Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Kind of reminds me of a ecoterrorist villain in the comic who wipes out Las Vegas because he thinks its a dangerous and arrogant waste of natural resources to build a city like that in the middle of a desert. He then builds a fully automated, futuristic solar plant over the ruins that provides free, ecologically friendly power to the entire planet.

The heroes are appalled that he killed an entire city full of people to do this, but they have to grudgingly admit that the solar plant is really effective, and that he had a point about Las Vegas.

this is something thats bugging the hell out of me with the stand is darkman keeping las vegas functional using literal magic powers

because if so hes automatically a much better leader than whoopi goldberg whose powers just seem to be less useful versions of his

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i want one of these people to explain sometime what they think infinite jest is about

a metanarrative critique of american culture and also tennis

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

this is something thats bugging the hell out of me with the stand is darkman keeping las vegas functional using literal magic powers

because if so hes automatically a much better leader than whoopi goldberg whose powers just seem to be less useful versions of his

But the people are having SEX! And wearing gaudy outfits!
I seriously want to know who's truly behind the 2020 adaption because it's filmed like an honest to god PureFlix production. that and they literally skipped over the "virus wipes out mankind" part of a story that's about when a virus wipes out mankind.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BarkyBoogz/status/1376172838760161281

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As a teen I was a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Hahaha.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i saw Alien 3 in the theater as a child because my friend convinced his mom to chaperone us. at the time it made me really mad because right at the start they killed my best friends from Aliens, which at the time i considered to be the most badass movie in existence. as i got older i got over it.

Resurrection is garbage. even Prometheus and Covenant are superior.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I wish we had Brendon Frasier star lord

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

i saw Alien 3 in the theater as a child because my friend convinced his mom to chaperone us. at the time it made me really mad because right at the start they killed my best friends from Aliens, which at the time i considered to be the most badass movie in existence. as i got older i got over it.

Resurrection is garbage. even Prometheus and Covenant are superior.

Yeah a lot of people get mad that Newt and Hix are killed (off screen none the less) at the beginning of 3. I think 3 (especially the directors cut) is a good Alien movie, but a bad sequel to Aliens. Covenant was pretty good, till the 3rd act where it completely poo poo the bed. Get these movies away from Ridley Scott.

The shorts that were done in 2019 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Alien I thought were all pretty good and captured what an Alien movie should feel like for God knows whatever shoestring budget they were made on

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

KomradeX posted:

Yeah a lot of people get mad that Newt and Hix are killed (off screen none the less) at the beginning of 3. I think 3 (especially the directors cut) is a good Alien movie, but a bad sequel to Aliens. Covenant was pretty good, till the 3rd act where it completely poo poo the bed. Get these movies away from Ridley Scott.

The shorts that were done in 2019 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Alien I thought were all pretty good and captured what an Alien movie should feel like for God knows whatever shoestring budget they were made on

speaking of shorts I remember thinking this was really good and getting excited about Prometheus. :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJs7uluwlU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Hootington posted:

I'll take any excuse to say I feel like George of the Jungle and Kung Pow are very similar movies, as someone who loves both.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Killing Newt and Hicks was the right move.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

speaking of shorts I remember thinking this was really good and getting excited about Prometheus. :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJs7uluwlU

The promotional stuff around Prometheus was great. And I still think that movie isn't bad. Ridley Scott just isn't into the themes of what makes the Xeno appealing and wanted to make movies about robots and God.

Covenant showing a baby Xeno looking like a smaller Xeno was insane, that whole third act made me dislike a movie that had begrudgingly won me over

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

KomradeX posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again, Resurrection is easily the worst movie in the Aliens series and it's entirely on Joss Whedon"s writing

oh you're absolutely right. But it is garishly ugly and stupid in a way that kind of appeals to me.

and I like Winona Ryder

coathat
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Chris Pratt should have to pay Frasier a significant amount of money for copying

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

oh you're absolutely right. But it is garishly ugly and stupid in a way that kind of appeals to me.

and I like Winona Ryder

The cast does the best they can with what they were given (even if the crew of the Betty are the Alpha versions of the Firefly crew) but Whedon's lovely dialogue and 90s End of History poo poo just bleed through to much.

Like I went and rewatched Scream back im October and I found the dialogue in that cringe inducing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The crea of the Betty are a bunch of unsynpathetic sociopatchs and Call gets treated in a really creepy way by every male character.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'll take any excuse to say I feel like George of the Jungle and Kung Pow are very similar movies, as someone who loves both.

Woah, that mental connection makes a lot of sense

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

He's a lot of fun in "Doom Patrol."

Also Timothy Dalton fucks a monkey-woman.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The Cinematographer for Alien had never shot a feature before (but a ton of TV commercials). It’s easily one of the best shot films of the 70s. I’ve seen an anamorphic print and it’s a masterpiece of lighting and camera alone imo

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Like I went and rewatched Scream back im October and I found the dialogue in that cringe inducing

i personally adore scream but I can understand that. it's definitely a product of its time

it is Example #1 though in my thesis that Matthew Lillard is one of the most underappreciated and underutilized actors of the last thirty years. David Lynch tapping him for The Return was genius

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

As a teen I was a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Hahaha.

the scifi fandom convention scene in the 20th century had an almost Epstein level amount of sexual assault

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

i personally adore scream but I can understand that. it's definitely a product of its time

it is Example #1 though in my thesis that Matthew Lillard is one of the most underappreciated and underutilized actors of the last thirty years. David Lynch tapping him for The Return was genius

my college roommates and I watched "The Curve" featuring him and that movie was a goddamn hoot. maybe it's not good when you're not stoned off your rear end but you know

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The crea of the Betty are a bunch of unsynpathetic sociopatchs and Call gets treated in a really creepy way by every male character.

Yeah, the Betty are pirates who kidnapped people to be murdered in a secret government experiment (lol that WalMart is bigger than Weyland-Yutani now)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

I will say it's still like 90% great, but the consent talk in movie metaphor drove me crazy that humans don't talk like that, but besides that it holds up

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Killing Newt and Hicks was the right move.

It would be kinda hard to explain how Newt had suddenly become a teenager despite it at best being months between what happened in Aliens and Alien 3.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

my college roommates and I watched "The Curve" featuring him and that movie was a goddamn hoot. maybe it's not good when you're not stoned off your rear end but you know

the curve is great! I actually forgot about that one. if anyone else is a poo poo movie connoisseur Dish Dogs with Lillard, Sean Astin and Brian Dennehy is a great watch. it's about two homeless dudes that travel the US working dishwashing jobs and coming up with really bad philosophy. intensely C-SPAM film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePKGzJItJB8

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The best way to not piss people off for killing Newt and Hicks is to just not make more Alien movies. It's abundantly clear now that 1 and 2 told everything the premise had to tell. Every film after has just been a pointless retread, sometimes of 1 sometimes of 2 but always a retread.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

galagazombie posted:

The best way to not piss people off for killing Newt and Hicks is to just not make more Alien movies. It's abundantly clear now that 1 and 2 told everything the premise had to tell. Every film after has just been a pointless retread, sometimes of 1 sometimes of 2 but always a retread.

i get what you're saying about the overall plot structure but i think each film is saying something really different. Prometheus is saying something different from Alien 3 which says something different from Alien. They all do something unique with the premise imo, even the AvP films

like, (most) Friday the 13th are retreads of Part 2 & 3. all the Hellraiser films are retreads. I wouldn't describe Alien that way

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
the whole Newt being Ripley's surrogate daughter (to replace the dead one) subplot was kinda hamfisted anyway

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Tricky D posted:

the whole Newt being Ripley's surrogate daughter (to replace the dead one) subplot was kinda hamfisted anyway

it was pretty funny how alien isolation revealed that ripley's daughter independently discovered xenomorphs on a space station totally separately from ripley

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
that sounds some JJ Abrams film school style of ~*everything is connected*~

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

i get what you're saying about the overall plot structure but i think each film is saying something really different. Prometheus is saying something different from Alien 3 which says something different from Alien. They all do something unique with the premise imo, even the AvP films

like, (most) Friday the 13th are retreads of Part 2 & 3. all the Hellraiser films are retreads. I wouldn't describe Alien that way

prometheus is just alien but all the characters are dumbasses who say the themes of the movie out loud to eachother in every scene

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

coathat posted:

Chris Pratt should have to pay Frasier a significant amount of money for copying

Now that's a crossover I wanna see

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Farm Frenzy posted:

prometheus is just alien but all the characters are dumbasses who say the themes of the movie out loud to eachother in every scene

incorrect, prometheus is blade runner but all the characters are dumbasses who say the themes of the movie out loud to each other in every scene

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Saying all the themes out loud is just how movies are made now grandpa.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Prometheus is good

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Prometheus is good

yes but Covenant is better

edit: it owns that Ridley Scott never got to make his Blood Meridian movie so he just made David into Judge Holden in Covenant

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

prison breaks on korean cable for some reason and man i miss when tv shows were sincere and just let the fans do the snarking in regards to the sillier plot points im gonna give the second season a try i only watched the first when it was new since i figured I should quit while i was ahead

my cspammy observation is that its genuinely impossible to tell whether the evil vice president is supposed to be a democrat or a republican and today this reads less like a deliberate attempt to avoid antagonizing half the audience and more an accidental commentary on how hilary clinton is basically a republican wearing the wrong colored hat

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Even Veep doesn't say which party Selina Meyer belongs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

josh04 posted:

incorrect, prometheus is blade runner but all the characters are dumbasses who say the themes of the movie out loud to each other in every scene

the difference is, in Blade Runner only Roy Batty says the themes out loud