Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

I just miss Deviljho and want him back.

Is he not an invader? I saw a tutorial thing mentioning a feature that sounded like invading monsters, and saw a weapon that looked like it'd eventually craft into a deviljho thing.

Ciaphas posted:

I thought you could only ride monsters a short distance from where you mounted them - at least in my case the dumb bastard always trips within seconds. People are running them across the map? :stare:
I think once you ram one into a wall once, you can only go so far, so if you want to get a whole bunch of wall slams you want to bring them to a good spot first? But I don't know if thats what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I thought you could only ride monsters a short distance from where you mounted them - at least in my case the dumb bastard always trips within seconds. People are running them across the map? :stare:

If you don’t slam them against a wall or get hit by another monster you can freely ride them for a long rear end time and there’s skills that extend this even more.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Sounds like the next time i get a puppet spider, i should do that because that sounds really fun, a important thing to remember is the timer depletes a lot when you get hit, so running them that far is pretty reasonable.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

I think it's important to note that the last few "from-scratch" monster hunters, including world, had their Complete versions ship a few more months or a year after the base game. In Monster Hunter 4, the base game didn't even ship outside of Japan, what we got was the final release.

I would suspect/hope that Rise's final edition is DLC like Iceborne, rather than a whole second release.

I don't think you need to worry about that, if Pokemon had it's final edition as DLC then I don't think anyone is ever going back to that model.

The biggest concern is how they implement it, such as if they're just gonna add weapons that are far better than anything in the base game cause they want to rush people to the newer content.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the topic of endgame, from what I understand, Rise did release a little less complete than World, though it'll be getting some substantial free updates. The comparison I read is that it's like if World had released with Nergigante as the final boss and everything after that (the elder dragons, Xeno'jiiva, tempered monsters, etc.) came as an update a month or so later.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oh so that's what happens if you use a large barrel bomb in midair :neckbeard:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Between "Kamura V" "Colossal Axeblade" and "Sinister Blade I" what would probably be the best GS to go for? (Or really, whats the best GS I can make at the start of HR?) - the first two have higher damage, with Kamura having a tiny bit of Blue Sharpness, small green, and Colossal having the highest damage, small green, and Sinister having a good chunk of green.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Judge Tesla posted:

I just miss Deviljho and want him back.

I'm so glad that my friend the mudfish made it in though. Everyone's favorite monster is back you guys! Definitely better than Deviljho.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

almudron is genuinely one of the coolest loving designs they've done in the past few games

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What I want to know is which group of perverts has got such good kompromat on Capcom that we got 2 generations of that lovely Mud Fish?

Especially when Gobul exists.

Ed: Somnacanth is good except for us not having access to anti sleep stuff yet, it’s part otter!

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 29, 2021

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

almudron is genuinely one of the coolest loving designs they've done in the past few games

I fought him once online with GL and it was an obnoxious fight. Figured next time I'd bring a pierce HBG. Anyone else have strats that make him easier to deal with?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Joestar posted:

Haven't gotten to Almudron, but right now Bishanten is the coolest for me, I love how it cover it's face when it slams down a poison gas fruit and I love knocking him down when he's on his tail and stealing all his fruit it's great.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

cool design but I hate the fight. loving mud mons are all bad

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MMF Freeway posted:

cool design but I hate the fight. loving mud mons are all bad

Just let me hit your face you stupid muddy rear end in a top hat :argh:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The monsters in this game are defiantly way more liberal with leaving mud everywhere.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I spent about 30 minutes looking for crystal cores(?) the other night while avoiding Royal Ludroth and the temple in the flooded forest is cool as hell. I can’t wait to have more time to play, even just to explore the environments.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

In World I feel like every single filler quest unlocked something, a canteen ingredient or other village upgrade. That doesn't seem to be the case here although I'm still on 2 stars, does that change? Not a huge deal but I do enjoy the satisfaction of Unlocking.

By HR3 you start getting a lot of villager requests, don't worry. I like that this system is back and that they unlock entirely new weapons, it's such a fun bit of flavor. Game is full of so many fun weapon designs, polar opposite of world's aesthetic

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've been playing basically the entire weekend and I'm not in high rank yet. I feel good about it honestly, I know I could just skip to high rank if I beelined village but I'm having fun progressing both hub and village in tandem depending on if I have friends around or not. Making other weapons to fight with instead of just Lance is helping too. And Magnamalo weapons being Blast is icing, and having the first real sharpness I feel like I've seen. I'm honestly tempted to give Insect Glaive another try with everyone talking about it too, I just figured it wouldn't be viable until high rank.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alxprit posted:

I'm honestly tempted to give Insect Glaive another try with everyone talking about it too, I just figured it wouldn't be viable until high rank.

I found that as soon as I got the kinsects you can buy at 3-star village, insect glaive felt great. The speed-type ones that unlock at that point have just enough speed that they don't feel punishing to use. I'm looking forward to faster ones, but those are where I felt like they had reached "minimum usable speed" for kinsects.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Game is full of so many fun weapon designs, polar opposite of world's aesthetic

This is 100% the thing I missed the most in World and imo already elevates this game above it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Training posted:

By HR3 you start getting a lot of villager requests, don't worry. I like that this system is back and that they unlock entirely new weapons, it's such a fun bit of flavor. Game is full of so many fun weapon designs, polar opposite of world's aesthetic

Oh that's good, ironically those villager requests were what made me put down World and wait for Rise. I loved ticking off the ingredients boxes but wanted to be able to do it portably so I could have something on my TV in the background.

And agreed, even this early on I feel like there are more fun designs than I had after putting 20 hours or so into World.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a charge blade that's just a large Fish

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yooo drill slash for SnS, that's gotta find its way into the new bread and butter combo

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
There is also a LBG that is just a fish.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Wonder if sharq Lance is back.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Maybe they'll go big and finally make that robot fist Gunlance. They made a race of fight dogs (and a Golden Retriever skin).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a move Almudron does where he runs away so I think he’s changing areas and start sharpening then I get hit with a mud wave out of nowhere because he was just making space to start doing mud things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Decorations are craftable this time around, right?

I don't know if anyone's gotten to the point of digging into that, but how much of a grind is it, out of curiosity? I watched a couple of high rank hunt videos and noticed that Attack Boost gems seem to be back, but the idea that I can craft them instead of having to pray for a lucky drop sounds a lot better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

I don't know if anyone's gotten to the point of digging into that, but how much of a grind is it, out of curiosity? I watched a couple of high rank hunt videos and noticed that Attack Boost gems seem to be back, but the idea that I can craft them instead of having to pray for a lucky drop sounds a lot better.

Then answer to this question relies entirely on how much you like/hate Rajang

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
That reminds me - something I’ve not seen in the shop yet: charm/talon. If that’s been baked-in that’s bag space freed up.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Decorations are craftable this time around, right?

You'll need alots of HR mats, but doesn't seem that bad since you'll only need a relatively small amount of decos. Attack and crit eye are level 2 decos now so you won't just be slapping them on everywhere

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kerbtree posted:

That reminds me - something I’ve not seen in the shop yet: charm/talon. If that’s been baked-in that’s bag space freed up.

They’ll show up and yeah you’ll end up with 4 items in your item bag forever

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That doesn't sound so bad, I'm gonna be doing a lot of HR hunts anyway, and "hunt a bunch of specific monsters for the specific required mats" sounds a lot better than "just hope the right gem drops lol it never will"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Nope. Charms are still around, you probably just need to progress more for them to show up in the shop. I assume talons are in too since I see a craft that involves the charms.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i got that hori split pad pro, and how are you supposed to select items with this thing and still be able to move? I can't claw that hard :gonk:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ciaphas posted:

i got that hori split pad pro, and how are you supposed to select items with this thing and still be able to move? I can't claw that hard :gonk:

...Did you rebind stuff to make clawing necessary? The default controls don't require The Claw for anything

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's the downside to the Feral Demon Mode switch skill, the one that makes your Dual Blades dodge deal damage? It can't just be a flat upgrade, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Selecting items with L + A and Y was always really weird to me when I tried earlier Monster Hunter demos. Then when World added the shortcut wheel and the ability to change what's in the item slot with the d-pad I was like "cool, I don't have to get used to the weird controls!"

And then I got used to them anyway and it turns out I prefer using L + A/Y to change items

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Augus posted:

What's the downside to the Feral Demon Mode switch skill, the one that makes your Dual Blades dodge deal damage? It can't just be a flat upgrade, right?

IIRC it doesn't give you the speed boost. I don't know if I imagined it but I felt like the dodge was slower with it turned on too so I switched back.

Harrow posted:

Selecting items with L + A and Y was always really weird to me when I tried earlier Monster Hunter demos. Then when World added the shortcut wheel and the ability to change what's in the item slot with the d-pad I was like "cool, I don't have to get used to the weird controls!"

And then I got used to them anyway and it turns out I prefer using L + A/Y to change items

I really don't give a poo poo about all of the social stuff currently assigned to the d-pad. I'd rather just select items that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Kagrenac posted:

Cats gather and steal a lot of materials over the course of a quest and have lots of useful moves to steal more stuff/heal or buff you/disrupt the monster. The main benefit a dog has other than getting around is letting you safely sharpen while riding it which doesn't apply to gunners.

A cat with the summeown endemic life move basically guarantees you will always have 3 wirebugs without going out of your way to pick them up. That move alone makes them far more useful than dogs imo since having an extra wirebug is the most powerful buff in the game.

What's the name of this cat summon endemic life move? I checked my 10 cats and none have anything like that.
Does it only spawn a specific type of cat?