Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just died after taking 25+ fall damage from double jumping my way over a 4 height stone wall on my base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Murdoch posted:

Idea and credit of the sexy stick figures should go to user rydiafan (and his friend), who posted these wonderful creations back in page 84 and I copied them.

Happy to be of inspiration. Yours are wonderful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

litany of gulps posted:

I just died after taking 25+ fall damage from double jumping my way over a 4 height stone wall on my base

eat

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Should've loaded for bear, might've taken 200 damage if I'd gone over a 6 height wall

Edit: I'm afraid to get my jump skill much higher, maybe I'll die every time I leap off a slight slope

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

litany of gulps posted:

Should've loaded for bear, might've taken 200 damage if I'd gone over a 6 height wall

Edit: I'm afraid to get my jump skill much higher, maybe I'll die every time I leap off a slight slope

Fall damage is capped to 100, but since you posted this

litany of gulps posted:

I got fed up with the skill loss and modded it out last night. High run and jump skill is a major quality of life improvement, and losing days worth of gains for random stuff happening is just obnoxious.

it shouldn't matter too much as long as your spawn is nearby, right?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ambaire posted:

Fall damage is capped to 100, but since you posted this

it shouldn't matter too much as long as your spawn is nearby, right?

So you fall 8 feet and it does 25% of the damage that you'd take from falling 500 feet or a million feet? Whether it matters much or not to my modded game, its still stupid. I jumped over a random short wall in my meadows base and fell over dead.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ok?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sorry, guy who spends his time making troll stick figure sex dolls, for pointing out that an aspect of gameplay (falling eight feet being fatal) is silly. Don't want to waste your time, buddy

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

litany of gulps posted:

I jumped over a random short wall in my meadows base and fell over dead.

gently caress that's funny as hell

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Uranium Phoenix posted:

gently caress that's funny as hell

The best part was the contrast between the raw Viking athleticism in the parkour double jump, where I leapt at an L shaped wall, hit one facing of it, then leaped again and flew over the wall in the other direction. Then the wet fart splat of getting one shotted by landing

Woden
May 6, 2006
Fall damage is whack though and it really should scale better with a higher jump skill. If I can jump 3m up, a fall from 3.2m shouldn't break my legs.

Not sure how exactly it works but it feels something like it's jump height + x where x is static. So as your jump grows and you jump higher and further, that small buffer gets easier to hit until you can no longer jump downhill anymore and double jump always = pain.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Ambaire posted:

It'd still be playable, but a different mental paradigm would be required. Instead of one main base and some outposts, you'd need a whole bunch of smaller bases scattered around. None of this 'carry portal mats and just hop home at nightfall to sleep'; instead, exploring a biome would require building an outpost in that biome and allocating time to travel back for night.

It's why I love this permanent night/storm challenge mode; since it's always cold and wet, traveling home for night isn't a thing. Instead, I just need to worry about keeping rest bonus up, and haven't even been bothering with it half the time. Just a very cold and wet Viking slowly exploring the world.

I think it’s a cool idea for a solo challenge run. If you’re only worried about focusing on gear for 1 person and not a whole big rear end group, you could realistically complete this in 2-3 base hops. With a larger group the amount of spread required to keep everyone geared up and fed is pretty wild, and not having portals would make this so incredibly tedious.

I think the game could totally get to a spot where it doesn’t need portals, but that currently would require that they fill in a lot of gaps to make the overall world more desirable.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Sorry, guy who spends his time making troll stick figure sex dolls,

I don't do this. Your ability to read is as bad as your ability not to die in a stupid way and then bitch about it.

Also, even if I did do it, what does that have to do with anything?

The game has fall damage. You chose not to eat. I don't know what point you think you're making.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 29, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

litany of gulps posted:

an aspect of gameplay (falling eight feet being fatal) is silly.

Jokes and whatnot aside, is that death repeatable? Specifically, the 'double' jump then fall? Generally, falling that distance is not fatal, so it seems you encountered a bug; one which I'm sure the devs would be interested in fixing if it was reported.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
so I've been loving around with knives since the beginning, and I was going to give up on them because this bronze sword is just so much better. but then I realized there's a secondary attack. then I backstabbed a troll for like 450 damage and killed him in a couple more hits. pretty good weapon imo

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
By 4 height stone wall do you mean four walls high? That's a pretty big wall.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

By 4 height stone wall do you mean four walls high? That's a pretty big wall.

Nah, two of the 2x4 stone wall pieces.

Ambaire posted:

Jokes and whatnot aside, is that death repeatable? Specifically, the 'double' jump then fall? Generally, falling that distance is not fatal, so it seems you encountered a bug; one which I'm sure the devs would be interested in fixing if it was reported.

I don't think it is a bug. If you google Valheim falling damage (I did to see if there was some formula or guidelines or something), there's a bunch of Reddit threads of people falling from the same height (off of houses two 2x2 tiles high) and dying. If you just slide off a 4 height wall, you'll probably take 10-15 damage or so. I jumped it, so I cleared it by probably another unit of height, which I guess bumped the damage to the next level.

I've got 65 jump skill and take 10-15 fall damage every time I jump off a small rock or land on a slight decline. Sprinting through the black forest is just constant fall damage spam. As the guy above noted, if you can jump 3 meters, landing from 3.2 meters shouldn't break your legs. But it does.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 29, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Have you tried eating in this game? It raises your max HP quite a lot.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they should tone down the fall damage a little bit tbh, and probably the skills loss on death as well.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
After a frightening early-game boat drive-by of some draugr a few weeks ago, I was anticipating last nights first intentional foray into the swamp to be far more stressful.

Before my friend logged on, I cleared out a draugr village in a patch of meadow separated by a river from the swamp, set up a cozy little outpost, and built a portal back to home base after dropping a shuttle raft in the river. The draugr village and my earlier farming and gathering efforts had us loaded with sausages, carrot soup, flinthead arrows, and some upgraded troll armor.

Really the biggest danger was those goddamn dropbear rear end wraiths and the loving LEECHES. The draugr and blobs were far easier to deal with than we'd feared, and after building a little treehouse and a portal closer to the swamp center, we cleared out two crypts that yielded almost 70 iron, enough to quickly make us question our motivation to ever mine copper again. Knocked together a karve, shipped the bounty back home, and smelted it all while making dock plans fit for our intended long ship. I'm sure our first attempt at bonemass will sour us on the place, but other than being sad and wet all the time, the swamp is rad as hell, A++ biome.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

they should tone down the fall damage a little bit tbh, and probably the skills loss on death as well.
counterpoint: they should tone down nothing and should in fact make it even more brutal. mods exist for those who live in fear.

tbh i don't notice my skill levels at all and have zero cares when they go down.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same, i have no idea how big a deal skill is for e.g. damage, mining, chopping

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

When I die my second thought is usually "oh no my skill loss!" but I can never tell that anything was lost at all so :shrug:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cams posted:

counterpoint: they should tone down nothing and should in fact make it even more brutal. mods exist for those who live in fear.

tbh i don't notice my skill levels at all and have zero cares when they go down.

Making the jump skill reduce your fall damage by a bit does make a ton of sense though.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

scopes posted:

After a frightening early-game boat drive-by of some draugr a few weeks ago, I was anticipating last nights first intentional foray into the swamp to be far more stressful.

Before my friend logged on, I cleared out a draugr village in a patch of meadow separated by a river from the swamp, set up a cozy little outpost, and built a portal back to home base after dropping a shuttle raft in the river. The draugr village and my earlier farming and gathering efforts had us loaded with sausages, carrot soup, flinthead arrows, and some upgraded troll armor.

Really the biggest danger was those goddamn dropbear rear end wraiths and the loving LEECHES. The draugr and blobs were far easier to deal with than we'd feared, and after building a little treehouse and a portal closer to the swamp center, we cleared out two crypts that yielded almost 70 iron, enough to quickly make us question our motivation to ever mine copper again. Knocked together a karve, shipped the bounty back home, and smelted it all while making dock plans fit for our intended long ship. I'm sure our first attempt at bonemass will sour us on the place, but other than being sad and wet all the time, the swamp is rad as hell, A++ biome.
Do the draugrs respawn after a set time? I came across my first village, and I'd love to have a non-swamp area to farm sausages.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

When I die my second thought is usually "oh no my skill loss!" but I can never tell that anything was lost at all so :shrug:

Because it's a 5% reduction and if your skill is in the 30's that's 1-2 points which is pretty much unnoticeable. But for people that grind to something close to 100 that's about 5 points so they're gonna feel the drop.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Do the draugrs respawn after a set time? I came across my first village, and I'd love to have a non-swamp area to farm sausages.

No more spawned after 6 hours of so after clearing it, but one of the buildings did have a body pile. If I come across another village like that I'd like to leave the pile in place for just that reason.

e: it's remarkable how much eating almost anything better than regular meat, raspberries, and shrooms changes survivability

scopes fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 29, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The villages with body piles will 100% keep spawning draugrs, I spent 30 minutes farming them a ways back just because it was fun.

The elites and archers like to get stuck in the houses though. Which is fine just be careful to not run in and damage the body pile.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I run a server with 4-5 friends. We've mostly spread out over the world, as everyone wants their own continent for their megabases, but one of our guys has gotten the sailing-itch and has been uncovering the map north south east and west.

I was talking to him about how I wasn't happy with my current Plains base (currently built on top of a spire) due to farming - my fields were tiny, not very protected, and had constant patrols of Fulings at all hours of the days. He said "I may have found you a perfect location" and dropped a portal...

This formerly tiny island is situated in the Plains, and is far enough away from the main continent that absolutely nothing will spawn anywhere close. I've had multiple events just straight up end early because there is no pathing. The only event that has lasted the full 5 minutes was a Skeleton Surprise, because it took them 5 minutes of walking on the bottom of the ocean to make it to my base - they turned around seconds after coming within visual range.

If you can find it, I highly recommend a farming island. I am so flush with Flax and Barley now, and have my own little docks I can fish off to make those tasty Fish Wraps.

You can see the main continent in the background. Love this location.

------

Also:

Cute mini-tweak patch :slight_smile:

* Localization updates
* Added separate walk-sneak snow footstep sfx
* Music update ( fixed some sound glitches )
* Credits updated ( Changed the look of the credits screen & added missing names )
* Hammer,Hoe & Cultivator timing & input tweaks ( Slightly lower use delay & queued button presses for a smoother experience...just for you )

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

scopes posted:

No more spawned after 6 hours of so after clearing it, but one of the buildings did have a body pile. If I come across another village like that I'd like to leave the pile in place for just that reason.

e: it's remarkable how much eating almost anything better than regular meat, raspberries, and shrooms changes survivability
I ran away as soon as an archer started firing at me, so I didn't realize there were body piles.

I managed to find some fish on the ground due to the changing tides. I can't wait until I find the stupid trader man so I can buy my fishing pole.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've been having much more fun with this since I started just console command spawning common building materials so I can focus on making cool bases. I mostly try to get rare metals etc the proper way so theres still an incentive to explore but nothing kills my enthusiasm like having to go pick up rocks or cut down trees every ten minutes

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been having much more fun with this since I started just console command spawning common building materials so I can focus on making cool bases. I mostly try to get rare metals etc the proper way so there's still an incentive to explore but nothing kills my enthusiasm like having to go pick up rocks or cut down trees every ten minutes

On the flip side, my solo survival minecraft world has over 500 hours invested into it and nothing was cheated in. There's a real sense of satisfaction knowing that I collected and crafted every little thing in my world. Having said that, I can appreciate the fact that the developers made it easy for people to play however they want to. I can recall a few Valheim sessions where all I did was collect rocks and chop trees while listening to podcasts. It's oddly relaxing. I made a little tree farm with graduated elevation and a rock wall to collect it all in one place.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

same, i have no idea how big a deal skill is for e.g. damage, mining, chopping

Any single loss from death isn’t going to make a huge dent in your effectiveness, but the death loss is significant enough that it can take days of play time at the higher levels to recover, so your skills end up just kind of stalling out even if you rarely die.

You can see the effect on your damage if you mouse over a weapon - the damage range in parentheses is how much you deal. You’ll see on a low skill weapon that the numbers are way below the base damage, while with higher skill the upper end of your range approaches or meets the base damage. I think you need 70 to deal max damage, then additional points raise the minimum you deal.

Jumping and sprinting skill also have a really noticeable effect. The stamina drain drops way off as they increase, while your jump height and run speed go up. With really low jump skill, you can kind of anemically hop, but higher skill does open up a lot of mobility and allows for jumping that does honestly look like parkour. Shrugging your shoulders and saying who cares about skills is fine if that’s your thing, but ultimately the effect is that your character is going to move like they’re coated in a thick layer of delicious honey compared to other characters. Which they may well be!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Otacon posted:

This formerly tiny island is situated in the Plains, and is far enough away from the main continent that absolutely nothing will spawn anywhere close. I've had multiple events just straight up end early because there is no pathing. The only event that has lasted the full 5 minutes was a Skeleton Surprise, because it took them 5 minutes of walking on the bottom of the ocean to make it to my base - they turned around seconds after coming within visual range.

If you can find it, I highly recommend a farming island. I am so flush with Flax and Barley now, and have my own little docks I can fish off to make those tasty Fish Wraps.

Seconding this, my original plan for my island base was to be a full second hub, but just having a bunch of farmland where I don't get bothered by deathsquitos or fuling gangs at night has been wonderful. I also get a ton of wind out here, not sure if that's just how plains are or if it's because I'm in the middle of the ocean.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been having much more fun with this since I started just console command spawning common building materials so I can focus on making cool bases. I mostly try to get rare metals etc the proper way so theres still an incentive to explore but nothing kills my enthusiasm like having to go pick up rocks or cut down trees every ten minutes

It's crazy how fast you can run through the basic materials. One moment your inventory is literally so stacked with rocks and wood you cant move, you're throwing down log piles or just chucking stuff ahead of you to get it near construction, maybe dragging a cart full of materials behind you too. Then a minute or two into building whatever structure, you're already completely out. Wish I had learned about collapsing massive rocks earlier, so much time burnt just chipping away at the ground in our quarries creating marred patches of land. Makes me wish there were Stone Giants or a Stone God walking around, go cut their head off or whatever and collect bajillions of stone pouring forth.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pissing off club trolls and golems is the best way to gather basic resources. They mine way faster than you can.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hopefully we can eventually tame the crystal golems and then bring them with us on mining trips.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It could happen, one of the rumors is that we'll be able to tame trolls.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I want my pet lox to be able to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Was scouting places to put a few windmills. I think the best place I've found is a mountaintop close enough to the northern edge of the world that the :frogout: wind blows. Is that pretty much the best place I'm going to find?