Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's called 'Summon Endemic Life,' gatherer cats (white bag icon) get it primarily. I don't know if other cat types can get it but if they can it's rare. Should be the 3rd skill (which unlocks at cat level 10, I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm not really worrying about post-release content for this game----it is a Monster Hunter game, Capcom's flagship title, and likely is about to sell like 4 million in its first 30 days of release. Probably will be getting like 10 or 12 new monsters this year and eventually some kind of expansion----they'd be insane not to copy the Iceborne model again now that they have a great handheld to do it on + the RE Engine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Augus posted:

What's the downside to the Feral Demon Mode switch skill, the one that makes your Dual Blades dodge deal damage? It can't just be a flat upgrade, right?

The speed boost has its uses but strictly in combat it's better since you can now do a bit of damage repositioning.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope they do a bunch of goofy Nintendo property cross-overs like they did with 4 and Generations

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I found that as soon as I got the kinsects you can buy at 3-star village, insect glaive felt great. The speed-type ones that unlock at that point have just enough speed that they don't feel punishing to use. I'm looking forward to faster ones, but those are where I felt like they had reached "minimum usable speed" for kinsects.

The higher speed feels great but I am so weak for the rank 2 paralysis one. Especially in multi when you have 4 players all wailing on the immobile monster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I'm not really worrying about post-release content for this game----it is a Monster Hunter game, Capcom's flagship title, and likely is about to sell like 4 million in its first 30 days of release. Probably will be getting like 10 or 12 new monsters this year and eventually some kind of expansion----they'd be insane not to copy the Iceborne model again now that they have a great handheld to do it on + the RE Engine.

I assume they'll release an expansion eventually, yeah. I guess they could do what pre-World MH games did and just have a full-on updated rerelease but Iceborne seems like it did well with the expansion model so it'd make sense to do that again.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

I'm not really worrying about post-release content for this game----it is a Monster Hunter game, Capcom's flagship title, and likely is about to sell like 4 million in its first four days of release. Probably will be getting like 10 or 12 new monsters this year and eventually some kind of expansion----they'd be insane not to copy the Iceborne model again now that they have a great handheld to do it on + the RE Engine.
ftfy https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210329.html?_pb_uid=1929

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I don’t know what it is about Rise, but I’m finding myself bounce between different weapons way more than I ever did in World.

Might try the dual blades for a bit based on the design of some of these weapons alone

Also, Capcom where the gently caress are the layered weapons/armor? Some of these weapons are too glorious like this hammer that’s also a giant tire wheel

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Shipping 4 million copies is easier than selling them, though. Shipping just means that they went to a retailer.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Augus posted:

I hope they do a bunch of goofy Nintendo property cross-overs like they did with 4 and Generations

Not even allowing it for GotY consideration if we don't fight a Piranha Plant

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's called 'Summon Endemic Life,' gatherer cats (white bag icon) get it primarily. I don't know if other cat types can get it but if they can it's rare. Should be the 3rd skill (which unlocks at cat level 10, I think?)

I have a healing cat with it. FWIW, it's part of "equipped moves," not the skills that you set, I didn't even notice this tab till now. Can't say I like the idea that this stuff is fairly random.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Star posted:

I'm really enjoying the ease of finding other people to bang out a hunt with. It's almost equally as fast as preparing for it solo and more fun with all the chaos of 4 people and 4 helpers.

Indeed, it's seemless every time, and occasionally I'll drop in at the end of the hunt and get all the materials for free

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Badly Jester posted:

Shipping 4 million copies is easier than selling them, though. Shipping just means that they went to a retailer.

It also does not include digital sales.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

akkristor posted:

It also does not include digital sales.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1376434785082601473

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I have a healing cat with it. FWIW, it's part of "equipped moves," not the skills that you set, I didn't even notice this tab till now. Can't say I like the idea that this stuff is fairly random.

Palicos can teach each other skills in MHGU. Given how much of the older mobile games' DNA is in this game I'm hopeful we get that here too.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I stand corrected!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Hammer bros (or anyone) -- I'm completely overwhelmed by the huge amounts of weapons and armor available already. I just hit 4* -- is there a particular armor or hammer line I should be angling for? I've just been picking the one with the highest damage/defense numbers but now that elements are involved I have no idea what I should be farming up for. I also have no idea what skills I'm supposed to be looking for or if they matter this early.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Oxyclean posted:

Making a “perfect” Palico in GU was teeth-grindingly frustrating.
And that’s with access to a hacked 3DS to get Japan-only skills.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 29, 2021

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Aerox posted:

Hammer bros (or anyone) -- I'm completely overwhelmed by the huge amounts of weapons and armor available already. I just hit 4* -- is there a particular armor or hammer line I should be angling for? I've just been picking the one with the highest damage/defense numbers but now that elements are involved I have no idea what I should be farming up for. I also have no idea what skills I'm supposed to be looking for or if they matter this early.

Don't worry about it too much yet. If you're finishing quests in a time you're happy with then keep trucking on. Once you get to near the end of High Rank is when you'll probably start "having" to pay attention to stuff like that and then in any future content as well maybe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Snake Maze posted:

...Did you rebind stuff to make clawing necessary? The default controls don't require The Claw for anything

...I don't remember now, is dpad left/right to scroll items not the default? Did I just gaslight myself? :psyduck:

But yeah, I have it set that way. On the Pro controller I can use the edge of my thumb to scroll thru items while moving, but the Hori Split stick has different angles and it doesn't really work, so I have to stand still.

(e) Can also use my right thumb to hit right on the dpad, barely, on the pro; not happening on the split for obvious reasons :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How long would you all say a solo hub hunt lasts, given no frills or gimmicks and some vague "average" gear and competence? I tried an Arzuros for a laugh and it took almost 30 minutes, which felt pretty bad :negative:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Badly Jester posted:

Granted but it seems like it’s selling quite well too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

How long would you all say a solo hub hunt lasts, given no frills or gimmicks and some vague "average" gear and competence? I tried an Arzuros for a laugh and it took almost 30 minutes, which felt pretty bad :negative:

This is apparently the comparison of Village Arzuros and Hub Arzuros:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Does anyone know if you can change the order of the dog/photo/etc bar? I want to put dog and the picture right together since they're the two I use, but I don't know if that's a setting or where it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

This is apparently the comparison of Village Arzuros and Hub Arzuros:

lol gently caress, that really shouldn't have taken 30 minutes, I clowned Village arzy in on-level gear in like 10

(e) wait I mathed wrong, and anyway counting KOs taking longer I guess it's not terrible

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Augus posted:

What's the downside to the Feral Demon Mode switch skill, the one that makes your Dual Blades dodge deal damage? It can't just be a flat upgrade, right?

The windup to get into demon mode takes longer and kinda holds you in place, and you don't run around faster during it. The damage you get out of the dodges seemed negligible to me so I am still using normal demon mode. All it is is a vehicle for me to do aerial poo poo anyway. I feel like my brain gets smaller every time I hit the A button and jump on top of the monster because I know it's not always the best option but it's always the option I WANT to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

...I don't remember now, is dpad left/right to scroll items not the default? Did I just gaslight myself? :psyduck:
by default you scroll items by holding L and using the face buttons (Y and A on the Nintendo consoles). It has been like this since forever :iiam:

Ciaphas posted:

I ended most village hunts in ~5 minutes and hub hunts last more like 10-15 minutes for me

Jade Mage posted:

Does anyone know if you can change the order of the dog/photo/etc bar? I want to put dog and the picture right together since they're the two I use, but I don't know if that's a setting or where it is.
you can edit the action bar from the start menu. It lets you toggle on and off stuff and rearranging the icons.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

But yeah, I have it set that way. On the Pro controller I can use the edge of my thumb to scroll thru items while moving, but the Hori Split stick has different angles and it doesn't really work, so I have to stand still.

(e) Can also use my right thumb to hit right on the dpad, barely, on the pro; not happening on the split for obvious reasons :v:

uh yeah that's not the default lol, the default controls have you hold L and press A or Y to cycle through the item bar, probably set it back to that so you can continue scrolling through items while moving

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In World I usually counted on solo hunts being about a half hour so I don’t think it is that much of an outlier.

Edit: maybe I am just weird, heh

If I may ask, is the online play reasonably smooth?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Your Computer posted:

by default you scroll items by holding L and using the face buttons (Y and A on the Nintendo consoles). It has been like this since forever :iiam:

...I don't remember ever using those controls in world but I just tried them and my left index finger and right thumb sure do

where am i and who the hell are you people, i'm old and forgetful :corsair:

ngl that's a little worrying lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 29, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

In World I usually counted on solo hunts being about a half hour so I don’t think it is that much of an outlier.

Edit: maybe I am just weird, heh

If I may ask, is the online play reasonably smooth?

I haven't had a single problem finding or playing a game yet, and only one lag-related ingame incident where the monster kinda froze up at times. I haven't tried actual lobbies per se, though, just Join Requests (this game's SOS, kinda)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

lol gently caress, that really shouldn't have taken 30 minutes, I clowned Village arzy in on-level gear in like 10

(e) wait I mathed wrong, and anyway counting KOs taking longer I guess it's not terrible

Yeah, it apparently has over double health and is harder in other ways.

4 Player HP for Arz is apparently 12,487, so it seems the scaling for multiple players is much less then a direct multiplier. (Which I think has usually been the case?)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I don't remember ever using those controls in world but I just tried them and my left index finger and right thumb sure do

where am i and who the hell are you people, i'm old and forgetful :corsair:

Those controls are so weird to me because they've been the default forever and I always found them super clumsy when I tried the pre-World MH games. Then in World I could switch items with the d-pad, and yet for some reason I would just unconsciously use the "hold L and press the face buttons" method. The thing that I found impossible to get used to in the past became just like the automatic behavior only after there was an alternative. It's really weird to notice.

Sounds like you might've had the same experience :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, it apparently has over double health and is harder in other ways.

4 Player HP for Arz is apparently 12,487, so it seems the scaling for multiple players is much less then a direct multiplier. (Which I think has usually been the case?)

I'm obviously no expert but wasn't Hub in MHGU a flat (but higher) multiplier with no scaling? Still less than x4, though, so same as would be here, full parties tended to hunt faster than solo (barring fuckwittery of course)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm def trying to get used to using the d-pad, but it can be clumsy at times. Probably less so if you put all your important items on the radial menu and keep the actual item bar for rare things you don't do that often.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mailer posted:

Magmamarshmallow ain't no joke. Along with... most of the roster so far he's very much into that hop-back-just-out-of-range game only he actually hurts. Some day I'll learn to use silkbind moves and stop sitting there eating poo poo with a lance.

You don't need the silkbind, necessarily. Lance has enough mobility in its toolkit to close most distances quickly enough. Do you abuse the poo poo out of Guard Dash to keep close/safely reposition, and use Dash Attack as soon as a monster hops away?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
SnS feels like hammer now, good grief. Does anyone know if the shield bash does decreased elemental damage or something? Can't imagine why I'd ever use any of the standing slash combos now.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Harrow posted:

Decorations are craftable this time around, right?

I don't know if anyone's gotten to the point of digging into that, but how much of a grind is it, out of curiosity? I watched a couple of high rank hunt videos and noticed that Attack Boost gems seem to be back, but the idea that I can craft them instead of having to pray for a lucky drop sounds a lot better.

They are extremely stingy with the jewels needed to craft them for some reason, they are limited to quest rewards and you will get something like 0-2 jewels per quest when the better decorations need 5 jewels to craft. It
feels really strange to be limited by jewels instead of parts since you were buried under mountains of jewels in the older games.

The charm grind seems like it will be absolutely awful, they play with letting you aim for skills for the first the first couple tiers of melding but you are entirely at the mercy of rng for the best charms. It's also incredibly expensive, throwing all the materials you get from a quest into the melder probably won't let you get the maximum 5 charms per meld unless you were doing a rampage quest or elder dragon.

Charm RNG was tolerable in older games because every quest gave you some and you really didn't need anything more than something with a skill you wanted and 3 slots. Getting slots at all feels much rarer in rise and there is a much larger range of potential power in both skills and slots.

Kagrenac fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 29, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shine posted:

You don't need the silkbind, necessarily. Lance has enough mobility in its toolkit to close most distances quickly enough. Do you abuse the poo poo out of Guard Dash to keep close/safely reposition, and use Dash Attack as soon as a monster hops away?

I'm gonna slide into the conversation and ask: what do you do when the jerk's jumped back too far for one Guard Dash, but too close for anything but a weak quixote charge? Seems like you can't readily chain the dashes, unless I'm thinking of the wrong move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm obviously no expert but wasn't Hub in MHGU a flat (but higher) multiplier with no scaling? Still less than x4, though, so same as would be here, full parties tended to hunt faster than solo (barring fuckwittery of course)

It was a roughly 1.5 - 1.6x multiplier at similar levels in GU, whereas World was a flat 2.5x multiplier.

Here's Arzuros in Village and Hub GU:
Village 2*: https://mhgu.kiranico.com/quest/4da00
Hub 1*: https://mhgu.kiranico.com/quest/90905