Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rascyc posted:

SnS feels like hammer now, good grief. Does anyone know if the shield bash does decreased elemental damage or something? Can't imagine why I'd ever use any of the standing slash combos now.

the alternate A combo (drill slash?) is terrific DPS with much less setup than your other combos. it's really good for the jumping moving shuffling around won't stay still monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
The major downside I find with using the d-pad to switch items is that you can't easily do that while you're running, e.g. away from a monster.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Foul Fowl posted:

the alternate A combo (drill slash?) is terrific DPS with much less setup than your other combos. it's really good for the jumping moving shuffling around won't stay still monsters.
By alternate you mean switch skill? I'll have to look for that, I'd really like that I think

Only switch skill I have so far is the slide, which is pretty fun too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

I'm gonna slide into the conversation and ask: what do you do when the jerk's jumped back too far for one Guard Dash, but too close for anything but a weak quixote charge? Seems like you can't readily chain the dashes, unless I'm thinking of the wrong move

You can chain, but not while protecting yourself 100% of the time. A Guard Dash can chain to a Leaping Thrust or a Hop, and then into another Guard Dash if necessary.

Leaping Thrust lets your stamina recharge and is also an attack. Hop has a quicker animation so that you can get your guard back up (or chain another Guard Dash) more quickly.

Guard Dash/Hop is also handy for retreating from a big AOE attack, like the armadillo's big fart thing. After an attack or Hop, you can Guard Dash backward, then Hop backward (hold the stick back to hop farther) and then Guard Dash backward again. You'll cover a good amount of ground.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 29, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Aerox posted:

Hammer bros (or anyone)

Nargacuga Hammer is amazing.

I've been running that with 3 piece Izuchi, the Alloy legs (critical eye + attack boost), and an arm piece that boosts critical eye. I just swapped out the Izuchi waist for Barioth for +2 critical eye instead of the Izuchi's +1, but that requires a Barioth tail so it's probably not worth farming for.

Between that and the 40% affinity Narga hammer, I'm rocking 70% affinity right now.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 29, 2021

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rascyc posted:

By alternate you mean switch skill? I'll have to look for that, I'd really like that I think

Only switch skill I have so far is the slide, which is pretty fun too.

yeah switch skill - i think you have to craft 6 or 8 swords and shields and it unlocks, it's really strong and especially so much less cumbersome to use.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kagrenac posted:

They are extremely stingy with the jewels needed to craft them for some reason, they are limited to quest rewards and you will get something like 0-2 jewels per quest when the better decorations need 5 jewels to craft. It
feels really strange to be limited by jewels instead of parts since you were buried under mountains of jewels in the older games.

The charm grind seems like it will be absolutely awful, they play with letting you aim for skills for the first the first couple tiers of melding but you are entirely at the mercy of rng for the best charms. It's also incredibly expensive, throwing all the materials you get from a quest into the melder probably won't let you get the maximum 5 charms per meld unless you were doing a rampage quest or elder dragon.

Charm RNG was tolerable in older games because every quest gave you some and you really didn't need anything more than something with a skill you wanted and 3 slots. Getting slots at all feels much rarer in rise and there is a much larger range of potential power in both skills and slots.

I guess the question is: is it better than World? That's my only real point of comparison and I know the decoration RNG is definitely what burned me out (to the degree that I didn't really come back for Iceborne).

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it also makes a sound like you're winding a monster's tendon around a power drill which is uhh it's good.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Why can't I upgrade the Wind Thief lance? I have the lance forged, I have a ton of Izuchi parts (including all required for upgrade), but it says "You dont have the base weapon for this upgrade". do I need to have ... an extra Wind Thief lance? Makes no sense.

I have tried this both with the lance equipped and unequipped just in case it had to be in storage to be upgraded. Do you have to have both the listed materials under forge AND upgrade? I just can't make heads or tails of what is actually required that I don't have.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

I guess the question is: is it better than World? That's my only real point of comparison and I know the decoration RNG is definitely what burned me out (to the degree that I didn't really come back for Iceborne).

I think its going to depend on how much you desire a godlike charm. The range of efficiency of a charm is huge but if you're okay with merely a decent one then that should be a lot less frustrating. The real time sink will be making decent charms for multiple builds (rip gunners)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

Why can't I upgrade the Wind Thief lance? I have the lance forged, I have a ton of Izuchi parts (including all required for upgrade), but it says "You dont have the base weapon for this upgrade". do I need to have ... an extra Wind Thief lance? Makes no sense.

I have tried this both with the lance equipped and unequipped just in case it had to be in storage to be upgraded. Do you have to have both the listed materials under forge AND upgrade? I just can't make heads or tails of what is actually required that I don't have.

are you sure you're clicking 'upgrade' on the next tier and not on the one you currently have?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are skills activated the same waythey were in GU? Meaning, if I remember it correctly, you had to have a specific number of a skill to activate it. Like 2 points for attack up did nothing, but 3 points activated it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wildtortilla posted:

Are skills activated the same waythey were in GU? Meaning, if I remember it correctly, you had to have a specific number of a skill to activate it. Like 2 points for attack up did nothing, but 3 points activated it.

No they're like World

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Well, MH endgame is always going to be grindy since there isn't exactly anything else to do when you're done with the actual content

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Badly Jester posted:

The major downside I find with using the d-pad to switch items is that you can't easily do that while you're running, e.g. away from a monster.

If you are playing with a pro controller that has bindable back buttons (no joy for split pad), map dpad left to left back button and dpad right to right back button.

This doesn't work on hori split pad pro cause the buttons can't cross bind to buttons on the other side.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Your Computer posted:

are you sure you're clicking 'upgrade' on the next tier and not on the one you currently have?

Okay I was under the impression that you could upgrade weapons like you can with armor, and this is apparently not the case. Seems like a case of poor wording on Capcom's part. They should have used like 'reforge' or something to differentiate.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 29, 2021

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Sheep posted:

... what? Am I supposed to forge the item previous to the one I want, and then upgrade? You don't upgrade a weapon you already have?

I have a Wind Thief lance. I want to upgrade it. I select the Wind Thief lance, and I select 'upgrade'. Is this not how you upgrade a weapon?

That sounds like how you upgrade to a Wind Thief lance. If you already have one, check the upgrades tab or see if there's anything highlighted green to the right of it in the tree

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I tried some LBG last night and the silkbind attack you unlock, fanning maneuver, is so much fun. Just swinging around monsters whenever they even think about attacking me never gets old.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo the Nargacuga insect glaive has innate 40% affinity :eyepop: I already have Critical Eye 7 on my gear so that'd be 80% affinity

Now the question is if the downgrade in kinsect level and raw damage from the Magnamalo glaive I'm currently using is worth it. I'm bad at this kind of math :v:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Kilazar posted:

If you are playing with a pro controller that has bindable back buttons (no joy for split pad), map dpad left to left back button and dpad right to right back button.

This doesn't work on hori split pad pro cause the buttons can't cross bind to buttons on the other side.

You could always use the Switch system-level rebind to set them to something like L3/R3 and then bind those to the back buttons on the split pad.

That would make navigating menus kind of a pain in the rear end though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm giving GS another try. What should I be doing when most other weapons I'd have time for a single quick hit, and not enough time to even do a basic charge attack (let alone strong or true)? I barely know the other combos at all anymore from World.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Meridian posted:

Talk to the annoying dude that calls you "Ace" in the hub. He gives you a series of quests at hub rank 4.

Yeah that's who I talked to. He mentioned a series of quests to get more switch skills, and after I dismissed all the popups, I couldn't find them in my quest log or by talking to him. It's like the game forgot I was supposed to have access to these quests or something

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I was kinda excited for the idea of Monster Hunter Tower Defense but uh, man this is a clusterfuck.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo the Nargacuga insect glaive has innate 40% affinity :eyepop: I already have Critical Eye 7 on my gear so that'd be 80% affinity

Now the question is if the downgrade in kinsect level and raw damage from the Magnamalo glaive I'm currently using is worth it. I'm bad at this kind of math :v:

40% affinity is an average of 10% more damage without crit boost so probably not

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

404notfound posted:

Yeah that's who I talked to. He mentioned a series of quests to get more switch skills, and after I dismissed all the popups, I couldn't find them in my quest log or by talking to him. It's like the game forgot I was supposed to have access to these quests or something

They aren't sub/side quests. Go check Hub 4 Star quests. There's quests named after weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Assist-type kinsects are the coolest poo poo in the world oh my god

Assist-type blunt kinsects just let you bludgeon the poo poo out of a monster's head while doing your big glaive attacks and it's amazing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

they're not requests, they're just regular hub quests

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

I was kinda excited for the idea of Monster Hunter Tower Defense but uh, man this is a clusterfuck.

I'm fence sitting over whether to wait for the PC version or not, and rampage mode is doing some heavy lifting for the argument to wait. It remains to be seen if that mode would be fun on any hardware, but being on the switch certainly doesn't do it any favors

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

40% affinity is an average of 10% more damage without crit boost so probably not

Yeah, going all in on affinity one truly starts to be the best for damage once the base raw damage gets really high. For a large majority of the game straight raw is king.

A lot of negative affinity weapons even have Rampage Skills that somewhat negate the problem of low affinity.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Your Computer posted:

they're not requests, they're just regular hub quests

Ahh, there they are! I was confused since every other quest villagers give you goes into the sidequest menu. And I hadn't checked my 4* quests since I wanted to defeat all the 3* enemies at least once to unlock their armor and weapons

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm fence sitting over whether to wait for the PC version or not, and rampage mode is doing some heavy lifting for the argument to wait. It remains to be seen if that mode would be fun on any hardware, but being on the switch certainly doesn't do it any favors

Rise is smooth as butter even in Rampage mode, it's an entertaining clusterfuck because the scaling is entirely different from hunting. "Ah poo poo, there's a pukei in the air and like three boulders beating on the gate, I better ring this gong so my every attack tics for 200 damage and clear those three large monsters out simultaneously."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah I'm sticking with the Magnamalo glaive for now. Higher raw and blast (which I have no idea how effective it is, it's just fun) is gonna win out in this case.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Am I the only one using Insect Glaive? Finding pretty poor YouTube videos on it so I'm not even sure that I'm doing it right outside of the basic stuff. I do a lot of air attacking, almost never on the ground but one video said that was incorrect?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ciaphas posted:

I'm gonna slide into the conversation and ask: what do you do when the jerk's jumped back too far for one Guard Dash, but too close for anything but a weak quixote charge? Seems like you can't readily chain the dashes, unless I'm thinking of the wrong move

Evade extender and back hop takes you across the map in seconds.

You can also chain the dash steps.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm glad I finally gave DB a chance here - I keep trying to experiment with everything but keep coming back to these every important hunt. They might have finally surpassed SnS by preference, but it really depends on what game I'm playing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Am I the only one using Insect Glaive? Finding pretty poor YouTube videos on it so I'm not even sure that I'm doing it right outside of the basic stuff. I do a lot of air attacking, almost never on the ground but one video said that was incorrect?

I will never stop using insect glaive

So the general idea is that your ground attacks do more damage, but being in the air helps you evade. I've heard that Rise increased aerial damage but I think that's just a general observation people have had and nobody's sat down to do the math yet. The usual advice is that maximum damage comes from your ground attacks, though. I generally use air moves for mobility and evasion more than damage. That said, I do spend a decent amount of time in the air, especially when I'm getting to know a monster, just because it's a good way to avoid getting hit while you're learning a monster's moves.

Your big damage combo if you have an opening to hit a weak spot for a while is Forward+X -> A -> A (ending in Tornado Slash). (I might be misremembering the button combos, I don't have my Switch right in front of me to make sure I have it right, but A -> A is the most important part.)

If you haven't yet, give an Assist-type kinsect a try. If your kinsect is on your arm, it'll follow your blade as you swing when you do your heavy-hitting A-button moves and deal some extra damage. It's fun to have a blunt Assist kinsect because it can let you get KO's when you're hitting a monster's head.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Doomykins posted:

Rise is smooth as butter even in Rampage mode, it's an entertaining clusterfuck because the scaling is entirely different from hunting. "Ah poo poo, there's a pukei in the air and like three boulders beating on the gate, I better ring this gong so my every attack tics for 200 damage and clear those three large monsters out simultaneously."

Ehhh. The framerate dipping isn't actually even what bothers me the most although 60 certainly wouldn't hurt it, it's the horribly cluttered UI at 720p. It's kind of amusing to me that you can click anywhere in eg this video and have probably a 50% chance of seeing a UI crime against humanity. It seems to be a relatively common complaint so maybe they'll patch it though.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shine posted:

You don't need the silkbind, necessarily. Lance has enough mobility in its toolkit to close most distances quickly enough. Do you abuse the poo poo out of Guard Dash to keep close/safely reposition, and use Dash Attack as soon as a monster hops away?

This is my first rodeo with the Lance and I was surprised how mobile you can be with just the dash move. I rarely use the silkbind moves because I feel like the launch one doesn't really get you in a good spot. Seems easier just to guard dash. I should learn to use the guard silkbind, but since I'm not really super comfortable with the Lance yet, I still have stupid fingers.

I did capture Magnamalo with no issue using the lance and 2 points in the Guard skill, though.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ehhh. The framerate dipping isn't actually even what bothers me the most although 60 certainly wouldn't hurt it, it's the horribly cluttered UI at 720p. It's kind of amusing to me that you can click anywhere in eg this video and have probably a 50% chance of seeing a UI crime against humanity. It seems to be a relatively common complaint so maybe they'll patch it though.

If there are parts you don't care about, you can enable/disable different parts of the UI overlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I'm glad I finally gave DB a chance here - I keep trying to experiment with everything but keep coming back to these every important hunt. They might have finally surpassed SnS by preference, but it really depends on what game I'm playing.

The aerial attacks just feel so good to use. My only wish was that the stupid kunai attack didn’t put you just out of range of the monster when you use it and that it didn’t fill like it had a negative range. Sometimes I just want to get a few quick hits in to power it up. That was the only reason I was using the alternate demon mode for a while since I could just dodge into to monster after planting the kunai on them.