Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kin posted:

I'm hitting issues when trying to by those US PSN cards from Amazon. It keeps pulling them out of my cart with an error saying:
"We're sorry. Some items became unavailable after you added them to your cart. In some cases, you can return to the product information page to try another seller."

I'm guessing it's something to do with my delivery addresses (it's a UK Amazon account). I added a US address, but it hasn't made a difference.

Do i need to make a completely brand new amazon account or something?

Playasia should sell cards from all sorts of regions and dont give a poo poo about where you live. Theyll email the code when the payment clears. I think it usually costs a little more than Amazon but without the hoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There's also the semi-recent port of the original Katamari Damacy for Switch and PC, which should be available digitally on both platforms.

That’s on PS4 now as well

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I use gameflip.com to get my PSN codes. I'm sure they're stolen, or bought with stolen CC#s, or some fuckery is afoot, because I've gotten $100 cards for up to 14% off.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the sellers are looking to scam you, but I haven't personally run into that yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the main thing with greymarket poo poo is to never give them your cc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kin posted:

I'm hitting issues when trying to by those US PSN cards from Amazon. It keeps pulling them out of my cart with an error saying:
"We're sorry. Some items became unavailable after you added them to your cart. In some cases, you can return to the product information page to try another seller."

I'm guessing it's something to do with my delivery addresses (it's a UK Amazon account). I added a US address, but it hasn't made a difference.

Do i need to make a completely brand new amazon account or something?

Oh, yes you need to make an actual US account on Amazon.com, you can't just buy them from the UK store.
Don't use third party sellers like PlayAsia because they will add a mark up and you can just get them at cost this way.

So quick step by step guide:
1. Make a new Amazon.com account, doesn't matter about the details because they don't check anything
2. Add your normal card when you need to but give a US billing address, I used 90210 as the zip code since I remembered it from the show, you can make up the rest as nothing else matters
3. Order card, if it does ask for a shipping address just use the billing address you made up, it won't matter since they just e-mail you a digital code
First time it can take a few minutes to process your order

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 28, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh, yes you need to make an actual US account on Amazon.com, you can't just buy them from the UK store.
Don't use third party sellers like PlayAsia because they will add a mark up and you can just get them at cost this way.

So quick step by step guide:
1. Make a new Amazon.com account, doesn't matter about the details because they don't check anything
2. Add your normal card when you need to but give a US billing address, I used 90210 as the zip code since I remembered it from the show, you can make up the rest as nothing else matters
3. Order card, if it does ask for a shipping address just use the billing address you made up, it won't matter since they just e-mail you a digital code
First time it can take a few minutes to process your order

Cheers for that. Though the extra $2.20 charge on playasia is kinda worth it to not have to deal with any of that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've bought US PSN codes from PCGameSupply a bunch of times with no issues. They take a 5% surcharge, which isn't the worst thing. And they also take PayPal so you don't have to give them your CC info.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1376580160875495427?s=20

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The PSP/Vita/PS3 store closures is now official, rather than just a rumor.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2021

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yeah that's not a photoshop because I seem to have just gotten one minutes ago, check your inboxes I guess

e: also I love the line about "enhancing the customer experience even further", because updating the webstore did the exact opposite of that

Veib fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 29, 2021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/Lbabinz/status/1376587904835670022?s=20

Oh right, Tweets are broken. Here's a capture of the important details.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So a few interesting details there.

- PSN product codes for PS3/PSP/Vita stuff will still work, so like if you buy an ancient game with a bundled unused season pass voucher, you will still be able to claim it.
- Games which are cross-buy (buy the PS4 version, get the PS3/Vita version too) will continue to give you these other versions and will be unchanged, you'll just have to buy the PS4 version.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Veib posted:

Yeah that's not a photoshop because I seem to have just gotten one minutes ago, check your inboxes I guess

e: also I love the line about "enhancing the customer experience even further", because updating the webstore did the exact opposite of that

I enjoyed the Play without limits strapline, right at the bottom of an email where they cancel a console’s store.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Wish me luck in my attempts to get PS Support to unlink Muramasa: Rebirth and Gravity Rush from my account so that I'll be able to buy them for real, instead of having them forever be tied to my PS+ subscription.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So if they're going to keep servers going to download games you own, why not just keep the whole store up? Just because of maintaining the storefronts would be too expensive? I mean I guess folks aren't buying PS3/PSP/Vita games that much anymore but they are killing off that stream of revenue, however small, and still have to keep servers going for game downloads.

Weavered posted:

I enjoyed the Play without limits strapline, right at the bottom of an email where they cancel a console’s store.

Yeah, this stuck out to me too.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My best guess is that something to do with renewals of licensing agreements on digital sales, or maybe paying out revenue shares on increasingly smaller amounts of sales, costs more money in administration than it brings in.

But I agree that, on its face, it seems nuts to close down specifically and only the part of these stores that bring in money, while keeping all the other bits running.

VV Actually it's probably that VV

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 29, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So they can shut off redownloading in a few years and can go “but the store doesn’t even exist anymore why are you complaining?”

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Is the download list linked to your psn account or the console? Like if my ps3/vita breaks and I link my new one to my old psn account, is the download list still there? Just wondering to be on the safe side.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kay Kessler posted:

Is the download list linked to your psn account or the console? Like if my ps3/vita breaks and I link my new one to my old psn account, is the download list still there? Just wondering to be on the safe side.

It's linked to your account.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I do t see anything about patching in the announcement. Did I miss something? Will we still be able to patch games we re-download or discs we buy after the close?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

So if they're going to keep servers going to download games you own, why not just keep the whole store up? Just because of maintaining the storefronts would be too expensive?

It is basically this, yes. Not maintaining it means less upkeep - and if the store isn't seeing much traffic there isn't a point to spending money on it. I'm sure they also run on old software and tech that Sony wants to get rid of.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I do t see anything about patching in the announcement. Did I miss something? Will we still be able to patch games we re-download or discs we buy after the close?

It's not offical but I'd expect patches to be available for however long the download services are kept alive. They're essentially free DLC you're automatically given the tokens for.

(reply is not edit)

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

There a level of upkeep below what they're currently doing??

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BrewingTea posted:

There a level of upkeep below what they're currently doing??

Yep. It’s called shutting it down.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gutcruncher posted:

So they can shut off redownloading in a few years and can go “but the store doesn’t even exist anymore why are you complaining?”

Even if they wanted to, they probably can't legally do that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So why not just list the games on the current store or make the games available on PSNow. Hell i'm betting the entire PSOne collection comes in at a smaller file size than Black Ops 3 which streams over Now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sony loving hates the PS3

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sony loving hates the PS3

Developers too!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Ironic they’re killing the PS3 store, the outgrowth of a console plagued by hubris, in order to move onward to PS5, a console which appears to be plagued by hubris.

If I hadn’t made the mistake of going all-in on digital this past gen, I’d probably skip PS5, but if they do poo poo like this I’d be worried that the PS4 would be bullied into obsolescence.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jim ryan is a bad man that hates me

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
what reasons are there even to get a PS5 when you already have a PS4 Pro and think that 4K is pure liquid snake oil

1. Demon's Souls Remaster
2. That upcoming Yuffie DLC for FF7R
2½. FF7 Remake at 60FPS (totally worth the $665 the console costs in this country, plus the untold hours spent hunting for one that's in stock)
3. ???

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

My guess is yes. It really sounds like the only thing they're specifically cutting off is interactions with the store. Download list and online games and updates it sounds like are sticking around.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the PS3. :smith:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

what reasons are there even to get a PS5 when you already have a PS4 Pro and think that 4K is pure liquid snake oil

2½. FF7 Remake at 60FPS (totally worth the $665 the console costs in this country, plus the untold hours spent hunting for one that's in stock)
3. ???

Exactly my point. It’s kind of a bad value proposition.

Do we know enough about the store infrastructure to say that they won’t do this exact same thing with the PS4 down the line? Are the two storefronts tied together such that you could just spring for a pro and ride this out? Right now the only good reason to get a PS5 is future proofing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

3. ???

You like housemarque games too much and want to be ready for returnal

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It kicks rear end that Yakuza Kiwami 2 takes like 6 seconds to load on PS5 then I tried playing it on PS4 and it took 2 minutes. The performance and loading on everything makes everything so much better.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Policenaut posted:

It kicks rear end that Yakuza Kiwami 2 takes like 6 seconds to load on PS5 then I tried playing it on PS4 and it took 2 minutes. The performance and loading on everything makes everything so much better.

Yeah, the reason to buy new consoles right now is this, basically. Don't buy a console for games that aren't out yet, buy it for the real things it does right now.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked the PS3. :smith:

Same! It was a cool console that I got a ton of use out of. It's also 15 years old, so it's a miracle mine still works.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
PS5 is just the PS4 Pro Pro

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Kin posted:

So why not just list the games on the current store or make the games available on PSNow. Hell i'm betting the entire PSOne collection comes in at a smaller file size than Black Ops 3 which streams over Now.

As far as putting it on the current store, a lot of it is probably technical. Not an expert here but my understanding is that the shift from the Cell/PowerPC architecture to x86 means everything has to be manually ported individually - which is exactly what Microsoft had to do, and did, with 360 games.

PSNow is a good idea but there is no way they would announce that before (checks calendar) August 28. They want people making panic purchases. Even if they do import a lot of content, they're going to need to do a lot of contract work to make it happen, they probably don't have the rights for most third party content to go on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just proof that this kind of work has no easy shortcut. I think backwards compatibility was kind of a lol afterthought back on 360 but when you look at the result of that two generations later its kind of amazing. Thinking if they do something like this in a timely fashion it's either something they've been working on low key for a really long time, or the more likely alternative, they'll be extraordinarily late to the party.