Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've been listening to a dune audiobook and holy poo poo count Fenring

Best character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

euphronius posted:

Best character

Mmmhrmhhm

The part where their coded language is transcribed and the two voice actors try their hardest to humm their lines is :roflolmao:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao we listened to the audiobook during our road trips up and down the east coast a few years back and the mmmnnmnnnmmnhymnnn drove my wife nuts

She loved the rest of it but was just saying "oh my god shut up" after a few minutes worth of it

I still think it's funny that the voice actor for Baron Harkkonen has this super deep voice yet the narrator just speaks his lines with this stereotypical, fat guy voice with big rear end jowls hahaha

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah I didn't care for Baron Harkonnen voice actor I think the Lynch movie version was way better. All the Harkonnen goons voices were hilarious and kind of out of place though

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Good soup! posted:

lmao we listened to the audiobook during our road trips up and down the east coast a few years back and the mmmnnmnnnmmnhymnnn drove my wife nuts

She loved the rest of it but was just saying "oh my god shut up" after a few minutes worth of it

I still think it's funny that the voice actor for Baron Harkkonen has this super deep voice yet the narrator just speaks his lines with this stereotypical, fat guy voice with big rear end jowls hahaha

To be fair in the scene at Barony for Feyds coming of age the baron does remark on how annoying it is

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Riot Bimbo posted:

I'm visiting home and I found my old edition of Dune. I think its maybe 2nd or 3rd but no idea still cool.

That font looks delicious. I could happily eat a cool, creamy Dune right now.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tree Bucket posted:

Sorry, we only have the dusty hot ones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

Dessert planet

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Riot Bimbo posted:

I'm visiting home and I found my old edition of Dune. I think its maybe 2nd or 3rd but no idea still cool.

Every crease and ripped corner, to be cherished intimately like the Sihaya.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wikipedia says first edition is blue green

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

euphronius posted:

Wikipedia says first edition is blue green

That's after Muad'dib made it rain.

yes, I know

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The dune publisher was known for automotive manuals ans business to business magazines ??

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Always tempted to buy this

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Computer-Handbook-Frank-Herbert/dp/057503050X

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

euphronius posted:

The dune publisher was known for automotive manuals ans business to business magazines ??
Yeah, it was the only publisher Frank Herbert managed to sell his book to, and not only that, the run wasn't particularly big either, yet the book somehow managed a cult following and just grew as more and more people picked it up.
Supposedly, it's one of the stereotypical "pick up at an airport and get sucked in so much that you almost miss your flight, then you suddenly realize that you've already landed" books.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, it was the only publisher Frank Herbert managed to sell his book to, and not only that, the run wasn't particularly big either, yet the book somehow managed a cult following and just grew as more and more people picked it up.
Supposedly, it's one of the stereotypical "pick up at an airport and get sucked in so much that you almost miss your flight, then you suddenly realize that you've already landed" books.

*glances at departures board*
"Kull wahad!!"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

planes within planes

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Remember when a new dune movie was going to come out and then another dune movie was going to come out a year after that hahaha

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ingmar terdman posted:

Remember when a new dune movie was going to come out and then another dune movie was going to come out a year after that hahaha

kull... wahad....

:negative:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Unfortunately it tastes like rear end and dirt.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

kiimo posted:

Unfortunately it tastes like rear end and dirt.

The smell of sietch :hai:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

How rich is the typeface of your story, Frank!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I detect serifs... italicizing... kerning...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Font within font...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I have a copy of that. Mf talkin about wifi way back then.

These are all great but esp

slide whistle

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m most of the way through my first read of Heretics. Books 1-4 were fairly consistent in their quality, but I’m surprised at how much worse Heretics is. Also: did Herbert create a rule for himself that he has to mention either a glowglobe, suspensor, or chairdog once per page? His approach to technological innovation and stagnation was so compelling through GEoD, but in Heretics it feels like he didn’t *really* want to adjust his world too far past Leto II. Other than planet names changing it basically seems like everything is the same, which is dumb.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 80% of the way through and just along for the ride. I'm a couple chapters past Miles Teg going Super Saiyan. I've certainly read worse books, but I generally recommend the series up through God Emperor since it forms a pretty complete story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like for the post God Emperor books Herbert should have done either short story anthologies, or at least kept them short and focused like Messiah. Heretics and Chapterhouse are both kind of meandering a lot of the time with no payoff for it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbf, there’s no payoff because he died.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It just sorta strains believability that after the reign of Leto II the entire power structure of the old empire is still basically intact after however many thousands of years. Bene Gesserit, Bene Tleilax, Fish Speakers, Ix, the Spacing Guild. They even still have Suk doctors! And they don’t all simply exist in name, they’re essentially unchanged. I thought the whole point of the golden path was to avoid stagnation...?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The end of Heretics will show you a few things that had only been mentioned for the rest of the book. It's worth a read, IMO, even though the last two books were the weaker of the series.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There seems to be no actual central authority iirc though. Yeah you have institutional juggernauts like the bene gesserit and the suk school, but those institutions *would* be rather resistant to change. The tleilaxu have gone from a planetary power with a niche tech market to one of the dominant powers in the old imperium, alongside the bene gesserit and scattering returnees.

It's rather changed honestly

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Miles Teg, 200 year old 7 foot tall one-man dethklok concert. Chugging soup by the gallon to relax after punching dozens of heads right off their necks

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jewmanji posted:

It just sorta strains believability that after the reign of Leto II the entire power structure of the old empire is still basically intact after however many thousands of years. Bene Gesserit, Bene Tleilax, Fish Speakers, Ix, the Spacing Guild. They even still have Suk doctors! And they don’t all simply exist in name, they’re essentially unchanged. I thought the whole point of the golden path was to avoid stagnation...?

Avoid stagnation in humanity as a whole, ie the Scattering. This was achieved by causing stagnation in the old empire and suppressing the ability of people to move, to cause wanderlust.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

exmachina posted:

Avoid stagnation in humanity as a whole, ie the Scattering. This was achieved by causing stagnation in the old empire and suppressing the ability of people to move, to cause wanderlust.

That's right. Plus all the crazy that happens moment to moment in the very end of Heretics. The Bene Tleilax, mentioned earlier go from a mighty power to a single (sexy) man/thing. Also Priesthood get hosed.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

phasmid posted:

That's right. Plus all the crazy that happens moment to moment in the very end of Heretics. The Bene Tleilax, mentioned earlier go from a mighty power to a single (sexy) man/thing. Also Priesthood get hosed.

I am just starting Chapterhouse finally and 'we've just been pretending to be stupid for eons to the point of the matres glassing our planet' -classic teliaxu'

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ramc posted:

I am just starting Chapterhouse finally and 'we've just been pretending to be stupid for eons to the point of the matres glassing our planet' -classic teliaxu'

One of the greatest lols in the Old Emperium.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Audible (UK) only has the Frank Herbert books. I do kind of wish they had all of the apparently terrible books to complete things.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Doug Sisk posted:

Audible (UK) only has the Frank Herbert books. I do kind of wish they had all of the apparently terrible books to complete things.

Mods??!?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The good news: I found a copy of Dune at Goodwill, along with a bunch of other Fantasy/Scifi Novels!

The bad: It's the 2005 40th anniversary edition. Still, my 1980s copy has the front cover fallen off from use and I don't actually know where it's gotten off to, so I needed a copy anyway"

I had picked up " DEMON" there and read the blurb on the back, thinking " why does this seem familiar" and sure enough, that is the 3rd book in that trilogy. The first book is "Titan" and I believe we have discussed it in this thread before*. I have a copy of Titan, so now I just need to stumble across a copy of "WIZARD"

*With the Centaur people that have two sets of genitals and can be a mix and match of male/female organs on the horse side and human side.

Those Foundation novels are 1952 copies.

Oh and doesn't this novel seem a little....familiar?

At least, certain elements.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can smell those books