Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PyPy posted:

my boss needed help with an excel formula today and I poo poo you not, this was his formula. I had to take a picture. bonus: his formula wasn’t working because he was pointing to the wrong cell

I love this

I got into an argument with someone about how excel handles order of operations and despite showing them exactly how it works and pulling up supporting documentation, they were having absolutley none of it so their formulas were still giving wrong numbers when I left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

happyhippy posted:

A friend introduced Autohotkey to his company, and was promoted to executive management near instantly. Still there, hailed as a macro god.

In a just world this would be the norm.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Kullik posted:

So about a month ago we had to set our "personal goals" for the year.
This was different this year in that instead of just having a description for each one we write and a weighting for each, we have to make a powerpoint presentation from a template we're given and theres another 20 slide powerpoint explaining how to do it.
We submitted that to the system, after having my manager explain it to me because those 20 slides werent enough for me to get it.
There was some ridiculously close deadline for doing this because reasons but i managed it a few days before.

Today revision 2 just came out so i have to do it again because they didnt like how the first one came out so they want us to start over, so not only was the deadline meaningless but now i need to make basically the same thing but slightly differently.

none of this is really related to my fuckin job lol

lol what in the actual gently caress? this sounds like a lovely assignment from high school

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

irpoweroutlet posted:

lol what in the actual gently caress? this sounds like a lovely assignment from high school

Yeah i really get that vibe from it, i have to like talk about how im gonna submit X amount of relevant feedback and update X number of entries in our internal wiki and do X number hours of training and stuff.
i sort of get it, its because HR have no fuckin idea what my job is so they want me to write what im doing my manager to say, hes doing it and its good and then they give me my grade for the year and that determines if i get a pay rise.

But also my manager could just send them a report and suggest a grade idk.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Kullik posted:

So about a month ago we had to set our "personal goals" for the year.
This was different this year in that instead of just having a description for each one we write and a weighting for each, we have to make a powerpoint presentation from a template we're given and theres another 20 slide powerpoint explaining how to do it.
We submitted that to the system, after having my manager explain it to me because those 20 slides werent enough for me to get it.
There was some ridiculously close deadline for doing this because reasons but i managed it a few days before.

Today revision 2 just came out so i have to do it again because they didnt like how the first one came out so they want us to start over, so not only was the deadline meaningless but now i need to make basically the same thing but slightly differently.

none of this is really related to my fuckin job lol

This is how my place does annual objectives too. It's step one in a vast review process that is doing something or other six months out of the year only to eject universal slightly less than inflation pay rises and no us allocation based on booked hours.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kullik posted:

Yeah i really get that vibe from it, i have to like talk about how im gonna submit X amount of relevant feedback and update X number of entries in our internal wiki and do X number hours of training and stuff.
i sort of get it, its because HR have no fuckin idea what my job is so they want me to write what im doing my manager to say, hes doing it and its good and then they give me my grade for the year and that determines if i get a pay rise.

But also my manager could just send them a report and suggest a grade idk.

Oh!

But you left out the part where your boss is going to dump all manner of random poo poo on you during the year, and even though you complete all of THAT garbage plus MOST of the goals you wrote at the beginning of the year, and EVEN THOUGH you have a weekly 1:1 cadence meeting with your boss, keeping him appraised of everything you are currently working on and he's like "oh yeah, top notch, good job being flexible with all this" he'll find one thing that you didn't do that was on your goal list and be like "I think you have a problem with prioritization so I can really only give you the average rating this year again."

Of course, when you say something like "You haven't mentioned that at all this year; I said I was back-burnering it for other projects and those projects still continue" he'll say something like "Yeah, but I still expected it to get done this year, rating stands"

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Covid burnout and an acquisition means we're expecting an even larger post bonus exodus than usual this year. I can't wait for the angry Glassdoor reviews that focus on single weird issues.

SMELLY POO IN TOILET

RECEPTIONIST REFUSES TO LEARN MY NAMEDESPITE SEEING ME ONCE A FORTNIGHT ON AND OFF FOR THREE MONTHS

FISH AND CHIPS ON FRIDAYS ONLY AND NOT EVER DAY

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

I love this

I got into an argument with someone about how excel handles order of operations and despite showing them exactly how it works and pulling up supporting documentation, they were having absolutley none of it so their formulas were still giving wrong numbers when I left.

isnt how excel handles order of operations the same way everyone handles order of operations ??

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

thathonkey posted:

isnt how excel handles order of operations the same way everyone handles order of operations ??

Not the OP, but I'm not really sure . . . I just keep adding parenthesis until it does it in the order I want :shrug:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

thathonkey posted:

Excel handles order of operations the way everyone should handle it. That's not the same as the way everyone does.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dont they teach freakin pemdas any more

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I bet it'll give some hosed up stuff with exponents or weird operators people don't think about or poo poo like it goes strictly from left to right when if you wrote the same expression on paper it wouldn't mean the same thing

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
We had to put together review slides for a project estimate that we've been working on in various phases for over a year. One slide was supposed to be a pie chart showing the breakdown of cost increases since last estimate.

Only problem, we had a mix of increases and deducts. The first directive was "show the negative numbers on the pie chart alongside the positive ones."

Have you ever mixed positive and negative percentages on an excel pie chart? It'll let you do it, but it just means you have a useless chart. So we also provided a waterfall chart showing the adds and deducts and a path to the current price.

"No, this will confuse them and get us into the weeds," came the direction. "Delete the waterfall, and take the negative numbers off and just show the scope growth."

So now we are showing a pie chart that shows our scope grew by 750k, when in fact it is a million dollars cheaper.

Whatever, I just work here...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

We had to put together review slides for a project estimate that we've been working on in various phases for over a year. One slide was supposed to be a pie chart showing the breakdown of cost increases since last estimate.

Only problem, we had a mix of increases and deducts. The first directive was "show the negative numbers on the pie chart alongside the positive ones."

Have you ever mixed positive and negative percentages on an excel pie chart? It'll let you do it, but it just means you have a useless chart. So we also provided a waterfall chart showing the adds and deducts and a path to the current price.

"No, this will confuse them and get us into the weeds," came the direction. "Delete the waterfall, and take the negative numbers off and just show the scope growth."

So now we are showing a pie chart that shows our scope grew by 750k, when in fact it is a million dollars cheaper.

Wish I could do this to whoever made that decision:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Can you make negative segments hollow or a 3d pie where they're shoved lower under the positive ones

Not related but what's the name of the chart where it's groups of blocks, I needed that one and could never figure out how to make it work

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is a mood.

I thought the people in upper management were supposed to be the best and the brightest! Isn't that how they got there, after all?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Can you make negative segments hollow or a 3d pie where they're shoved lower under the positive ones

A klein bottle version of a pie chart which is simultaneously positive and negative values in the same space you're meddling in forbidden pie techniques that are beyond the ken of man

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Zarin posted:

This is a mood.

I thought the people in upper management were supposed to be the best and the brightest! Isn't that how they got there, after all?

With each passing day the lie of meritocracy becomes more and more apparent.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
At my work place you have to fail horribly and cost the companies thousands/millions to move up.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Could you make everything a positive interger with no direct label and then just add labels to it showing it being negative?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Full Metal Jackass posted:

At my work place you have to fail horribly and cost the companies thousands/millions to move up.

"failing upwards" sounds like a great joke until youve worked at a large corporation

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Can you just say "gently caress it" and do what you wanted in the first place, correctly showing that it's actually going to cost less now?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can you add both visualizations to the spreadsheet? Sell it as "another way of looking at the numbers". I dunno.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thathonkey posted:

"failing upwards" sounds like a great joke until youve worked at a large corporation

I had an office manager once who got promoted because he was tall. He had absolutely no other positive qualities.

We'd known about him for a while because he used to manage a team in the other office and caused us a shitload of extra work through his ridiculous incompetence, then one day .... there he was. That guy we already fuckin' hated, now in charge of everyone.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had an office manager once who got promoted because he was tall. He had absolutely no other positive qualities.

We'd known about him for a while because he used to manage a team in the other office and caused us a shitload of extra work through his ridiculous incompetence, then one day .... there he was. That guy we already fuckin' hated, now in charge of everyone.

Misinterpretation of "head and shoulders above the rest" strikes again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Being tall makes it easier to suck off those above you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Your boss is trying to shift his budget, your more realistic and understandable representations get in the way of that.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Volmarias posted:

Your boss is trying to shift his budget, your more realistic and understandable representations get in the way of that.

If only there was a way to convey this concept

A man can dream though, a man can dream

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Volmarias posted:

Nah, it is a construction project we are bidding. I obviously can't say much about it for NDA reasons. It's just dumbass management setting themselves up for failure presenting to executive management. I'd love to be in the room when they have to reconcile the charts showing an increase with the review books that show the opposite.

I'll try to help once, but after that they can walk face first into the rakes.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Can you just say "gently caress it" and do what you wanted in the first place, correctly showing that it's actually going to cost less now?

Do they pay me enough to care this much? (this would not be received well.)

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 28, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Do they pay me enough to care this much? (this would not be received well.)

Life goal: Financial stability and independence such that I can do something like this, dunk on every single manager in the room, and then go back to my desk and not give a single gently caress if they walk me out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pie charts are normally a bad idea. So many better graphing options exist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goatface posted:

Pie charts are normally a bad idea. So many better graphing options exist.

I made a handy pie chart of the most popular graphing options in case anyone needs a visual aid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The hell why aren't these %s labeled? The only Legend I refer to stars a young Tom Cruise

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

One of the supervisors at my last job got her position because she let the Call Center Manager bum smokes off of him and also hooked the Call Center manger up with a vape pen setup. She was one of the worst leaders I have ever seen in any job I worked at. She commanded no respect from the people she led and she almost cried every time when she had to do discipline meetings so someone in HR had to do them with lovely supervisor in the room to witness it.

Thankfully she fired when she was forging signatures of employees to avoid doing any more discipline meetings. All she had to do was call someone to her desk, get them to sign a piece of paper and ask if everything is alright and if there is anything the company can do to accommodate them. I had to do it all the time at my current job when HR is out of the office as payroll.

Does it become awkward to see a grown man cry about a record of absence because their wife found out they were cheating on them as they kept leaving work early 3 hours into the shift so they had called in sick to resolve their home stress issues? Sure it does but it's not as bad as she made it out to be. Give them EPA number and tell them they can talk to you at any time without judgement. Sure I get called a femboy by the dock workers because I don't shave my head or go mudding but whatever, I love my job.

Edit: I just got a email from IT telling me that the headphone DAC I used for MS Teams meetings has the potential to steal data from the servers and I can't connect it to my work pc. I plugged my headset into my laptop and show them it is too unpowered to drive the most basic headset during a call with them. They now want a amazon link to my dac amp so they do some "internal testing".

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 28, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
First day back at work after nearly a month of training and holiday. So far there's been a false fire alarm and I've found out the global organisation has banned the use of date stamps. This is going to add up to hours of extra writing and terrible RSI for my team. I feel this post:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Marmaduke! posted:

banned the use of date stamps. This is going to add up to hours of extra writing and terrible RSI for my team.

Huh, this just made me realise why digital timestamps are called that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At first I thought you mean they banned putting dates on anything which would have been weird anywhere but in the context of this thread.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Maybe next time! But yeah this is a literal ink stamp that would be used a hundred times a day by one of my staff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The same company I mentioned earlier was mostly middle-aged women that printed out every single email and stored them in something like thirty filing cabinets around the office and warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Outrail posted:

Woah. The world really is a gently caress.

Actually the world is a vampire sent to draaaaaaaain.