Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
See by making the game as bad as humanly possible they have cleverly also eliminated griefing right from the start on account of nobody actually playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I just want to play with the spaceship designer and their janky programming language. I honestly don't care if it's too grindy to spawn them for a real fight. I'm usually garbage at fighting in MMOs anyway.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98JfePN2Mh8

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

This looks about the same. Where's the game part?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The part where "I just want to play" it, that one is already available.

Also the dev seems to be less up his own rear end in a top hat.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 25, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
When will developers learn to never put "Star" in a games title? Cursed.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Another round of what the gently caress are they even doing on their forums:

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/clarification-about-dev-faction-blueprint-sharing-dont-do-it.1614

"We will ban you if you spy on or steal ship blueprints from our two special dev favorite factions."

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
yikes

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

For all the faults Eve Online has with its Devs, they have one fundamentals rule, “You’re there to build the zoo, not BE in the zoo.” If the Starbase devs can’t even follow that one basic rule then there is probably no hope for this game.

You don’t touch the poop water.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sachant posted:

Another round of what the gently caress are they even doing on their forums:

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/clarification-about-dev-faction-blueprint-sharing-dont-do-it.1614

"We will ban you if you spy on or steal ship blueprints from our two special dev favorite factions."

oh I wonder what's going on in this thread :yikes:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Back Hack posted:

if they can't even begin to forsee the most basic horrible repercussions of a change like this then the game is as good as dead. the developers have ZERO idea of what's going on

which sucks because this is a game i was actually interersted in

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Reading further in that thread, they also don't want you using faction's color. Period. :psyduck:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This seems like a very ill-conceived RP thing between the two NPC factions. Hopefully it's just a thing until they develop in-game systems to deal with their vision for special faction ships, and hopefully it won't survive open beta, but saying they'll ban you for stealing blueprints while in closed alpha doesn't give me much confidence in that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Back Hack posted:

For all the faults Eve Online has with its Devs, they have one fundamentals rule, “You’re there to build the zoo, not BE in the zoo.” If the Starbase devs can’t even follow that one basic rule then there is probably no hope for this game.

I could've sworn the war on Band of Brothers was started because the EvE devs were doing just that.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

I could've sworn the war on Band of Brothers was started because the EvE devs were doing just that.

It wasn't a company decision to do so, just a couple of devs deciding to be a colossal assholes in secret, which had big consequence in-game and IRL as a result when they got found out.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

You can professionally translate their game now! For free! https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/guidelines-for-community-translations.1650/#post-13503

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

In another round of "hilarious bullshit I still get DMed about despite having completely given up on this game": https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/gunships.1656/

Rotor-controlled turrets are apparently too much for the game's P2P networking to handle, surprising nobody, and they're being replaced with little manned tripod things you stand at and shoot with. So you can't control multiple turrets at a time anymore with the programming language. Also according to the CEO, these gunships (which nobody uses because they're pointless, and the game barely handles to begin with) are the second smallest class of ship they want to support. Goooood luck.

These same devs are also the ones who love to :smuggo: on Space Engineers because their physics systems are perfect.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I got an invite to the closed alpha of this game today, anyone else get one?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

"game" is a strong word.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

edit: already said

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Despite answering every question on their survey “computer “ they have not given me access nor ended my unjust permanent mute on their discord.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

L'computer

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Update: Q1 2021, their planned EA release date window, ends in two weeks.

Their biggest recent accomplishment is, uh... you can respawn on ships now? Oh, and a machine that makes parts for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mXgK2q4SkE

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Everything is all just so overly complicated. I can imagine it now, spending hours mining and building a ship that gets blown apart in 2 minutes of combat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hey, I added this game to my wishlist ages ago and just remembered it existed, what's the status on... :yikes:

Well, I guess I can take it off the wishlist.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
guild name computer?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/starbase-early-access-release-target-and-new-features-revealed.1842/

quote:

The Early Access release of Starbase is now targeting May 2021, and we plan to announce the exact release date in April! We’ve decided that we need a bit of extra development time to make sure that the game is in line with our vision.
Featuring... atmospheres on the moon and lots of concept art for harvesting gasses?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What am I supposed to do with all this gas I'm harvesting?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Apparently, you turn it into the exact same materials you just get from mining rocks. Isn't that cool?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
love to harvest my own gas through my nose

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

i'm going out on a whim here and gonna say the most fun we will ever have in this game is typing the word 'computer' in the starbase discord and watch people get very upset

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

BurtLington posted:

i'm going out on a whim here and gonna say the most fun we will ever have in this game is typing the word 'computer' in the starbase discord and watch people get very upset
I support this. I got alpha access too and after 0.5 seconds of research decided "no"

computer

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BurtLington posted:

i'm going out on a whim here

Sorry, what?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

30.5 Days posted:

Sorry, what?

Let's not bake fun of him.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Sorry, what?

TIL I've been saying that phrase wrong my entire life.

:negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011
For all intensive purposes you're mostly right anyway.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Look, it's a doggy dog world out there, let the man talk like he wants.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Yeah, sometimes just you gotta make dew with what you've got.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Look, let's just nip it in the butt and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
for real tho anything happening with this game?

Heres uh, some crap I found: https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/starbase-progress-notes-week-13-2021.1862/

quote:

Design

Features
Triangle and Box thruster nozzles now affect thruster's total thrust
Buying blueprint chips with custom blueprints has been tested and improvements were designed
Design for registering spaceships as owned if they have been built outside of Spaceship Designer has been started
Free-form building in moon has been tested and improvements have been designed
Design for solid version of pipes and cables that can transfer resources and data continues
User Interface
Company medal awards and medal creator have been designed
Company ship access control has been designed
Using premade parts for Ship Designer purchases has been implemented

Code

Gameplay
Universal Tool optimizations have been made - Asteroid material queries should not cause FPS deflation
Ship transponders color code have been expanded to stations and lots
Two new ore slots have been added to mining backpack
Tripod functionality has been worked on
The objectives of the Demolition job tutorial have been revamped: All tools spawn right at the beginning and all four ships have separate objectives
Being able to restart the tutorial after completing it without first resetting the progress in the settings have been fixed
Jobs not being in tutorial mode after relogging with the tutorial active have been fixed
The Demolition job tutorial now shows usage hint for the currently active tool
User Interface
Page for editing mission settings have been worked on
Ship Manager's Access page has been worked on

Art

Animations and Emotes
Work on new prone transition animations continues
Stations and Cities
Windowed submodules have been updated in grid slots
Skyscraper Roof module 04 has been finished
Old window assets have been replaced in Skyscraper roof modules
Other
More rocks have been added for Moon Type 4
Rock spawn logic adjustments have been made for Elysium
Salvage collector asset has been created
Inventory icons for station and ship blueprint chips have been created
Auto snap icon for Ship Designer has been created
Relative sizing of all explosive propellant VFX have been updated, visual and optimization updates have also been made
Significant optimization/rework of remote explosive VFX when multiple detonations are combined up close

is it fun yet?