Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I looked up how far in the game Rakna-Kadaki is and I was extremely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

SoS is called "join request" now, it's there but it works a little bit differently. Or you can make a lobby and tag it with what you're doing, if you're farming a specific monster or doing keys or whatever, and hope someone joins. Or join one randomly, whatever

I don't remember from World: do you get credit for completing a key quest if you join someone else's after they put out a join request, or does it have to be your own?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

I don't remember from World: do you get credit for completing a key quest if you join someone else's after they put out a join request, or does it have to be your own?

You definitely got credit for beating a mission in someone elses lobby. I think thats how I did every PC mission since Id already solod the PS4 version

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Professor Latency posted:

Fought rathalos with lance and holy poo poo I'm gonna be spending more time with this weapon. Him flying around like a dick is completely a non-issue

I think clowning Rathalos with a Lance has the distinction of being the oldest pro strat in the series. Didn't the first game allow for stunlocking Rath really easily?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay Rampage quests are a lot more fun in multiplayer. I really don't like them solo but with three other players the chaos turns from "hectic" to "hilarious"

No more insect glaive in Rampages for me though. Getting extracts during the chaos is a bit frustrating. I'll bring the horn next time.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Hammer question: I’ve gotten pretty good at doing charge Impact Craters to stun monsters, but I’m not sure what the best thing to do is once I have them knocked down for a bit. Is there a specific hammer combo that’s best for when you have a monster stunned and down?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

If you don't have wirebugs to do Impact Crater, then Big Bang (A > A > A > A > A).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Aerox posted:

Hammer question: I’ve gotten pretty good at doing charge Impact Craters to stun monsters, but I’m not sure what the best thing to do is once I have them knocked down for a bit. Is there a specific hammer combo that’s best for when you have a monster stunned and down?

So I use hammer but almost never use Crater during the fight itself, but I use the windmill launch all the time. I say that because my go-to to a downed enemy is the full A-button combo and then at the end I drop Crater, which you might not have enough silk charges for if that's what you used to down the monster. I like this combo because like 1/3 of the time it will immediately get stunned again and you can unload another full combo.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My lottery options is missing.

I just had a friend visually confirm it since I am notorious for not seeing menu options. The cat just has buy, sell, meld, amibo, chitchat. Same with the steelworks merchant.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kilazar posted:

My lottery options is missing.

I just had a friend visually confirm it since I am notorious for not seeing menu options. The cat just has buy, sell, meld, amibo, chitchat. Same with the steelworks merchant.

It only shows up during sales.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I use hammer but almost never use Crater during the fight itself, but I use the windmill launch all the time. I say that because my go-to to a downed enemy is the full A-button combo and then at the end I drop Crater, which you might not have enough silk charges for if that's what you used to down the monster. I like this combo because like 1/3 of the time it will immediately get stunned again and you can unload another full combo.

Full Big Bang + Impact Crater is like 15 seconds worth of attack animations. No way a monster is down for the entirety of that, you have a high chance of missing the Crater and/or getting hit out of it.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

If a monster is ko'd (lightning stuff coming off their head) you can totally do big bang into impact crater. They usually start to stand up as the impact crater is ascending but you'll hit it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone done the Amiibo scanning yet?

Does it just need to be MH ones?

What did you get from it?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ojetor posted:

Full Big Bang + Impact Crater is like 15 seconds worth of attack animations. No way a monster is down for the entirety of that, you have a high chance of missing the Crater and/or getting hit out of it.

I mean I do it every time to every enemy

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
For hammer, don't forget you can swap back to the default charge mode to instantly get a full charge, that can help you squeeze in a max charge impact crater just at the end of a knockdown.

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone done the Amiibo scanning yet?

Does it just need to be MH ones?

What did you get from it?

Non MH amiibos get you a random draw at the lottery, so a couple free consumable items. Not a big deal.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I mean I do it every time to every enemy

Is Windmill Launch the A-X-X combo or is it the stage 2 charge?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Aerox posted:

Is Windmill Launch the A-X-X combo or is it the stage 2 charge?

No sorry thats not the actual name of it, I don't know the names of basically any attacks in this game. It's the default Silkbind skill on the X button, the one that only takes one charge that launches you spinning forward in the air. Though, I do use the blue-form stage 2 charge move all the time. I usually lead combos with that, it's got great vertical range and also has a little dash on it so it's one of your best moves range-wise.

my general hammer strategy is to always be moving, use the level 2 charge blue-form lunge attack to initiate, then combo into the X combo. The A combo I only use if I know I'm gonna have some free time. I'll use the silkbind skills to reposition or hit things out of my range, only using Impact Crater to finish off a Big Bang A-button combo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

For hammer, don't forget you can swap back to the default charge mode to instantly get a full charge, that can help you squeeze in a max charge impact crater just at the end of a knockdown.

Non MH amiibos get you a random draw at the lottery, so a couple free consumable items. Not a big deal.

What do the MH specific ones get you?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No sorry thats not the actual name of it, I don't know the names of basically any attacks in this game. It's the default Silkbind skill on the X button, the one that only takes one charge that launches you spinning forward in the air. Though, I do use the blue-form stage 2 charge move all the time. I usually lead combos with that, it's got great vertical range and also has a little dash on it so it's one of your best moves range-wise.

my general hammer strategy is to always be moving, use the level 2 charge blue-form lunge attack to initiate, then combo into the X combo. The A combo I only use if I know I'm gonna have some free time. I'll use the silkbind skills to reposition or hit things out of my range, only using Impact Crater to finish off a Big Bang A-button combo.

Thank you!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, I caved. Bought the game. Love the game.

Silkbind attacks are amazing fun, and absolutely break open some weapons. Yes I would like a full weapon charge and block all damage with my Charge Blade. Yes I would like to stagger a monster for free with LongSword. More Dual Blade damage? How nice of you!

They just gave you a super power button and it's wonderous.

I found out the hard way that Hub Quests don't scale (42 minutes and 2 faints with starter gear), the dango song is great, Kamura village is a nice and simple hub, and the armor sets have this fun, distinct feel from World. It's impressive that they got all of this running on a Switch.

And Palamutes are the goodest doggos. I named mine Amaterasu and gave it a red/white palette.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

What do the MH specific ones get you?
Some special layered armor the first time you scan them, afterwards they function the same as any amiibo.

Mangnamalo also unlocks the Fish Collar Armor Piece for Palico and Shuriken Collar Armor Piece for Palamute, as I understand it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Already finding myself regretting picking a female character. The armor isn't completely awful, but it's all just so much worse compared to the male.

I looked at the Almudron armor and then looked up the male one and was devastated. Really hoping they release a DLC thing that lets me switch, like they did in World.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hogama posted:

Some special layered armor the first time you scan them, afterwards they function the same as any amiibo.

Mangnamalo also unlocks the Fish Collar Armor Piece for Palico and Shuriken Collar Armor Piece for Palamute, as I understand it.

Nice! Is there any truth to the rumor that the MH Stories give stuff? I heard that thrown around.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Two quick questions: Can you not skip the "wow good job you killed the monster" cutscene at the end of missions that yanks the camera out of your control in this game? Iirc in 4U/gen you could just hit start and immediately regain camera control, it was really useful sometimes.

Followup: am I blind or can you also no longer choose to skip the timer on quest completion and return immediately anymore?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can dodge roll after giving out likes if you're with others. Arrow, Down Arrow, B to get outta dat camera spin!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1376370669580120068

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Wrist Watch posted:

Two quick questions: Can you not skip the "wow good job you killed the monster" cutscene at the end of missions that yanks the camera out of your control in this game? Iirc in 4U/gen you could just hit start and immediately regain camera control, it was really useful sometimes.

Followup: am I blind or can you also no longer choose to skip the timer on quest completion and return immediately anymore?

You can just hit B to cancel the victory cam. (You still move around while doing it, so careful you don't roll off a cliff!)

Not sure about the timer, I haven't looked for that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Snake Maze posted:

You can just hit B to cancel the victory cam. (You still move around while doing it, so careful you don't roll off a cliff!)

Not sure about the timer, I haven't looked for that.

Oh huh, could swear I tried that. I'll give it another shot next time I do a hunt.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Nice! Is there any truth to the rumor that the MH Stories give stuff? I heard that thrown around.
As far as I can tell they're only treated as generic amiibos. I wouldn't know if the MH Stories 2 ones will give anything in Rise, though, since they aren't out yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh huh, could swear I tried that. I'll give it another shot next time I do a hunt.

iirc the thing with it is that you have to let it play for a couple seconds, so if you hit B right away then it doesn't skip

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m pretty sure they announced that the Stories amibos would give you Stories based armor in Rise.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Two things I hope get patched:

1) Ability to turn off the hunting horn song list. Right now you can only turn it off if you also turn off the note bar and infernal melody tracker. The song list takes up like 1/4 of the screen, it's really dumb.

2) Ability to change voice after character creation. Right now the option is there but you can't actually select a different voice, apparently it's for dlc voices.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
Goddamn this owns.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Okay if you haven't seen Rathalos and Magnamalo throw down, you need to take the first Rathalos mission in the Lava map and just wait around for it because drat!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Johnny Joestar posted:

iirc the thing with it is that you have to let it play for a couple seconds, so if you hit B right away then it doesn't skip

Yep, that was it. I think I'd tried mashing it before but must have done it too early.

On another note I think crouch carving doesn't seem to be in the game and frankly, good riddance. That was always such a weird mechanic.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

1) Ability to turn off the hunting horn song list. Right now you can only turn it off if you also turn off the note bar and infernal melody tracker. The song list takes up like 1/4 of the screen, it's really dumb.

i have posted like three times about this already and i will post about it again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I made a set of Tetranodon armor and it looks like I’m wearing power armor from Fallout

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

How are the load times on Switch? I checked out MHW on PS4 and hated it, until I played on my SSD PC and that literally was all it took for me to like the game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok how the heck do you get the BBQ? I looked at the menu options and I just can’t find it. The tool tip didn’t help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

How are the load times on Switch? I checked out MHW on PS4 and hated it, until I played on my SSD PC and that literally was all it took for me to like the game.

the load times are pretty fuckin good