Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Less Fat Luke posted:

I believe AMD said the first AGESA addressing the USB and PCIe problems would be 1.2.0.2.

Edit: Yeah https://www.anandtech.com/show/16554/amd-set-to-roll-out-agesa-firmware-usb-fix-for-ryzen-coming-april

Well poo poo, this just maybe explained a problem I've been having for a while that I just assumed was my poo poo luck....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

priznat posted:

So far Alyx is the worst for me whacking the ceiling of my VR basement (low) room, usually when chucking nades.. It's hella immersive, I was in a shootout with combine croched behind bags of cement and after finishing them off I tried to push myself up on the cement bags and almost just faceplanted, lol.

I found not letting the game select graphics settings is key, the nvidia geforce app selects the settings perfectly and the textures always look great instead of being really low rez going by the game. No loss in noticeable performance either!

That one puzzle with the open vent you have to toss a nade through took forever because of that. I had to either awkwardly try to underhand it, or crouch for an overhand throw.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BisbyWorl posted:

That one puzzle with the open vent you have to toss a nade through took forever because of that. I had to either awkwardly try to underhand it, or crouch for an overhand throw.

Yup that was the first time I banged the ceiling, but the one tonight was much harder and popped the battery cover off and it disconnected, lol. Seems alright thankfully!

Needs a height fence as well as the area on in the vr!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never got the hang of nade throwing in Alyx. I found it super awkward. I got stuck on that vent part for like 20 minutes even without a low ceiling to bang.

There's a part later in the game with a similar throwing mechanic which I wont spoil because its super cool but I still had the same problem with that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

There's a part later in the game with a similar throwing mechanic which I wont spoil because its super cool but I still had the same problem with that.

Based on my experiences throwing in Alyx works great with a Lighthouse setup, a bit awkward with Oculus Insight (RiftS/Quest) and broken as gently caress with a WMR headset.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Based on my experiences throwing in Alyx works great with a Lighthouse setup, a bit awkward with Oculus Insight (RiftS/Quest) and broken as gently caress with a WMR headset.

Not surprising, I have a wmr g2 and I can’t ever throw for poo poo, in any game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've always found throwing things in VR to be insanely hit or miss. Either I feel like poo poo is sticking to my hand, dropping at my feet or flying in the wrong direction...but then some games just nail it. Sparc, the sci fi handball game from the EVE devs had such fantastic throwing. It's a shame it didn't catch on more.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Until You Fall is a solid, fairly simple roguelite. Worth a shot if you like games that rely on you as a player getting better at doing stuff (..and progressing with regards to items, of course).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say until you fall is a great VR combat game and a terrible roguelite, personally. Luckily the combat is fun enough that I'd still say it's it's still very good overall, but I'd like to see a lot more game in there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I played some games yesterday

Yupitergrad is fun at first, but as it happen in most platform games, 2d or vr, eventually it gets hard and I have to repeat the tricky parts a dozen times and it gets old. And unlike other types of genres, there is no difficulty options usually in platform games.

I tried again Vox Machinae, I think the last time was when I was on the Quest 1, and it looks really nice on the Quest 2 screen. Graphics are very good, and the immersion is great, I love how you can physically move the radar screen, how you turn the key to cool down the mech, how tactile is everything. It's really a pity the playerbase is so small. They should try to redirect their efforts in doing some kind of single player small campaign, a series of skirmishes where you gain credits in between to spend on new equipment, or something like that. Although the gameplay is maybe too slow, they are mechs, but drat they all feel a notch slower than the mechs from Battletech/Mechwarrior.

Cosmodread is very immersive. Very good scary atmosphere, good UI (integrated into the arm wrist), controls and VR interactions (except doors, I dislike you can't open/close them bit a bit). Environmental sounds are very good, but strangely some weapon sounds are poor. The weak point are the graphics, the PC version textures looks like I would expect the Quest 2, and I guess they look like poo poo in the actual Quest version. Oh, one of the main enemies is ripped off from Dead Space, lol.
I still have to see how deep is the gameplay. At first glance, it doesn't seem very deep. In a way it reminded me on Walking Dead, very based on scavenging materials and doing scavenger hunts to complete goals. You are constantly rummaging through items in tables and opening lockers, taking items to decompile and fabricate other items, and using oxygen bottles to recover O2. And as I say the goals are also things like 'find 4 fuel cans for the reactor'.
The combat is sparse, and it's more about deciding if to run away or spend ammo on an enemy. There is no stamina or sprint button. I wish there was a bit more of variety in things like maybe areas where you have to avoid radiation, and rooms where the gravity is turned off, weld some doors so enemies won't pass, things like that. The game as it is gets repetitive. There are power nodes you can take and use to turn on the lights on other rooms, but for now I found few moments where it's really needed. Maybe it will be different later. edit: enemies will resuscitate if they are in the dark, while turning the lights on will disintegrate the corpse, so it's a core mechanic!
There is a bit of roguelike in here, not only in the random maps, but in the metaprogression: you find blueprints for new objects, which once opened in a computer, you unlock them for all runs. That also means the first runs will be too hard, you are supposed to fail, and succeed once you have a more readily available arsenal.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 29, 2021

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

veni veni veni posted:

I'd say until you fall is a great VR combat game and a terrible roguelite, personally. Luckily the combat is fun enough that I'd still say it's it's still very good overall, but I'd like to see a lot more game in there.

Yeah, I agree. I wish there was more variance in upgrades, enemies and levels. It's more of an old school unsavable arcade game in that respect.
Maybe some sort of ability slot? Classes? Unlockable bonuses you can pick from. Something tells me they considered it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Until You Fall got the best vr melee combat gameplay.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That sharpening filter seems like it works everywhere?

quote:

CAS is two things. It's an optional upscaler (that part is not implemented in the Reshade port because of technical limitations) and a sharpen filter.
The sharpen filter is ported to Reshade. I maintain it in the SweetFX suite.
The sharpen filter will work with anything - all sharpening filters will. Nothing special there.
It's not magic, just a good sharpen filter.
It's my personal second favorite sharpen after LumaSharpen.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
I copied the bin folder from the reshader prog on github into my bigscreen directory but I'm not noticing a difference. Is it just me or is there an install I've missed? Reddit didn't seem to mention one.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Well, finally had an index controller die on me. I couldn't grip anything in my left hand anymore. Lucky for me the timing was right before I started working 7 days in a row and then got a covid vaccine that put my rear end in the dirt. Now to wait out the next 1-6 weeks!

(they're replacing it very slightly out of warranty so I can't bitch about RMA times too much)

Less Fat Luke posted:

I believe AMD said the first AGESA addressing the USB and PCIe problems would be 1.2.0.2.

Edit: Yeah https://www.anandtech.com/show/16554/amd-set-to-roll-out-agesa-firmware-usb-fix-for-ryzen-coming-april

I installed the latest bios* a couple days ago and it seems that my particular index' apparent usb connectivity issues (grey screen, no tracking, discord freaking out about new input devices being detected) that happen whenever my CPU is stressed have been eliminated. Extreme amounts of YMMV wrt a bios update unfucking people's rigs obviously. Also with a broken controller I haven't been on enough to really test other than one night of basically imitating a vrchat desktop user, but it used to be really obnoxious/nausea inducing before I threw down that update.

code:
TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) BIOS 3603 (2021/03/22 )
"- Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A
- Fix USB connectivity issue

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 29, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't disagree with this, though the different unlockable weapons can change your gameplay quite a bit. It's also one of the more active VR games if someone is looking for exercise. When the knife throwers show up you're usually pretty active twisting around

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

veni veni veni posted:

I've always found throwing things in VR to be insanely hit or miss. Either I feel like poo poo is sticking to my hand, dropping at my feet or flying in the wrong direction...but then some games just nail it. Sparc, the sci fi handball game from the EVE devs had such fantastic throwing. It's a shame it didn't catch on more.
Yup. More examples, Superhot has poo poo throwing, whereas the throwing in In Death and Ancient Dungeon is fantastic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cicero posted:

Yup. More examples, Superhot has poo poo throwing, whereas the throwing in In Death and Ancient Dungeon is fantastic.

It feels good in Job/Vacation Simulator, too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I am wondering if the 1.2.0.2 patch will solve my issues, I was looking yesterday and I saw the bios you mentioned but I don't think it contains the usb fixes from amd. Using the link with my msi motherboard is a really uneven experience. Sometimes it's ok, but sometimes its crazy choppy. My cable is supposed to be USB 3.2 but I am only getting 1.2Gbps in the test. What should it be?

the link someone replied to me with firmly indicates 1.2.0.2 will be the droids we're looking for but I will believe it when I see it :allears:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Pokerstars somehow nailed throwing and object interaction better than anyone

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I played Among Us with a couple buddies and a roomful of randos last night, and we had an absolute blast! They really nailed the port, it feels perfect.

The highlight for me was wandering around, doing tasks while muttering "kill, kill, kill....." just loud enough for people to hear me. It creeped so many people out :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nocheez posted:

I played Among Us with a couple buddies and a roomful of randos last night, and we had an absolute blast! They really nailed the port, it feels perfect.

The highlight for me was wandering around, doing tasks while muttering "kill, kill, kill....." just loud enough for people to hear me. It creeped so many people out :v:

If you mean the VRChat version, it really is a lot of fun :allears:.

Just a suggestion as well: Make sure to turn off Visual Tasks. Unlike the original game the tasks are entirely randomized per-player, so you can wind up hosed as an Imposter from the get-go simply because literally everyone else drew a visual task.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Nocheez posted:

Yeah the bootleg vrchat port is surprisingly fun/notbootleg

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Yes, the VRChat version. The imposters had it really hard, but that's OK because that means 2 people had a little fun and 8 people had a lot more fun.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The throwing in Echo VR is pretty good, which is important because it's kind of the entire game. I understand why Pop:One doesn't have throwing mechanics for grenades though, it'd be so hard to be consistent in what is otherwise a pretty fast paced game, i'd imagine you'd kill yourself more often than not.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Robo Recall had amazing throwing because it would subtly guide things to what you were were (probably) aiming at. You could stand there and drain buckets at the court like it was Pleasantville.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lockback posted:

When the Quest2 is hooked up via link it's literally fooling your computer to think it's a Rift S with slightly different configurations. It's all still your GPU doing the work.

Oh, really? I thought it would treat the Quest 2 as a graphics card. It's stuffing all those frames down a single USB cable? How well does that work compared to the Rift S?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Oh, really? I thought it would treat the Quest 2 as a graphics card. It's stuffing all those frames down a single USB cable? How well does that work compared to the Rift S?

Heh heh. It's doing the simple thing, treating the device as a display with movement sensors. As you say, stuffing all those frames down the usb cable.

What you suggest would be a magnitude more complex, or more like impossible. The Quest 2 is and Android device with Android style chip, a Qualcomm like possibly you have on your pocket, it cannot run Windows games done with Direct 3d.

About how well it works, pretty well, but not 100% equal to the Rift S, the process of compressing the video and decompress it means a very slight penalty on image quality and latency.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cicero posted:

Superhot has poo poo throwing

It does, but it's satisfying once you adjust to it. You can't throw like you do IRL, you have to basically treat it like you're hurling a fireball or something out of your palm. It's all about heaving, and the objects have no weight.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I'd like to ask for a game recommendation.

Long story short, I tried RedOut and wasn't super impressed, but now I want something with a lot of speed and nice things to look at. I do not have a wheel or throttle set up and I don't think I'm going to get one any time soon, so preferably something that can be controlled with the Index controllers with minimal frustration. Flight would be cool too, and free-roaming is a plus. I don't care if I'm in a car, a plane, or move by magical propulsion, so long as it's fast and pretty.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HoboTech posted:

Long story short, I tried RedOut and wasn't super impressed, but now I want something with a lot of speed and nice things to look at. I do not have a wheel or throttle set up and I don't think I'm going to get one any time soon, so preferably something that can be controlled with the Index controllers with minimal frustration. Flight would be cool too, and free-roaming is a plus. I don't care if I'm in a car, a plane, or move by magical propulsion, so long as it's fast and pretty.

Distance?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233610/Distance/

If you have an iron stomach, its fun, and pretty as poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HoboTech posted:

How about a car that is also a plane?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

Turin Turambar posted:

Heh heh. It's doing the simple thing, treating the device as a display with movement sensors. As you say, stuffing all those frames down the usb cable.

What you suggest would be a magnitude more complex, or more like impossible. The Quest 2 is and Android device with Android style chip, a Qualcomm like possibly you have on your pocket, it cannot run Windows games done with Direct 3d.

About how well it works, pretty well, but not 100% equal to the Rift S, the process of compressing the video and decompress it means a very slight penalty on image quality and latency.

Yeah, it encodes the frames and the built in decoder on the Quest unpacks them. There is a small penalty but the vast majority of the time its not really noticeable. The bigger "hackyness" usually comes into play with things like pass-through audio sometimes having issues or the PC spazzing out trying to get to show the guardian or tracking, but the vast majority of the time the USB connection works pretty flawlessly.

It wasn't so great at first (mostly while in "beta") but its made some big strides and now works pretty well even if you are limited to USB 2.0 bandwidth. I'd still suggest a 3.0 connection if you are buying cables anyway to ensure your saturating the encoder.

Virtual Desktop is the same idea, except now it's pumping the encoded frames over wifi. A bit higher latency penalty, but not bad, and VD actually has some tricks up its sleeve to potentially improve the image over the Rift S/Link as it can use some different options along the pipeline. Here you're impacted by network factors that are beyond VD/Oculus control so the experience may be better or worse depending on those external factors. Again, the frames are generated by your GPU so that is usually your controlling factor. This is (I think) the most compelling use case of the Q2, wireless PCVR. I have friends who only own steam games they play wirelessly, and the Q2 is probably still the "best" headset for that use case. At least by value, anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicero posted:

Superhot is especially wonky because of the whole "time moves when you do" gimmick screwing with the physics of it. There's a way to sorta make it work but it never feels great, and they could have handled it better for sure.

Throwing is definitely funny in VR but so are most VR interactions, just takes some serious playtesting and tweaking. There's already some "best practices" out there for how to generally handle it though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Superhot is the one game where I definitely haven't had any issues throwing stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Superhot is weird for me, sometimes I can throw and other times I whiff it hard, with not much rhyme or reason. I hit a brick wall with one sequence that I can’t seem to get past and it doesn’t even involve throwing! (In the belly of the plane, fucker always shoots me when the landing gear comes down, I am a dummy for never seeming to be able to dodge or deflect the bullet!)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

HoboTech posted:

It's very content-light, but if you want to fly freely around a quite pretty environment at speed then Eagle Flight is exactly that. I'd struggle somewhat to recommend it at full price but it's on sale or in bundles pretty often.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

EbolaIvory posted:

Distance?

If you have an iron stomach, its fun, and pretty as poo poo.

At work so I can't check it yet but two recommendations at once and, yeah, I'll check this out when I get home. Also my stomach was forged by Boneworks and hardened by the poorly optimized worlds of VRChat,. I am unafraid.

NRVNQSR posted:

It's very content-light, but if you want to fly freely around a quite pretty environment at speed then Eagle Flight is exactly that. I'd struggle somewhat to recommend it at full price but it's on sale or in bundles pretty often.

I think I've heard of this before. I'll look it up and add it to the wishlist.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

It wasn't so great at first (mostly while in "beta") but its made some big strides and now works pretty well even if you are limited to USB 2.0 bandwidth. I'd still suggest a 3.0 connection if you are buying cables anyway to ensure your saturating the encoder.

Also, one thing to consider is that USB 2.0 is probably going to give you half the power that a USB 3.0 port will give you, which means your headset's battery will drain faster. I'm not really sure how many computer USB 2.0 ports support the battery charging standard, so you may only be getting 2.5 watts out of it.

And using an actual USB-C port will give you at LEAST 7.5 watts of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

NRVNQSR posted:

Is there a way to unlock everything? I don't want to do a bunch of loving fetch quests, I want to fly around in pretty environments.