Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for joining me though and everyone else here who came to watch. I cannot believe how easy it is to suddenly find 6 hours has passed in these games. They are captivating and I have a blast with them!!

You and your cohost provide a very entertaining stream so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

DOS2 has successfully won me over, and all it took was adding a mod that brings a respec machine to the first major area of the game. No more second-guessing my character build decisions three hours into the game and endlessly restarting until I burn out

That's one of the official addons these days, no need to even download a mod

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

March games thread title is taking a month off while we prepare a really good one for April Fools

well?????

Jay Rust posted:

DOS2 has successfully won me over, and all it took was adding a mod that brings a respec machine to the first major area of the game. No more second-guessing my character build decisions three hours into the game and endlessly restarting until I burn out

after playing then dropping this game at its launch for moron reasons i am gonna go back to it soon i think, but this time i may look up what the cheesiest, beefiest party build is and do that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I say this every time someone says they don't wanna sit through all of P5 just to get to the new ending but P5R has so much stuff new stuff littered in every single scene that it's basically like playing the game for the first time again

After P5S's summer vacation freedom I don't know if I can go back to the anxiety of time management lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After P5S's summer vacation freedom I don't know if I can go back to the anxiety of time management lol

If it helps, P5R's time management is easy enough that I had like three full weeks of free time in December after maxing every confidant out :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chasing static's a game from the haunted 2021 demo disc that i might keep an eye on, had a nice clean look to it

i like ps1 aesthetic but even more than that i like 60fps HD ps1 aesthetic. i enjoy the look of late 90s PC games in high res

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

April Fools: They Have Stars By Their Names

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gripweed posted:

I played Mass Effect 2 and it was fine but had no desire to play the sequel or the previosu one.

It was so weird that people tried to turn it into a culture war thing. The series had been pitched from the beginning on the gimmick that you decisions mattered and continued on through the series, and at the end the grand total of change your decisions caused was what color the explosion was. Of course people were pissed. i simply do not understand the people who were like, "actually bad things are fine and if you complain that's doing a gamergate"

I think a good part of it was gamers being gamers and making it personal with harrassment and poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reactive plotlines (especially when they're tethered to good/evil mechanics) are one gimmick that i'm very glad has largely fallen by the wayside, with few exceptions they just reduced a game's story into a bunch of mediocre chunks instead of a stronger unified whole

the first bioshock was where i started to sour on them and they went on for a long, long while after that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

reactive plotlines (especially when they're tethered to good/evil mechanics) are one gimmick that i'm very glad has largely fallen by the wayside, with few exceptions they just reduced a game's story into a bunch of mediocre chunks instead of a stronger unified whole

the first bioshock was where i started to sour on them and they went on for a long, long while after that

Counterpoint: those stories are mediocre wholes to begin with, typically

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

That kind of mechanic actually working well is an exception to the system as designed. Pathfinder Kingmaker's major achievement in that category was to let you pick any alignment option for most of the choices and having it shift your alignment around, and occasionally you would get situations where you'd have good/evil/neutral or lawful/chaotic and it was locked based on your alignment at the time, or special outcomes requiring a specific alignment.

It still had the problem of many good/evil choices being comically stupid, like lawful good=letting the assassins go free(they try to kill you again) and lawful evil=killing visitors to your kingdom because you think they are spies(eliminates tons of in game content)

Knights of the Old Republic 2 is one of the few I can think of that did it well, because alignment decisions had long term consequences, would actually affect the game narrative, companions reactions and lines, and the overall way the story played out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The next week is going to be good for that... and by that I mean Outriders.

(also Disco Elysium Final Cut I guess)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I thought the system worked OK in Infamous 2 because it was less good/evil and more selfish/self sacrificing, and they threw a fun twist in the end where I imagine a lot of players were like damnit I was picking the options because I wanted the exact opposite of this!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
no offense but from where I sit most of these "videogames" y'all play look like mere "video toys" because of the way I perceive these to be different things condescendingly

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh yeah well i have so little self worth that i attach my identity to video games, so a critique of video games is a personal attack on me. prepare to face the fury

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
What’s up with Balan Underworld? Something about seizures killing children?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The final boss has what's apparently a bug that causes severe flashing that has even caused people with no epileptic history severe discomfort.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's off-brand NiGHTS directed by Yuji Naka and yeah, there was a scene that apparently could trigger seizures in people that had no history of them.

It also just seems kinda bad, what with being a platforming puzzle game with a bunch of forms that can't jump.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's also sixty drat dollars! that is way too many dollars

that 2D ninja bunny rabbit platformer that's basically just donkey kong came out this week for twenty

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk my friends Urtyo/Ezweg/Gywfm/Wrtmc/Xvews/Dwqsc said Balan is great

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Game of the Year

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Balan Wonderland looks like a game you'd get in discount bundle and never install

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man it looks uh...just awful. I like how instead of doing the thing most games do where NPCs will disappear if you get too far away from to preserve framerate, this game has all NPCs disappear but only if you approach them. You know, why would you want to be near the NPCs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pf9sSpQzA&t=502s

god the animations are so bad

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 29, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it looks like an asset flip

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't play a ton of these AAA western blockbusters but I definitely prefer the Bethesda approach of giving you something to find in just about every direction to the Ubisoft approach of "here's three quests, marked on your map. You can do them in any order cause they're all the same level. You have to walk to them through a big world, but there's nothing to see along the way besides scenery"

That might be an overgeneralization from the single Ubisoft open world game I've played (AC Odyssey) but I hated it

That's pretty accurate, and I think why I pretty quickly burn out with Ubi games, but can play Bethesda games almost endlessly (though I haven't been in the mood recently). Bethesda worlds are hand crafted, which is why they take so long to come out, and that really matters in making them feel like real and intersting places.

You want to explore and see what else is out there. Whilst with an Ubi game, a few hours in you'll likely have seen most of what the game has to offer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

If it helps, P5R's time management is easy enough that I had like three full weeks of free time in December after maxing every confidant out :v:

I watched a stream of the whole first palace and there seemed to be exactly two different scenes lol, I assume it ramps up later but still

The main thing that wants to make me go back is seeing this card minigame they added though lol. The biggest thing seems to be that the game is still near full price and gamefly doesn't have it for rental...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The royal content in P5 is probably the strongest writing persona's had since P2. Barring a few exceptional moments in P3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

balan wonderworld doesn't look like an asset flip, it looks like a game made in Dreams

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I watched a stream of the whole first palace and there seemed to be exactly two different scenes lol, I assume it ramps up later but still

The main thing that wants to make me go back is seeing this card minigame they added though lol. The biggest thing seems to be that the game is still near full price and gamefly doesn't have it for rental...

30 bucks at GameStop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

balan wonderworld doesn't look like an asset flip, it looks like a game made in Dreams
in my yumemiru opinion, thats a compliment

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wuggles posted:

30 bucks at GameStop

Hmm...

Thinking about getting this even though April will be Outriders/Disco month.

Also I still haven't finished Paper Mario... and I have an unopened copy of Sakuna...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A reveal in 13 Sentinels just made me cackle like a madman. I can see why everyone wouldn't shut up about it last year what a fascinating game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm...

Also I still haven't finished Paper Mario... and I have an unopened copy of Sakuna...

Just FYI it's been $30 a few times on PSN as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, it ramps up over time, especially once the school counselor character shows up and you get more scenes with Kasumi. The dungeons are also redesigned, Mementos has more to do and doesn't actually suck anymore, Akechi has a whole new confidant, and then there's the new final story arc.

It's not drastically different throughout but there are a lot of little things that made it fun for me to play through again (and the dungeons/combat are improved quite a lot along the way) even before the third semester.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 29, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm...

Finish Paper Mario god drat it

I’m waiting for DE on god’s console

hatty posted:

A reveal in 13 Sentinels just made me cackle like a madman. I can see why everyone wouldn't shut up about it last year what a fascinating game

What reveal?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have had Paper Mario out for 89 days, so so far I have paid $38 in rental fees for it

Edit: This is better than me renting Atelier Ryza 2 for 43 days and literally not even installing it because I read negative comments here lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 29, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

wuggles posted:

What reveal?

Nothing major but Natsuno calling Yuki “Mom” in the colony future was very sudden and made me laugh because I did not see that coming at all

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

The royal content in P5 is probably the strongest writing persona's had since P2. Barring a few exceptional moments in P3

Tell me more, I've only ever played P2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This streamer I've been watching declined to fuse a Jack Frost and I think that may have been the push I needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: This is better than me renting Atelier Ryza 2 for 43 days and literally not even installing it because I read negative comments here lol

Another fun new feature that is exclusive to Ryza 2 I just learned about yesterday is being wet. Other Atelier games have had rain, but Ryza is the only game to have a unique model for when you are drenched by the rain.

FirstAidKite posted:

Tell me more, I've only ever played P2

Mild spoilers, but some of this is just, the premise of P5 so if you kind of already know whats going on it won't be too bad:

The group accepts that doing a change of heart might feel weird, but their hand is always forced and there's always an impetus that solidifies their decision that what they're doing is for the greater good of the people who are being abused. The new content basically forces the group to actually consider the morality of what they're doing by taking it to its logical conclusion

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 29, 2021