Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you would like to contend that keir is doing a great job you are welcome to, but it isn't up to everyone else to love him just to make you happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Could he be doing better? Sure.

Is he comparable in any sense to bojo/tories?

Jfc gently caress no the tories are standout terrible

As trin tragula might say "have some sense of proportion"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could try saying what you like about Keith and seeing if any of it holds up to scrutiny? Or if it even holds up to being spoken aloud in the light of day, perhaps?

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
I just heard on the news that the US are threatening to put tariffs on UK-supplied furniture, ceramics and game consoles. Is there a UK-made games console I am unaware of? BBC Link

Or am I misunderstanding something/everything?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
every second post should be praising the tories in order to achieve balance in the run up to the forthcoming local elections

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

frankenbeans posted:

I just heard on the news that the US are threatening to put tariffs on UK-supplied furniture, ceramics and game consoles. Is there a UK-made games console I am unaware of? BBC Link

2021 is the year of the ZX Spectrum.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zero Gravitas posted:

What is he actually offering that is different to the Tories?

At the moment we have to take it entirely on faith the Labour are going to be better than the Tories which is kind of difficult when the leader of the party has reneged on every single one of his promises he originally made

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zero Gravitas posted:

I think the guy who wants it to be legal for the cops to sexually assault people, is engaged in an arms race with the government for how many flags he can stand in front of, and is running to the right of the govenrment on raising corporation tax is pretty tory, but that's just me.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

stev posted:

2021 is the year of the ZX Spectrum.

I can't wait to accidentally knock the Kempston joystick interface out the back and brick the fucker.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Maugrim posted:

I did not know who Nigel Thornberry was and assumed op was trying to evoke a combination of Nigel Farage and Emily Thornberry.

But half the thread has a crush on drunken aunty Em so that doesn't compute either.
The Wild Farages

frankenbeans posted:

Joe is fulfilling his promise to take firm action over any British shenanigans around Ireland by sanctioning the UK for those PS5's currys.co.uk thieved from currys.ie

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zero Gravitas posted:

Is there a non cpgb ukmt on SA?

Asking for a friend, natch

Be the change you want to see in the world? The new thread button is right ----> there

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world? The new thread button is right ----> there

The marketplace of ideas

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Dabir posted:

Never liked the show much but Tim Curry is the highlight of basically anything he's in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-vVOHNZDP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

SPPPAAAACCCEEEEE!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Please, for once, do not make the entire thread about one tedious poster.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Fall in line good little voters he's wearing a red tie what more do you want????

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Zero Gravitas posted:

The marketplace of ideas

I'm surprised to see you saying being anti spycops is ideological puritanism, so I clicked post history and you apparently also thought the Milne document was a smear. Do you still think emily oldknow isn't a racist piece of poo poo now the courts have found the document fairly represented her words and she's been forced to pay the costs for her legal actions against the party?

man that election hosed with some people huh

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Zero Gravitas posted:

He occupies entirely the same neoliberal ideological space as the tories and the fact that he'll look sad while making completely imagined 'hard decisions' and maybe open a couple of sure start centres doesn't change that.

The planet is dying, there's a resurgent fascist movement, wealth disparity is the worst it's been since the loving 1920s, the young have zero to look forward to but precarity while they subsidise the holidays of boomer landlords. We need an opposition that directly addresses these issues and has some actual ideas beyond tepid centrist fence sitting. Even Corbyn, in fairness, didn't really go far enough here, but he at least asked people to consider something better. Liberals like Starmer are going to get us all loving killed.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zero Gravitas posted:

Personally I'm glad to have a pro-Starmer voice in this thread to catch me up on all his achievements since becoming leader and the compelling policies Labour now has to offer. Please go on and outline his best qualities ZG, Starmer gets a bad rap in here and I've no doubt he's an engaging, high impact leader with a lot to offer.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

frankenbeans posted:

Is there a UK-made games console I am unaware of? BBC Link

"BBC Link" sure sounds like a poo poo british-made games console from the 80s

e: goddamit i wasn't even far off

quote:

In the mid-1980s, the BBC was designing the Type 6 Scanner and had chosen the Link 100 and 130 and had several camera channels for testing. Prototypes had been sent to Israel, Sweden and Australia. The BBC Link 130 cameras were initially installed in Elstree Studio A along with some NEC MNC-100 lightweight cameras.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 29, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ro5s posted:

Please, for once, do not make the entire thread about one tedious poster.
Yeah I totally get the urge to dunk on total dipshits & am struggling to resist it myself, but just reflect a moment on what ZG's motivations are here, there is zero point in engaging in good faith

Jakabite posted:

I can already tell you’re going to be one of those tedious thread villains who pops up for about a month then eventually fucks off.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1294885867321004032?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUMdCV-Z7kk

Edit: Oh I see, I have been trolled. Congratulations!

IllusionistTrixie fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 29, 2021

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Um, what is 'cpgb'? I'm lost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Communist party of great britain.

If you haven't heard of them that's because like all UK commie parties it's three blokes in a shed, two of which are cops.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Bloodly posted:

Communist Party of Great Britain

edit: ^^ beaten like a protester

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bloodly posted:

It was a club in New York that shut down over ideological differences and now lives on only in the memory of cranky old men.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bloodly posted:

Communist Party of Great Britain, they were electorally irrelevant tankies.

Also tankies, apparently: What is the point of Keir Starmer? After a year, we still don't know

e: ngl I saw I was beaten before I clicked post, I just wanted to post that graun article, it's loving savage. "Continuity Milibandism", lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zero Gravitas posted:

I'm sorry for holding the Labour Party to a higher standard than "comparable to the Tories", clearly an unfair standard for "20 points ahead" Smithers.

He's singularly unable to oppose Boris on anything of substance. Oh, except the time he demanded the schools to open up and then it quickly became obvious what a loving imbecilic idea that was.

Yes, this thread rode Corbyn lightly, because he represented an alternative vision. What does Keith represent other than the status quo?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I mean is it any wonder when no one stays around when the response to "maybe the guy isnt as terrible as you think" is to call me a troll and dunk all at once?

gently caress, in the same way we all got wrapped up in corbyn being a messianic figure you're all still expecting starmer to be some sort of perfect saint instead of a guy who works with what is practical.

And where "practical" is right now is for sure through the loving looking glass but labour has been a punching bag for a decade and it plainly needs to give some ground to an Overton window shifting further and further away if it is to remain relevant.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Borrovan posted:

Also tankies, apparently: What is the point of Keir Starmer? After a year, we still don't know

e: ngl I saw I was beaten before I clicked post, I just wanted to post that graun article, it's loving savage. "Continuity Milibandism", lol

It’s made all the worst people very angry too

https://twitter.com/mr_considerate/status/1376525607878676482?s=21

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

forkboy84 posted:

What does Keith represent other than the status quo?

Worse than the status quo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If anyone hates money, I'm willing to take one for the team and take it off your hands ;)

lol you made me think of

quote:

David Cameron’s fate is to be caught in the wealth trap
You often hear of people being “trapped in poverty”, but it is also possible to be trapped in wealth. This is David Cameron’s fate.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/10/david-camerons-fate-is-to-be-caught-in-the-wealth-trap/

Poor fellow

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

still waiting to hear what you think is good about Keith

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zero Gravitas posted:

I mean is it any wonder when no one stays around when the response to "maybe the guy isnt as terrible as you think" is to call me a troll and dunk all at once?

gently caress, in the same way we all got wrapped up in corbyn being a messianic figure you're all still expecting starmer to be some sort of perfect saint instead of a guy who works with what is practical.

And where "practical" is right now is for sure through the loving looking glass but labour has been a punching bag for a decade and it plainly needs to give some ground to an Overton window shifting further and further away if it is to remain relevant.

I was asking in good faith for you to give us the reasons you support Starmer and his policies but all I see is complaining about Corbyn. A political party is meant to shape politics: for instance the Tories, UKIP and friends have been working hard to shift the Overton window for many years, with a lot of success. What is all the good stuff Starmer has going for him apart from 1) not being Corbyn and 2) following the Tories to the right?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Corbyn wasn't a messianic figure, the bar is just so low that a mild mannered social democrat who acknowledged a fraction of the issues relevant to young disenfranchised people gave some people a reason to feel enthusiasm for once in their otherwise crushingly alienated lives, and the liberal commentariat had no way of meaningfully understanding that. The 'cult' line is genuinely so completely off the mark it's embarrassing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zero Gravitas posted:

Buddy if you want to argue for starmer the posting window lets you type anything you want but so far you've just ignored any substantive criticism in favour of whining about how people are being mean to him.

Have some courage and argue for things, tell us why supporting the spycops bill is good, tell us why labour should oppose the tory raise to corporation tax. Tell us why these things are good and we should like them rather than all this simpering about "ohh you've got to be practical oh you're just in love with corbyn"

I can tell you why the things corbyn campaigned on were good and still are good, regardless of whether you want to just ignore that and imagine that it is just some irrational love of the man himself, but you have not demonstrated why starmer's policies are good nor have you even tried yet, you're just arguing that he is inherently not a tory and deserves better, which to me seems far more like personal idealiztion than anything I have ever said about corbyn.

Hell, if nothing else tell us how he is being "practical" when he's just getting less and less popular because that does not seem to me to be a very "practical" thing to do either.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 29, 2021

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Zero Gravitas posted:

you're all still expecting starmer to be some sort of perfect saint instead of a guy who works with what is practical

I don't think anyone expected this. We expected someone who would at the very least keep the promises they were elected as leader on. And I'm struggling to see anything he's done since that you could call practical, except with regards to factional struggle from the viewpoint of the right.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

If you have to become the tories to get elected, of what use is getting elected?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I mean we're all wasting a lot of breath here for a guy who is unlikely to still be leader of Labour within a year so

It's possible that his job was always to soften up the party for a successor like Kinnock did for Blair but honestly I think this is really Keith trying his best

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Keiths good actually!

Name one good thing he's done.

I can't believe you're demanding he be a perfect flawless human being he's just being practical because nothing is possible wait come back why won't you vote for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zero Gravitas posted:

What did you expect, everyone to nod and go "gosh, this guy is a sage, I had never had this thought before"?

We've evaluated him based on his actions & decided he's loving poo poo. Not exclusively because he's a neoliberal with a hard on for crushing civil liberties, but also because quite plainly he lied during his leadership election campaign to kid on he was further to the left than he was. Which I thought was pretty transparent but apparently was enough to fool a lot of folk. I don't want a perfect saint. I just don't want someone who seem comfortable with wealth inequality & positively aroused by more protections for the police.

Also only a moron would look at anywhere in the world & conclude that the response to the right getting stronger & stronger is shrug & go "if you can't beat them, join them". Because that's worked real loving well to stop the rise of the fash hasn't it? (No, no it hasn't. Emmanuel Macron attacking the Front National for not being strong enough in their Islamophobia is giving the game away.) The solution to the mythical Overton window shifting further right is making the positive case of why that's bad & working to move it to the left.

Let's be clear: I don't give a poo poo if Labour dies & never have. If Labour is not willing to advance a political agenda even in the same ballpark as mine then gently caress 'em. I know 2015 was a long time ago but the argument for Corbyn wasn't "he's going to win in 2020", it was "we need someone willing to make the positive case for socialism". Which he kind of did at least a bit, so cool, I backed him, despite his flaws. Keith isn't even pretending so why should I? The least worst option has never been acceptable to me. And not because I'm in some privileged position but precisely the opposite, because I'm a fuckup failson with no money, no property, and currently no job. I need a better funded NHS so it can actually hire enough professionals to make getting to see a therapist or other mental health specialists outside of people who talk you through self-guided CBT a realistic possibility. I need a DWP that offers more than the bare minimum to get by on (& that's being charitable here) while demeaning claimants & causing massive stress while expecting a 35 hour week of job seeking somehow. I need a government that will ensure there's enough money in the pot so that one day I might be able to retire if I live until I'm 85.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 29, 2021