G. It's so good.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

I hate it when movies use fake glasses that just have glass for the lenses. It's way more noticeable than empty frames. Just use empty frames. Or prescription glasses, gently caress it, give the actor a headache, I don't care.

They could do it like the guy who played Bubbles on Trailer Park Boys, wearing contacts that gently caress his vision up to the point that thick specs correct it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't see how causing another person pain is a problem, they both signed up for it, and they can quit whenever they want.
Because I don't like to watch it.

Gripweed posted:

I don't get it. Prescription glasses usually look like plain glass unless you hold them right up in front of your face so you can look through them. :confused:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

I don't get it. Prescription glasses usually look like plain glass unless you hold them right up in front of your face so you can look through them. :confused:

Depends on the prescription, shape of the glasses, and angle / distance of the camera.

eg:

Snowden's glasses are pretty strong and the prescription is much more noticeable than what Joseph Gordon Levitt had in the movie.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Mar 29, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Lmao you got a 4K (or whatever) TV just so you could get mad at this, didn't you?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have not seen any of it but my only G Gundam trivia was that the English voice actor for the main character went on to be an orthopedic surgeon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

Because I don't like to watch it.

The issue is that regular glasses are curved. Plain glass is flat. So they catch the light differently. When the entire lens lights up with reflected light, then it's flat glass and the glasses are fake.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao you got a 4K (or whatever) TV just so you could get mad at this, didn't you?

If you know about the reflection thing you can notice it on like, VHS quality stuff.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't watch a lot of anime, but I watched Great Pretender last year and really enjoyed it. It also has fantastic closing credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk86fxEklq8

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Mar 29, 2021

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Anime is for 99% for teens and young adults. Today it is mostly designed with the sensibilities of Japanese losers with lots of money to spend. I can't recommend anyone watch any anime.

Lovecraft stuff is popular because a large part of it is public domain, and in nerd circles a popular tabletop rpg based on his and his friends writing exists. The table top rpg is better then any of his writing ever was.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's fashionable to hate on lovecraft on these forums because sa is populated by like 80% this guy:

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

it's fashionable to hate on lovecraft on these forums because sa is populated by like 80% this guy:

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

i'm not this guy. i'm the guy who says john lennon's music sucked

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shibawanko posted:

i'm not this guy. i'm the guy who says john lennon's music sucked

Indirectly related to that, I'm the guy who says Catcher in the Rye was a terrible book.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think everyone thinks catcher in the rye is a terrible book

Like I've never heard a human being say they like that book and I've heard people saying it's bad like it's a hot take since high school

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Nobody would be reading that book if not for its popularity as high school mandatory reading, so I think any opinion you could reasonably get on it would be skewed. The target audience, whatever it is, will forever be outnumbered by people who had no choice about reading the novel and hate it on that merit alone. It's impossible to say what anyone would think about it without those circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also it's one of those things that is terrible by today's standards but in 1951 no one gave a poo poo what a teenager thought about anything other than what their first job is going to be so it was kind of revolutionary

Now everything revolves around dumb kids and their feelings so in conclusion it is not only terrible but it caused the world to be more terrible