Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

What did you expect, everyone to nod and go "gosh, this guy is a sage, I had never had this thought before"?
He just expected it'd piss people off, imo

e: the pound sterling was introduced in 1158, apparently. Not especially interesting but I was surprised it was that early

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Did ZG not used to be a good poster, iirc?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

Did ZG not used to be a good poster, iirc?

Who gives a poo poo about his previous or current posting, tbh.

When he posts some substantive reasons to like keith "wet eggs" strummer, it'd be worth giving him the time of the day. Coming in here to call everyone a different shade of commie than you like to piss you off is just going in his spank bank. If he had anything decent to contribute to the thread (like why smithers is good) he would have already done so.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Yes guys I'm really sorry I can't answer ten guys dunking on me at once that must mean keirs an irredeemable poo poo heel :rolleyes:

Also that whole "job" thing Im quite keen on since it gives me money to to, you know, put some food in mine and family's mouth so I can't poo poo post all the loving time in detail.

One thing I will at least point to with the corporation tax vote is that keirs absolutely right. The coronavirus financial package has been stonking but the GFC showed pretty hard what happens when you cut out the demand from surplus cash on hand it becomes an incredibly difficult situation to come back from since everyone is sitting on everyone else's hands.

And by numbers that will affect a lot of self employed people who don't need an excuse not to vote Labour as they feel abandoned by them already.

Its not great by any means but it is practical ™

Maybe we could try and look at things like labour got bent over a knee and spanked by the opposition to an 80 seat majority because newsflash that's what happened and the wilderness isn't just calling but sat outside our house in a car.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Boris Johnson calls it "knocking boots"
David Cameron calls it "porking".
Tony Blair calls it "doing the third way" (depending on the hole).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zero Gravitas posted:

I mean is it any wonder when no one stays around when the response to "maybe the guy isnt as terrible as you think" is to call me a troll and dunk all at once?

gently caress, in the same way we all got wrapped up in corbyn being a messianic figure you're all still expecting starmer to be some sort of perfect saint instead of a guy who works with what is practical.

And where "practical" is right now is for sure through the loving looking glass but labour has been a punching bag for a decade and it plainly needs to give some ground to an Overton window shifting further and further away if it is to remain relevant.

ZG, this is a genuine question: do you think that making this your first post in this iteration of the thread:

Zero Gravitas posted:

Is there a non cpgb ukmt on SA?

Asking for a friend, natch

Might have created the impression that you had literally no interest in staying around and were in fact just here to troll? Maybe you didn't intend it as such but I'd take the meaning of that post to be "Hey commies, could you direct me to a thread that doesn't suck?", which I would take both as you trolling and attempting to dunk on the posters here, by implying that the only worth they might have to you is directing you to people you might actually like to have a conversation with. In that context, I really don't feel you have standing to complain if people snipe back.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, the good news is I have no side effects, because they called me a queue jumping oval office and told me to gently caress off and I got to walk of shame out of the centre. Hey you guys sent me the text to book it :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Well, the good news is I have no side effects, because they called me a queue jumping oval office and told me to gently caress off and I got to walk of shame out of the centre. Hey you guys sent me the text to book it :confused:

Did they not ask to see your text??

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I showed them that and they said "oh yeah the NHS sends those out they don't mean anything" lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

publicly owned by bureaucracy clearly I need to go full Spiked Online about this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I showed them that and they said "oh yeah the NHS sends those out they don't mean anything" lol

Eh?? The NHS is running the vaccinations though??

I didn't even get asked for proof, just my booking number, no idea what kind of cowboy vaccination center you went to.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

publicly owned by bureaucracy clearly I need to go full Spiked Online about this

See if the Free Speech Union will help you?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zero Gravitas posted:

One thing I will at least point to with the corporation tax vote is that keirs absolutely right. The coronavirus financial package has been stonking but the GFC showed pretty hard what happens when you cut out the demand from surplus cash on hand it becomes an incredibly difficult situation to come back from since everyone is sitting on everyone else's hands.

And by numbers that will affect a lot of self employed people who don't need an excuse not to vote Labour as they feel abandoned by them already.

Is this the tax change that only taxes company profits of £50,000 or above?

How many self employed people will that impact (you mentioned numbers so let's have a number please)

And of that number, how many were voting Labour anyway lmao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Eh?? The NHS is running the vaccinations though??

I didn't even get asked for proof, just my booking number, no idea what kind of cowboy vaccination center you went to.

Got a feeling it's now they have a supply problem they're suddenly becoming stingy.

Miftan posted:

See if the Free Speech Union will help you?

How can I have free speech if I might breathe in covid particles unmasked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Got a feeling it's now they have a supply problem they're suddenly becoming stingy.

I mean I got mine on friday so that was quick.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is this the tax change that only taxes company profits of £50,000 or above?

How many self employed people will that impact (you mentioned numbers so let's have a number please)

And of that number, how many were voting Labour anyway lmao

What, you seriously can't imagine how many small businesses (and lets not forget small businesses of between 0 and 50 people make up 48% of businesses in the UK per https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06152/SN06152.pdf) make more than 50k a year?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Glad we've made the seamless jump from self employed to "businesses with 0-50 people"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You don't need to respond to each poster individually because everyone is asking the same thing: what compelling, specific qualities and policies is Starmer bringing to Labour?

As far as I can tell from your recent posts you consider his greatest hits to be: not being Corbyn, following the Tories to the right, and opposing raising corporation tax. If that's everything you want from politics I suppose that's up to you, but it's not the kind of thing that is going to make me personally go to the ballot and I don't reckon that "lower taxes for some companies" is quite the battle cry that's going to bring millions to Labour at the next GE. The Tories tend to actually offer things their voters want, even if I think those things are bad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Doesn't a small business have to have exactly 1 person to be counted as self-employed? :confused:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If the corporation tax rise is bad why did Keith say he would do it during his leadership campaign

Even if you take the idea that you don't want to reduce demand by raising taxes during a pandemic you could have made an argument that we didn't want to raise taxes on SMEs but needed but companies to pay their fair share or something. *Anything*.

I've said it before but the lack of imagination in the current Labour party is staggering, just no ideas about how to get out of our situation, just pleading for votes from Nigel in Worthington who thinks David Lammy should show his birth certificate or be stripped as an MP.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zero Gravitas posted:

What, you seriously can't imagine how many small businesses (and lets not forget small businesses of between 0 and 50 people make up 48% of businesses in the UK per https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06152/SN06152.pdf) make more than 50k a year?

Most small businesses barely scrape a profit at all though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
BTW, Camrath, fudge arrived, and one minor complaint - each bag was a single slab rather than individual chunks, making sharing it amongst the family a tad more challenging.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Meanwhile. In an impressive feat of self delusion and cuntery - Piers Morgan manages to get “I’m not racist but” and “mob lynching” into the same sentence

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus, blood streaming down his nose and triumphantly grasping a small piece of confectionery, posted:

BTW, Camrath, fudge arrived, and one minor complaint - each bag was a single slab rather than individual chunks, making sharing it amongst the family a tad more challenging.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Doesn't a small business have to have exactly 1 person to be counted as self-employed? :confused:

You can have 1 person companies that aren't self employed. If you're the owner/director of a Limited Company you're not self employed, you're employed by your company. Self employed really only applies to sole traders afaik.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile. In an impressive feat of self delusion and cuntery - Piers Morgan manages to get “I’m not racist but” and “mob lynching” into the same sentence

:eyepoop: I thought that was a parody at first, but no, that's the real headline, the whole thing. The article gets even worse. Like, even by the standards of the Paper That Supported Hitler.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

I have been silenced! Says man who NEVER loving SHUTS UP

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ro5s posted:

Please, for once, do not make the entire thread about one tedious poster.

Watch us :smug:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Darth Walrus posted:

get a knife?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

frankenbeans posted:

I just heard on the news that the US are threatening to put tariffs on UK-supplied furniture, ceramics and game consoles. Is there a UK-made games console I am unaware of? BBC Link

Or am I misunderstanding something/everything?

There's a further link in the BBC article with the full document. Game consoles reads to me like the gambling type of gaming machine (think one arm bandit / fixed odds betting terminal) not "ye olde station of play" knock offs. Considering how big gambling is in the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the machines you see in Vegas are made here. Note: That is pure speculation on my part.

edit: The items that immediately follow the "Video game machines" entry are what make me lean towards gambling type gaming and/or pub quiz machines.

quote:

• 9504.50.00 ............... Video game consoles and machines, other than those of heading
  • 9504.90.40 ............... Game machines (o/than coin- or token-operated) and parts and
    accessories thereof
  • 9504.90.60 ............... Chess, checkers, backgammon, darts and o/table and parlor games
    played on boards of a special design and parts thereof; poker chips
    and dice

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 29, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Very Chuck Tingle energy to that headline

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Darth Walrus posted:

making sharing it amongst the family a tad more challenging.

failing to see how bad.

You know what is bad though? the streets are back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYrCDC5ZuJ8

quote:

Tooting the Boris
Smoking on the Rishi
Shooting with my hand cocked

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not sure stabbing them will lighten the issue.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As if that's going to defend him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Very Chuck Tingle energy to that headline
Pounded In The Butt By My Own Repeated Insistence That I'm Not Racist And That Everyone Except Me Needs To Shut Up To Preserve Free Speech

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Darth Walrus posted:

What? Wait? You mean a slab =/= an individual piece? I don't grok.

(But then I do not understand the concept of 'sharing bag' or 'sharing bar' when it comes to confectionery.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 29, 2021

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Darth Walrus posted:

Feedback is noted.

For the record, the reason for the switch to slabs is that people were already cutting the chunks into smaller pieces (quite wisely; each chunk was about 100cal on it’s own!). Given that it’s being cut smaller already for consumption, putting it in slabs means less surface area to expose to the air and thus increased shelf life.

It’s also a lot easier to pack, and spare me the sniggering at the back of the class. :p

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Camrath posted:

Feedback is noted.

For the record, the reason for the switch to slabs is that people were already cutting the chunks into smaller pieces (quite wisely; each chunk was about 100cal on it’s own!). Given that it’s being cut smaller already for consumption, putting it in slabs means less surface area to expose to the air and thus increased shelf life.

It’s also a lot easier to pack, and spare me the sniggering at the back of the class. :p

Ah, fair enough, no worries, then. We'll survive, I'm sure.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

MikeCrotch posted:

I mean we're all wasting a lot of breath here for a guy who is unlikely to still be leader of Labour within a year so

It's possible that his job was always to soften up the party for a successor like Kinnock did for Blair but honestly I think this is really Keith trying his best

John Smith. Kinnock would have been the edging option.

As for the Creed speech, it would becwasted. My ex-CLP is currently giggling that there's a constituency called pudsey and they want the candidate to dress as the eponymous Teddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

There's a further link in the BBC article with the full document. Game consoles reads to me like the gambling type of gaming machine (think one arm bandit / fixed odds betting terminal) not "ye olde station of play" knock offs. Considering how big gambling is in the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the machines you see in Vegas are made here. Note: That is pure speculation on my part.

edit: The items that immediately follow the "Video game machines" entry are what make me lean towards gambling type gaming and/or pub quiz machines.

That's what I get for not reading proper. It's been so long since I was last in a pub, I forgot video quiz\gambling machines existed.