Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I like the vibe of what Gunn seems to be going for, it's just that what was in the trailer didn't wow me. Stuff like the bag of dicks banter seemed to be trying too hard. But after watching the great Harley Quinn show my bar is pretty high.

He's being really enthusiastic on Twitter and answering everyone's questions etc. so this probably wasn't some deal where the studio shoehorned in a bunch of garbage (like the original Justice League). So for that alone I'll see the movie.

Roman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comedy is almost universally one of the hardest things to do good trailers for so it's very possible jokes will land better in the final film than in the trailer. (As happens with... so so so many jokes.)

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Dick jokes can be very good but an especially long riff on "bag of dicks" seems at once very passé and very lame; I'm sure people excited by comparing rain to "angels splooging" will also love it however.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rabelais D posted:

Dick jokes can be very good but an especially long riff on "bag of dicks" seems at once very passé and very lame; I'm sure people excited by comparing rain to "angels splooging" will also love it however.

John Cena's line delivery is what makes the dicks on a beach joke work imo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Piell posted:

The animated show is very good

Just wanted to say yes. The show is stunningly good and I'm really stoked they are getting a third season.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

teagone posted:

John Cena's line delivery is what makes the dicks on a beach joke work imo.

Yeah that's definitely fair; it just seems like a joke written quite a few years ago, before you could go to the website bagofdicks.com and order a novelty bag of edible dicks

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'm psyched for it, and I'm never psyched for these. I just hope it doesn't get quip scripted to death like GoG. Felt like every line was constantly elbowing a redditor in the next seat to over guffaw with.

trash panda

WHEEZE

Edit: and yeah, like the computer toucher, a joke couldn't exist without someone reiterating how FUNNY it is.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Legit thought Harley said "angels smooching" and came away kinda confused, like are these really disgusting kisses or what

e: or are they like crying because they're so happily in love <-- actually thought that

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ImpAtom posted:

Comedy is almost universally one of the hardest things to do good trailers for so it's very possible jokes will land better in the final film than in the trailer. (As happens with... so so so many jokes.)

And marketing loves to put all the worst jokes in the trailer, even if they're not even in the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Do we know which character Taika Waititi is playing the movie? Weasel is played by Sean Gunn and I doubt James would replace him, I guess it might be Starro??

Spacebump posted:

I think that trailer makes it pretty clear that there is a first team sent made up of TDK, Mongal, Javelin, etc (basically the brightly colored costumed characters with Harley in the previous stuff put out for this.) I think that team clearly gets wrecked and the smaller team of people this trailer focused on are the main team in the film.

Yeah if you look through the list of team members throughout the film there's 14 or 15 of them, so there's probably at least 2 teams.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 27, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And marketing loves to put all the worst jokes in the trailer, even if they're not even in the movie.

or they take a joke that is actually funny and make it painfully unfunny for the trailer
this is why I hate movie trailers

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

pospysyl posted:

Uuuuh, so THAT happened.

They fly now?!?!

THEY FLY NOW.

That trailer was awful, the comedy is straight out of 2010 or something. WACKY, she said angel spooge!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

AlternateAccount posted:

They fly now?!?!

THEY FLY NOW.

That trailer was awful, the comedy is straight out of 2010 or something. WACKY, she said angel spooge!

I didn’t mind most of the jokes in the trailer but the angle splooge line was real bad. I cannot come up with a situation where that line would ever be funny to me.

And I mean, the bag/beach of dicks joke feels like it fell out of 2012. It was only saved by Cena’s delivery because he has incredible comedic chops.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Timeless Appeal posted:

This looks fine and I love Robbie as Harley.

I do kind of wish you had a Suicide Squad that feels like the 80s comics that are more of these political thrillers. It was such a cult classic for such a long time, current Suicide Squad is a bit of a monkey's paw.

John Ostrander is credited and has a cameo in the film.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mordiceius posted:

I didn’t mind most of the jokes in the trailer but the angle splooge line was real bad. I cannot come up with a situation where that line would ever be funny to me.

And I mean, the bag/beach of dicks joke feels like it fell out of 2012. It was only saved by Cena’s delivery because he has incredible comedic chops.

Yes. I will absolutely laugh at stupid humor, but this is so, so forced. Cena does get an A+ for basically trying to spin turds into gold and maybe almost getting there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good news, everyone: according to the AV Club, the new Falcon and Winter Soldier episode is the triumphant return of quippy banter to the MCU.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I read a review that praised it as “this generation’s Lethal Weapon”.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I feel like the '90s went every other year with a buddy-cop movie getting that label.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Apollo posted:

:shepicide:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr. Apollo posted:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I haven't watched Falcon & Winter, is Isaiah Bradley still a Muslim in this show?

Although I know about "is this guy bothering you?" and Battlestar offending Bucky.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The MSJ posted:

I haven't watched Falcon & Winter, is Isaiah Bradley still a Muslim in this show?

Although I know about "is this guy bothering you?" and Battlestar offending Bucky.

He’s only had one short scene, so if so, it hasn’t been brought up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's a scene where Bucky watches Battlestar Galactica? I might have to check that out, at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Apollo posted:

This generation's Lethal Weapon is the Lethal Weapon TV show

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mr. Apollo posted:

Give it time. Eventually some fuckwit is going to call it Marvel's Mississippi Burning.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Marvel's Another 48 Hours

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AlternateAccount posted:

They fly now?!?!

THEY FLY NOW.

I mean, that IS Dr quinzel's whole thing. It may function better in the scene it's pulled from.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Timby posted:

I feel like the '90s went every other year with a buddy-cop movie getting that label.

And that's why I haven't seen a buddy cop movie since Rush Hour 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded in Birds of Prey that Harley was giving me oddly 'middle-aged Jewish divorced aunt' energy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

There's a scene where Bucky watches Battlestar Galactica? I might have to check that out, at least.

Battlestar is the not-Bucky the US government paired with not-Captain America John Walker.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

John Ostrander is credited and has a cameo in the film.

He was credited and had a homage in the first film as well

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Battlestar is the not-Bucky the US government paired with not-Captain America John Walker.

It's at least possible that Bucky has seen Battlestar Galactica (both versions), but it looked like Bucky's reaction was more along the lines of "Really? Who disrespected you enough to give you such a cheesy code name?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

It's at least possible that Bucky has seen Battlestar Galactica (both versions), but it looked like Bucky's reaction was more along the lines of "Really? Who disrespected you enough to give you such a cheesy code name?"

I don't think he was annoyed on behalf of Battlestar, more that Battlestar had a nickname, so he was clearly trying to be a superhero, too. "Me, I'm Battlestar!"

Bucky: "...loving, really? That's it, I'm outta here, god drat loser."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

thrawn527 posted:

I don't think he was annoyed on behalf of Battlestar, more that Battlestar had a nickname, so he was clearly trying to be a superhero, too. "Me, I'm Battlestar!"

Bucky: "...loving, really? That's it, I'm outta here, god drat loser."

Especially because Bucky's "super title" is one he clearly has no interest in continuing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Magmar posted:

Especially because Bucky's "super title" is one he clearly has no interest in continuing.

I tend to "head-wank" that when Bucky is sort of staring into space, he's actually glaring at the people in our who decided to name this series Falcon and the Winter Soldier when Bucky specifically made a point rejecting the code name, Winter Soldier, when he took down that Senator.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded in Birds of Prey that Harley was giving me oddly 'middle-aged Jewish divorced aunt' energy.

I watched that one yesterday. Fun enough, but it kind of made me wish for another Elvira movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

I watched that one yesterday. Fun enough, but it kind of made me wish for another Elvira movie.

Ok, you nailed it. That's EXACTLY the kind of energy I was getting from that film, but couldn't put it into words.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Black Adam has a release date again - July 29, 2022.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
A Black Adam?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2