Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just imagine the tragedy of having to give up this lifestyle:

This looks like the most comfortably racist place on Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

there's a circle of hell that's nothing but Rangers pubs

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just imagine the tragedy of having to give up this lifestyle:

Imagine living in spain, visiting a random bar and be greeted by this sight. Can't run fast enough

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

[UK] I am not qualified to 'read'

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Continuity RCP posted:

Rangers scarf up just in case you were in any doubt about the kind of place that is

I'm not familiar with the politics of Scottish football - are Rangers usually associated with racismBritish chauvinism?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Junkozeyne posted:

Imagine living in spain, visiting a random bar and be greeted by this sight. Can't run fast enough

"I'd love to just sit here and chat with the locals, but they never seem to want to come in." said Arthur Expat-Taxevader, 64, wearing a Three Lions shirt and drinking a pint of Walter Raleigh beer on Tuesday lunchtime. "Probably because we don't serve tapas eh! EH!"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

shirts and skins posted:

I'm not familiar with the politics of Scottish football - are Rangers usually associated with racismBritish chauvinism?

They're the Glasgow team associated with Protestantism and Unionism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

shirts and skins posted:

Football in Glasgow in particular is mostly about the reformation & British unionism. Or it feels that way anyway. Celtic were started by a monk for the large number of Irish immigrants to the city. Rangers weren't founded for sectarian reasons but sort of picked up the protestant identity as a reaction to Celtic's success & eventually ended up with an unwritten policy of not knowingly signing Catholic players. This started to change in the '80s but is still firmly embedded with a chunk of their support. Celtic fans would sing songs about the IRA & Rangers fans would sing songs about being up their knees in Fenian blood.

It was all very well known & public: there was a BBC sketch about it in the 70s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1zH2x1-7LA

If you ever come to Glasgow, avoid the weekend around the 12th of July unless you want to see the worst people in the city clogging up the streets in their lovely Northern Irish tribute act march. With their lovely out of tune whistles & out of time drums. Other top tip, never live opposite an Orange Lodge unless you hate yourself or can make plans to retreat to some other location for the weekend.

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Mar 29, 2021

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

oh god even the football clubs are political signals? this hole is too deep

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

barbecue at the folks posted:

This looks like the most comfortably racist place on Earth

the image is pretty dire too

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
That's really interesting, thanks. Had no idea that flavor of sectarianism had crossed the Irish Sea.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

most definitely

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I grew up thinking a fenian was a celtic supporter

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's not unknown if some stranger starts talking to you in a Glasgow pub they'll eventually ask you "who's your team?" And if you don't say one of Rangers or Celtic they then ask "aye, but who is your big team?" Don't answer that & they'll eventually get to asking what school you went to, because most comprehensives in Scotland have a name after the area you're in, but the Roman Catholic schools are all St This or That. And then they know.

It's an odd side of a lovely city.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/29/lifelong-tory-voters-abandoning-party-over-cladding-crisis

quote:

Lifelong Tory voters abandoning party over cladding crisis

We were happy until the leopards started eating us.

quote:

Apartment owners, some of whom have supported the Tories since Margaret Thatcher set out her vision of a “property-owning democracy”, said they can no longer vote for a party which they argue is placing the interests of property developers and freeholders above homeowners.

shocking, nobody could have predicted this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

It's not unknown if some stranger starts talking to you in a Glasgow pub they'll eventually ask you "who's your team?" And if you don't say one of Rangers or Celtic they then ask "aye, but who is your big team?" Don't answer that & they'll eventually get to asking what school you went to, because most comprehensives in Scotland have a name after the area you're in, but the Roman Catholic schools are all St This or That. And then they know.

It's an odd side of a lovely city.

my parents did aweekend trip to glasgow and apparently as they were walking along a street someone looked at my dad as they walked past and pretended to play a flute(?)

if you're in NI you'll get asked if you're catholic or protestant and they won't accept jewish as an answer

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jose posted:

my parents did aweekend trip to glasgow and apparently as they were walking along a street someone looked at my dad as they walked past and pretended to play a flute(?)

if you're in NI you'll get asked if you're catholic or protestant and they won't accept jewish as an answer

Yeah I have an uncle who likes to travel and visit distant relatives around the world. He's American but looks extremely Irish. He was in Belfast in the late '90s or early 2000s and had someone cross a street to tell him to "gently caress the pope you papist bastard." No promoting. That visit ended early.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

ok which football team is the most goth/atheist? man u?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lMWtAdvVAY

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as an American I know this is a dodgy thing to say but England may be the worst place in the world. lots of evidence for it at least .

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

there is absolutely no maybe about it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

America is still worse

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagine living in England. Fairly hosed up thing to imagine

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pryor on Fire posted:

ok which football team is the most goth/atheist? man u?

Goths hate football

If you are English antifa who watches football you support Liverpool

If you are English antifa who doesn't watch football you support FC St Pauli

Also Man U fans are the epitome of "Matching White Range Rover with number plates WORKING and CLASS", people actually from Manchester support Man City

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jose posted:

America is still worse

It's not even close.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

as an American I know this is a dodgy thing to say but England may be the worst place in the world. lots of evidence for it at least .

I mean, it's definitely bad but the NHS is a saving grace. Sure, we're all made miserable by our lovely country and the dehumanization of late capitalism, but at least the antidepressants are cheap (I think it's £10 a month in England unlessyou're on the dole? Prescriptions are free for everyone in Scotland lol)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Love to live in the imperial centre and think a dead empire is any worse

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

forkboy84 posted:

I mean, it's definitely bad but the NHS is a saving grace. Sure, we're all made miserable by our lovely country and the dehumanization of late capitalism, but at least the antidepressants are cheap (I think it's £10 a month in England unlessyou're on the dole? Prescriptions are free for everyone in Scotland lol)
you can get them to prescribe two months at once without too much hassle, pro tip

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

MikeCrotch posted:

Goths hate football

If you are English antifa who watches football you support AFC Liverpool

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm sure this will stop starmer going on the fascist power hour show as a guest

https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1376509974646521857?s=20

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

forkboy84 posted:

If you get a PPC it's £10 a month for a your prescriptions and two months free

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't even know if i'm supposed to pay for prescriptions rn because they just assume i'm unemployed and give me the prescription lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you'd think a labour mp for liverpool would have more important concerns in politics than NIP using a whippet in their symbol. weird nobody criticises the lib dems for having a dove or whatever it is

https://twitter.com/KimJohnsonMP/status/1376500601308200963?s=20

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

shirts and skins posted:

Imagine all the sectarianism of Ulster back in the bad old days crammed into an area the size of a city, just remove the guns and bombs. I know people who have travelled to Glasgow to go to matches and they are almost always surprised by how tense things are.

I'm always surprised at how savage Glaswegians are when they come over here too. A lorry driver I know was away for the week and he let a group of them stay in his flat. They trashed the place. He found a raw vegetable roll lying in the corner with a bite taken out of it. Vegetable rolls are made with raw minced pork.

He didn't know what the little balls were in his bathtub, it turns out they were using Daz washing machine tablets as soap.

My friend went over there to study when he was in his early twenties. He was avoiding stepping on heroin needles everytime he went outside. He was told not to leave his flat unless he was armed. He got around this by carrying a little skateboard under his arm.

The Glasgow Effect.

quote:

Although lower income levels are generally associated with poor health and shorter lifespan, epidemiologists have argued that poverty alone does not appear to account for the disparity found in Glasgow.

Oh really? I'm sorry if any Glaswegians are reading this, I've met some who seemed to be quite civil.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

with how this story has escalated over the last year she was deffo pegging him at some point

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1376531278841966601?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

not convinced that weird sex acts is going to damage johnson's image tbh

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

not convinced that weird sex acts is going to damage johnson's image tbh

If it comes out Starmer would probably pivot to being a weird puritan

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

America is still worse

nah thats the comforting lie we have clung to for decades but its blatantly untrue now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

nah thats the comforting lie we have clung to for decades but its blatantly untrue now

While the NHS is still creaking along we'll be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

with how this story has escalated over the last year she was deffo pegging him at some point

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1376531278841966601?s=20

If that represents honesty and integrity no wonder this country is up the swanee without a paddle.