Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/tinysubversions/status/1376342800149536769

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

D-Pad posted:

Loss is like the one meme I just don't get why it's such a big deal. I guess because I just wasn't ever into the webcomic so didn't really get the big deal at the time.

CAD had been an internet laughingstock for a good long while before Loss happened. It lacked any sort of creativity, the "two gamers on a couch" webcomic formula was extremely oversaturated to begin with and CAD for most of it's early existence did nothing to set itself apart from the pack, the humor ranged from juvenile to "lolrandom," the displays of "gamer culture" were extremely cringeworthy, and its copypasted art was looking increasingly bad as more and more webcomics with good art were getting made. And if you were willing to dig into the internet drama more, you'd find that the artist was a stuck-up rear end in a top hat and possibly sent dick pics to female fans.

Then Loss happened. The attempt to pivot from the most generic gamer comic ever to something serious and dramatic was so clumsy that the internet just exploded.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've got a friend who had a miscarriage and she loving hates the loss meme, for what it's worth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that’s the point you aren’t supposed to like it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah the whole thing about Loss As Meme is that it was such a tonedeaf attempt at giving the comic a serious story arc when up until then all the characters were incredibly shallow and the interactions with the wife character were "lol women am I right fellas?" kinds of situations.

Also Buckley's commentary on it that went like "They say miscarriage is harder on the mother" or something. Very beep boop feelings robot kind of stuff.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Loss as a meme may have started as a way of mocking an inappropriate and tonedeaf comic, but now it's just about recognizing the reference and being in on the joke imo. It's like getting rickrolled or seeing the among us crewmate.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah the whole thing about Loss As Meme is that it was such a tonedeaf attempt at giving the comic a serious story arc when up until then all the characters were incredibly shallow and the interactions with the wife character were "lol women am I right fellas?" kinds of situations.

Also Buckley's commentary on it that went like "They say miscarriage is harder on the mother" or something. Very beep boop feelings robot kind of stuff.

She understand, but still hates it and I'm not about to argue the point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Loss as a meme may have started as a way of mocking an inappropriate and tonedeaf comic, but now it's just about recognizing the reference and being in on the joke imo. It's like getting rickrolled or seeing the among us crewmate.
As a pictogram it's way ahead of the rest of memes in this factor because it is everywhere, purposeful or accidental, real or imagined.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

She understand, but still hates it and I'm not about to argue the point.

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing with you at all. I was more explaining for D-Pad or anyone else not familiar with it that the point isn't "lol miscarriage"

That said:

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, fair.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s a tone deaf meme mocking a tone deaf comic.

It doesn’t upset me but it’s still a miscarriage joke along with the in joke

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I heard about a guy who's offended by the huge gaping rear end in the goatse meme, if you can believe it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

zoux posted:

I heard about a guy who's offended by the huge gaping rear end in the goatse meme, if you can believe it

Now that’s going too far

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

It’s a tone deaf meme mocking a tone deaf comic.

It doesn’t upset me but it’s still a miscarriage joke along with the in joke

I didn't think about the miscarriage angle for the longest time until very recently I linked one of the Ever Given loss pareidolia memes in a chat with a friend who's recently experienced a miscarriage. When they asked what the joke was I suddenly realized it and was like 'oh just a dumb meme' and felt bad about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/sarahlovesears/status/1376285596700848136

https://twitter.com/thesammyhannah/status/1376481261561208835

https://twitter.com/cyriakharris/status/1376593275629502466

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol what a tremendous wet blanket

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You should probably read her thread

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I did. Considering that she's posting a video that's ~10 years old I don't think people constantly sharing CI activations is a big problem.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

zoux posted:

Yeah I did

So why are they being a wet blanket? I learned a lot from that thread and it really seems like those videos are super misleading.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Seems kind of lovely to just assume those people weren’t fine with sharing their stories.

I get it’s so you can be a scold but don’t use others for that purpose

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"These people look super happy and they shouldn't look that happy because getting a CI activated isn't that great" is kinda wet blanket.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
e: nevermind

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It's not the posting of the videos by the original authors that's the problem it's them being repackaged (like the compilation in the tweet she's quoting) by hearing people as 'isn't it beautiful, these people are finally Not Deaf Any More' and i'm still not convinced people read the thread lol

https://twitter.com/sarahlovesears/status/1376285607505330177?s=20

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh you can repeat I don’t think you read the thread as much as you want, won’t make her suck any less

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Lol what a tremendous wet blanket

There's a joke in here somewhere about not being able to hear the train derailing that is this post to this thread.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh you can repeat I don’t think you read the thread as much as you want, won’t make her suck any less

lol yeah what a deaf bitch

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Seems kind of lovely to just assume those people weren’t fine with sharing their stories.

that's not at all what was said, you probably need to go reread the thread she posted.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is funny that she's only making the "problem" worse though lol

https://twitter.com/sarahlovesears/status/1376329881424908291

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Captain Monkey posted:

that's not at all what was said, you probably need to go reread the thread she posted.

Yeah they're gonna be sorry when Malachite Dragon hears about this.

....er

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh Gods it's going to be "Social theory of disability" chat all over again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

zoux posted:

It is funny that she's only making the "problem" worse though lol

https://twitter.com/sarahlovesears/status/1376329881424908291

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
She's not necessarily wrong that sharing the videos creates unrealistically high expectations about what receiving a cochlear implant means, but I also can't help but wonder if it's kind of like criticizing a compilation of beautiful wedding videos because some marriages end in divorce.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/GhostKollontai/status/1376606893964152838

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People can have unrealistic expectations based on a YouTube vid you can just inform them.

It’s kind of the job people are always going to come into anything hopeful it will do something that may not be realistic

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please do not share the video of me enjoying the Taco Bell unless you also plan on sharing the video of me not enjoying the Taco Bell as it leaves my body with such violence.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's one of her exact points: people --- unrelated to the people in the videos --- are using other people's videos for the purpose of getting Twitter likes by posting "watch how miraculous CIs are! uwu #blessed" when some of them aren't even CIs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No she’s says they are deeply personal. Which doesn’t make sense as people aren’t covertly posting them. They are openly being filmed. They want these stories out there

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Mar 29, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/BayouBun/status/1376200884779122689?s=20

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I feel like I'm going insane. Did I even read the same thread as you people? :psyduck:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
https://twitter.com/thedillonone/status/1376328343889588232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

CharlestheHammer posted:

No she’s says they are deeply personal. Which doesn’t make sense as people aren’t covertly posting them. They are openly being filmed. They want these stories out there

They want their stories out there, yes. Do they want them stuck in a YT compilation that misconstrues their story, solely for the clicks and likes for a total stranger? Tattooed woman doesnt even have a CI. I'd be pissed if I was her.