Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

Apparently this is a British thing.

A bunch of brits elsewhere on this godforsaken forum were discussing that Colin the Caterpillar is a British thing.

Apparently I should know this if I am really British.

What the gently caress goons. What are you up to?

Is this some highly regional thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Mebh posted:

A bunch of brits elsewhere on this godforsaken forum were discussing that Colin the Caterpillar is a British thing.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/food-to-order/not-just-any-food/mands-brands/colin-the-caterpillar

Yeah, they are quite nice :)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Maugrim posted:

From what I've heard (via Dr John Campbell whose YouTube channel I still watch regularly) the shortage is genuine and is due to a ban on vaccine exports from India, who produce a substantial amount of the UK's AstraZeneca vaccine. As noted though we are (finally) starting to ramp up local production, and the Moderna jab is expected to start being available fairly imminently, so the shortage should be temporary.

Dr* John Campbell is a bit of a moron and I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says. The video of his I watched was him painfully misinterpreting some studies. Watch with a big pinch of salt IMO

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if we're doing british food horror this was posted in the AFP thread and I think it should have been an option on the recent head of state poll.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mebh posted:

First time I've ever seen a homemade Colin the Caterpillar. Its a birthday thing, and you'd get one from M&S who, and I am making myself a target for the class warriors here in the thread here, do some awesome food. The iced and spiced fruited buns are incredible.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

I distinctly remember a birthday party I had as a kid where we had a Colin the Caterpillar cake. I had the head slice with all the extra icing and stuff because it was my birthday

Then I spilt my coke all over my slice and ruined it and had no cake at all :cry:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gorn Myson posted:

First time I've ever seen a homemade Colin the Caterpillar. Its a birthday thing, and you'd get one from M&S who, and I am making myself a target for the class warriors here in the thread here, do some awesome food. The iced and spiced fruited buns are incredible.

I never understand why M&S don't come in for the same condemnation that Waitrose do when M&S is a LOT more expensive and exclusive than Waitrose (and Waitrose is in fact cheaper than Co-op on like for like lines).

I'm Home Bargains woman myself - and btw I heartily recommend Home Bargains "Indi Grand Dal Makhani" it is absolutely freaking gorgeous, takes 2 mins to cook in the microwave and costs 79p per packet. Says 'serves 2' on the packet but unless I'm 'eating for 2' (highly improbable), it does 1 very nicely thanks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wrong thread.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Someone in Starmer team apparently not happy about Thelma Walker.
Not sure what her source is.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1376291642060197888?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

You only go for M&S for your bits, only a madman does a full shop there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah - want to buy a sandwich in there, go in waving your proof of funds.
Mind you, I'm now craving a Caterpillar cake thanks to TT.
I might settle for a binge on Greggs donuts tomorrow instead.

That said, there are people round here who DO do their full shop in there!
We are a peculiar location, we have 7 or 8 wards, one of which is in the worst 20% of Wales 'multiple deprivation' figures and one ward which is very near one of the best in terms of wealth and education.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 29, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I quite like the cartoon caterpillar, the actual cake is loving horrifying. Tastes good, though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Interesting summary tweet of the architects of labour misery over the Corbyn years:

https://twitter.com/Thegiest/status/1376306148568076291?s=20

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I never understand why M&S don't come in for the same condemnation that Waitrose do when M&S is a LOT more expensive and exclusive than Waitrose (and Waitrose is in fact cheaper than Co-op on like for like lines).

I'm Home Bargains woman myself - and btw I heartily recommend Home Bargains "Indi Grand Dal Makhani" it is absolutely freaking gorgeous, takes 2 mins to cook in the microwave and costs 79p per packet. Says 'serves 2' on the packet but unless I'm 'eating for 2' (highly improbable), it does 1 very nicely thanks.
M&S are a bit more prevalent than Waitrose from what I can tell, and you are 100% correct with Home Bargains.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mind you, I'm now craving a Caterpillar cake thanks to TT.
Get literally any other baked good M&S does. Even the lemon drizzle is way better than the Colin.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I will do horrible things in the evitable Mad Max hell-nearfuture we're full throttle accelerating towards for just a single Percy Pig.

lol if you do your big shop at M&S though. loving posho.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
M&S did a nice pizza once but then they seemed to stop selling it. They're on my enemies list

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Their dine in two for a tenner was mint but I think it’s £15 now which takes it out of insane value and into merely pretty good value

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

M&S clearances at the end of the day are also incredible. I've had ready-made curries out of there marked down from £7 to 90p because the date was that day. Check in near their closing and look for the yellow stickers, you'll eat like a loving king.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My blood pressure was a bit low so I've been reading comments under articles. People banging on that Corbyn lost two elections for Labour. Well who lost the two elections for Labour before that then, and both those leaders were to the right of Corbyn.
Anyway, blood pressure now a bit high.

:suretheresableedingiconheresomewhere:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
M&S does absurdly good own brand gluten free stuff, like it's actually impressive, they must have a well funded dedicated R&D department because it's better than most of the stuff put out by dedicated GF companies. It costs a fortune for what it is but I do occasionally treat myself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

one thing that's very funny is the performance and concomitant polling collapse of keith "keir" starmer

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Sell that pic as an NFT.

In my mind NFT means something where you'd look at the price and say "no loving thanks"

I am not sure what it actually stands for

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Convex posted:

In my mind NFT means something where you'd look at the price and say "no loving thanks"

I am not sure what it actually stands for

you got it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
People have worked out that paying thousands of dollars for a hyperlink to a jpeg which could disappear if one of the NFT companies has a data loss isn't actually the best thing ever now and the prices are collapsing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I enjoyed this reference

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So is Dodds getting sacked or what. Half of Twitter's talking like it's already happened.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

So is Dodds getting sacked or what. Half of Twitter's talking like it's already happened.

Sacking her before the humiliation of the impending local election humiliation is real loving dumb, so yeah, it's probably happening because these people aren't just politically monstrous but every bit as tactically inept as the Corbyn leadership.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

of course, the question remains: is Kieth trying to destroy the Labour Party? Because everything he and his cronies are doing will lead to the complete and utter destruction of the Labour Party.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Sacking her before the humiliation of the impending local election humiliation is real loving dumb, so yeah, it's probably happening because these people aren't just politically monstrous but every bit as tactically inept as the Corbyn leadership.

Tbh at this point they're somehow making Corbyn look pretty savvy which is a real lol

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Ms Adequate posted:

one thing that's very funny is the performance and concomitant polling collapse of keith "keir" starmer

Honestly, this whole thing is reminding me of the XBox One launch.

We are abandoning our primary demographic (people who play games) to go after a completely different audience (people who watch TV). Replace (people who play games) with (leftists) and (people who watch TV) with (Tory Voters) and it's almost identical in car crash size.

See also Justice League, the Joss Whedon version.

I mean you could also apply to loads of other things, it's amazing how many times people make this exact same mistake.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1376263291580907522?s=19

Reading Shakespeare as foreplay while you cheat on your wife whose busy going through cancer, the party of morality.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hoping that Johnson releases his own version of the Reynolds Pamphlet and details every disgusting lurid detail of his horrible sex life before the press can publish

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean. Its easier to fall into than you think.

I worked for a company that primarily made games for 40+ women. It was a dwindling market share. I became convinced we had to expand our audience or die.

So I poured resources into making a completely different game. Targeted at young women. We had no young women in the company but eh, details. Sink or swim right.

The game was a colossal failure. Sure every young woman we got to try it enjoyed it but our entire market apparatus, all our user testing, all our experience was in a different market. We couldn't get anyone to even look at us twice.

The difference being this was a throwaway project that we took a calculated risk on.

Maybe that's how the labour right really view the party? Something they can take a risk and throw away if it doesn't work. After all. We'll all still vote for them right? Right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Reading Shakespeare as foreplay while you cheat on your wife whose busy going through cancer, the party of morality.

What a piece of work is Johnson. How ignoble in reason, how finite in faculty. In form and moving how Express and Spectator. In action how like a devil, in apprehension how like a dog. The ugliness of the world; the parody of animals.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Everything about corporate culture now emphasis the ability to "pivot", and also to pursue relentless QoQ increases with no real long-term strategy or acknowledgement that endless expansion/consumption isnt realistic or even logically possible. Hardly surprising that this mindset is popular with technocrat melts as well

Jedit posted:

What a piece of work is Johnson. How ignoble in reason, how finite in faculty. In form and moving how Express and Spectator. In action how like a devil, in apprehension how LIKE A DOG. The ugliness of the world; the parody of animals.

Reading this like a Trump tweet. Sad!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

I mean. Its easier to fall into than you think.

I worked for a company that primarily made games for 40+ women. It was a dwindling market share. I became convinced we had to expand our audience or die.

So I poured resources into making a completely different game. Targeted at young women. We had no young women in the company but eh, details. Sink or swim right.

The game was a colossal failure. Sure every young woman we got to try it enjoyed it but our entire market apparatus, all our user testing, all our experience was in a different market. We couldn't get anyone to even look at us twice.

The difference being this was a throwaway project that we took a calculated risk on.

Maybe that's how the labour right really view the party? Something they can take a risk and throw away if it doesn't work. After all. We'll all still vote for them right? Right?

Pretty sure the point is to inveigle themselves so deeply into the finance/media/political ecosystem that they no longer have to rely on people voting for them. They may dream of being the next Tony Blair, but they'll happily settle for being the next John Mann or Ian Austin.

It's very difficult for ordinary people to make liveable money from politics, and that ensures that only the most disgusting, self-interested people can do so using the most disgusting, self-interested tactics. Ever wonder why local councillors have an expenses budget but no salary for their work? Encouraging the mindset of the Labour right is why.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 29, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Venomous posted:

of course, the question remains: is Kieth trying to destroy the Labour Party? Because everything he and his cronies are doing will lead to the complete and utter destruction of the Labour Party.

they def vote tory imo

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1376263291580907522?s=19

that is wildly inaccurate because i cannot imagine boris doing sex to ever be something you could describe as "making love". it's bonking or rumpy pumpy

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty sure the point is to inveigle themselves so deeply into the finance/media/political ecosystem that they no longer have to rely on people voting for them. They may dream of being the next Tony Blair, but they'll happily settle for being the next John Mann or Ian Austin.

If you turn your entire party into a nationwide CUKTIG you might well hope to be a Chuka Umunna, but most of them are going to be lucky to end up as Mike Gapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He just calls it "A bit of Johnson" which grinning and dribbling a little bit.