Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, fair enough, no worries, then. We'll survive, I'm sure.

It’s an experiment- most parcels should drop today, so I’m waiting to see what the general response is.

If people hate it, then I’ll be straight back to doing chunks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

[...]
One thing I will at least point to with the corporation tax vote is that keirs absolutely right. The coronavirus financial package has been stonking but the GFC showed pretty hard what happens when you cut out the demand from surplus cash on hand it becomes an incredibly difficult situation to come back from since everyone is sitting on everyone else's hands.

And by numbers that will affect a lot of self employed people who don't need an excuse not to vote Labour as they feel abandoned by them already.

Its not great by any means but it is practical ™

Maybe we could try and look at things like labour got bent over a knee and spanked by the opposition to an 80 seat majority because newsflash that's what happened and the wilderness isn't just calling but sat outside our house in a car.

for balance i feel starmer has got some things right. for example, he proposed the circuit breaker idea last year, boris rubbished it, then boris had to implement it a week later anyway

i also agreed with labour's opposition to raising taxes (even corporation tax) this year because raising taxes to pay for the pandemic feeds into the credit card analogy

i agree that saying starmer is worse than boris or labour are worse than tories is being hyperbolic. the test for me is, if you flipped the current cabinet and shadow cabinet, would the uk be better off in all the ways that matter?

starmer's issue is he is the theresa may of labour without the power. he has no charisma and no recognisable principles beyond backing law and order (that principle appeals to lots of people though and is harder to fake than most). the politicians who have won GEs since 1979 have been the more charismatic candidate, with the possible exception of john major (im too young to remember kinnock but i understand the guy was (is?) bald welsh ginger and fell into the sea on live tv at one point).

the good news for people who think a labour PM would be better is that populism's popularity is difficult to sustain in power and the scandals are piling up

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Alba party confirmed as a troll.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1376569478511788034

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Camrath posted:

Feedback is noted.

For the record, the reason for the switch to slabs is that people were already cutting the chunks into smaller pieces (quite wisely; each chunk was about 100cal on it’s own!). Given that it’s being cut smaller already for consumption, putting it in slabs means less surface area to expose to the air and thus increased shelf life.

It’s also a lot easier to pack, and spare me the sniggering at the back of the class. :p

Commentary on fudge or class A drugs, you decide.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
It's nice Scotland finally gets its own CUKTIG

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Camrath posted:

people were already cutting the chunks into smaller pieces

Cowards.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Trickjaw posted:

John Smith. Kinnock would have been the edging option.

As for the Creed speech, it would becwasted. My ex-CLP is currently giggling that there's a constituency called pudsey and they want the candidate to dress as the eponymous Teddy.

I meant that Kinnock did the vicious factional infighting and turn to the right that Blair then inherited. Blair didn't actually have to do much against the left, they'd either been booted out already, become demoralised by politics and left or seen the course of the 80s and the fall of the USSR and come round to the idea that centre-left neoliberalism was in fact the only viable option

Oct 4, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

the good news for people who think a labour PM would be better is that populism's popularity is difficult to sustain in power and the scandals are piling up

Boris's entire life is one scandal after another, I doubt one more is going to sink him.

And people really are stupid enough to vote for these bastards a fourth time.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Camrath posted:

Feedback is noted.

For the record, the reason for the switch to slabs is that people were already cutting the chunks into smaller pieces (quite wisely; each chunk was about 100cal on it’s own!). Given that it’s being cut smaller already for consumption, putting it in slabs means less surface area to expose to the air and thus increased shelf life.

It’s also a lot easier to pack, and spare me the sniggering at the back of the class. :p

Can you link your fudge website please?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Payndz posted:

Totally read that last line in Palpatine's voice.

Emperor Palpatine put more time and thought into developing his policy of "destroy the Jedi" than Keith has put into any of his

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Steakandchips posted:

Can you link your fudge website please?

https://www.fudjit.co.uk/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

There's a further link in the BBC article with the full document. Game consoles reads to me like the gambling type of gaming machine (think one arm bandit / fixed odds betting terminal) not "ye olde station of play" knock offs. Considering how big gambling is in the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the machines you see in Vegas are made here. Note: That is pure speculation on my part.

edit: The items that immediately follow the "Video game machines" entry are what make me lean towards gambling type gaming and/or pub quiz machines.

We do (or at one point did) export a lot of snooker and pool tables, as well as seaside amusement-type games machines. In both cases though I'm fairly certain none - or very few - of these exports were to the US though.

I'm fairly sure US gaming machines are far more heavily-regulated than UK ones too (in particular the "game of chance"/"game of skill" divide is completely different, which is why UK fruit machines have hold buttons and minigames while US slot machines are literally just 3/4/5 reels and a start button, so it's not like there's a big saving to be had in making both. I'm also sure I've read that - at least in Nevada, which is the biggest market by a huge distance - the commissioners reserve the right to just turn up at the factory to inspect poo poo because they treat regulation of slot machines far more carefully than they do voting machines, which is a bit trickier if they're being made in Blackpool.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was watching The Thick of It recently and it made me think, Dan Miller is definitely what liberals think David Miliband would have been, isn't he. So does that make Nicola Murray Ed? Or is she some amalgam of him and Harriet Harman (or as my Lib Dem dad calls her, Harriet Harperson).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's always gratifying when someone who comes into this thread purely for a spot of drive-by trolling is already on my ignore list

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile. In an impressive feat of self delusion and cuntery - Piers Morgan manages to get “I’m not racist but” and “mob lynching” into the same sentence

She literally called her co-hosts racial slurs.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
In rona chat I am glad to confirm that apparently it has completely vanished in London as Marks’ beer shelves were completely bare and everyone was buying bbq meat for far more than six people. Nature is healing and what not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but people can do that and not identify as racists and that is the most important identity to respect, after pier's morgan's potato's gende'r.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

1965917 posted:

Boris's entire life is one scandal after another, I doubt one more is going to sink him.

And people really are stupid enough to vote for these bastards a fourth time.

I agree boris's colourful personal life TM is all part of his charm. by scandals i should have specified its the them vs. us stuff like cummings and the corruption (e.g. dodgy contracts, the housing minister) of the rest of the cabinet i had in mind

then of course very boring things (like the middle class turning against the tories cause a) they cant sell their homes or b) make 40k a year from being a small landlord any more) can be costly

boris got a huge majority, got brexit done then got covid and got REALLY popular. six weeks later hes facing calls to stand down over cummings. assuming no further scandals, by the next GE the govt wont be paying people not to work, and instead the effects of brexit and pandemic will be felt. it feels like peaking too early to me

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/boris-johnson-approval-rating

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

7% of people don't know what they think about boris johnson

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Aidan_702 posted:

everyone was buying bbq meat for far more than six people

I can gobble way more meat than the average person

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Zero Gravitas posted:

gently caress, in the same way we all got wrapped up in corbyn being a messianic figure

lol there was plenty of criticism of his leadership, especially in the last year and a half

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

Remember gatherings are still limited to six people.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

kecske posted:

There were some loving bargains on "party food" at Christmas time this year I tell you

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1376577298237915141?s=19

Lmao this petty poo poo makes it sound like they've not vaccinated their own citizens to spite British holiday makers.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile. In an impressive feat of self delusion and cuntery - Piers Morgan manages to get “I’m not racist but” and “mob lynching” into the same sentence

Sharon Osbourne a wretched excuse for a human? I would never guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4OosxeTi0E

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's hard not to read that in television rassler voice

JUST TRY COMING ONTO OUR TURF, ENJOY YOUR DRIZZLY ROCKY BEACHES YOU TEA DRINKING MAGGOTS :black101:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao this petty poo poo makes it sound like they've not vaccinated their own citizens to spite British holiday makers.

The last five years has just been a circle which began and ends with 'the people in power are poo poo', it doesn't matter what nationality they are :sigh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If the Tories didn't already have a stonking majority that's still safe for another 3 1/2 years (plus change) then there would be a very good impetus for Boris to call an election sometime later this year to shore himself up, especially as Labour are cratering thanks to Starmer's bold and visionary leadership, and it could be sold as "We must ask you, The People, on the direction the country takes now that we've Brexited and in the post-pandemic world", but as it stands there's little reason to bother, unless he's about to get knifed from inside the party and it would be his play to stay in Number 10 I suppose.

Breath Ray posted:

i agree that saying starmer is worse than boris or labour are worse than tories is being hyperbolic. the test for me is, if you flipped the current cabinet and shadow cabinet, would the uk be better off in all the ways that matter?

I mean, I guess if I had a button that could replace the current Cabinet with the Shad Cab I would press it, but I wouldn't expect it to achieve very much, at best I would anticipate the decline would be slowed or temporarily halted. Maybe Thomas-Symonds would be less poo poo than Patel as Home Sec, but he got a PPE from Oxford so I would expect that to be a question of degree rather than substance, and anyway if the most inspirational thing you can manage is "Not as evil as Thatcher's current host" that doesn't speak volumes to your inspirational qualities as a frontbench or political party.

The thing about Starmer is that after we got rocked on our heels in 2019 the UK left certainly had people in it who either thought "Maybe we need to try a different tack" or "As a matter of pragmatism we need to go slower" and were willing to at least give Starmer a chance. In retrospect it was melty of me but my own attitude was "Okay, I support a lot of what the Corbyn platform wants, but I accept that the very fact of this defeat means it's probably a non-starter for awhile, just because people don't like voting for losers. And I expect Starmer to be a centrist melt but obviously the left of the party still has a lot of energy and resources, especially in terms of knocking on doors, so I expect he will keep a few Corbynite policies to try and keep them on his side and unite the party." I even expected some of those would be jettisoned if/when he got the keys to Downing Street, but I figured even if we get just, say, two Corbyn planks, it'd by any objective measure be better than zero of them under the Tories, so, fine, the party has spoken, let's see what Starmer can do.

What I did not expect was that he would be so thoroughly cowardly that he makes Clintonite focus group chasing to be bold and decisive. What few policy positions he's laid out have been to the right of the tories, although I see Breath Ray's point that the corporation tax question might also have a left-wing reason to oppose it. He's demanded things either after the tories have already come out and themselves called for them, or has demanded kids be back in school (Which is a complex issue and I know there are good reasons to have wanted it ASAP, but it was not what I would characterize as the sole issue in the country warranting Starmer actually take a stance on), but where are his big tentpole policies? I get that even by my own above statement we're a few years out from the next election so I don't expect a detailed manifesto but any serious opposition party should have an outline for what they'd be putting in said manifesto if a snap election was called - we didn't know everything that would go into the 2017 or 2019 Labour manifestos but Corbyn said enough that we had a good notion of what it would look like and what kinds of major policies we could expect to feature. Quite aside from whether the ideas are any good or not, at a fundamental level it's simply terrible politics that even a bunch of nerds like ITT can't really tell you what a Starmer premiership would want to do. Of course we project our own biases onto him, and extrapolate from what little he has actually set out a stance on, when that's all we have to go on; what else can we base our expectations on? At least if he had a few ideas of his own someone like ZG coming into the thread would be able to point to those and say "Look he wants to do X, Y, and Z, why do you hate him?" rather than fumbling in the dark until hitting on the critical red-button issue of... raising corporation tax by 6%.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 29, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gonzo McFee posted:

Eternal covid may seem a small price to pay when the alternative is British stag dos on your streets.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

why Starmer is poo poo

Honestly, the most telling thing I can think of about Keith is that almost literally every time he's crept out of his hole to utter an opinion that decision has proven to be spectacularly bad, either in timing or content.

Keith Starmer is the Dan Hodges of political leaders.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

7% of people don't know what they think about boris johnson

there are more than 20 million people in this country who are apolitical to the extent of not even voting, honestly I'm surprised it's as low as 7%

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

Eternal covid may seem a small price to pay when the alternative is British stag dos on your streets.

It was pretty funny watching (via webcam) the British stag dos stumbling confusedly through a locked-down Temple Bar last March

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

loving howling at Mastermind just now. The winning candidate (by a long way) was asked which party leader lost their seat of East Dunbartonshire by 149 votes in the 2019 general election: he looked blankly and after a pause just shook his head and shrugged as he answered "Anderton" and I drat near died.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

If the Tories didn't already have a stonking majority that's still safe for another 3 1/2 years (plus change) then there would be a very good impetus for Boris to call an election sometime later this year to shore himself up, especially as Labour are cratering thanks to Starmer's bold and visionary leadership, and it could be sold as "We must ask you, The People, on the direction the country takes now that we've Brexited and in the post-pandemic world", but as it stands there's little reason to bother, unless he's about to get knifed from inside the party and it would be his play to stay in Number 10 I suppose.

I mean, I guess if I had a button that could replace the current Cabinet with the Shad Cab I would press it, but I wouldn't expect it to achieve very much, at best I would anticipate the decline would be slowed or temporarily halted. Maybe Thomas-Symonds would be less poo poo than Patel as Home Sec, but he got a PPE from Oxford so I would expect that to be a question of degree rather than substance, and anyway if the most inspirational thing you can manage is "Not as evil as Thatcher's current host" that doesn't speak volumes to your inspirational qualities as a frontbench or political party.

The thing about Starmer is that after we got rocked on our heels in 2019 the UK left certainly had people in it who either thought "Maybe we need to try a different tack" or "As a matter of pragmatism we need to go slower" and were willing to at least give Starmer a chance. In retrospect it was melty of me but my own attitude was "Okay, I support a lot of what the Corbyn platform wants, but I accept that the very fact of this defeat means it's probably a non-starter for awhile, just because people don't like voting for losers. And I expect Starmer to be a centrist melt but obviously the left of the party still has a lot of energy and resources, especially in terms of knocking on doors, so I expect he will keep a few Corbynite policies to try and keep them on his side and unite the party." I even expected some of those would be jettisoned if/when he got the keys to Downing Street, but I figured even if we get just, say, two Corbyn planks, it'd by any objective measure be better than zero of them under the Tories, so, fine, the party has spoken, let's see what Starmer can do.

What I did not expect was that he would be so thoroughly cowardly that he makes Clintonite focus group chasing to be bold and decisive. What few policy positions he's laid out have been to the right of the tories, although I see Breath Ray's point that the corporation tax question might also have a left-wing reason to oppose it. He's demanded things either after the tories have already come out and themselves called for them, or has demanded kids be back in school (Which is a complex issue and I know there are good reasons to have wanted it ASAP, but it was not what I would characterize as the sole issue in the country warranting Starmer actually take a stance on), but where are his big tentpole policies? I get that even by my own above statement we're a few years out from the next election so I don't expect a detailed manifesto but any serious opposition party should have an outline for what they'd be putting in said manifesto if a snap election was called - we didn't know everything that would go into the 2017 or 2019 Labour manifestos but Corbyn said enough that we had a good notion of what it would look like and what kinds of major policies we could expect to feature. Quite aside from whether the ideas are any good or not, at a fundamental level it's simply terrible politics that even a bunch of nerds like ITT can't really tell you what a Starmer premiership would want to do. Of course we project our own biases onto him, and extrapolate from what little he has actually set out a stance on, when that's all we have to go on; what else can we base our expectations on? At least if he had a few ideas of his own someone like ZG coming into the thread would be able to point to those and say "Look he wants to do X, Y, and Z, why do you hate him?" rather than fumbling in the dark until hitting on the critical red-button issue of... raising corporation tax by 6%.

i agree with all this, just wanted to voice some optimism. starmer needs to back some of the apolitical but popular stuff like broadband for all and nationalisation itpo

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We do (or at one point did) export a lot of snooker and pool tables, as well as seaside amusement-type games machines. In both cases though I'm fairly certain none - or very few - of these exports were to the US though.

I'm fairly sure US gaming machines are far more heavily-regulated than UK ones too (in particular the "game of chance"/"game of skill" divide is completely different, which is why UK fruit machines have hold buttons and minigames while US slot machines are literally just 3/4/5 reels and a start button, so it's not like there's a big saving to be had in making both. I'm also sure I've read that - at least in Nevada, which is the biggest market by a huge distance - the commissioners reserve the right to just turn up at the factory to inspect poo poo because they treat regulation of slot machines far more carefully than they do voting machines, which is a bit trickier if they're being made in Blackpool.

Did wonder about that and had a short form theory of "Maybe they just use 2/3 builds for the more restricted machines" but yes, what you said about the Nevada gaming commission is true so that's that theory out the window. Perhaps its our other gaming exports that will face tariffs?

(Shamelessly stolen from Digitiser)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Meant to post earlier but it's been too nice a day to spend looking at my phone - my fudge also arrived today. I've only tried the cherry Bakewell and whisky and ginger flavours but they are absolutely everything I hoped for. So good.

I immediately clocked the reason for delivering in slabs rather than pieces and I think it's eminently sensible and would be happy to get my fudge in this form in future. The increased surface area of the smaller pieces not only means it oxidises quicker, it also more readily picks up flavours/odours from wherever you've chosen to store it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

each chunk was about 100cal on it’s own

good thing i didn't order any this round i guess

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's sugar and fat mixed together what did you think it was gonna be like?

Like if you set out scientifically to make something more calorie dense you would struggle.

I guess you could dope the fudge with plutonium or something and make it so that when you eat it it goes critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's sugar and fat mixed together what did you think it was gonna be like?

Like if you set out scientifically to make something more calorie dense you would struggle.

I guess you could dope the fudge with plutonium or something and make it so that when you eat it it goes critical.

I know I was exaggerating for comic effect man