Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

End the thread, we found the best tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/isaacfeldberg/status/1374209425217568771?s=21

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean yeah it's stupid af but he's not exactly wrong. He built his entire brand on being one of Boston's home-grown sons. He really wouldn't have heard the end of it if he wore a Yankees cap. The sports team worship up there is intense.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Are the Mets a more acceptable middle ground? I know less than nothing about intercity rivalries in American sports culture.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
lol if Fincher doesn't think he comes out looking like the bigger, pettier bitch for halting production for four days because it had to be a yankees cap

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Memento posted:

Are the Mets a more acceptable middle ground? I know less than nothing about intercity rivalries in American sports culture.

Yeah, they're in a different league and suck rear end and have no real hope of being the champions of the one championship game both leagues participate in. Whereas the Red Sox Yankees rivalry is unmatched in American Baseball.

In your hemisphere it might be comparable to a diehard All Blacks fan being told to wear a Springbrook shirt, and compromising on like some lovely Canadian rugby team, if Canada was geographically located in South Africa.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Memento posted:

It's more the teams than the region, I think. The Mets as I understand it are one of those 'just sorta there' teams that people don't really have strong opinions about, while the Red Sox and Yankees are both Big Deal Teams. It had to be a New York team, though, since Affleck's character is a New Yorker moving away from New York to lay low and not be recognized.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

yeah p much

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hobbes posted:

lol if Fincher doesn't think he comes out looking like the bigger, pettier bitch for halting production for four days because it had to be a yankees cap
Fincher has made some movies I really like but the more I hear/read/see about him in interviews and such the more he seems like a douchebag who'd be terrible to work with.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:hmmyes:
:hmmyes:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This just in: angry, small, petty people believe in an angry, small, petty God.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hobbes posted:

I mostly know about this whole thing from SB Nation, a sports news publication, and they actually took Fincher's side because a Yankees hat is exactly right for that character. This scene doesn't depict a heavily-considered disguise, it's just what he has on hand to hide his face (which is why it's not a Red Sox cap, there's no reason this character would have one); it makes sense this well-off white guy from New York would either be a legitimate Yankees fan, or at least picked up some merch from being around fans of the local big-deal sports team.

To people who know baseball, there is an entirely different vibe to someone who just has a Mets hat on hand. The Mets are neither successful nor popular, so you get a fundamentally sadder image of the life of a man whose hat of choice is for the Mets.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Re: HellShoes, I think Jesus mentions hell twice in the gospels; the people there are a) the rich and b) those who refuse to feed and clothe the poor and welcome the homeless.
Like, the American right's policies are literal blasphemy at this point, lol

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Mar 29, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jesus: Me and Dad (God) love EVERBODY! Legit doesn't matter what you do, kill me, nail me up, stab me in the side, the love train never stops rolling!

Jesus: Except rich people, I want to be really, really clear in stating that I loving hate rich people, and only rich people, everyone else is cool, even if they're hookers or poor as poo poo or whatever, love 'em, but rich people, I can't loving stand and are going straight to hell.

American Christians: Jesus wants us to be rich! And he hates gays, more than literally anything! Except abortions!

Jesus: No, what?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hobbes posted:

yeah surely the play would have been "well poo poo someone get a quick unpick from costume and he can wear a [nothing] hat"

If the Avengers movies have taught me anything it's that a plain black cap and a pair of aviator sunglasses will mean that you could be an internationally recognised celebrity and people won't recognise you.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hobbes posted:

Strong disagree. Actors don't get input on wardrobe, full stop. You didn't wear the loving hat, your character did, it's called acting. This is an actor throwing a tantrum and stopping production, he should have just been fired.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it's like refusing to wear safety gear in factory or something. It doesn't matter how you feel about it, doing it is part of the job.

On the other hand, Affleck isn't wrong - he really would never have heard the end of it. That's what happens when you build your brand on partisanism and being associated with a certain place and "hometown pride" and garbage like that.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

greazeball posted:

Strong disagree. Actors don't get input on wardrobe, full stop. You didn't wear the loving hat, your character did, it's called acting. This is an actor throwing a tantrum and stopping production, he should have just been fired.

You would be absolutely correct here if the internet, and by extension - personal branding - didn't exist. But both of those things DO exist, and I don't think Affleck is wrong here about how that might affect his career.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1376285448767692802

https://twitter.com/yassir_lester/status/1376350460152451072

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Gone Girl explictly takes place in Missouri, how hard would it have been for him to get a Cardinals hat?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/D00MBUNNIE/status/1376300572631048194

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Gone Girl explictly takes place in Missouri, how hard would it have been for him to get a Cardinals hat?

That scene in the airport is when he's going to Missouri, right? Logically speaking he couldn't have had the chance to get a Cardinals hat yet.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

That scene in the airport is when he's going to Missouri, right? Logically speaking he couldn't have had the chance to get a Cardinals hat yet.

smdh at an airport without a Lidz kiosk or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You don't want to play around with stuff like that, people get the wrong idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPjRk4NJCiw

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

greazeball posted:

I mean, not really. Actors shouldn't get to veto things, but designers and directors absolutely should check in with actors and discuss if costumes feel right physically and for how the performer is imagining their character. Film, like other performance art, is inherently collaborative. We've just created this weird idea of auteur directors controlling absolutely every aspect of creation and no one else having input.

That said, Affleck's reasons were dumb and personal, but Fincher turned it into a contest of who could throw the bigger tantrum and cost production the most money instead of going and grabbing a blank hat from wardrobe as someone said. With the money wasted halting for four days, he could have had a Yankees logo CGIed on in post.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Actors aren't usually hired for movies because they can nail the character, it's the film studio buying access to the established fanbase through the draw power of their name. If Ben Affleck's draw stems from some regional and sports-affiliated identity then, as stupid as it is, pissing all over that identity seems like it would degrade his commercial worth as an actor - which is a big part of why he got the role in the first place, rather than just someone who acts good

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Important new discovery:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's kind of crazy that a single cargo container can carry the weight of nine more fully loaded cargo containers without getting squished.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkh9IKZ59xo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

frankenfreak posted:

Important new discovery:

Can somebody please explain what that means. It's the same thing as was in that satellite tweet a page or two ago and I still don't get it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

D-Pad posted:

Can somebody please explain what that means. It's the same thing as was in that satellite tweet a page or two ago and I still don't get it.

Are you at a loss?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edit: nevermind, misremembered that the bulk of the video isn't actually about Loss

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

D-Pad posted:

Loss

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cardiovorax posted:

It's kind of crazy that a single cargo container can carry the weight of nine more fully loaded cargo containers without getting squished.
Indeed but the intermediate cans also see a lot of dynamic loading from periodic movement and wind. Thus the old saying abutment is often harder on the middle than the bottom.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Whoops, I saw PYF at the start of the thread title in my bookmarks and chose the wrong one. Was supposed to go into PYF Mmrnmhrm, obviously.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Loss is like the one meme I just don't get why it's such a big deal. I guess because I just wasn't ever into the webcomic so didn't really get the big deal at the time.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1376574868448247810

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

D-Pad posted:

Loss is like the one meme I just don't get why it's such a big deal. I guess because I just wasn't ever into the webcomic so didn't really get the big deal at the time.

Even without reading that comic regularly, Loss is such a hilariously tone deaf and misplaced comic that it feels like it must be parody and not real.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

D-Pad posted:

It was like the most tone-deaf way of dealing with the topic of miscarriage, bordering on victim-blaming with that "often harder on the man" business. Mocking that viewpoint transformed into mocking the specific comic as a shorthand for the viewpoint, and thus emerges a meme from the primordial slime of collective unconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just post it because Tim Buckley doesn't want me to